Star wars landing strip??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robin Darkside
When anakin had to crash land the broken in half sepertist ship, there was a landing strip. Since when do the ships have to take off and land like the planes we have? They are magnetized and can land vertically. So why was there a landing strip in EP III?

Stunrun
try landing half a ship verticallywink

Batman316
Originally posted by Stunrun
try landing half a ship verticallywink

Worked in 'Hotshots'

Robin Darkside
In there case, yes they would neeed one. smart ass.
Maybe the strips there for emergencies

Lazerlike42
There could be some craft that requires a landing strip. Also, it may not have been a landing strip; it may have been something else that they used as a landing strip. AlSO, lol, Robin could be right, it may be there for emergencies. Out of an entire planet to choose from, Anakin piloted it to that strip, so he knew it was there. That would seem to indicate it is there for emergencies.

Gladiuus
I believe the novelization states something to the effect that the landing strip was thrown together quickly before they landed, or something.

Robin Darkside
???????????????

Fishy
Thats pretty impressive, to bulid something like that on a pretty crowded planet in minutes would require skill beyond anything possible really

Wickerman
Way i see it that strip could've been there for the completely opposite reason. Taking off instead of landing. I imagine it'd be faster for the ships to take off off a landing strip than just vertically (because remember the have to hover first)

~wickerman~

Robin Darkside
wtf, what u talking about, reallty???????????

jaden101
that whole scene was another dig at US policy....the ship breaking up in the atmosphere...can anyone say "columbia"

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by jaden101
that whole scene was another dig at US policy....the ship breaking up in the atmosphere...can anyone say "columbia"

WHAT? How do you get that? And what does that have to do with policy?

Wickerman

wtf??? What the f**k?

~wickerman~

darthmaul1
i really wish people would stop comparing this story that was thought of years ago to current stuff, the goverment??? the columbia??? give me a break.
Yeah GL saw the columbia blowup and thought I'm going to put that in my movie. some times things are there just cause.

PVS
why does everone accociate images with tragedy?
a million objects have been seen breaking up in the atmosphere,
but automatically its an exploitation of the columbia tragedy.
a million buildings have been seen on fire, yet the jedi temple is
assumed to be an exploitation of 911. really, no offence intended jaden,
but lighten up. should lucas take the reality out of reentry and the smoke out of fire to please the oversensative?

as far as the landing strip, it WAS a landing strip. the flight control tower was a dead giveaway i think. perhaps it was not a runway, but rather a strip where ships are lined up, as we see when obiwan leaves coruscant in the star destroyer. it stands to reason that the strip was empty because all ships were deployed for the space battle. i think that works, right?

jaden101
...given that lucas himself stated the political comments in the film...they are hardly inconspicuous are they

"this is how liberty dies...to thunderous applause"

"if you are not with me...then you are my enemy"

the smoking towers in the distance scene of the jedi temple

and look at the scene of the invisible hand breaking up...then look at the images of the columbia breaking up

while yes you do see lots of things breaking up in the atmospehere...namely meteors etc...how often to you see them in daylight...not often...not to mention that the invisible IS A SHIP

http://i.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/2003/1101030210_400.jpg

compare that to the attached pic

forgive me for the poor quality as i took it from my mobile phone from the tv and bluetoothed it to my pc

i just thought the similarity was striking

Red Superfly
Sure, it' may in fact be a political dig at the US.

So......what?

jaden101
well im just saying...cant a guy make a f*ckin comment without getting jumped on by a bunch of over zelous deniers?

Hybris
to care about this thread, I do not

jaden101
care about you not caring about this thread, we ...do not

PVS
...given that lucas himself stated the political comments in the film...they are hardly inconspicuous are they

the smoking towers in the distance scene of the jedi temple

and look at the scene of the invisible hand breaking up...then look at the images of the columbia breaking up

while yes you do see lots of things breaking up in the atmospehere...namely meteors etc...how often to you see them in daylight...not often...not to mention that the invisible IS A SHIP

forgive me for the poor quality as i took it from my mobile phone from the tv and bluetoothed it to my pc

what a huge crock of shit
so i guess there should never have been a crash landing scene in SW? i guess we should never EVER see such a thing in science fiction? GOD FORBID its realistic. i guess GL should change the laws af physics and remove the element of friction from reentry just so you can be happy?

it was well known 27+ years ago that palpatine dissolved the senate. the act of doing so and turning a democracy into an empire is repeated throughout history. when ceaser took over, he was cheered. when lenin and stalin took over, they were cheered. when hitler took over, he was worshipped. now ALL OF THE F***ING SUDDEN, any alluding to this pattern is a direct attack on bush.

words spoken by every dictator throuout history. ALL OF THE SUDDEN this mentallity of absolutes can NEVER be discussed. no...lucas should have his story, based on repeating history of the human race, altered to please the oversensative douches and remove all significant meaning behind the political happenings of the saga.

f*** this, this is seriously pissing me off

Swanky-Tuna

I'm pretty sure in the future when other ships break up on re-entry, they'll look very similar. I think there's only one way for a ship to look while breaking up. Unless it was like... full of fireworks or something.

jaden101
it pisses me off as well...but its in the film...and once again..lucas himself spoke of the politics in the film on an interview on the BBc that i watched with my own eyes

so you can rant and rave like a child all you want but thats what those scenes were put in the film for...

dont delude yourself that every scene of the prequel trilogy was set out long ago...cause the fact is they werent...christ...even the role of mace windu was only written in because sammy jackson said on TFI Friday that he wouldn't mind a part in the films...next day he gets a call from lucas saying he'll write in something for him

so if you dont like the fact that those are digs at Bush...then tough shit...cause they are

Red Superfly
The only landing strip I wanted to see was Padme's.

jaden101
Originally posted by Red Superfly
The only landing strip I wanted to see was Padme's.

laughing out loud ..you dirty minded boy

PVS
so if you dont like the fact that those are digs at Bush...then tough shit...cause they are

quote the article or be silent.
i hate when people give a second hand appraisal and use that as their 'proof'
and you obviously never paid attention in western civivilization history class.
i knew how it would basically unfold before the PT even came out. every dictatorship is formed out of a public cry for safety. every newly appointed dictator is hailed as a savior. the comment about the "death of libery" is as old as the hills. its all basic history 101. if you cant see that, and insist on crying and getting your hormones in an uproar because there are negative things in ep3 that can relate to all bad moments in history, today included, then tough shit. "WAAAAAAAAA!!!! I DONT WANT TO SEE A STORY THAT REMINDS ME OF NEGATIVE HAPPENINGS!!!!!" well go watch f***ing willy wonka when it comes out and stfu, please

Red Superfly
Don't tell these poeple to go watch Willy Wonka, they'd probably find reference to some terrorist activity there too.

"Chocolate? France is the best at making chocolate. Wait a minute! This movie references the French? 9/11! Iraq! Terrorism! Global Warming!"

Veruca Salt would give them nightmares.

jaden101
Originally posted by PVS
quote the article or be silent.
i hate when people give a second hand appraisal and use that as their 'proof'
and you obviously never paid attention in western civivilization history class.
i knew how it would basically unfold before the PT even came out. every dictatorship is formed out of a public cry for safety. every newly appointed dictator is hailed as a savior. the comment about the "death of libery" is as old as the hills. its all basic history 101. if you cant see that, and insist on crying and getting your hormones in an uproar because there are negative things in ep3 that can relate to all bad moments in history, today included, then tough shit. "WAAAAAAAAA!!!! I DONT WANT TO SEE A STORY THAT REMINDS ME OF NEGATIVE HAPPENINGS!!!!!" well go watch f***ing willy wonka when it comes out and stfu, please

get a grip of yourself pvs cause if you bother to read the previous posts i think you will see that its you that gets your undies in a twist..not me

and were you not listening when i said i watched the interview...how do you go about quote an article when it wasn't an article...

sorry...didn't get "western civivilisation" class...and didn't even do history

well it wasn't really that difficult a task figuring out how the prequels were going to end was it?...

but still

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157229,00.html

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2005-05-17-sith-politics_x.htm

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,4120,1490397,00.html#article_continue

jaden101
just because i state what i see and have seen...i am lambasted with idiotic comments

i never put the scenes in...i never made the political comment...but they are there... i dont even agree with the anti bush sentiments of starwars... didnt really care about the anti vietnam aspects of the original trilogy either but thats something else that lucas admitted to

do you seriously think prominent people dont use their own political beliefs in the work they produce?...of course they do and lucas is no different...even if its something you dont agree with...you cant deny that its there

jaden101
a quote by none other than george lucas

"STAR WARS is a wakeup call to Americans about the erosion of democratic freedoms under George W. Bush"

PVS
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2005/05/16/BL2005051600615.html

PVS
-quote from article:

Lucas said he has long been interested in the transition from democracy to dictatorship.

"In ancient Rome, 'why did the senate, after killing Caesar, turn around and give the government to his nephew?' Lucas said. 'Why did France, after they got rid of the king and that whole system, turn around and give it to Napoleon? It's the same thing with Germany and Hitler.'

" 'You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption.' "
=================================

lucas proclaims that the paralells to TODAYS political happenings were not directly intended, but rather that it is a reoccuring theme in history. so i guess since paralells CAN be drawn, then its all GL's fault? should he ignore history and write a meaningless fairytale instead, to appease those who wish to remain with their heads in the sand? please erm

jaden101
indeed...i read an interview when he said he has always been interested in the transition from democracy to dictatorship

but we have to realise that many of the scenes in ROTS are not coincidental because they are CGI and have been given clear direction to look a certain way

i'm certainly not the only person who has noticed these similarities and they have already been discussed on kmc

personally i would prefer the references to be less overt but thats my own opinion and my own political stance

Robin Darkside
wow, this thread got really political
I'm sorry
I just wanted to know why there was a landng strip in EP III?

jaden101
Originally posted by Robin Darkside
wow, this thread got really political
I'm sorry
I just wanted to know why there was a landng strip in EP III?

laughing out loud

it does that once in a while...there was a landing strip...cause if there wasnt then that would mean the ship would have to crash into buildings...hey wait a minute... stick out tongue

Swanky-Tuna
Wait... how is a crashed up ship political?

jaden101
if you bothered to read the thread you wouldn't have to ask

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.