Sound Designer Ben Burtt Leaves Lucasfilm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MoviesFan
Here

http://theindyexperience.com/tie_lite/may_2005.shtml#0000610

Mist
he'll come crawling back for the tv seriesstick out tongue

MoviesFan
He should have left before AOTC and ROTS, he did some bad editing

Mist
rots has some good sounds....like in the space battle.......

LandoSpeeder2
Ben Burtt did an awesome job on all the films I thought. besides, he's not just a sound editor, he's a film editor as well.

jabbar
was this the guy responsible for those horrible screen wipes (cf. screen wipe after vader says "noooooo!"wink ??? Is he more than a sound editor?

If that is the case, good riddance!

Mist
the worst one was the checkerboard wipe......someone had a bit too much fun with that one....

some movie i saw not long ago...cant remember..but anyway, the only screenwipe they used was the cirlce one...god...2hrs of just cirlce screenwiping.....*shudders*

MoviesFan
Thats what I want to know aswell

cal31
Why were they horrible screen wipes? They were used in every other Star Wars movie, so what are you complaining about? You guys have no respect or thanks for anybody. You do realize he is the same guy who created the infamous sounds of the lightsabers and Darth Vader's breathing.

MoviesFan
Some things he is AMAZING at like sound he just isnt good at editing films.

He edited the Dooku duels and the Ani vs Obi duel, and was poorly edited

cal31
Originally posted by MoviesFan

He edited the Dooku duels and the Ani vs Obi duel, and was poorly edited George Lucas had a big say in the editing process as well though, so it wasn't just him. I remember hearing Lucas saying that they edited the Dooku fight to save stuff for EP III.

Mist
the OT screenwipes were good. tpm was alright...rots....baaaad....not all of them were...but some were just baaad......seriously, i could do better...

MoviesFan
Even if your right cal31, that makes NO sense.

They didnt leave anything for Dooku. They mostly just killed him of

tpaquin
His sound library is pretty all-encompassing. he's kinda expendable in teh department where he was actually GOOD...

cal31
Originally posted by Mist
the OT screenwipes were good. tpm was alright...rots....baaaad....not all of them were...but some were just baaad......seriously, i could do better... But all of the screen wipes in ROTS were in every other Star Wars movie. The checkerboard one is in ANH or ESB can't remember which one.

cal31

They didnt leave anything for Dooku. They mostly just killed him of Yeah, they screwed his character over, just like in ROTK, too bad for Lee, but that doesn't mean that it was all Burtt.

neo313

They didnt leave anything for Dooku. They mostly just killed him of

No, it's true, the hangar duel in AotC was cut substantially, and GL said the reason was there is a ton of saber fighting in RotS and he wanted to save some tricks or somthing, not let it get stale...

which is completely RETARDED imo, bc the RotS duels also lost tons of footage. The hangar duel in AotC really, really sucks, it could've been soooo much better. Especially since theres no dual saber wielding in rots (I don't count grievous stick out tongue )

MoviesFan
Yeah, thats very stupid by GL.

Saving it?

Bahh

cal31
Yeah, I have no complaints about the editing except for the duels. Duels should be left intact since they are better when seen completely. I just don't know why they cut out stuff from the Ani vs Obi fight or the Dooku fight in ROTS when it isn't like more fighting would be bad, and it wouldn't take a great deal of time.

neo313
I was expecting the dooku duel in RotS to be at least a few mins long...

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by cal31
But all of the screen wipes in ROTS were in every other Star Wars movie. The checkerboard one is in ANH or ESB can't remember which one.

No they aren't. The checkerboard and vertical blind wipes were not in any other star wars film. I'm sure of it. They were absolutely horrible. Ben Burtt is s good sound designer... but a horrible editor. Good riddance.

HateWork
yea i was really letdown by the dooku duel in ROTS. i thought it was going to last for like 5 minutes, or that at least obi-wan would last longer than 20 seconds. it would have played out better if it went longer and anakin couldn't beat dooku without tapping into the darkside. its kind of hinted at, but it goes from an even duel to anakin in charge a few seconds later and then its over.

tlbauerle
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
No they aren't. The checkerboard and vertical blind wipes were not in any other star wars film. I'm sure of it. They were absolutely horrible. Ben Burtt is s good sound designer... but a horrible editor. Good riddance.

ANH has some funky wipes in it...trying to remember...but maybe I need to go back and look again.

Burtt is a sound God, but the editing in the PT was to tight...I kept struggling for air and breathing room. Don't even let me start on the butchered scores and tracked music.

I think Pixar is more his thing.

However, maybe its time for some of these guys to step down...they aren't revolutionary anymore.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.