How much would a lightsaber weigh?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bishop X
Well?

the_Undying
Probably about as much as the hilt itself. It couldn't weigh more than a couple of pounds or so. As the name suggests, we can assume that the blade itself is made entirely out of light, which weighs nothing. But, I'm not NEAR as much of a fanboy as the rest of these crazy mofos on here (love you guys! smile ) , so someone correct me if this sounds illogical or if you actually know the "Lucas-Approved" weight of a lightsaber.

Sesse
About as much as Maglite 5D?

Corranhorn
It's just the weight of the handle.The blade weighs nothing.

Jedi_KnightAlly
Eh, In one of the documentarys in the OT boxset, Mark hamill says George Lucas said they were about 5o-60 lbs. Like really heavy. Whether he changed his mind for the PT or not i dunno.

Human Vader
50 or 60 lbs is unreal, maybe they meant the carbonite poles they used to fight with, not an actual lightsabers in the SW universe. like what that one dude said, it cant be more than like 5 or 6 pounds

Jedi_KnightAlly
Well thats what George Lucas originally had in mind. And bear in mind, its star wars, its not real.

ninjaturtle
Actually it is 50 - 60lbs. I have the DVDs which have the documentaries on them, and Lucas says that they were originally meant to be heavy and not the easiest things to wield. You'll notice that, expecially in A New Hope, most of the time the lightsabers are held with two hands because of how heavy theyre meant to be.

the_Undying
But 50-60 lbs? Good LORD!
In Ep III, a stormtrooper was able to one-handed toss Obi-Wan his lightsaber after it fell to the ground. Yeah, it's star wars. Yeah, it's not real. But it's based in a real enough world. If a normal (enough) person can simply toss one around, either he's the governator, or eats his Wheaties.... for every meal.... and takes steroids.....

Darth Macabre
That cant be for real. I mean think about it Darth Maul would be flinging around 120-130 pounds. And for what he was doing with it, it seems impossible. But the force is a strong thing soo i guess its likely true.

xxxpoppunker182
they're holding the lightsaber with two hands in the OT movies cause of how powerful they are like the sword part. but lightsabers way like 5-6 pounds in the SW universe because they're supposed to be elegant.

Corranhorn
Yea. the documentaries say george told the actors to imagine the handles were 50-60lbs so that they always kept to hands on the handle because of the power created when they hit together. As luke progressed and became more proficient he was able to take one hand off. The actual handle wouldn't weigh that much and the blade weighs absolutley nothing.

ninjaturtle
Originally posted by Corranhorn
Yea. the documentaries say george told the actors to imagine the handles were 50-60lbs so that they always kept to hands on the handle because of the power created when they hit together. As luke progressed and became more proficient he was able to take one hand off. The actual handle wouldn't weigh that much and the blade weighs absolutley nothing.

Ah yeah thats right. I dont know, I always imagined that the blade would have some sort of weight. I suppose thats because it would seem like it when you were fighting with it, especially when the sabres hit one another.

madveda
Despite the fact that this has been dead for a number of years im still going to leave a reply. The lightsaber is actually meant to be incredibly heavy however through the use of the force a Jedi is able to wield it with dexterity. This is the reason that Jedi are essentially the only ones who use them because they are the only ones who really can. The hilt weighs no more than a few pounds but when activated the plasma coming from the hilt generates an intense "gyroscopic force" that gives the overall saber an incredible amount of weight.

Lord Lucien
Thank God for Wookieepedia, eh?

NTJack0
Really now?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.