which trilogy was better the first or the second and why?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

supercybergeek
Has anyone gone back to watch the orginal star wars? Is it better or worse? What are the main differences?

I have only watched a bit of ANH and first of all a main theme was does the force exist. Which was very important to the movie. In the new ones, everyone knows the force exist.

2ndly Han solo and Liea carry the movie acting wise. Anakin and Padme are boring.

ragesRemorse
I think the prequal was not as good for two different reasons. The first is maybe the movies were not as bad as most people thought. I think expectations were a bit high. Secondly, i think it felt so different because Lucas focused more on visual awe than story. He even said that, though the originals were visually astounding, the driving force of the orginals was story. He said the driving force behind the prequalls was creating a visual atmosphere. Lightining doesnt strike twice.

mysterio69
the ot is better, but the pt is still damn cool, in it's own right. but i think those who grew up w/ the ot will always prefer it to the pt.

HAROLD
The OT will forever be one of the most memorable franchises in film history; not just because of the ground-breaking visual effects, but because of the characters. The PT was completely devoid of ANY new characters that anyone really cared about.

mysterio69
exactly. the only ones we care about in the pt are anakin, obi-wan and padme. the rest are all small roles, in comparison. well, let's not forget palpy...even though he's the bad guy. we all secretly care about him too. we just don't seem to have anyone to root for this time. we know the outcome. in the ot, we were cheering on these rebels fighting agaist a giant empire. this time, we were really just waiting for the last act of ep III.

palpy_666
PT... The best.
OT... Eh.. okay.

Search your feelings everyone... you will know it to be true. The PT is way better. You're all just clinging to the OT because it's classic.

Oh, btw.. I'm a life long Star Wars fan and grew up with the OT. wink

HAROLD
The PT could've been so much better than it was.

supercybergeek
yeah the story telling in the PT is dismal

macgeek2005
The PT is a Tragedy, and one of the greatest ever told.

mysterio69
Originally posted by palpy_666
PT... The best.
OT... Eh.. okay.

Search your feelings everyone... you will know it to be true. The PT is way better. You're all just clinging to the OT because it's classic.

Oh, btw.. I'm a life long Star Wars fan and grew up with the OT. wink

-searching feelings....searching...- yep. ot is till better. but hell, opinions are like assholes, right? we all got 'em.

mace7386
Im gonna have to go with the PT just because im more of a huge fan of jedi and the PT has lots of em, but the OT is still a classic

DeVi| D0do
There's no comparison to be made...

The OT is far superior.

darthmonkey9206
why did you make this thread. Now we are going to start a debate, along with the god-awful prequel bashers. Anyways i like both. RotS really made the prequels look good.

Tulak Hord
Everyone, as of this moment, I call a vote of No-Confidence for the PT! OT rules all! Vote now! Vote Now!

Tulak Hord
Seriously, I like the PT if only because of Anakin's whole attitude. But that's one person. I like EVERYONE in the OT. Hence it's better.

Vanquish
PT is better for several reasons. First, the characters are not nearly as annoying. Sure there is the odd Jar Jar binks, but overall the characters and actors are just superior to the OT actors (Han solo aside of course). Secondly, the PT story line is FAR more complex. Ya I know what you're thinking, but its the truth. The OT storyline was simplistic when you think about it. A small number of characters, either good or bad, with one simple plot line that follows. No explanation of how they became that way. They just are. But the PT has the same focus on storyline, but it also throws in a lot of politics, and a lot of back story on exactly what the galaxy is all about. The writing on how Palps came to power was brilliant I think. The whole backstory on the republic and what it actualy is was also great. In the OT, we just know there is empire and rebels, with no real mention of who they are, or how they came to be. PT covers a massive spectrum of things. Plus more focus on the two greatest characters in the entire Star wars saga. Yoda of course, and Obi wan. If only that damn "chosen one" and midiclorians was omitted, it would have been perfect. They were not needed at all. Anakin could have been trained, and fall to the dark side, and come back to the light all on his own. We didn't need a chosen one story for that. Anyway...

PT owns the OT

Tulak Hord
If there was any mention of how the Empire came to be in the OT, then there'd be no PT, now would there?

atila the great
Originally posted by Tulak Hord
Everyone, as of this moment, I call a vote of No-Confidence for the PT! OT rules all! Vote now! Vote Now!

dude you're qouting lines from the PT to say OT rules huh

Tulak Hord
Yeah...

supercybergeek
So I guess he wasn't the choosen one

ayjay
well....obviously PT blew OT to dust graphics wise...especially ROTS. I agree that PT had a much more complexed story behind it, and personally, i found it interesting, knowing the source and origin of all da stuff. And just to see yoda kick total ass was...ecstacy.....we got to see everyon in their PRIME....obi wan at his peak, anakin at his peak, yoda at his peak. in OT we see an old run down jedi, a robotic ex-jedi who can barely swing a saber, and a jedi wannabe who's still immature in his knowledge of the force in comparison to those in the PT.

granted, OT was groundbreaking, and i have a high respect for it....i feel the plot behind PT was more alluring...

supercybergeek
Originally posted by ayjay
well....obviously PT blew OT to dust graphics wise...especially ROTS. I agree that PT had a much more complexed story behind it, and personally, i found it interesting, knowing the source and origin of all da stuff. And just to see yoda kick total ass was...ecstacy.....we got to see everyon in their PRIME....obi wan at his peak, anakin at his peak, yoda at his peak. in OT we see an old run down jedi, a robotic ex-jedi who can barely swing a saber, and a jedi wannabe who's still immature in his knowledge of the force in comparison to those in the PT.

granted, OT was groundbreaking, and i have a high respect for it....i feel the plot behind PT was more alluring...

Yes the graphics and story may have been better in the PT, but the story telling method was horrible. They really rushed it, and all 3 PT had much unexplained questions. Maybe to a crazed star wars fans it all makes perfect sense. I guess other people can't enjoy it on that level

DeVi| D0do
Episode III may have been rushed, but bugger all happens in Episode II... which is why it's so pointless.

jon84
Well, in this case... you can't have one without the other so... i say both! eek!

DeVi| D0do
Obviously you can have one without the other... the OT survived on its own for 20 years!

I like the PT. I love the OT.

jon84
All, i'm saying is... i love the movies as a ''whole,'' sure the OT survied 20+ years and i respect that! what if the PT was never made? then we wouldn't get to see the entire story on film... Anyways, they both rock!

supercybergeek
I say episode 1 was the best out of the PT becasue it made the least mistakes.

DeVi| D0do
You're right about that. That's what is wrong with the PT... it makes mistakes you couldn't even dream of finding in the OT ('cept maybe Jedi). And worse, it creates problems with continuity in the OT. George... screw one trilogy up at a time, please!

@F1
Ep III is definetly up there with the Ep 4, 5, 6. But overall the original 3 are much better, story wise and characters. You just couldn't imagine Harrison Ford not playing HSolo.

astrofan428
Ummmmmmmm, Im gonna say.......Prequels .

-pulls a GG and runs like a *****-

It is hard to explain but that is how I feel. I love the OT, have since I was born. Maybe that is the problem, I was born 2 years after ROTJ. I had to be shown the OT, but when the PT came out I got to experience it.

DeVi| D0do
I was born 4 years after Jedi came out (2 years and one day after you as a matter of fact wink ) and I too had to be shown it...

It all just comes down to peolpe having different tastes...

astrofan428
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I was born 4 years after Jedi came out (2 years and one day after you as a matter of fact wink )

Dont know why, but that is cool, well interesting atleast. stick out tongue

Robin Darkside
I dont know, Has anyone ever had the same feeling of EPIII in the OT. The sadness part of it anyway. The OT had a different but good feeling. The OT was great, and the PT was great also, So why compare them . They are all part of one saga. I like them equally.
I'm only going to watch the PT more becase its new, thats all

astrofan428
Both trilogies have very different tones. E3 has put a very sad tone on the entire PT, while the OT(except parts of ESB) has a very happy, everything will be alright feel.

Clone-pilot
Originally posted by supercybergeek
Has anyone gone back to watch the orginal star wars? Is it better or worse? What are the main differences?

I have only watched a bit of ANH and first of all a main theme was does the force exist. Which was very important to the movie. In the new ones, everyone knows the force exist.

2ndly Han solo and Liea carry the movie acting wise. Anakin and Padme are boring.

In my opinion each film is equally important to the Star Wars story , and rather than pick a favourite out of the lot , I'd instead view them as one complete and amazing epic.
Each one has it's own good and bad point , each has something that makes it stand out from the rest :
Episode 1 has the exellent Pod-race , the underwater visuals the simultaneous three-way battle including the impressive Darth Maul Vs Obi Wan/Qui Gon LS battle .
Episode 2 has the mouthwatering visuals of the car chase through Coruscant , the fantastic cat and mouse action between Obi Wan and Jango Fett in the rings of Geonosis and the Jedi meets Gladiator feel the Stadium fight followed by the battle to end all battles (Clone Army VS TF)
Episode 3 has too many good points to mention in a few lines.
Episode 4 besides being the movie that began my fascination with spaceships , also has a planet exploding and my joint favourite space fight of all time.
Episode 5 has the heavy storyline , taking Star Wars to a much deeper and darker level , as well as the brilliance of the Hoth attack , the asteroid field chase , and Luke and Vader's first encounter. Not only this but it takes things to a pessimistic level making us think that all hope is lost and the bad-guys have won which leads me to....
Episode 6 , the uplifting , victory-fest of a finale , with the scrap over the Sarlak pit (which BTW looked better without the beak George) , Yoda's upsetting departure , the speeder chase , the fall of Darth Vader followed by his return to good , and my favourite space fight ever !!!

Hard to pick a favourite , but if any it's got to be the Jedi

smoker4
OT everytime for me

Texansfan05
My Rankings

1 ROTS
2 ESB
3 ANH
4 AOTC
5 TPM
6 ROTJ

I love them all but I think the PT for me is a little better and 2 of my top 3 are OT films.

The Ones
i bet if prequel trilogy came out back in 1977, and originals was made now, i bet everyone would say "oh the PT is so good because it was the 1st movie to have those effects and its classic". and i bet episode 4 would make you feel "empty" so called. if ANH came out after ROTS, i bet you would say "it was crap because it didnt go with the PT".

think about it like that. i have to say prequels because OT kinda sucked both story and visual wise (expecialy ANH. i saw it once and i havnt ever seen it since)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.