Younglings, padawans, masters .... confusion...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dgeniu
So, what is the difference between a youngling and a padawan? Aren`t they both Jedi apprentices? Or is it that a padawan has a master and a youngling does not?

Help.... confused

Mist
using books as reference coz its the only material.....once you turn like 13 or whatever, if you dont get a master, your out. your a youngling until you get a master, then your a padawan. then your a knight after you finish the jedi trials.

dgeniu
Oh, that`s cool. Thanx!

Mist
but like i said...from only the books....im going by the early obi wan days....jedi apprentice and all that...so its not official or anything, but itll be the only thing you could get on this topic.

dgeniu
Well, it makes sense. This way I understad why Yoda is in charge of the younglings, instead of each having a Jedi looking after them. I wonder if having tought a padawan is one of the things requiered for a Jedi to become a Master...

mossman
Yoda trains the younglings until the age of approximately 10-12.
Younglings are basically children selected by the Jedi for their Force potential.
After that, a Youngling is ready for Padawanship and is assigned to specific Jedi Knight/Master.

Once a Padawan passes their personal "Jedi trials", they recieve the rank of Jedi Knight and are able to take on a Padawan of their own, should they choose to.

It is understood that once a Knight has sucessfully guided a Padawan through the "trials", he himself is granted the rank of Master.
ROTS seems to conflict with this established structure a little, though, by implying that the Jedi Council simply chooses who is worthy of the rank of Master.

Only a Master can sit on the Jedi Council.
TPM era EU explained that Ki-Adi-Mundi was not a Master.
Needless to say, the EU was completely wrong...
Anakin is the first non-Master to take a seat with with the Council.

Fishy
People who finished training a Padawan are masters... But there is a difference between being a Master and being on the council

mossman
Originally posted by Fishy
People who finished training a Padawan are masters... But there is a difference between being a Master and being on the council

Absolutely.
I was just pointing out that Anakin did not think it was unreasonable that he be made a Master simply because he was now Palpatine's reprasentative on the Jedi Council - completely bypassing what we presume to be the established process.
The Council could quite easily have turned round and said "Not until you have trained a Padawan yourself - them's the rules." but they did not.
It kind of suggests that they may have been able to make Ani a Master if they really thought he was ready.
Perhaps not.

DenKi
Episode 3......

Youngling,

"Master Skywalker, What are we gonig to do."

mossman
Originally posted by DenKi
Episode 3......

Youngling,

"Master Skywalker, What are we gonig to do."

Master is a term of address to any senior Jedi, or from a non-Jedi to a Jedi etc.
It is not the same as being a Jedi Master...

Texansfan05
Originally posted by mossman
Master is a term of address to any senior Jedi, or from a non-Jedi to a Jedi etc.
It is not the same as being a Jedi Master...

That's correct because in AOTC in the scene with the younglings the kids said hello Master Obi-Wan. But Obi-Wan at the time was a Jedi Knight like Anakin was in ROTS.

darth_haku
halloza mist I know your a BEEP but you are right!!!!

devil ninja alien evil face

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.