Obiwan Kenobi Used Anger

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kenobi2004
Hello there....no one discussed this before but i'm doing that now.during the fight between Obiwan And GG,after GG lost his two hand and had only lightsaber to use...when lightsabers crossed together with obiwan we can see the face of obiwan showing anger...Obiwab was pressing his teeth so strong and using anger trying to defeat GG.I thought jedi are not allowed to be angry in a fight.and when anakin fought Dooku he was more calmn than obiwan....why fo you think did obiwan use this face when fighting GG??????????????????

Lazerlike42
I don't know if it's anger; a weightlifter would have the same face without being angry.

PVS
just a translation.

ever grit your teeth when lifting or moving a very heavy object?
i do.

kenobi2004
No guys his eyes show his use of anger....is it allowed that the jedi use dark power if they are sure that they could come back to the light whenever they want...like mace windu did when using vapaad.he control it because if he don't then fall to the dark side he will....are they allowed?

PVS
EU has no place here

kenobi2004
PVS take this from me......SHUT UP.this is no EU ok?.and if you think this is EU then i guess you should just go and say that to all the threads that have beeen made lately.....they are no relation to ROTS.but my topic is related alot....so keep off the topic...your reply won't make a difference i guess...since you can't diverse between EU and Rots.

DenKi
he wasnt angry hes what Lazerlike42 said...

MistaMandalore
Yeah...like everyone else said..he was just using alot of effort in my opinion..unless he yells out "I am so ANGRY AHHH!!!" Then we really can't tell what he is feeling.

ctsketch
my eyes and teeth look the same when I am bench pressing or doing partial arts...its not anger its focus and strain

astrofan428
The only times Kenobi gave in to anger was during the Maul fight and possibly while floating down the lava river.

palpy_666
I have noticed one thing throughout SW... the only way to conquer a Sith Lord is to use anger (or passion). Observe Kenobi in Episode I defeat Darth Maul. Right after Maul killerd Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan yelled, "NO!". After the shields let up, Obi-Wan ran out with his saber in such a fury of passionate fighting, Qui-Gon's death as his fuel for strength.

Watch Anakin in Episode III let loose on Dooku (which he does right after kicking him over the railing).

And finally, see Luke in VI become passionate about protecting Leia from Vader.. Luke becomes very aggressive against Vader and defeats him in a lightsaber match.

Now think back to every other lightsaber duel between a Jedi and a Sith... if the Jedi does not become quickly enraged or passionate during their fight, the Jedi either looses or the match is a draw.

Just my thoughts.

Blu93GT
Yoda and Mace Windu also have close-up shots during their fights with D. Sidious, showing a similar look... is it anger? fierce determination?

My *guess* is that Jedis have emotions just like everyone else, and it's just naturally going to come out during a very difficult fight. The Sith USE the anger, or hate, to access the power of the dark side (the "lightning" of D. Sidious seems to be pure hate, IMO), but the Jedi don't use it that way. When Yoda uses the force to stop heavy things from falling, he doesn't have an angry or hateful look. The Jedi might get a boost in *physical* strength, like anyone else would, but they don't use it to access the power of the force, and they try to let the anger pass and get back to being calm and focused. they're not PERFECT, but they try very hard to not give in to "dark" feelings.

...that's just my take on it.

against D. Maul, Obi-Wan's anger put him down a hole with no weapon! he was only victorious after he regained control.

astrofan428
Originally posted by palpy_666
I have noticed one thing throughout SW... the only way to conquer a Sith Lord is to use anger (or passion). Observe Kenobi in Episode I defeat Darth Maul. Right after Maul killerd Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan yelled, "NO!". After the shields let up, Obi-Wan ran out with his saber in such a fury of passionate fighting, Qui-Gon's death as his fuel for strength.

Watch Anakin in Episode III let loose on Dooku (which he does right after kicking him over the railing).

And finally, see Luke in VI become passionate about protecting Leia from Vader.. Luke becomes very aggressive against Vader and defeats him in a lightsaber match.

Now think back to every other lightsaber duel between a Jedi and a Sith... if the Jedi does not become quickly enraged or passionate during their fight, the Jedi either looses or the match is a draw.

Just my thoughts.

Nice.

Maybe sith lords just dont expect it. eek! Am I the only one who thought Kenobi used anger in the end of THE DUEL? It is almost like after the final move he realises "oh shit".

Blu93GT
going back to the original topic, Obi v. GG...

when Obi was ANGRY, Grevious almost escaped again. Obi didn't *defeat* him until GG got angry, and Obi got his coolness back.

Lord Yoda
Originally posted by astrofan428
The only times Kenobi gave in to anger was during the Maul fight and possibly while floating down the lava river.

thats what i was going to say sad

palpy_666
Originally posted by Blu93GT

when Obi was ANGRY, Grevious almost escaped again. Obi didn't *defeat* him until GG got angry, and Obi got his coolness back.

I don't ever remember Kenobi becoming angry during his duel with GG.. and I've seen the movie about twenty times now.

astrofan428
Anger can be seen during the Maul duel.

Focus can be seen during the GG duel.

newjak86
I think jedi are like the sith in terms of passion. The sith use it to gain power of the dark side this is their main way of gaining power. Jedi though use meditation to gain use of the force. Patience is the key for a jedi. Now in a fight I think what happens is that Jedi use anger or passions a better word but because of their training they remain focused on what they need to do. So they probably get angry but they know how to focus it so it doesn't consume them like a Sith. And about the Maul fight don't forget when he went head first just swinging like a Sith he eventually found himself about to fall into a saft. It wasn't until he focused his feeling that he defeated Maul.

PVS
Originally posted by kenobi2004
PVS take this from me......SHUT UP.

and just who the hell are you?

not the owner of this forum, i know that.
so instead of throwing a tantrum, realise that if its not
in the film, its not canon. if its not canon, it has no place in
the ep3 forum. or you can just be a dick about it.
your choice

astrofan428
I think he already made the choice. stick out tongue

WindDancer
There is no doubt that Obi wanted revenge for his falling comrades. And maybe his anger did gave him the edge over Anakin. I remenber correctly Palpatine telling Luke in ROTJ to given into anger. For the dark side will make you stronger.

kenobi2004
Oh then i think i misunderstood that look on Obiwan face
he is a good guy all through star wars that's why i thought like it's impossible obiwan falls into the Darkside even for a while

Lazerlike42
As far as requiring anger to defeat a Sith Lord, I would agree in part. Obi-Wan was young and unexperienced during the Maul duel and more likely to succumb to anger (as mind you was Ewan McGreggor more likely to succumb to being out of character, just a thought). I wouldn't say it's anger however that's required, just agression.... being on the offensive. The Sith are using hate and anger all throughout their duels, and it makes them very agressive. Anyone who is going to defeat them will need to be just as agressive. No football team is going to beat the New England Patriots or the Philidelphia Eagles unless they go out and be agressive and smack people around because that's hat they do. It's just a part of any kind of combat; you have to match the opponents intensity.

That said, I reiterate that I don't know that it is anger so much that helps defeat the Sith so much as intensity and being on the offensive to match their offensive style.

WindDancer
Well, true you cannot discard skills and concentration and substitude anger. But anger is indeed an emotion which produces aggresive behavior. It gives you that adreline which helps you be more offensive in combat. And yes any football team can beat the NE Patriots or the Eagles as long as they get out played by their opponet in every move or pass or even fouls committed.

Lazerlike42
On the football side I would have to disagree because of the nature of the sport, in which it is inherent that outplaying a team on any given play requires matching or eclipsing their physicality (especially since every aspect of a football game is won on the line).

However I would agree with you when we apply it to what is on topic insofar as that a defensive minded combatant who is not as intense as another opponent can very easily defeat the more agressive duelist by out-thinking and perfoming him in combat as far as the tactical and (I'm not sure what the word is) stylistic nature of the duel.

In any case, in Epsiode 1 Obi-Wan's aggression, be-it from anger or otherwise, only lands him hanging for dear life in a bottomless shaft, unarmed and at the will of Darth Maul. It's his BRAINS that allows him to defeat Maul. It's only when he regains his cool and starts to think that he saves himself and defeats his opponent.

Blu93GT
Originally posted by Blu93GT

Originally posted by palpy_666
I don't ever remember Kenobi becoming angry during his duel with GG.. and I've seen the movie about twenty times now.

i don't remember it either - i just assumed that the person who started this topic must have seen something i missed. this topic is based on the idea that he did - reference the very first post.

regardless of whether Obi-Wan lost his cool at the moment described by the topic starter, the general idea of anger in a Jedi is still an interesting topic...

kenobi2004
exactly what i meant....an angry jedi is something different...i mean yes it's something cool that they could control themselves since they can use both sides of the force in a fight if so is required....and i think this is the reason why the jedi are almost powerful more than the sith....they have all the knowledge...unlike the sith,depend only on anger

Lazerlike42
From OS:

When the Jedi became separated, Maul killed Qui-Gon with a well-placed saber strike. Kenobi, enraged, attacked Maul. This barrage was deflected by Maul who used Obi-Wan's touching of the dark side as a conduit for a Force attack; using the Force, Maul pushed Obi-Wan into a deep mining pit. Kenobi held onto an outcropping for dear life. Calming himself by calling upon the light side of the Force, Kenobi was able to surprise Maul, and cleave him in half with his saber.

kenobi2004
guess this does answer many things

darth_haku
pvs do what kenobi2004 says!!!!

o-b-1 expressed anger and dident use it!!!!

devil ninja alien evil face

Red Superfly
That also explains Maul's "puzzled" face. Maul was thinking he had Obi-Wan all stressed out and mad, and didn't expect him to collect himself. I can see why Maul was surprised as Obi-Wan leaped over him and cut him up.

As for Obi-Wan using the dark side after that, no. It's just physical strain.

Unlike the Clone War cartoons, Jedi are not superheroes. They strain, they get hurt, and they need physical strength as well as the force.

You can have a nasty looking face, which looks angry, and still have collective thoughts.

Also, this is pure speculation, but, Obi-Wan may actually be pretending he is angry. He defeated a Sith by touching the dark side and then coming back, which confused the Sith - maybe prentedning to be angry is a way to get his enemy to think like Maul, and underestimate Kenobi's resolve. Pure speculation yeah, but I seriously don't think Kenobi ever showed true anger.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.