SW not being Cheese, just loyal to the old 30s serial tradition.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Zhin

DeVi| D0do
The writing is still cheesy... but yeah, it's intentional.

Darth Zhin
Thanks For Being a the First One To Respond to My First Thread DevilDodo!!!

You Won an One-Way Trip to Mustafar!!!!

Enjoy!

ragesRemorse
If the bad dialogue is intentional, why is there either good dialogue or bad? I believe the elaboration of emotion is intentional, that was the style of the 30's series, but not the bad script.

Darth Zhin

ragesRemorse
I just dont buy that, because many of the hokey lines come during or after significant momments.

DeVi| D0do
Come on... he can't really think that some of the lines he writes are actually good. They're stylised. Surely he knows they sound cheesy... otherwise I think he needs some serious help...

Darth Zhin

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Come on... he can't really think that some of the lines he writes are actually good. They're stylised. Surely he knows they sound cheesy... otherwise I think he needs some serious help...

things always look different on paper. If this were true, why is the oringal trilogy not plagued with blatant cheese?

Darth Zhin

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
things always look different on paper. If this were true, why is the oringal trilogy not plagued with blatant cheese?
heh, that's true. Though I think there is much cheese in the original trilogy... but definitely not as much.

Probably due to the fact that he didn't screenwrite the OT. He's said time and time again that these films don't rely on dialogue. That you could watch them with just the visuals and music...

which is partially true. But if you're gonna have dialogue why not make it good? meh. It doesn't really bother me... I do think that the writing at least on the PT is very stylized.

ragesRemorse

Darth Zhin
now that i'll buy. I'm not trying to make it look like i despise these movies for this. I am just annoyed because many times i was taken completely out of the movie due to feeble dialogue. I still like all the star wars movies.

Completly undertandable position (which I share completly in TPM!)

and yes, ESB & ROTJ were co-scripted with Kasdan and some other guy

cal31
things always look different on paper. If this were true, why is the oringal trilogy not plagued with blatant cheese? It is, ignorance just tends to overlook those things. I can think of just as many cheesy lines in the OT as the PT. How about "Two ships against a Star Destroyer?" or "Somehow, I've always known" or "But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters" How can you honestly say those lines from the OT aren't cheesy, then say lines that are exactly like them from the PT are cheesy. It's yourself who makes them cheesy.

Darth Zhin
Yep, SW was allways meant to be a little cheese.

Justa like those old fun serials! stick out tongue

green dude
SW like Nachos they'r great but need some cheese and it's the old style.
Boys at my school old style all have hair to their elbows not cool stick out tongue

Darth Zhin

Darth Zhin

ragesRemorse
i never said the oringal had no cheese, but it diddnt come at key emotional turning points.

The Biker Scout
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
The writing is still cheesy... but yeah, it's intentional.

and loved by millions the world over!!!

Y-chromo kid
Maybe I'm cynical but that "homage" line, the "in the vocabulary of the thirties" guff is used rather to readily for my liking. And as for that cheese thing, well there's good cheese and there's bad cheese. I like the former.

Darth Zhin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.