"The Honeymooners" & Other "Whitespoitation"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
Has anyone else noticed the silly "urbanization" of Hollywood as of late, when it comes to supposedly "new" movies, some of which we never cared for to begin with?

Case(s) in point;

"Johnson Family Vacation" - Pretty much a "black" version of "National Lampoon's Family Vacation".

"Breakin' All the Rules" - "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days", anyone?

"Soul Plane" - While full of self parody, another urbanization, this time of "Airplane!"

"Humbuggin'" - Yep, "urbanized" version of "Scrooged".

"Love Don't Cost a Thing" - Hmm, "Can't Buy Me Love"?

"Like Mike" - More like "Rookie of the Year"

"My Baby's Daddy" - 2003 version of "Three Men and a Baby"

Are movie goers these days just too dumb to recognize what some would view as a "politically correct" version of "whitesploitation"?

While it's not really offensive, it sure is interesting.

Myth
I've noticed that too. Some of them are very obvious.

WindDancer
Could you elaborate more on this topic? I know you have a view to express, but is not quite clear (to me) what you are saying. I understand "black explotation films" but "Whitesplotation"? Are you saying Hollywood is turning the tables on cult classics?

confused

Linkalicious
Who doesn't notice stuff like this?

I just wanna state that Cedric the Entertainer has nothing on Chevy Chase.

botankus
I will edit the post I just typed....ok, now that I'm done with that, where was I? How 'bout I take this route....further proof of lack of creativity, thought, and just pure RISK on the part of Hollywood still reeling (integrity-wise) from the after-effects of the writer's strike.

They have found a gimmick that has worked $$$-wise and will run it over and over again into the ground.

Cinemaddiction
It's just a different form of exploitation, where African Americans are rehashing some of the classic, and primarily white, romantic comedies. We seem to be pretty well known for those.

roundisfunny
Better get used to it. Here are a few more examples:

Dr. Doolittle (1967)--Rex Harrison
Dr. Doolittle (1998)--Eddie Murphy

The Nutty Professor (1963)--Jerry Lewis
The Nutty Professor (1996)--Eddie Murphy

The Honeymooners (1955-56)--Jackie Gleason
The Honeymooners (2004)--Cedric the Entertainer

Back to School (1986)--Rodney Dangerfield
Back to School (2006)--Cedric the Entertainer

Cinemaddiction
It's not even so much the direct remakes, but the really subtle rehashes that nobody would even recognize unless someone pointed it out.

It may be that nobody cares, lol. I just have a knack for seeing thigns differently.

BTW, I don't think Cedric the Entertainer is at all funny.

Myth
Cedric can be funny but he's not movie worthy. And I know what you mean. Remakes of Dr. Doolittle and things like that are at least acknowledging that they are remakes. Johnson's Family Vacation is almost trying to sneak in there without giving National Lampoons credit.

botankus
Why are they doing that with Back to School?? That's going to be a joke IMO (and I actually like Back to School).

roundisfunny
Here's another one, this time with a TV series:

"Kojak" (1973-1978)--Telly Savalas
"Kojak" (2005)--Ving Rhames

lil bitchiness
See I think this whole 'Mean Girls' movie was a rip off of ''Heathers'' - a rather bad one for that matter.

Whoever saw Heathers can clearly mark out such similarities, and because I hated Mean Girls.

The 'Mean Girls' for one doesnt have those cool lines like ''Fcuk me gently with a chainsaw'' Heathers does.

New material!!!

Cinemaddiction
Anyone seen the atrocious trailer for ""Guess Who?" with Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher?

Yep, an "updated" version of Sidney Poitier's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". Sickening.

roundisfunny
"White Chicks" has been done so many times, it's not funny. The gender and/or race crossover gag is in:

Gender disguises:

"Nuns on the Run"
"The Associate" (both)
"Some Like it Hot"
"Bosom Buddies" (TV)
"Big Momma's House"
"Mrs. Doubtfire"
"Victor/Victoria"
"Just one of the Guys"
et al.

Race "disguises":

"True Identity"
"Soul Man"
"The Associate" (see above; Whoopi Goldberg as a White male)

spamandreeses
to be totally honest nearly every film is a parody of another film in someway nowadays that i don't really care. i don't really get the point this topic is making. are people saying black people shouldn't remake 'white' classics... call me thick but i am a bit confused

NiceGuynj
Cinemaddiction your on to something.

I"m Puerto Rican and have the answer after watching the movie Bamboolzed.(And I hate Spike lee's movies)But it made a good point about minorites in movies.

We love to exploit ourselves for any movie.First What are the top Asian actor and actress.(Beep).The answer is Jackie Chan And Lucy Liu both action martial stars period.I even heard there making a remake of BAck to school with yes you said it Cedric the entertanier.Yes I do admit those movies are weirdly to the same to older movies.But as a Puerto Rican I don't mind watching a all white movie and complain about there no Puerto Ricans in it,who the hell cares I say.Yes these movies might be white movies turning black but hey I rather watch the originals.

Cinemaddiction
"The Honeymooners" (2005)

Alls I can say is..what the ****. How about we make an all white version of "The Jeffersons". There would literally be ****ing riots. Gotta love double standards.

Only in America, only in America... roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
haha!

I saw the poster of this and said the exact same thing you did (how about a Jeffersons film with an all white cast).

I think it's really dumb. But oh well.

wuTa
yea, i love to play devil's advocate but in this situation i can;t...i have no logic to play behind and all i would do is make myself look like a deusch because you are both right

Ken Kenobi
I refuse to spend my hard earned cash to see this movie.

Ou Be Low hoo
Eh...I think a certain level of 'double-standards' are allowed considering the fact that your ancestors weren't kidnapped from their native country, taken thousands of miles away and then enslaved, thus beginning a reign of discrimination against non-caucasians that is still prevalent today!

Cinemaddiction
That level was breeched years ago, though. For a society that wants equality, they must be incredibly naive to not see their self imposed segregation. That's for a whole different forum altogether.

I don't understand. Movies about barbershops, cookouts? Is African American cinema happy with hand me down roles, when they aren't busy exploitating their own culture, who in all honesty, don't make up even 25% of the movie going public? Do they feel as if they're "entitled" to remake these films and television shows?

It's just really naive, and insulting to people who know movies, because the similarities (see, direct ripoffs) are so blatantly obvious.

By all means, do an all black "Honeymooners". The plot is about two black men scheming people out of money. Hurray for Black Hollywood and their proud ways of representing their culture in cinema.

BackFire
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
That level was breeched years ago, though. For a society that wants equality, they must be incredibly naive to not see their self imposed segregation. That's for a whole different forum altogether.

I don't understand. Movies about barbershops, cookouts? Is African American cinema happy with hand me down roles, when they aren't busy exploitating their own culture, who in all honesty, don't make up even 25% of the movie going public? Do they feel as if they're "entitled" to remake these films and television shows?

It's just really naive, and insulting to people who know movies, because the similarities (see, direct ripoffs) are so blatantly obvious.

By all means, do an all black "Honeymooners". The plot is about two black men scheming people out of money. Hurray for Black Hollywood and their proud ways of representing their culture in cinema.

Poetry, true poetry, couldn't have said it better myself.

Seriously, imagine the pitch to the studio for the new Honeymooners film.

"Okay, it's a movie of the famous show...but with one twist....the whole cast is black!"

"Well Jammal, that's just plain genius!"

What a crock.

botankus
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
Eh...I think a certain level of 'double-standards' are allowed considering the fact that your ancestors weren't kidnapped from their native country.................

Eh, using this as a basis of theory for what Cory is trying to say...

You're kidding, right?

You know what? I think here at work I'm going to find something about myself that someone who was related to some other person indirectly offended someone who was related to me at some point in their life. Then any time they get in my way, BOOM! I've got ammo to unload to get my way!

botankus
Coming in 2007:

Lassie, featuring a Labrador Retriever playing the title role.

Fire
Has anyone else noticed the silly "urbanization" of Hollywood as of late, when it comes to supposedly "new" movies, some of which we never cared for to begin with?

Case(s) in point;

"Johnson Family Vacation" - Pretty much a "black" version of "National Lampoon's Family Vacation".

"Breakin' All the Rules" - "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days", anyone?

"Soul Plane" - While full of self parody, another urbanization, this time of "Airplane!"

"Humbuggin'" - Yep, "urbanized" version of "Scrooged".

"Love Don't Cost a Thing" - Hmm, "Can't Buy Me Love"?

"Like Mike" - More like "Rookie of the Year"

"My Baby's Daddy" - 2003 version of "Three Men and a Baby"

Are movie goers these days just too dumb to recognize what some would view as a "politically correct" version of "whitesploitation"?

While it's not really offensive, it sure is interesting.

you even dare to say some????

PS: added the tags myself to make it clearer

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by botankus
Coming in 2007:

Lassie, featuring a Labrador Retriever playing the title role.

Now, would that be a Black Lab? confused

Originally posted by Fire
you even dare to say some????

PS: added the tags myself to make it clearer

I'm sure some people found atleast one of those mildly entertaining. Not that there's any accounting for taste, but still.

botankus
Now, would that be a Black Lab? confused

Tisk, tisk, tisk....now what would be the point of the post if it weren't?

Primitive Screwhead
I'm more upset at the lack of originality in Hollywood on the whole, not just in terms of these urban updates (though your point is well taken, C). The whole Longest Yard remake should never have been done, and I stand even more firmly by it after mustering the effort to go watch it this weekend.

But in terms of "whitesploitation", I can only wonder (or rather, fear) when movies like Psycho and the Graduate get their shot at remakes. Sigh.

botankus
Originally posted by Primitive Screwhead
I'm more upset at the lack of originality in Hollywood on the whole, not just in terms of these urban updates (though your point is well taken, C).

They're still recovering from the Writer's Strike that ended last year.

Cinemaddiction
But in terms of "whitesploitation", I can only wonder (or rather, fear) when movies like Psycho and the Graduate get their shot at remakes. Sigh.

I'm with you on remakes, Hollywood on the whole sucks.

I forgot to mention this before, but some of these African American recast films are even MORE pointless, because of the social implications behind them.

i.e. "Guess Who?" In 1967, when "GWCTD" was released, inter-racial relationships were still incredibly touchy. There was a lot to be learned from that move, and it was. 2005, "Guess Who" comes along and pointless stirs the pot. Apparently, some black people still have a problem with inter-racial relationships, otherwise the movie wouldn't have been made. And no, it doesn't matter if everything's cool in the end, it's the fact the movie was made. There are PLENTY of race relations movies with better overall messages (Hairspray, anyone?) that could have been revisited, but was NOW really the time to bring up segregation in relationships, while the nation is at war, and we're trying to bring one another closer?

It was a stupid, stupid move, and the feedback on the IMDB.com boards totally support it.

I can't WAIT for the Jews to finally say enoughs enough, and let African Americans know how THEY feel by remaking one of THEIR movies, depicting how bad THEY had it as well. That's what I admire about the Jews. Not only were they forced into immigration, made slaves, and socially shit upon, they had to deal with this little episode of persecution called THE ****ING HOLOCAUST. Do you see them complaining, feeling as if something is owed to them? No.

They moved on, and so should everyone else. It's 2005. The days of double standards are over, and so should be the days of abusing social appeasements, especially in entertainment.

WindDancer
Okay, let's return to the honeymooners for a moment here. First of all who cares if characters are now african americans? Second, how many of you (and I do mean all of you) remenbers watching the honeymooners on tv way back in the 50's? No one? I knew it! So what's the big deal! People have forgotten who the honeymooners were. Is not like we're talking about I Love Lucy or the Andy Griffith Show. Those shows were notorious and most watch on tv even today. The Honeymooners weren't! We only know of them or heard of them thanks to Nick at Night. Even that has faded into history.

I personally don't care for the original nor for this movie. But to overhype this movie with racial differences is utterly lame and stupid, and childish. Don't like what they've done to the honeymooners. How cares? Don't go see the film. Go watch something else. Or go rent/buy/download the original Honeymooners tv show at Grandpa's DVD Memories.

botankus
Originally posted by WindDancer
Don't like what they've done to the honeymooners. How cares? Don't go see the film. Go watch something else.

This is going to sound kind of selfish, but in terms of seeing something else, now you're stuck with one less viable option at your local theater.

Cinemaddiction
In all honesty, I don't care so much about the cast being African American. I care about the level of disrespect shown by "Black Hollywood" towards the origins. That's all. Maybe someday they'll learn that "their versions" of these films don't do well, and they'll give it up, let go of their backfiring, ironic attempts of equality in cinema, and do something a little more original.

Like I said, it's a double standard tailor made for African Americans. One which will keep getting abused, and one day, when YOUR favorite movie or television show gets blackfaced, I'll be there to say I told you so.

Excuse the **** out of me for being a purist.

Swanky-Tuna
The whole Longest Yard remake should never have been done, and I stand even more firmly by it after mustering the effort to go watch it this weekend.
Does Bob Sapp act as bad as he fights? I imagine it took years to make 'cause Bob Sapp only has like a minute and a half of energy on his batteries.

Primitive Screwhead
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Does Bob Sapp act as bad as he fights? I imagine it took years to make 'cause Bob Sapp only has like a minute and a half of energy on his batteries.

As bad, if not worse. His acting credentials also include the less-than-stellar (read: god-awful) Elektra. Coincidence? We think not.

Ou Be Low hoo
This thread is beyond the point of being ridiculous and is marching quite ominously to an Aryan beat. 'Black Hollywood'!?!?!?!?! Hello, Caveman...How many times do you see a black couple in a main-stream Hollywood movie? The answer is hardly ever as most black leads are paired with a Hispanic actress. As for 'black' movies being derivative...ALL OF HOLLYWOOD IS! Every month includes a new batch of re-makes, re-imaginings, etc.

It seems the cinema going public is not quite ready for a truly racially mixed movie so Hollywood has to segregate the movies into 'black' ones and 'white' ones...Oh dear.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Ou Be Low hoo
This thread is beyond the point of being ridiculous and is marching quite ominously to an Aryan beat. 'Black Hollywood'!?!?!?!?! Hello, Caveman...How many times do you see a black couple in a main-stream Hollywood movie? The answer is hardly ever as most black leads are paired with a Hispanic actress. As for 'black' movies being derivative...ALL OF HOLLYWOOD IS! Every month includes a new batch of re-makes, re-imaginings, etc.

It seems the cinema going public is not quite ready for a truly racially mixed movie so Hollywood has to segregate the movies into 'black' ones and 'white' ones...Oh dear.

Firstly, that label, that's a product of their ingenuity and self segregation, not the mainstreams. Like they want their own cinematic counter culture. Don't shoot the messenger. Mainstream Hollywood isn't the one saying, "Hey, black folks! How bout you all make self parodying films about your culture that totally seperate yourselves and the rest of the movie going public?"

In my mind, the line between being derivitative and straight up "blackfacing" a movie that starred a white cast, for the sake of entertainment, is very, very thick. It's been more frequent that African American's have been hijacking popular films, and making them their own with no remorse. It's just ignorant, that's all. I know I cann't stop it, that's why I don't care. I DO care more about the respect that goes with it, when it's actually recognized.

I'd like to think that I'm just saying the facts, here. Of course, I'm probably totally out of line saying Blacks are the ones doing the self segregating, what with BET, Black Enterprise magazine, FUBU, Jet, the NAACP, and The United Negro College Fund, and the all black, no exceptions, Morehouse College, which are all prime examples of this harmonious racial equality we're all benefitting from.

happy

Ou Be Low hoo
I'd like to think that I'm just saying the facts, here. Of course, I'm probably totally out of line saying Blacks are the ones doing the self segregating, what with BET, Black Enterprise magazine, FUBU, Jet, the NAACP, and The United Negro College Fund, and the all black, no exceptions, Morehouse College, which are all prime examples of this harmonious racial equality we're all benefitting from.

Yeah, you could probably add...Ooo...I don't know...The presidency of the United States, the head of the World Bank, the Federal Reserve Board, Academy nominated directors and the majority of multi-national companies to that list too. Wait a second...

Cinemaddiction
President? The fact that the only two African Americans to have ever ran for President had incredibly obvious personal agendas and sordid pasts tied directly to race relations would make anyone uneasy, personal qualifications aside. The race is open to anyone who can raise the money to campaign, has the gift of gab, and is even MODERATELY qualified, looking at who we're led by now.

But, there's no comparing African American's qualifications in politics to that in entertainment. We can talk directors. Is it any wonder why the most popular black directors, John Singleton and Spike Lee have relegated THEMSELVES to urban cinema?! The Academy isn't going to throw them a bone for being racially partial all their lives, or for "Excellence in Urban Vernacular". If there were a black director making movies that were noteworthy, I'm sure he'd get noticed by someone at some point in time. Both the aforementioned did, maybe not their movies so much, it's still press, not just that of critical acclaim, and IMO, for good reason.

Nobody's oppressing African Americans in mainstream Hollywood other than themselves. There are plenty of black actors that have made it big, because they can act obviously, and didn't pidgeonhole themselves in urban comedies.

Yes, Hollywood's in a slump. Yes, there's a lot of unoriginality, but the fact of the matter is that the racial flip-flopping and segregating seems to be as predominate as the remakes everyone's moaning about. The remakes have an excuse, we're lazy.

What's the "Black Hollywood" excuse?

botankus
The emergence of urban filmmakers such as the Hughes Brothers and Spike Lee occurred in the early '90's. As you may recall, there was a growing frustration with black stereotyping in the late '80's. We saw that in the media and the people. Also there was a very good movie called Hollywood Shuffle which focused on that. The song, "Burn, Hollywood, Burn" by Public Enemy re-enforced that belief. So black filmmaking has come a long way, relatively speaking, but it's sad that, like Cory mentioned, it's become quite stagnant as of late.

JamalMagloire
I loved the original Honeymooners and I am going to go see this just to be able to compare and see the changes made. It looks like it should be able to provide some good laughs. Seems like there are so many serious movies out this summer - I'm looking forward to a comedy.

Holcomb
I watched some clips on another site the other day, this looks funny.

Andrew McLeod
I'm in complete agreeance with Cinemaddiction and I've always thought about it this way.

What bothers me the most though is the fact that people assume your racist if you say stuff like this. Someone made a comment that about this being Aryan but that's stupid. Also, you can't keep using the oppression issue as a defence for everything. Hell, I never use it and my people are still being oppressed today. Like people said...move on.

Primitive Screwhead
Originally posted by Andrew McLeod
I'm in complete agreeance with Cinemaddiction and I've always thought about it this way.

What bothers me the most though is the fact that people assume your racist if you say stuff like this. Someone made a comment that about this being Aryan but that's stupid. Also, you can't keep using the oppression issue as a defence for everything. Hell, I never use it and my people are still being oppressed today. Like people said...move on.

clap

Stokely
classic, and primarily white, romantic comedies. We seem to be pretty well known for those.

sick

Most movies have already done before anyway.

JamalMagloire
Anyone going to see it this weekend?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.