consistencey....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bar-en-Danwedh
here, i thought i'd make some changes to make the prequels match up a little more with the originals...

first one:
in ANH obiwan says to luke: "here, you father wanted you to have this when you were old enough but your uncle wouldn't allow it."
(obi wan also describes anikan as a "good friend" in that scene)

so here

http://img163.echo.cx/img163/5222/lightson.jpg

that makes things fit a little better...

smokin'

JKozzy
It would only be assumed that, as a fatherly figure, Anakin would've wanted that. Or, Obi-Wan could've told a little white lie. I see no continuality issue here.

Bar-en-Danwedh
I'v already had this argument....

i just put this up for a laugh...

but obiwan should have said 'your father would have wanted you to have this'

the other sugguest some sort of conversation was had about it.
(which we now know never happened)

obis a bit of a dirty liar...

Exar Fett
I don't see it as a consistency issue. Before Anakin became Darth Vader I think he would have wanted his son to have it. And they may have had a little 'falling out' (i guess you could call it that), but they were good friends. I mean, he fights Darth Vader at the end doesn't he? Not Anakin?

wuTa
Originally posted by Bar-en-Danwedh
I'v already had this argument....

i just put this up for a laugh...

but obiwan should have said 'your father would have wanted you to have this'

the other sugguest some sort of conversation was had about it.
(which we now know never happened)

obis a bit of a dirty liar...

not from his "point of view", and from my "point of view" i'm a genius

astrofan428
That wasnt a consistency error, that was a moment when he simply couldnt tell Luke the truth.

Bar-en-Danwedh
well, I admit it would have been counterproductive to say, "oh, by the way, after your dad slaughtered a bunch of children and choked your mother i chopped of his legs and stole his saber while he burned, I thought you might want it."

smile

Lord Yoda
Originally posted by astrofan428
That wasnt a consistency error, that was a moment when he simply couldnt tell Luke the truth.

i thought old ben was a lieing bastard cool

koolruningz
If Ben had told him the truth there is no way Luke would have gone with him to Alderan.

ragesRemorse
i think the biggest inconsistancy is Obiwan... "yoda was my teacher" that and the medicholorians

JediHDM
this is the biggest inconsistency people can find to argue about? a little white lie told to help Luke?

how about what Leia tells Luke in RotJ, or what Obi-Wan tells Luke for that matter, concerning their mother and who knew what and who was related to whom?

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by astrofan428

oh man I like your sig......................................kind of sadcry

Bar-en-Danwedh
or leia saying what she remembers about her mother in ROTJ, even though she dies giving birth to her...

hmmm...

ragesRemorse
hey man, maybe leia was using the force to manifest memories of her mother. yeah that sounds like star wars logic to me.

DeVi| D0do
This was mentioned in another thread:

There was a war going on. Anakin probably said to Obi Wan sometime "if I ever die in battle, give this to my son". Wait... no. Obi Wan never knew Anakin was the father... never mind.

So he told a white lie. Apparently everyone in the OT are chronic liars... so, no big deal. wink

Bar-en-Danwedh
and they forget meating eachother too wink

Jerico
Hell there's no reason not to believe that Obi and Ani had a conversation offscreen at least at one point, maybe he even told Padme who passed it on to Obi at some point

astrofan428
Originally posted by Lord Yoda
i thought old ben was a lieing bastard cool

Would you get off my back. mad

It was a lie, but it was needed. So I can still call him an old lying bastard. stick out tongue

Bar-en-Danwedh
obi found out that ani had kids on the way just before leaving to kill him.
padme left after he found out. obi snuck on board.

all that what was said on the subject between the three was what you saw onscreen...

watch it again...

there was no time for any such conversation...

DeVi| D0do
Indeed. Ben just told a lie. I dunno... maybe he was senile. It is what Anakin would have wanted.

But come on... it's much easier to just say "Your father wanted you to have this..." instead of "This was your fathers. After I cut his arm and legs off I took it. Here, take it."

astrofan428
"Your father's lightsaber, I stole it from him after chopping him to bits and leaving him to burn to death. He would have wanted you to have when you where old enough, but your uncle wouldnt allow it. He feared I would do to you what I did to your father."

Daarrheel
The lie was nessary guys. If Luke had known the truth right then he would not have understood and prolly wouldnt have got involved. remember Obi can see things befor they happen like always through the force and felt this was the best path at the time, and he was right heh.

ragesRemorse
I like how everyone tries so damn hard to turn the inconsistancies into explanations. Obiwan never lied to luke about his father wanting him to have the lightsaber. I am sure when georgy boy wrote that, that is exactly what he intended.

RC70
or leia saying what she remembers about her mother in ROTJ, even though she dies giving birth to her...

hmmm...

I thought about that, but wonder if she's referring to Padme or her adopted mother? Did Leia ever know that she was adopted?

morgan01
actually obi wan didn't lie about being trained by yoda, because thats how it starts at a youngling yoda is ur main teacher then eventually you become a padawan learner under a jedi. thats why qui gon says he would train anakin because yoda would have been the one to start his training, but because the council was against it they let obi train him instead.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by RC70
I thought about that, but wonder if she's referring to Padme or her adopted mother? Did Leia ever know that she was adopted?

This has been debated more than anything else on here other than Sidious/Yoda. I started off insisting that she was talking about Bail Organa's wife, but after much evidence and research, it's clear she is talking about Padme. Few will argue this now, especially since it is backed up by the official site (in the data bank entry under Leia Organa).

Some insist it is a plot hole and Lucas messed up, but many say it is not, and they're right! (lol) In ROTJ, Leia says she remembers only images and feelings about her mother, she never says memories. She never says she remembers going to the zoo with her mom or getting Burger King one day or anything. She is able to sense these images and feelings through the force, much the same way Luke senses images and feelings of his friends at city in the clouds when he is on Dagobah. Why Luke does not recall these things is uncertain, though there are some ideas, namely the fact that he was raised in a home which was very negative to the force, and in which the idea of Jedi and the force was not allowed. Leia was raised by Bail Organa, someone who held strong faith and belief in the Jedi, so Leia was probably more likely to be accepting of the force and open to it's influenece at young ages when her memories (of the images/feelings) were formed.

Bar-en-Danwedh
he could have said, "this was your fathers... you should have it."

there was no need to add shit to it...

he must have been really boared in that cave...

Originally posted by JediHDM
this is the biggest inconsistency people can find to argue about? a little white lie told to help Luke?

"general Kenobi, you fought for my father in Clone wars"
-'princess' leia

did he work directly for bail organna?

"I don't remember ever owning a droid"
-obi wan

uh... R4?

"I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since all before you were born" -obi wan

(and maybe just after)

"this place looks familiar"
-Luke on Dagobah

why would it?

"when i met your father he was already the best pilot in the galaxy, i was amazed at how well the force flowed through him" Obi wan

firstly he was good at pod racing... the SW equivelant of go cart racing.

and why was he suprised by how well the force flowed through him when qui gons blood sample test showed a massive amount of midchlorians in his system that dictacted he would be more poweful than yoda...

-------------

most of those are minor, but there are more...

way too much...

i like ROTS, but there was asome definate laziness in a trilogy that had 19years of preperation behind it...

DeVi| D0do
19 years of preparation... HA! Lucas was just making it up as he made the film... he didn't care if it made sense.

Echuu
he could have said, "this was your fathers... you should have it."

there was no need to add shit to it...

he must have been really boared in that cave...

"general Kenobi, you fought for my father in Clone wars"
-'princess' leia

did he work directly for bail organna?

"I don't remember ever owning a droid"
-obi wan

uh... R4?

"I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since all before you were born" -obi wan

(and maybe just after)

-Luke on Dagobah

why would it?

"when i met your father he was already the best pilot in the galaxy, i was amazed at how well the force flowed through him" Obi wan

firstly he was good at pod racing... the SW equivelant of go cart racing.

and why was he suprised by how well the force flowed through him when qui gons blood sample test showed a massive amount of midchlorians in his system that dictacted he would be more poweful than yoda...

-------------

most of those are minor, but there are more...

way too much...

i like ROTS, but there was asome definate laziness in a trilogy that had 19years of preperation behind it...

Eh I think your looking at some of these the wrong way....

It was General Kenobi you 'served' my father in the clone wars. This could have taken place in between episodes 2 and 3 for all we know.

Don't remember ever owning a droid.....the jedi arent supposed to have possessions; thats attachments; which is against the code- pretty much all they have are their clothes and lightsaber, R4 was obi wans aid in battle i dont think he owned him.

"I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since all before you were born" -obi wan "
this one doesnt have much weight seeing as luke was born at the end of the movie and theres the big time gap

-Luke on Dagobah

I think Luke was sensing Yoda with the force

Anakin was the only human able to podrace and eventually he blew up the droid control ship-- pretty darn good if ya ask me.

Bar-en-Danwedh
it was an accident...

he was ment to wait in the ship but accidentally set off the auto lauch sequence...

then he CRASHED into the droid controll ships hanger bay...

where for some stupid reason the main reactor was kept...

that is hardly befiting the title of best pilot in the galaxy...

especially compared to the fact that he was also shot out of orbit by han solo...

DeVi| D0do
Like I've been trying to say... Jedi seem to suffer from senility more extremely than most people. I mean, look at Yoda!

Cipher
It might have been interesting if Yoda HAD gone crazy waiting for Luke.........

Bar-en-Danwedh
"not if anything to say about it i have"

these are not the words of a man carrying a full bag of marbles...
i'll give you that!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.