Why did the republic fold so easily

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

supercybergeek
I mean these guys don't have a mind of their own, they clap after everything palps says without any evidence. Who are these sheep?

Robin Darkside
Did the senators really have any choice? a rebellion will eventually form

Fishy
Oh classical tail of Politics...

If you are almost killed everybody will love you and if you are almost killed by a Jedi almost everybody will agree with what you say combine that with a war and the fact that a lot of people in SW are idiots and you have your reasons

yerssot
it's nothing unrealistic or anything... it happened in the past, and it's happening right now too

Lord Tyrant
Power hungry maniacs, who want POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!!!!

POWJ
Um how did the republic fold so easy... lol its happeneing in America with Bush right now. Anyone with common sense can see the connection between Bush and Palpatine.

thejeditraitor
i think that's stretching it a bit.

Ushgarak
It seems that a good portion of the Republic doesn't fold, hence the Rebellion.

But what can they do? Palpatine controls all the armed forces and has the support of all the poltiical systems that hold the Galaxy together.

sumbum
Has Bush tried to kill his son too???? ninja

Fishy
When did Palpatine try to kill his son?

yerssot
Originally posted by sumbum
Has Bush tried to kill his son too???? ninja
do you see his son running around? wink

thejeditraitor
yeah the differences between bush and palps are many.

bush doesn't murder people like palps and isn't power hungry despite what you may think.

and tons of people in america and other places disagree with bush and that's fine. no one disagrees with palpatine. actually saddam hussein is mor like palps.

Robin Darkside
Please dont bring american politics into star wars

Fishy
Originally posted by thejeditraitor
yeah the differences between bush and palps are many.

bush doesn't murder people like palps and isn't power hungry despite what you may think.

and tons of people in america and other places disagree with bush and that's fine. no one disagrees with palpatine. actually saddam hussein is mor like palps.

What would you call the rebellion then stick out tongue

Robin Darkside
anti bush people I would say

POWJ
Bush is as power hungry as they get .. but continue to belive his lies like Anakin and you toshall be joining the darkside soon enough .. or suffer the fate of those that do.

Darth Macabre
Why does american Politics have to be brought into a star wars discussion? Bush has nothing to do with Palpatine. If people dont like Bush then dont complain about it, run for president and see if you could do any better.

Ushgarak
Keep all real-life politics out of this, thanks.

thejeditraitor
gimme a break.
hungry for what power?
the power to go home and get old after a new president comes in?
the president doesn't control america.

WindDancer
I swear some dumb people use Episode III as a reflection of our current political issues. My gosh just watch and enjoy the movie and leave the current politics outside the door. I'm sure they will be there waiting for you after the movie ends.

Robin Darkside
real life politics suck, Star Wars rules

thejeditraitor
sorry about that, but this started it up...

POWJ- "Um how did the republic fold so easy... lol its happeneing in America with Bush right now. Anyone with common sense can see the connection between Bush and Palpatine."

i usually don't reply to this kind of stuff but it pisses me off when people assume you have no common sense because you disagree with their opinion.

Darth Macabre
Yes, but placing real life politics in Star Wars just makes no sense. Theres no place for that kind of stuff here. Also just because people have different views doesnt make them stupid.

But on to the point of this thread- I think the republic folded not because of Palpatines propaganda, but due to it all ready collapsing. People saw what was happening around them, but they were to weak to deal with it themselves. So when someone came around that was willing to take up the "burden" they jumped on it like there was no tommarow.

MistaMandalore
Security over freedom..the people are tired of war...a war they probably view as instigated by the Jedi (Dooku being a former Jedi)..people start thinking, "Hey..what has democracy done for us, anyways? Let the greedy (Separatists) grow in power due to capitalistic ideals? Maybe the galaxy could use a change. Maybe Palpatine's empire will bring an end to war." Not to mention millions of identical soldiers willing to kill on command under Palpatine's control...that would make you clap too.

ShadowKing
Palpatine knows and understands how the Republic Senate works...like the U.N., it was started with good intentions...harmonious relations with diplomatic contact to forestall hostile agressions by any one party against another, and a united front against any outside force or internal threat. Like the U.N. (founded at the end of World War II), the intentions were good, but the initial members who founded it are long past and the current occupants do not truly understand the need for diplomatic solutions. The only thing that matters is what's in it for me (my nation). War is destabilizing and Palpatine, as the Supreme Chancellor was winning the war and had built up trust and feelings of good will. So if he says the Jedi are undermining his government, he will be believed. The few who questioned his motives (the members of the Imperial Senate that were formed by Padme and Bail Organa) worked behind the scenes. Unfortunately, this was cut from the movie.

green dude
My gosh this hillarious while i was scrolling down i was laughing my head off you Darth Macabre
(Why does american Politics have to be brought into a star wars discussion? Bush has nothing to do with Palpatine. If people dont like Bush then dont complain about it, run for president and see if you could do any better.) You know what i would run but my school grades suck and it would be borin it's kinda stupid how every country peoples have to fight over land and junk yeash were all human take a way are titles a citizen ship then what do you have a hole bunch of people with diffirent thoughts how many wars has been in real life it rediculus we all live on the same planet get along

but back to Why did the republic fold so easily because when you give one person to much power they can control everything that goes on so if you don't agree you get killed or something like that so yeah power leads to darkside in away :P

Selkie
How can you say Star Wars shouldn't`t be mixed with politics? I thought this film would be boring as we all knew what would happen, and then George Lucas surprises me with this real sophisticated comment on current international politics. Not giving him credit for that would be a grave insult. Even if you`re not used to reading symbols the "If you`re not with me" should give you a hint... Being a Bush-fan and a Star Wars fan at the same time will of course be a tough task after this, but I trust you people will let your intellect guide you, so you`ll end up with a better choice than poor Anakin.

It makes me realise why I love film so much each time I see a filmmaker tough enough to deal with real life issues. And eloquent enough to make it into art. If I were handing out Academy Awards George Lucas would get a whole bunch of them.

Grand Moff Gav
its not actually relavint to politics is it

neo313
well, Gl wrote this a loooong time ago, based on cesar, and napoleon, and hitler, and other histroical figures. its a recurring theme in history, someone brainwashing large groups of people and gaining total power. it's just coincidence that some people see parallels to george bush (and come on, even if you don't agree with them, the parallels are at least slightly there)

Selkie

neo313
Lucas- discussing the classic story of how a democracy becomes a dictatorship, how the people willingly give up basic freedoms for "safety", "security" and "peace"

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/16/cannes.starwars/

he has said this many times, the prequels were not written as movie scripts, but merely as backstories to episodes 4-6

I don't understand what you mean, saying that nobody would be interested in star wars if it didn't deal with real life events?

rubber dickie
the republic did not fold, it was transformed into an empire. nobody could've really done anything. the emperor would just kill off who didn't side with him.

koolruningz
The Republic trusts Palpatine, they have been giving him more and more power since he was elected. Plus he has gotten results, the clone wars are over and the droid army is defeated. As far as the Republic is concerned Palpatine can do no wrong, so when he comes before them scared and deformed and tells them the Jedi are responsible they believe him, why would he lie to them? Those that know better form the Rebellion and the rest is history.

bioptical
the republic fell as easily as it did because palpatine is good at what he does! i think there are four movies that demonstrate this very well, although i forget what they're called whistle

LousyBoy
Most of the people who doesnt like the comparisons between Star Wars and the real world, are the ones who are bringing it up and being offended by it. Basically, the only people who are whining about the comparisons are the Bush supporters cause they dont like how this movie is attacking their conscience. Even though this script was planned out way ahead of the Iraq war. Damn conservatives.

Daarrheel
I like what was said, shut-up about bush or run and do a better job! and for that fact if you think Sadam shouldnt have been taken down maybe you should have moved there and lived under his rule hehe. lol sorry

Yeah if the senate had spoken against Palp they would have been killed =/

Lazerlike42
Read this and you will need not argue about politics anymore lol (well maybe)

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by supercybergeek
I mean these guys don't have a mind of their own, they clap after everything palps says without any evidence. Who are these sheep?

By the time of rots it was pretty much broken already.

Grand Moff Gav
Originally posted by neo313
well, Gl wrote this a loooong time ago, based on cesar, and napoleon, and hitler, and other histroical figures. its a recurring theme in history, someone brainwashing large groups of people and gaining total power. it's just coincidence that some people see parallels to george bush (and come on, even if you don't agree with them, the parallels are at least slightly there)

bush cant take over-speration of powers you know-impeachment

((The_Anomaly))
I'm surprised to hear something from you like this Jedi. Everyone agrees that Saddam was not a good leader to say it mildly, however, that still does not give a country the right to launch an unprovoked attack on another country. I'm not American, but I was seriously disappointed with the American people when they reelected Bush to office. He should not be there.

And Americans wonder why most of the world hates them....look at the series of actions of States in the past few years, thats why.

Grand Moff Gav
the Scots dont hate americans (but we dont hate anyone)

Darth Macabre
Im American but i dont wonder why the rest of the world hates us. I know why.

Lazerlike42
The rest of the world hates America for the same reason I hate my friend who got a PSP which I can't afford, as well as the fact that the rest of the world is pluralist (as is much of America, especially the NE)and not correctly relativist.

Grand Moff Gav
i dont hate the US !!!!!!!

yerssot
talking politics always results into nasty convos

Grand Moff Gav
u should see the house of commons

supercybergeek
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I'm surprised to hear something from you like this Jedi. Everyone agrees that Saddam was not a good leader to say it mildly, however, that still does not give a country the right to launch an unprovoked attack on another country. I'm not American, but I was seriously disappointed with the American people when they reelected Bush to office. He should not be there.

And Americans wonder why most of the world hates them....look at the series of actions of States in the past few years, thats why.

Well if some middle east countries had a chance, they would invade the u.s to throw bush outta office too. And they won't cry when little kids get bombs dropped on them.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
u should see the house of commons

My fine and upstanding counterpart from the land of Scot speaks in truth and should rightly be commended for his efficacy in assertion.... SMACK!

lol

LousyBoy
OMG i cant get over the ridiculous fact that Daarheel is playing the "if you dont like it, you try running card." He's all talking about coming form humble beginnings, look at Bush. Father WAS the president and all the oil companys W presided over before entering office, he ran all those oil companys into the ground. And now hes the head of our country? No wonder theres so much turmoil. How can that be argued.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.