Why did Owen and Beru really dislike ObiWan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robin Darkside
I know that they must have really cared for their son Luke. But ObiWan was the one who brought Luke to them. Shouldn't he get a little a credit for that?, and he promised to look over Luke, which was really cool and totally explained why Obiwan was a strange old hermit on Tattoine. So, Owen and Beru know that Obiwan is looking out for him. They shouldn;t bring him down. I guess times change during that 20 year interval, but if it wasn;t for Obiwan then Luke wouldn;t be around. They would be harvesting on their own.

Gollum1956
Their was a comic where darth maul comes back cybernetic and nearly kills Owen and Obi Wan fights and nearly gets killed and Owen raises and shoots Darth Maul with a blaster somthing like that.And as he came their he was followed and nearly killed with Owen.

Robin Darkside
thats interesting for a comic book

Darth_Otaku
But that's no reason to hate Obi Wan,i think they hate him cuz they know he's going to take Luke away from them.

Robin Darkside
yes, thats the obvious reason, they dont like him because he might follow Obiwan and get himself killed or something. But they still should appreciate Obiwan. Luke has a destiny and Owen and Beru should know that. The only reason Luke left was because they died

yerssot
Anakin left Shmi, I think Owen was pretty sure that if he stayed, Shmi would have been saved sooner and survived the trip.
That and now that they can be save, this crazy guy they never met wants to take the kid away again after 18-19 years to fight a battle he simply can't win

queeq
We'll never know. All we have is a line from OB1: "He was afraid you'd follow old OB1 in some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did." Not that Anakin actually followed OB1 per se, but what the heck. The PT turned OB1 into a liar anyway.

yerssot
it all depends on your point of view

yodafan
I think they raised luke like parents and didn't want Obi-Wa to take him away from them and get him killed. They knew that one day Obi-Wan would want him to be trained as a Jedi.

yerssot
if he wanted to train luke, why not start that at the decent age like with the younglings?

EHmasterJedi
It wasnt so much that they didnt want obi-wan to take him away, it was that Owen didnt want luke to know to much to fast, like Vader being his father, as Owen said "thats what im afraid of", if he was to become a Jedi or ever face his father the Force would make it happen, which it did, thats what Obi-Wan was waiting for a sign from the force to train luke, which happened when luke practically went to Obi-Wan.

Owen didnt hate Obi-Wan, he was just trying to protect luke from himself/egerness.

adele2k5
no they make out like his a crazy old man to luke as he must of seem him watching him until the truth is revealed. i dont think owen hated obi1 its just hes loves luke as his own and doesnt want him to end up like anakin

NoFate007
I don't wanna mention fan fiction here, but I had an idea for an Episode 3.5 so to speak, and in it, I was gonna address this issue. Basically it was gonna involve a whole other plot besides Luke and such, focusing mainly on the extinction of the last 200 Jedi that actually start the rebel alliance, but there would be scenes with Luke and Leia on their respective planets. And one scene I had was Obi-Wan training Luke in some very light things, like, the ability to focus, and how to control anger and stuff, not actual lightsaber techniques or something. Anyway, in it, there was gonna be a conversation with Beru and Kenobi, where Beru tells him that although they trust Obi-Wan, and they're thankful for him, they still think it would be best if Luke wasn't seen with the old man with the lightsaber. Obi-Wan, in his scenes, acted as a godfather to Luke in a way, or a babysitter, whilst slightly training him.

I've always thought that they were just nervous about Luke turning evil, not that they disrespected Obi-Wan or anything.

mysterio69
yes, but owen states that "he died around the same time as your father." obviously, luke has no contact with obi-wan. "ben kenobi is just a weird legend around those parts.

Morning_Glory
I didnt think beru and owen disliked Obi wan,... where did this all come from>???

Darth Jello
I think it was fear that history would repeat itself. Listen to him say "that's what i'm afraid of" when Beru mentions anakin in ANH. Owen and Beru know the score and don't want another Darth Vader in the family.

Morning_Glory
oh true ^

Robin Darkside
nobody said Owen hated Obiwan, only that he didn't appreciate him. Yeah, maybe Luke should have learned the force by Obiwan at a young age. But then this was at a time where Obiwan failed with Anakin and maybe didn;t want Luke to turn out the same way. The oportune moment came when Obiwan was too old and Leia needed that R2 droid safely delivered.

mysterio69
i don't think he hated or underapperciated him. he just knew that now the son of one of the 2 most evil bastards in the galaxy is now in his custody. quite the undertaking, i'd say. and he obviously knew why he had to take him and didn't want him to have any contact whatsoever w/ obi-wan. yoda and obi-wan obviously planned on using luke later to defeat the empire, and i'm sure owen figured that was the case.

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by mysterio69
i don't think he hated or underapperciated him. he just knew that now the son of one of the 2 most evil bastards in the galaxy is now in his custody. quite the undertaking, i'd say. and he obviously knew why he had to take him and didn't want him to have any contact whatsoever w/ obi-wan. yoda and obi-wan obviously planned on using luke later to defeat the empire, and i'm sure owen figured that was the case.

that makes sense, It would be hard for Owen to let Luke go. He also tried his best to keep him from joining the academy after all his friends have gone

Red Superfly
It's pretty obvious that Owen didn't like the fact Obi-Wan rode in, handed Beru a baby, then dissapeared.

The look on his face was like "Er...WTF, cheeky f*ckin Jedi.....grumble grumble"

Obi-Wan didn't have to put up with changing baby Luke's dirty nappies.

Naredhel
Sorry, I think that cyberkinetic maul story is complete BS. We saw him die!

Ominous
The book talks about how Yoda saw that they didnt evolve like the Sith did, over all those years the Sith powers Sidious had were nasty, and Yoda saw this as the Jedi and himself as being to closed minded, so for Luke to be trained later may not be that bad, he still dont like it but they need him. Sorry i switched subject here, I was about to type what i went back and saw a few other guys hit on the nose, but then started thinking about this, later

queeq
Originally posted by Red Superfly
It's pretty obvious that Owen didn't like the fact Obi-Wan rode in, handed Beru a baby, then dissapeared.

The look on his face was like "Er...WTF, cheeky f*ckin Jedi.....grumble grumble"

Obi-Wan didn't have to put up with changing baby Luke's dirty nappies.

Yup, OB1's the smarty.

Lazerlike42
I'd agree with that.... Beru seemed happy, but then again she's the woman in the marriage lol.... For all we know, Owen didn't want anything to do with it but she made him!

mandalorian_war
Im not exactly sure Beru hates Obi1. I think only Owen hates him because i think only Owen knows Anakins true fate.It is never really implied Beru hates him, i was under the impression that she thought Anakin died at darth vaders hands like luke was told maybe, she doesnt think its obi1s fault, and maybe, she thinks anakin and vader are differant.

Delta 62
Think about how much more powerful Luke would be had Obi raised and trained him. Luke would've had no problem defeating Vader and Sidious. But of course..Obi thought Luke needed a family so he wouldn't turn out like his father and whatnot..

In other news..Beru is pretty hot at the end. Nice smile.

Bubbapilot
At the end of ROTS most of the galaxy has begun to not trust the Jedi. Palpatine has made it seem that in the end, it was the Jedi who were the enemy. Owen doesn't approve of Anakin's involvement with the Clone Wars and probably holds Obi-Wan responsible for all that has happened to Anakin. While happy to be able to raise Luke, Obi-Wan dumped the child of an irresponsible Anakin on their doorstep. They don't want Luke to know Obi-Wan because they don't want him turning out like his father. Squash the force from him and he can't be a Jedi nor a Sith.

On another note (this one may be stupid), but was Anakin's mama also the mother of Owen?

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Bubbapilot
At the end of ROTS most of the galaxy has begun to not trust the Jedi. Palpatine has made it seem that in the end, it was the Jedi who were the enemy. Owen doesn't approve of Anakin's involvement with the Clone Wars and probably holds Obi-Wan responsible for all that has happened to Anakin. While happy to be able to raise Luke, Obi-Wan dumped the child of an irresponsible Anakin on their doorstep. They don't want Luke to know Obi-Wan because they don't want him turning out like his father. Squash the force from him and he can't be a Jedi nor a Sith.

On another note (this one may be stupid), but was Anakin's mama also the mother of Owen?

Shimi is not Owen's mother,
I have to agree with the most of what you said. I think they talk bad about Obi-wan cause they don't want Luke to get involved with him when he's too young. What are they going to say?? o hey luke this Jedi Obi-wan knew and trained your father, he lives over here go see him?

neo313
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I think it was fear that history would repeat itself. Listen to him say "that's what i'm afraid of" when Beru mentions anakin in ANH. Owen and Beru know the score and don't want another Darth Vader in the family.

exactly, this is why. they just want to live their simple lives as farmers, and now they have to worry about the force and the dark side, and their son becoming evil, and hiding from the empire.

it's a huge burden for them, and it actually costs them their lives. they don't hate obi-wan, but it's understandable that owen could show slight discontent towards him

WindDancer
I think Owen tried to enroll in the Jedi Academy and was rejected for being a simple farmer. That is why he disliked Obi and also the Jedi's. That's why he never encourage Luke to leave and always tried to keep him in the farm working on the droids....

....but seriously yerssot explained best. wink

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by neo313
exactly, this is why. they just want to live their simple lives as farmers, and now they have to worry about the force and the dark side, and their son becoming evil, and hiding from the empire.

it's a huge burden for them, and it actually costs them their lives. they don't hate obi-wan, but it's understandable that owen could show slight discontent towards him

The main purpose for Luke is because he was the only hope against the empire. Owen and Beru have to worry about the force. Unless, they dont care that the empire is in control. But Luke's hatred against the empire must have came from somewhere.

Darth Travizzle
They don't want Obi-Wan to train Luke in the force , because they know he will try to train him, and they might be afraid that Luke would turn evil like is father

Robin Darkside
If they knew Obiwan trained Anakin, then I guess they should worry about Luke turning to the darkside if Obiwan trained him. Although, I bet they would know that Luke would eventually follow the path of the force when he joins the academy. So, Owen and Beru are just slowing him down in the ways of the force.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.