Why do people not like Star Wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robin Darkside
I always liked star wars, and I dont understand how people can not like it. It seems that people think that there too intelligent or something. I watched the news today and some imply its all about selling mechandise. Revenge of the sith, I thought, everyone would like it, including the people who didn't like star wars before. Some news guy refered to another guy who said " Throw your heart over a fence, and people will follow", I'm not sure what exactly that means, but I can get an idea.

Whats worng with Sci Fi Fantasy movies. What do the others like? Titanic I guess.

Anyway, I just hate how people bad mouth starwars, its like there jealous of Lucas or something.

Thinking of the psychology or even the philosphy of star wars is too hard to think about right now. So hopefully someone can help me understand better....

astrofan428
I understand why people dont like it, and I dont mind it. I dont understand the people who bash the **** out of it.

Mist
the people who dont like the Matrix are the ones who dont understand it erm

Robin Darkside
yeah, I guess not everyone has to like the same things, but yes, why the f*** do they have to bash it is right. exactly. So many people like it, and you get the jerks on TV or the news having to say, its ridiculus or blah blah, whatever.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by Mist
the people who dont like the Matrix are the ones who dont understand it erm

agreed.... or moreso, who don't want to take the effort to think about it and expect everything to be spelled out

Lazerlike42
lol you know what I don't understand? Walking into the theatre to pick up our tickets May 18th this group of 20 y/o girls is walking by and they say, "what is Star Wars anyways?" and another replies, "I think it's about aliens fighting or something..."

If you don't like it that's fine, but how do you spend 20 years on Earth without knowing what it is? eek!

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by Lazerlike42
agreed.... or moreso, who don't want to take the effort to think about it and expect everything to be spelled out

I agree with that, People dont really think about it when they watch the movies. What do they think about then? maybe all they see is effects. Anyway, there missing out on quite a bit

DeVi| D0do
The Matrix was good... the sequels were not.

Lazerlike42
see that's why I say people don't like the sequels... I spent months in a Matrix forum when Revolutions came out and it made perfect sense if thought about it and tossed ideas around, and it actually gained a lot of interest after that. I liked them, I thought they weer good. I have many other more important reasons I think people don't like them..... but anyways..... offtopic

DarkYoda
lol you know what I don't understand? Walking into the theatre to pick up our tickets May 18th this group of 20 y/o girls is walking by and they say, "what is Star Wars anyways?" and another replies, "I think it's about aliens fighting or something..."

If you don't like it that's fine, but how do you spend 20 years on Earth without knowing what it is? eek!

Exactly. Society is raising a bunch of stupid-spoiled-whores who have no brains.

Me personally? I like beauty and brains... like Natalie Portman! stick out tongue

DarkYoda
see that's why I say people don't like the sequels... I spent months in a Matrix forum when Revolutions came out and it made perfect sense if thought about it and tossed ideas around, and it actually gained a lot of interest after that. I liked them, I thought they weer good. I have many other more important reasons I think people don't like them..... but anyways..... offtopic

Well, I don't want to turn this into a Matrix thread, but I enjoyed the Matrix and Reloaded... I just thought Revolutions needed more work. I think a lot of people would love to see an alternate version. Why wouldn't they? There's a market for it... lots of ways it could end... isn't that what the Matrix is about... alternate realities? Hmmm. Meditate on this I will. big grin

DeVi| D0do
The ideas brought up and developed on in the Matrix sequels were great... I hate the films for other reasons. Revolutions was just boring... and Reloaded was a CG-fest. And not a good one either.

The Biker Scout
you might be thinking, "Star Wars isn't real!". Tell that to the masses who dress up every day as Darth Vader and Princess Leia across the globe, tell that to the folks who build droid replicas in their garages, study Sith history, and practice their Huttese. Star Wars is very real.

Lord Yoda
Originally posted by DarkYoda
Exactly. Society is raising a bunch of stupid-spoiled-whores who have no brains.

Me personally? I like beauty and brains... like Natalie Portman! stick out tongue

Fine, Natalie Portman is!drool

And anyway, here is how i see it: Some jacka$$/dumba$$ starts a rumor that only geeks watch those movies, because he didn't understand. Seeing as this guy is popular people believe him and the rumor spreads. Soon everyone knows and wants to fit in, so they don't like Star Wars.

The Biker Scout
that sig sucks

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by Lord Yoda
Fine, Natalie Portman is!drool

And anyway, here is how i see it: Some jacka$$/dumba$$ starts a rumor that only geeks watch those movies, because he didn't understand. Seeing as this guy is popular people believe him and the rumor spreads. Soon everyone knows and wants to fit in, so they don't like Star Wars.

followers, people dont think for themselves.

I had a somewhat similar experience, the opposite though

My best friend and I, always liked star wars, OT especially, seen the first show for all the PT. There were some we knew, who didn;t care for starwars, but when ROTS came out, because we were so big on it, others started to or pretended to get really into star wars. (Friends girlfriend and friends especially), its kinda weird

I think in that respect, people wanting to fit in would be correct

Red Superfly
In my experienece, those who don't like Star Wars are

a) Narrow minded and unimaginative.

b) Stupid.

I'm not kidding either. That is a GENUINE observation.

darth vaper
and they dont have a good taste of good movies sick

Red Superfly
Seeing as Star Wars is widely considerred not only the most important series of movies of all time, but also the BEST series of movies of all time, those that don't like it are stupid, in my opinion. There are a small minority who have legit reasons, but typically, in my experience, those that don't like Star Wars are stupid morons. The same stupid morons that think they're too big to watch Finding Nemo, think that Spider-Man is just a kids movie, video games are mindless, and that comic books are "below" them.

It's like shrugging off Casablanca or Citizen Kane as crap movies. You just don't.

"No, I am your father" - biggest movie quote EVER? Respect the 'Wars people.

ccoo
A majority of people loved the original Star Wars. That movie is universaly loved. But once you start making sequels, and start expanding the story, you really have to like the subject alot to keep enjoying movies. As much as I have certain problems with the prequels, I give Lucas credit for keeping an interesting story for 6 movies. Usually most series begin to get real redundant after 2 or 3 sequels are made.

Red Superfly
YEah, I was kinda refferring to the classic Trilogy with those comments.

I can see why people dont like the prequels, they have a ton of fundamental faults that the originals never had. You need to be a fan or a very forgiving newcomer to enjoy them.

Geoff_Death
What confused me, is like, 20 odd people I know who didn't really even know what Star Wars was until the trailers for ROTS went to the midnight screening, It was just like some thing that everyone was doing, and it was cool to stay up on a school night or something...

Boris
In my experience people who don't like Star Wars are confused by it, do not understand it, or seem to think that it is 'geeky'.

Thornbane
I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but the reason people aren't interested (the tweenies) is for the exact reasons listen in this thread. Building model R2s, dressing as wookies, and practicing on your huttees, or building your life around Yoda's teachings (which are just general low-level budhist) is just plain lame to the general population.

It's the same reason you won't see Star Trek back on the air for another ten years or so.

The die-hard fans alienate the non-fans.

Appreciate the movies for what they are (bubble-gum space operas) and you're fine. The minute you step over that, you're alienating the "normies"

I love Star Wars. I love the EU. But the pure geek-dom drives people away.

Happened to Star Wars. Happened to Star Trek. Happened to Dungeons and Dragons. The list goes on.

Appreciate the movies!

ArynCrinn
What is worse than people who who bash it, are people who have never seen any of them and know nothing about it and bash it or say they don't like it.

green dude
When i was say 5 -8 i didn't really know what SW was and i heard some bad things about it but i didn't bad mouth it.

I saw the first it was ok but saw third mayjor like but i never bad mouth it but because it has to do with space and tec. it's for geeekzz???.

You know what one of my friends is a geek and she says starwars is for geeks ? im like confused confused but i think it for those who have a brain and the dialoge and everything is simple to understand it's not rocket science.

But people just only like Sister hood of traveling pants that's a little scary they share their pant's weird no guy would do that and i wouldn't stick out tongue.

But if don't like something keep your mouth shut if you bad mouth SW i would cut your mouth off with a lightsaber if i had one stick out tonguebut still don't like tuff luck.

Stunrun

Have they been in a coma for 29 years!!??mad

sorry it just makes my blood boil! my dad admitted to me that he couldnt get into Star Wars, and he's only saw parts of of a few episode's - which im fine about. I accept its not everyone's cup of tea, but atleast he knows the basics, like:

Anakin becomes Darth Vader.
Luke and Leia are brother and sis, and Vader is there father.
He's heard of Yoda (who hasnt?)
He's heard of Han Solo (who hasnt?)
Obi-Wan Kenobi, etc, etc, etc!

Its impossible not to know anything about Star Wars whether you like it or not. Its a worldwide phenomenon, that has pretty much been apart of lifes for almost 3 decades!

These people need to be shot -nuff saidstick out tongue

ragesRemorse
i know people dont like the new star wars movies, because they are poorly written and for the most part poorly acted. Why they dont like the oringals is beyond me.

sairarouge
I heard two girls talking the other day.

Girl A: Man, Star Wars sucks eh?

Girl B: Yeah. 'Look at me, I have 2 horns and my best friend is a robot'.

Me: Staring blankly at the 2 stupid stupid girls.

Uhh...yes... blink

Sarah

filmcat
I'll answer the question as to why I personally don't like Star Wars, and I'll do it respectfully, but frankly. I recognize that many people love the whole star wars universe and I think I can see why.

The main reason I don't like SW is that the story and execution feel hokey and contrived. I think there's a good story in there, but it got wrecked by a weird sort of excess, extremely schmaltzy humor and a desperate attempt to validate itself with a sense of importance that the story and execution don't merit.

Throw in characters like jar jar binks and I'm reaching for the air sickness bag.

My personal arc into science fiction on the screen began like a lot of people with Star Trek (TOS) then 2001: A Space Odyssey, which, for me, remains the one of the high water marks of science fiction film. I also have a deep respect for Fritz Lang's Metropolis, which, 87 years later, puts many SF films to shame. I mean, 1927, people, and he absolutely RAWKED it.

I expect science fiction to be largely dark in message and story and I absolutely 100% expect it to be free of slapstick cornball goober-grade humor.

On the upside, I think it's great that so many people view Star Wars reverently as a kind of mythology they can aspire to...that is one of the things fiction should do. I also respect the things that were invented for the little sets..IIRC, something with chains and gears to ensure that camera fly-bys would behave as though on a real craft...That's pretty clever and very effective, and I think holds up as well or better than any other aspect of those first films.

thank you for reading,

filmcat

queeq
Thanks, film cat. Just pointing out that SW is not science fiction. It's a fairy tale.

Shey Tapani
It's a mix, the later stuff added a lot of nuance.

queeq
It's not a mix, there's no future, there's no relationship with earth, there's no philosophical view on science and mankind... it is space fiction. Not SCIENCE fiction.

Lord Lucien
From Wikipedia:

Distinguishing between science fiction and fantasy, Rod Serling claimed that the former was "the improbable made possible" while the latter was "the impossible made probable".

queeq
There ya go, SW is fantasy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.