Accents in German version

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rogerroger
Can anyone explain to me, why the Neimodian guys (Trade Federation) are talking with a french accent and why General Grievous is talking with a russian accent in the German version of E3 ? Some kind of multicultural approach? What the f**k?

SixOfTwelve
Originally posted by rogerroger
Can anyone explain to me, why the Neimodian guys (Trade Federation) are talking with a french accent and why General Grievous is talking with a russian accent in the German version of E3 ? Some kind of multicultural approach? What the f**k?

Buggered if I know.

I'm so glad I saw the film in an English-speaking cinema... not that a Japanese accent for the Trade Federation is much better, mind you. But at least it makes some kind of weird sense, if you think of Japan as a trade nation that may sometimes be a threat to U.S. commerce.
But French? That dubbing decision has bugged me since 1999.
(Unless I'm mistaken, we never had that "alien race speaks local language with another language's accent" thing in the old trilogy, did we?)
As for Grievous, I couldn't quite place his accent in the English version. He did sound foreign, but to my ear it had elements of both southern and eastern European in it. Anyone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.