Explain Real If you Can

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
What is real. How do you define "real"

Darth Revan

FistOfThe North

Alpha Centauri
Well Morph, it's hard to define.

Real in bog standard for would mean existant. I don't class stuff I can't sense as non-existant, because senses can't pick up alot of things. I don't class stuff I'm not aware of as non-existant in most cases, unless provable, because there's too much we don't understand as a race and I don't understand as a person, with regards to the infinity and the eternal.

-AC

FistOfThe North
yea its morpheus's line so..lol

who doesn't know that.

you get a cookie. im just messin' around alpha, jeeeez lol

I hate it when you take me so seriouslylol, lighten up buddy.

Jackie Malfoy
I say real means something that is there something we see or hear or can touch.That is real.jm

joeykangaroo
the truth? nah that dont quite work

debbiejo
I don't know if you can really define it...Because I don't know if there is really something called real, unless it is only the one precise moment that is NOW. And then after that is not real anymore.. blink

Storm
Real is something that exists, in the physical sense.

Darth Revan
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
But how do you define it Revan..What is real in your words in your world...think. Free your mind.

I do think, and my thoughts on the word "real" happen to be about the same as the dictionary definition, coincidentally.

Real=existant. The difficult part comes when you have no proof of an object's existance. ie, if it existed in the past but there was no physical documentation made of its existance. It still existed, but the human brain is very easily persuaded otherwise.

Telpy
Can be many meanings to it!

Something to can't touch can be real.... But what about your soul?

Darth Revan
You're wrong. I can't touch childhood memories of a pet, for example, but they're still real. That or somebody's been ****ing with my brain.

BackFire
Congrats, you can quote the Matrix.

Filth
I no longer can define real, everything seems so unreal I lost concept of reality...

jaden101
if i do a turd in the bog at work...and then leave the scene without disposing of the body...and then someone comes up a little later and says.."jesus ****ing holy christ on a bike...there's a turd in the bog that could kill an elephant"...then i know its definitely real

Filth
^very unpleasant

§P0oONY
The word Nothing is a much harder word to define then the word real...

debbiejo
Can you explain what "Real" is...

Hope this wasn't done before.

debbiejo
Ok, if you can't explain real, then explain hyper dimensional warp systems.

Ou Be Low hoo
'Real' is something that has a varifiable existence. In philosophical terms, it is the notion of existing objectively in the world regardless of subjectivity or conventions of thought or language.

Storm
Originally posted by debbiejo
Can you explain what "Real" is...

Hope this wasn't done before.
Hope and in the future also look again: What is real. How do you define "real"

Jackie Malfoy
You are asking to exclaim something that we can not exclaim.It is inpossible to exclaim the meaning of Real even looking it up in the dictionary does not help.JM

botankus
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
You are asking to exclaim something that we can not exclaim.It is inpossible to exclaim the meaning of Real even looking it up in the dictionary does not help.JM

Okay, I'll exclaim it: "The Meaning of Real even looking it up in the dictionary does not help.JM"

I did it!

KharmaDog
I'll "exclaim" that there are members of this board who are more surreal than real.

debbiejo
What about a schizophrenic person who "Real Thinks" things are real..To them it is real...Could it be that they have tapped into something that we cannot sense. There is so much we don't know about "Real". Look at kids with autism. Some of them are brilliant, when the rest of us feel we are more intelligent then them...

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
What is real. How do you define "real"

a tangible truth

debbiejo
Real is what you perceive at any present moment in what ever dimension you're in.

((The_Anomaly))
"real" is really nothing, other then what we make it. to define what is real and what is not real is subjective and impossible to correctly define. unless you have some kind of omniscient mind, then its not possible, and since people do not, we can never really define it.

"what is real, how do you define real, if your talking about hat we can hear, touch, taste, and smell then real is nothing more then electrical signals interpreted by our brain"

that is the truth, and since we sometimes "see" things that are not "real" (i.e. we see a shadow or a cat when its not really there) , etc. then our senses cannot be trusted, because if they can trick us once, whats to say they are not tricking us all the time...

so really real is nothing...

R355UR3CT
Real is the definition of something that ironically we can't define. In the beginning we know there is "something", so for arguements sake we will call it real. Everything else must unreal then by default. But there is a problem, no boundaries are set, where does real end, and the unreal begin. It's like pointing to two areas infront of you, (there 1) and (there 2). when does area (there 1) become area (there 2)?

Different occasion, different people, and different factors will change the boundaries accordingly.

is there a boundary?

And the answer is....

I DONT KNOW! haha hehe... man I'm hungry

debbiejo
Hey, that's good...But there can be individual moments of personal real.

R355UR3CT
And you know i didnt even quote the matrix... haha

calvinNhobbes
Real to me is determined by my senses. Anything outside of my senses is based on degrees of separation from those senses and from the knowledge I have structured to classify things that have come into the my fields of perception. Therefore my reality is extended beyond my immediate proximity. You can say that my reality is flexible from a top down to a bottom up perception based on how I am using my senses and what I am sensing with how I am processing the information I recieve. Thereby my reality can be different from others.

Big Evil
The pain.

Dreams have a tendency to lack it, you emulate fear, you impersonate dread, but you never "feel" it. Even physichal sensation is jaded and almost done in a lesser dimension. Which it infact is.

Life is far too painful and deathly to NOT be real..

debbiejo
Originally posted by calvinNhobbes
Real to me is determined by my senses. Anything outside of my senses is based on degrees of separation from those senses and from the knowledge I have structured to classify things that have come into the my fields of perception. Therefore my reality is extended beyond my immediate proximity. You can say that my reality is flexible from a top down to a bottom up perception based on how I am using my senses and what I am sensing with how I am processing the information I recieve. Thereby my reality can be different from others.

I like that, your senses...That could also include our 6th sense. Though we can all use our sixth sense and say what we preceive is real, the next person, not using the sixth sense, may not say it is...Though infact it really is...just unsensed so to say.

Darth Revan

debbiejo
You must be very left brained.

And there have been some interesting studies regarding schizophrenia and some of what they perceive...

Darth Revan
Not really, I'm interesting that way, I'm a very logical thinker, but I like to play music, draw and etc. smile

debbiejo
Logical = left brain, usually, that's a good thing...we need those...Me, I'm very right brain...creative...and always looking at all the possibilities

Darth Revan
Derr, I know what left and right brained are. But I don't believe that anybody is strictly left or right. I'm a very logical thinker when it comes to philosophy and so forth, but I'm also creative. And it's not that I don't look at all possibilities, it's just that I think quite a lot of them are shit.

peterKSL
"I think, therefore I exist" This defined real... didn't it?

Zilem
Ha you ask what is real, t hat is a question as of what is god? Real to me though id have to say would be anything really

AdventChild
great..another stupid post made by Zilem.......real is anything that can be proven scientifically, emotionally, spritually(Your Mind) and with the human sense...that is what i call real....God in my opinion isn't real...God misses 2/4 Real Elements....which are Scientifically and emotionally...

Atlantis001

Sweden_rules

AdventChild

Shakyamunison
What about something that is so small or so far away that it has no effect on us, is it real or not?

A galaxy that is at the far end of the cosmos, is it real?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
What about something that is so small or so far away that it has no effect on us, is it real or not?

A galaxy that is at the far end of the cosmos, is it real?

The invisible is real....It's filled with living sub particles..

Shakyamunison
Hi debbiejo

I agree with you. I was referring to Atlantis001's last post. Sorry for not making that clear.

debbiejo
OK....

Atlantis001 the real is still real even if it DOESN't interact with you.

Atlantis001

Shakyamunison
Hi Atlantis001

I am glad you brought up the uncertainty principle. If you had not, I would have. Because we can not measure something, does not mean that it can not be measured in some way unknown to us. Does a photon at rest exist? Or, just what is a quark with a spin of 2?

Here is what I think:

Nothingness is the only thing that is real; everything else is temporal.

abdulkkadir
realty is being nothing or real is to be nothing in every min in your life

Darth_Janus
Hm. I think it's been pretty well tied up. I just had to make a comment on the "I think, therefore I am real comment on the previous page"...

Rocks don't think. Are they there?

Fishy
No...

People really take that quote of context.

I think therefor I am means you and only you.

When I question if I am here then I know that I am here. You can do the same thing and that would make you know you exist. But it would not make me know if you exist.

That rock for as far as you know could disappear the second you stop thinking about it, stop seeing it stop feeling it. How do you know? you don't. Thats the idea behind that quote. You think therefor you are. Not all that thinks is, and all that does not think is not.

T.M
being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verified existence; not illusory; "real objects"; "real people; not ghosts"; "a film based on real life"; "a real illness"; "real humility"; "Life is real! Life is earnest!"- Longfellow

real(a): no less than what is stated; worthy of the name; "the real reason"; "real war"; "a real friend"; "a real woman"; "meat and potatoes--I call that a real meal"; "it's time he had a real job"; "it's no penny-ante job--he's making real money"

actual: being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something; "her actual motive"; "a literal solitude like a desert"- G.K.Chesterton; "a genuine dilemma"
not synthetic or spurious; of real or natural origin; "real mink"; "true gold"

not to be taken lightly; "statistics demonstrate that poverty and unemployment are very real problems"; "to the man sleeping regularly in doorways homelessness is real"

possible to be treated as fact; "tangible evidence"; "his brief time as Prime Minister brought few real benefits to the poor"

being value measured in terms of purchasing power; "real prices"; "real income"; "real wages"

substantial: having substance or capable of being treated as fact; not imaginary; "the substantial world"; "a mere dream, neither substantial nor practical"; "most ponderous and substantial things"- Shakespeare
(of property) fixed or immovable; "real property consists of land and buildings; real estate"

veridical: coinciding with reality; "perceptual error...has a surprising resemblance to veridical perception"- F.A.Olafson

real number: any rational or irrational number

an old small silver Spanish coin

founded on practical matters; "a recent graduate experiencing the real world for the first time"

very: used as intensifiers; `real' is sometimes used informally for `really'; `rattling' is informal; "she was very gifted"; "he played very well"; "a really enjoyable evening"; "I'm real sorry about it"; "a rattling good yarn"

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by T.M
being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verified existence; not illusory; "real objects"; "real people; not ghosts"; "a film based on real life"; "a real illness"; "real humility"; "Life is real! Life is earnest!"- Longfellow

real(a): no less than what is stated; worthy of the name; "the real reason"; "real war"; "a real friend"; "a real woman"; "meat and potatoes--I call that a real meal"; "it's time he had a real job"; "it's no penny-ante job--he's making real money"

actual: being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something; "her actual motive"; "a literal solitude like a desert"- G.K.Chesterton; "a genuine dilemma"
not synthetic or spurious; of real or natural origin; "real mink"; "true gold"

not to be taken lightly; "statistics demonstrate that poverty and unemployment are very real problems"; "to the man sleeping regularly in doorways homelessness is real"

possible to be treated as fact; "tangible evidence"; "his brief time as Prime Minister brought few real benefits to the poor"

being value measured in terms of purchasing power; "real prices"; "real income"; "real wages"

substantial: having substance or capable of being treated as fact; not imaginary; "the substantial world"; "a mere dream, neither substantial nor practical"; "most ponderous and substantial things"- Shakespeare
(of property) fixed or immovable; "real property consists of land and buildings; real estate"

veridical: coinciding with reality; "perceptual error...has a surprising resemblance to veridical perception"- F.A.Olafson

real number: any rational or irrational number

an old small silver Spanish coin

founded on practical matters; "a recent graduate experiencing the real world for the first time"

very: used as intensifiers; `real' is sometimes used informally for `really'; `rattling' is informal; "she was very gifted"; "he played very well"; "a really enjoyable evening"; "I'm real sorry about it"; "a rattling good yarn"

Get real laughing

Darth_Janus
Well, the argument is define real. Since real is already defined as posted before, what's the point? I mean, I could go on and on about how we can't know this, or we can't know that... That's bordering on "Define truth". And since most people can argue we can't know truth, obviously we can't know real either... Meh... I hate work... INterupts my line of thought.

JediMusician
Defining real is simple, and has been done a few times already.
Real is existing.
So now define what it means to "exist."

EsteemedLeader
real does not exist. for example, do dragons exist? no, but im sure all of you can tell me what one looks like anyway. real pertains to labelling. if i were to call my dog a dragon, how would people respond? "thats not a real dragon" so dragons must exist then. there is no real or unreal since the world is all interpretted through little electrical signals anyway. if something has the potential to exist, it must be real. thusly, anything your imagination can concieve is real. can you concieve the thought of "real"? no, real can not potentially exist. so, real does not exist.

debbiejo
I feel the physical though we see it really is a deception of what real is...physical and nonphysical are just as real...Everything has a vibration to it...Just because you can't see it doesn't make it less real.

cking
vibration?

Darth_Janus
Vibes. A natural feel outside of the basic senses.

cking
that really doesn't make any sense.

debbiejo
Study physics...Quantum physics...String Theory.....then you'll understand....

Atlantis001

debbiejo
But to answer your question about connectedness..through vibrations and frequencies....the way I've understood and read about it..is that with the discovery made by quantum physicists when breaking matter into smaller and smaller pieces you eventually reach a point where those pieces...the electron, protons...etc..no long posses any traits of the object....Physicists have found that it literally possesses no dimensions..If you try to measure the width of an electron you will discover that it is impossible...an electron simply is not an object as we know it..Also they've found that an electron can manifest as either a particle or wave..but not the only form..it can also dissolve into a blurry cloud of energy and behave as it were a Wave spread out over space...When it manifests into a wave it can do things no particle can do..If it is fired at a barrier in which two slits have been cut...it can go through both slits simultaneously...when in a wave like form..it creates interference patterns...Electrons are shape shifters..To shape shift is just another capacity of quantum's abilities..It's been realized that these particles have an interconnectedness...This new field is called quantum potential and theorized that like gravity, it pervades all of space, but unlike gravity fields, magnetic fields...etc...it's influence didn't diminish with distance...Science realized that this quantum potential acted as an organized whole.....and the the particles are not independent things, but parts of the indivisible whole system...and that it was more primary then reality....Physicists called this property "non locality."...So, everything is connected as a whole when you get down to the subatomic particles...you, me, the universe, your lamp, your table...our thoughts...There have been many experiments done in this area...and I find it fascinating that we all are connected to this SOMETHING...AND TO EACH OTHER....And this something has some kind of intelligence that inter reacts with each of us and we are that intelligence also. Everything has a vibration/frequency and other dimensions...alternate realities...particles also blink in and out of what our eyes can see...Where do they go?????...then they come right back.....sounds like dimensions.

Hope this helps though I'm not an expert...I copied this from what I've written else where.

Atlantis001

JediMusician
That sounds like justification for the Force.

debbiejo
Originally posted by JediMusician
That sounds like justification for the Force.

It is like the Force...

JediMusician
Always looking for new ways to enter the Force into rational conversation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.