JEHOVAH: The Real Name of God?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury
Yes or No. And why?

smile

debbiejo
No...Elohim

Storm
The four letter tetragrammaton (Greek, 'four letters') is the true name of the god of the Hebrew scriptures. Its pronunciation is considered to have great power, and is never spoken aloud, save for once a year, in the inner sanctuary of the Temple during the rites of Yom Kippur. In written scripture, it is given the vowel markings and pronunciation of the word Adonai, lord, leading to the common Christian mispronunciation of the name as Jehovah. In Judaism, the tetragrammaton is commonly referred to as "Hashem," The Name.

One theory regarding the disuse of the Tetragrammaton is that the Jewish taboo on its pronunciation was so strong that the original pronunciation may have been lost somewhere in the first millennium. Since then, many scholars (particularly Christians) have sought to reconstruct its original pronunciation. For example, circa 1518 Christian theologians introduced the pronunciation Yehovah, which is generally held to be implausible, based on the written form that was used to indicate to the reader of the Bible in Hebrew to pronounce it "Adonai".

PrinceofBlades
JEHOVAH, I am, God, Father, etc. Countless names, one person. Is there a problem with this, Jury?

debbiejo
Elohim was the first word for God(s) in the OT. Some have even said that it was a neutral or even feminine form of god(s)...Not sure on that, but I do know it was FIRST mentioned and that it was plural.

finti
odin

debbiejo
Well if were going to get specific, then everyone knows it's RA.

AdventChild
Originally posted by finti
odin
agreed....

debbiejo
OK ok...Zeus .....He was more colorful....Many more stories.

AdventChild
Originally posted by debbiejo
OK ok...Zeus .....He was more colorful....Many more stories. laughing

Lazerlike42
Elohim is not plural. In Genesis 1:1, Elohim is paired with the verb bara, which is roughly, "to create." The verb bara is in the singular. Elohim must be singular to pair with bara.

It's similar to the english phenomenom of words like moose, or goose. Elohim can refer to pluarlity or singularity, just as these words can. It is the context of the surrounding words which determines the pluarilty.

Storm
The form of the word Elohim, with the ending -im, is plural and masculine, but the construction is usually singular, i.e. it governs a singular verb or adjective when referring to the Hebrew god, but reverts to its normal plural when used of heathen divinities.

Jury
Originally posted by PrinceofBlades
JEHOVAH, I am, God, Father, etc. Countless names, one person. Is there a problem with this, Jury?

Yes, Prince.

JEHOVAH is an ERRONEOUS name. So, if someone enforced somebody to use JEHOVAH as God's official or proper or real name, it is using God's name in vain.

Isn't it a problem, Prince?

finti
so?

PrinceofBlades
Originally posted by Jury
Yes, Prince.

JEHOVAH is an ERRONEOUS name. So, if someone enforced somebody to use JEHOVAH as God's official or proper or real name, it is using God's name in vain.

Isn't it a problem, Prince?

No it's not. I'm known by countless names to friends and family. Finiti should know about this being a dad and all. When you've got little kids who cant pronounce your name very well, they give you a nickname. And they may never stop calling you that because it grows on both of them. Same thing goes here. No one knows or can perfectly pronounce the name of God. So what do we do? We come up with nicknames. It only becomes "in vain" when you use it outside of a personal conversation. Like "Oh my God!", "Oh my Jehovah", or (for debbiejo) "Oh my Zeus!!" Than it becomes a problem.

finti
indeed

PrinceofBlades
indeed

jawdrop

Wow, now there's a first...

debbiejo
Yeah, his daughter calls him Abba.

OK, I've gotta a question.....I've heard some say that saying "OH, my gosh" is also taking Gods name in vain...Whata think?

How about "Cheeze and Rice, Why'd you do that?"

Lazerlike42
Yeah, his daughter calls him Abba.

OK, I've gotta a question.....I've heard some say that saying "OH, my gosh" is also taking Gods name in vain...Whata think?

How about "Cheeze and Rice, Why'd you do that?"

It could be.... I used to know someone who would say "GodRAM" instead of damn just so as not to say the swear.... but th intention is the same, it's just a way of saying the swear without technically saying it. I always say "oh my gosh," but I don't consider it taking His name in vain.... it's all what's in my heart/head when I say it, and I think it's all in everyone's when they say it

finti
we aint Swedes !!!!!

that is the ultimate computer right?

debbiejo
laughing out loud Makes my day to laugh

The Super conputer...

finti
conputer as in a scam thing? confused confused wink

DCLXVI
Debbiejo said> "Yeah, his daughter calls him Abba."

laughing
Best. Quote. Ever. stick out tongue
Too bad he's Norweigan....stick out tongue

PrinceofBlades
yep...

finti
too bad for you that is

WindDancer
Adonai or YHWH pick one...

debbiejo
I've read Elohim, but you were not supposed to speak it, so God was called Adonai.

cking
God can be called by different names

debbiejo
This was the Jewish history

PrinceofBlades
^huh?

gp christ loves
god has had many names
none of wich are any better or any worse than any others
he is god and that is what truly matters

PrinceofBlades
Of course, just like scientist cant live with the fact that God created everything and have to make things more complicated than they already are, so will these people with the name ordeal...

WindDancer
I've read Elohim, but you were not supposed to speak it, so God was called Adonai.

Are they suppose to say it once a year in some temple? Or something like that? confused

debbiejo
^huh?

What I meant by Jewish history, is that it's the very very first name for God written in the OT...

I'm not sure about the temple once a year...But I do know some Messianic Jews that only refer to Him as Adonni, and some other people who want even type the word God. They type it G_D.

finti
well if that is a fact then you should be able to prove it too

debbiejo
Science IS proving it, but not in the way you think..

finti
so science is gonna prove god?, good cant wait

debbiejo
Buy your tickets now...

Have you ever picked up a book? blink

finti
yes and I read them too not just picking them up

PrinceofBlades
well if that is a fact then you should be able to prove it too

I can prove God invented the universe just as well as you can. Religion is a science, but science isn't a religion. To prove God exsists just open your eyes. Life is a simple thing made complicated by man so that he can feel he has a purpose. Life isn't a purpose. Although many people, who don't believe in an afterlife, think that life is a purpose are wrong. Just like eating isn't a purpose. It's an action. You eat so that you can live and reporduce. Eating helps you acuire the purpose of living and reproducing. Life is lived so that we can determine were we go when we died.

debbiejo
If life is waiting for consequences or rewards when you die, then you're missing out on living and experiencing it. Always waiting and getting depressed and can't wait for it to end, so that you can start enjoying your existence.

"yes and I read them too not just picking them up"

I use my books to stand on to reach things....

Well then you must of read that science has uncovered some kind of something that has some kind of intellegence...

finti
do it then cause I never said I could prove anything

yeah tell taht to the people of Sudan............. that argument you used can easily be turned around, to prove god does not exist open your eyes

it is to me, and its purpose is life itself

you just made eating a purpose.

Eating has very much a purpose, its purpose is to make life function

you should believe all you read wink

debbiejo

It's science Suger pie...

It's gonna eat you up.

velho

PrinceofBlades
do it then cause I never said I could prove anything

I cant tell you anything you haven't already heard.

yeah tell taht to the people of Sudan............. that argument you used can easily be turned around, to prove god does not exist open your eyes

This saying is not used to "open your eyes to the world" but rather to look, and seek life. Few ever understand, and even fewer perform it.

it is to me, and its purpose is life itself

Than that is fine by me.

you just made eating a purpose.

Eating has very much a purpose, its purpose is to make life function

No, eating helps us achieve a purpose. But eating is a detail. Like sleeping and talking. Your purpose in life (physically) is to live. That is the overall picture. Than it breaks down to reproducing and dying, and vocations...you know the whole nine yards...

Wait, all that I write? Or really all that I read? Would the National Inquire count?

finti
and to live you have to eat, thus the purpose of eating is to keep you alive

Jury
No it's not. I'm known by countless names to friends and family. Finiti should know about this being a dad and all. When you've got little kids who cant pronounce your name very well, they give you a nickname. And they may never stop calling you that because it grows on both of them. Same thing goes here. No one knows or can perfectly pronounce the name of God. So what do we do? We come up with nicknames. It only becomes "in vain" when you use it outside of a personal conversation. Like "Oh my God!", "Oh my Jehovah", or (for debbiejo) "Oh my Zeus!!" Than it becomes a problem.
Okay. I am asking you Prince...

Is it okay to use JEHOVAH as a proper name of God?

finti
proper name for god is finti

Jury
Well, as how you posted here... It is okay for you to use JEHOVAH as God's name.

So, Prince, is it really okay to use JEHOVAH as God's proper name even though it is ERRONEOUS?

debbiejo

Would the National Inquire count?

It always has.

finti
finti

debbiejo
Finti....God of the what?

finti
your will

debbiejo
eek! yes

sonnet
Originally posted by Storm
The four letter tetragrammaton (Greek, 'four letters') is the true name of the god of the Hebrew scriptures. Its pronunciation is considered to have great power, and is never spoken aloud, save for once a year, in the inner sanctuary of the Temple during the rites of Yom Kippur. In written scripture, it is given the vowel markings and pronunciation of the word Adonai, lord, leading to the common Christian mispronunciation of the name as Jehovah. In Judaism, the tetragrammaton is commonly referred to as "Hashem," The Name.

One theory regarding the disuse of the Tetragrammaton is that the Jewish taboo on its pronunciation was so strong that the original pronunciation may have been lost somewhere in the first millennium. Since then, many scholars (particularly Christians) have sought to reconstruct its original pronunciation. For example, circa 1518 Christian theologians introduced the pronunciation Yehovah, which is generally held to be implausible, based on the written form that was used to indicate to the reader of the Bible in Hebrew to pronounce it "Adonai". I\
I might just add that the name God gave Moses when He spoke to him was "I Am". Another Hebrew name for God is Yahweh. Jehovah was a name the Israelites called God. God actually has many names throughout the Bible. Just as Jesus was called many names etc. Lord, Rabbi, Master, Prince of peace, Prince of light, Lord of Lords.

Jury
Again Prince, I ask:

Is it really okay to use JEHOVAH as God's proper name even though it is ERRONEOUS?

debbiejo
Originally posted by sonnet
I\
I might just add that the name God gave Moses when He spoke to him was "I Am". Another Hebrew name for God is Yahweh. Jehovah was a name the Israelites called God. God actually has many names throughout the Bible. Just as Jesus was called many names etc. Lord, Rabbi, Master, Prince of peace, Prince of light, Lord of Lords.

And older and better translation might be "I am all there is." And if He/It is all there is...then what are we?

finti
all thats left?

PrinceofBlades
Again Prince, I ask:

Is it really okay to use JEHOVAH as God's proper name even though it is ERRONEOUS?

Erroneous by whos claims? My name (not really but just for the sake of argument) is Bob. If my two year old cant say "Bob", but rather "bo" or "boo" wouldn't make it wrong. Of course "Bo" or "boo" aren't my names, therefore erroneous. However not once through the bible did it ever mention Jesus correcting people for calling God by the wrong name. So I say "what ever rocks your boat. As long as you use that name with the utmost respect. When all else passes, go for it."

debbiejo
all thats left?

No, there isn't anything left....If god is all there is then we are????

PrinceofBlades
We are supposedly a part of him, so we are that is left with him. Everything else is nothing...

finti
left overs

debbiejo
Incorrect again....One more chance...

PrinceofBlades
Incorrect again....One more chance...

A game, I see...

debbiejo
A game, I see...

If god is all there is then what are we?

finti
the ones that made god

debbiejo
No..no, no... evil face

God stuff.

sonnet
And older and better translation might be "I am all there is." And if He/It is all there is...then what are we?

"I am (all there is)" means He is the one and only true God as he also revealed to Isaiah and instructed him to tell this to his people (Israelites). This makes us still his creation and not gods.

finti
nah that would make him an egocentric being

debbiejo
"I am (all there is)" means He is the one and only true God as he also revealed to Isaiah and instructed him to tell this to his people (Israelites). This makes us still his creation and not gods.

If he is everything and we are part of that everything...then...

finti
we would be gods

debbiejo
BINGO!!!!!!

Isn't it good to be god.

sonnet
BINGO!!!!!!

Isn't it good to be god.

If we are all gods why are the world struggling so much. We should have the power then to just change things with a wave of our hand.

finti
because gods bicker, havent you read Norse, Greek and Roman mythology

sonnet
because gods bicker, havent you read Norse, Greek and Roman mythology

Some of it but it is only stories like fairytales.

debbiejo
If we are all gods why are the world struggling so much. We should have the power then to just change things with a wave of our hand.

Because the church interfered with the gnostic belief of what could be done. And the church doesn't want people to know their true potential. How else could they receive money from the congregation. We do have the many abilities that are frowned on by the church.

finti
so is the bible

sonnet
Because the church interfered with the gnostic belief of what could be done. And the church doesn't want people to know their true potential. How else could they receive money from the congregation. We do have the many abilities that are frowned on by the church.

What about the many people who are not controlled by the church because the church does not control all of us.

sonnet
so is the bible

So you do not believe in the mythology either? There are some people who believe that these gods really existed.

debbiejo
What about the many people who are not controlled by the church because the church does not control all of us.

The doctrine does. And that's everywhere.

As far as non-church goers go...They don't even realize it...because it's so prevalent in society...handed down through the ages....But not all are fooled.

finti
no I dont believe in the mythology, to put it a bit differentl. Those gods exists/ed just as much as the christian god do

sonnet
The doctrine does. And that's everywhere.

As far as non-church goers go...They don't even realize it...because it's so prevalent in society...handed down through the ages....But not all are fooled.

You see not all Christians are controlled by the church because we do not believe that the church is always right. We rather believe what is written in the Bible. The churches takes things out of context many times and this is were we need to know what the Bible says. Even chritians know that our brains are very powerful tools and we have abilities but our brains need to be trained to use it.

debbiejo
You see not all Christians are controlled by the church because we do not believe that the church is always right. We rather believe what is written in the Bible. The churches takes things out of context many times and this is were we need to know what the Bible says. Even chritians know that our brains are very powerful tools and we have abilities but our brains need to be trained to use it.

Yes, but the church condemns anyone else who can heal in gods name, but of course it is a god called by a different name.

PrinceofBlades
Yes, but the church condemns anyone else who can heal in gods name, but of course it is a god called by a different name.

But didn't Jesus say "an enemy of your enemy is your friend."? I don't see where the bible condems this but rather supports it. But of course you may see differently...

debbiejo
But didn't Jesus say "an enemy of your enemy is your friend."? I don't see where the bible condems this but rather supports it. But of course you may see differently...

Maybe it's different in Catholic churches, but the protestant church and televangelists have made it clear that if it's not done in Jesus name, then it is from Satan...Just like the weeping Mary statues are from satan...Just like aliens are from satan (evil angels)...All unexplained or psychics are from satan....Hasn't anyone ever heard these things???

Or am I just the lucky one.

Jury
My name (not really but just for the sake of argument) is Bob. If my two year old cant say "Bob", but rather "bo" or "boo" wouldn't make it wrong. Of course "Bo" or "boo" aren't my names, therefore erroneous. However not once through the bible did it ever mention Jesus correcting people for calling God by the wrong name. So I say "what ever rocks your boat. As long as you use that name with the utmost respect. When all else passes, go for it."
Yes. But there are other ways and other names how we can call God. God is the LORD and Father.

But in the case of YHWH, it's different. It's YHWH and not JEHOVAH.

JEHOVAH is erroneous transliteration. It's not that it is difficult to pronounce, if it is difficult to pronounce the Name, why consider an erroneous transliteration to use as God's proper name?

Imposing the use of this erroneous name is also propagating an error - one way of using God's name in vain, indeed.

Grammarians, Lexicons, Translators, Bible Scholars, Transliteration Experts.

You should have known that, Prince. smile

debbiejo
Jury, you really need to broaden your horizons. You seen stagnated.

finti
go through life with tunnel vision must be a blast

PrinceofBlades
Owned....jury you got owned. Nah I'm jk stick out tongue. But seriously Jury the people who gave him the names are the ones saying it's erroneous. Using the name of God is vain is using it outside of his purpose: Prayer and Personal conversation. An utmost respect. Trash it, and it becomes a blasphemy.

Jury
Owned....jury you got owned. Nah I'm jk stick out tongue. But seriously Jury the people who gave him the names are the ones saying it's erroneous. Using the name of God is vain is using it outside of his purpose: Prayer and Personal conversation. An utmost respect. Trash it, and it becomes a blasphemy.
Yes. The people who are intelligible enough in transliteration field claim that the word JEHOVAH is ERRONEOUS.

While calling God in an erroneous manner (like calling Him JEHOVAH), is not really calling Him.

There are many ways and many Names we can call our God.

God is our Lord.

He once introduced Himself as "Jealous God".

He also presented Himself as "I AM".

And "I AM WHAT I AM".

Old Israel called Him "Father".

And Jesus Himself called God as "Father - the one and only true God".

One name, however, appears INCOMPREHENSIBLE for human wisdom, and that is YHWH.

Many attempted to transliterate the Tetragrammaton... but their toil only produced an ERRONEOUS one - JEHOVAH.

While it is erroneous - there's no need to recognize JEHOVAH as God's proper name.

PrinceofBlades
In your opinion, others wuold see differently. However, like I said before, the name doesn't matter, but rather the intention. It is Blasphemy, not because you used the name, but rather how you used it. If it's considered blasphemy to use the wrong name, and technically since it's God's name we can never fully pronounce it correctly, than we would all be responsible for this extremly commmon sin. However because blasphemy is the utter use of the word, and not the actual pronounciation let alone choice of it, than there is no real fault. Let's use an example. Lets say I know a tribe in africa who recognize God as "Father earth". Well it's how it translates into English. Catholic, follow the Church teachings, but are intelligent enough to not follow it blindly. And it's not biblically "erroneuos" because he did create the earth. So then why use a different name? Because it may suits them best for what they are believing in. Or face daily in their lives. Debbiejo, correct me if i'm wrong but, one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is Fear of the Lord. Well what if to ascertain that virture they recognize him as a different name. Or because they are poor and agriculture there is not as well as it should be, they know that in God's infinite power he can refurtilize the earth. You have to consider the times and the situations the names were used in. And if the times no longer call for that name, than perhaps it is erroneuos. But then again, if the meaning of each name is "God", than I don't see that happening anytime soon.

*sigh* that was long.

Jury
In your opinion, others wuold see differently. However, like I said before, the name doesn't matter, but rather the intention.
Are you sure God's Name doesn't matter when we call to Him?
YHWH is not the only Name of God. I pray you realize that. JEHOVAH is an ERRONEOUS name. So, why use an ERRONEOUS name to call to God? This doesn't make sense. Earlier, you already said: "name doesn't matter" when we pray to God. So, no need for you to argue with how we or others should call God. My question is: If the Name doesn't matter when we call or pray to God, so why did Jesus Christ always acknowledges the Name of God at the beginning of His prayers? Why? Because IT IS IMPORTANT. Christ already presented us the pattern of how we should pray to God. One's failure to call God by His name is itself a failure of recognition. Invoking the wrong name of the Father in heaven proves that one has not really recognized Him.
And JEHOVAH was never been a proper Name of God.
And empty.

debbiejo
OH...Geee Wizzz...Jesus even said to refer to God as Father, or Abba, to be familiar and not distant...God is a big god...He's not going to freak out!

As far as I've read "Fear of the Lord" isn't a fruit of the spirit, both fear in scripture is really to be in awe of God...Not terrified that He'll squash you.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such
things there is no law." (Galatians Chapter 5, verses 22-23)

PrinceofBlades
Odd I always thought that they were:
Charity
Joy
Peace
Patience
Benignity
Goodness
Long-suffering (patient suffering over an extended period)
Mildness
Faith
Modesty
Continency
Chastity

PrinceofBlades
And Jury, If God cares so much, why hasn't anyone stepped and corrected this? Honestly Jury, God doesn't care. The name DOESN"T matter, but rather the intention. The Africans called him Father Earth because of the intention that he would fertilize the earth. A gain for the people in the faith of His power. If I were to say (and only for the sake of argument) Oh my YHWH, but I don't recognize that as the name of God, am I responsible for comminting the act of blasphemy?

debbiejo
Odd I always thought that they were:
Charity
Joy
Peace
Patience
Benignity
Goodness
Long-suffering (patient suffering over an extended period)
Mildness
Faith
Modesty
Continency
Chastity

What verse is that in??? Maybe there are more than is listed in Galations that I quoted.

The 5th one down almost looks like benaughty. laughing out loud

PrinceofBlades
laughing only you would see stuff like that...

sonnet
What verse is that in??? Maybe there are more than is listed in Galations that I quoted.

The 5th one down almost looks like benaughty. laughing out loud

There are many chapters in the Bible that speaks of the fruits of the spirit not just Galations. You should really read the whole Bible not just the parts you like.

debbiejo
I've read the whole Bible. And have done years of Bible studies thanks.

I was a very long time strong Conservative Christian.

Jury
And Jury, If God cares so much, why hasn't anyone stepped and corrected this? Honestly Jury, God doesn't care. The name DOESN"T matter, but rather the intention. The Africans called him Father Earth because of the intention that he would fertilize the earth. A gain for the people in the faith of His power. If I were to say (and only for the sake of argument) Oh my YHWH, but I don't recognize that as the name of God, am I responsible for comminting the act of blasphemy?
Okay. "Name" of God doesn't matter to you when you call or pray to Him. That's it. That is your belief.

No one can utter YHWH but we can still call God as God, Father, Lord, and as how the Bible has prescribed... but again, One's failure to call God by His name is itself a failure of recognition. Invoking the wrong name of the Father in heaven proves that one has not really recognized Him. Like you do.

And I know you don't know Him. smile

PrinceofBlades
Okay. "Name" of God doesn't matter to you when you call or pray to Him. That's it. That is your belief.

No one can utter YHWH but we can still call God as God, Father, Lord, and as how the Bible has prescribed... but again, One's failure to call God by His name is itself a failure of recognition. Invoking the wrong name of the Father in heaven proves that one has not really recognized Him. Like you do.

And I know you don't know Him. smile

niether do you. And besides I recognize God as God, Father, Dude, what ever the moment calls for. (Actually the last one is a personal no one, it was a joke that grew on me)...

Jury
niether do you. And besides I recognize God as God, Father, Dude, what ever the moment calls for.
You also recognize Him ERRONEOUSLY as Jehovah. And it doesn't matter to you whether you use an ERRONEOUS name or not to call Him.

And that is a variety of "using God's name in vain".

sonnet
I've read the whole Bible. And have done years of Bible studies thanks.

I was a very long time strong Conservative Christian.
Read it again, we tend to forget quickly and then only remember the good parts that soothes our minds and purpose.

debbiejo
Read it again, we tend to forget quickly and then only remember the good parts that soothes our minds and purpose.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

I know my scripture pretty well.

Bicnarok

markie
Yes or No. And why?

smile Nobody knows, I just said no because Jehova or yaweh is supposed to have been the name of a volcano god. In the bible when moses asked god who shall I say sent me God said i am that i am in the kjv and I will become what I will become in newer versions. Those aren't names, if anything god is just saying he is what he is or will be what he will be. YHWH could very well be the name of god but if it is it should be yaweh, not jahovah.

markie
Originally posted by Lazerlike42
Elohim is not plural. In Genesis 1:1, Elohim is paired with the verb bara, which is roughly, "to create." The verb bara is in the singular. Elohim must be singular to pair with bara.

It's similar to the english phenomenom of words like moose, or goose. Elohim can refer to pluarlity or singularity, just as these words can. It is the context of the surrounding words which determines the pluarilty. It is in the strongs concordance and new standard bible concordance. God's name is eloah and im makes it plural. Elohim was usualy used for god, but it could mean angels or magistrates too.

markie
Because the church interfered with the gnostic belief of what could be done. And the church doesn't want people to know their true potential. How else could they receive money from the congregation. We do have the many abilities that are frowned on by the church. It's strange that the same church that condemned them as being heritics has adopted some of their practices. I remember seeing a picture of the woman jesus christ in the catholic churches stained glass windows.

Imperial_Samura
I think the best way to clear it all up is to simply call him/her/it John. He/she/it could even have it legally changed by deed poll, and all confusion would end.

debbiejo
Originally posted by markie
It is in the strongs concordance and new standard bible concordance. God's name is eloah and im makes it plural. Elohim was usualy used for god, but it could mean angels or magistrates too.

Wow....someone agrees with me....

It's strange that the same church that condemned them as being heritics has adopted some of their practices. I remember seeing a picture of the woman jesus christ in the catholic churches stained glass windows.

like the pentacostal churches.

markie
You also recognize Him ERRONEOUSLY as Jehovah. And it doesn't matter to you whether you use an ERRONEOUS name or not to call Him.

And that is a variety of "using God's name in vain". If God's name is YHWH it is pronounced yaweh because it is unpronouncable without vowels. Jehovah is the same name with a different pronounciation. The Y is becimess a J and depending on what vowels you use it can be pronounced jahove or jehoveh etc. vowels weren't important at that time. I guess they were implied or they would have a hard time talking.
YHWH is most likely one of his names because uf you say it without any vowels it sounds like a blowing sound which is what god is, holy spirit (hagios pnuema) in greek isa current of air in the strongs concordance. When you say YHWH it sounds like a current of air which is the definition of spirit, it's a holy current if air. The muslems say Allah is the arabic pronounciation of Eloa and if it is Allah is a name for god. Just because they think mohammed is a prophet and reinterpret the old testament doesn't mean they're totally stupid. In fact we have more in common then either one of us is willing to admit.
Eloh is the root word for elokim and is a name of god, if the arabic pronounciation is allah that's a name for god regardless of the paganization that may be associated with it. Same goes for YHWH,I read that was a phase of the moon, it was also a vulcano god but if that's his name, that's his name. The word god might also be pagan in origrn so whether you call him allah or jehocah or yaweh as long as you know who you're talking about I don't think it makes a lot of difference.

markie
Wow....someone agrees with me....

like the pentacostal churches. Since wisdom is a female spirit I figured you probably knew something. wink I have a quick verse program on my other comp where I can look up verses and check the cocordances and I've been stuying and there is a lot of stuff that I don't find words for. Anyway elohim is plural, trinitarians say that cnnotes the trinity but the quran has the sane plurals fur allah and they think it's blasphemy to associate anything with or worship any god but allah. In the semitic languages, and arabic is a semitic language although most people associate semetic with being jewish the plurals that are used for god connote majesty. The quran says we created man, we did somthing and it's dangerous to associate anything with allah or speak against mohammed in muslim countries, they will either kill you or cure you.

finti
wisdom a female spirit???? laughing out loud hysterical

kevdude
some also refer to God the Father as "The Presence".

debbiejo
Since wisdom is a female spirit I figured you probably knew something. wink

I knew there was something special about me. reading I just like to read..

finti
and some refer to god as what f*ucking god

debbiejo
wisdom a female spirit???? laughing out loud hysterical

Hey.....I didn't see that as funny....Stop laughing.

finti
I cant laughing out loud

debbiejo
See that's your problem SHE's PMS'N with you......You better build your temple to Venus or Freya and be a goooood student.

finti
oh Pms, *shruds*

debbiejo
oh Pms, *shruds*

Don't be confused...All the goddesses have it once a month...

finti
we know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

markie
wisdom a female spirit???? laughing out loud hysterical I don't know that thay should be called christians because they mixed christian beliefs with the theology of the day but the gnostics thought jesus had a spiritual sister named sophia which means wisdom. She entered his body when he was baptized and was the exence of his being.I think there were different sects of gnosticism but according to the nag hammond library I guess they believed that jesus was a woman. She just looked like a man.

finti
yeah it must have been the beard........................maybe all the images of the crucified jesus has to be changed into a person hanging there with a wonder bra

debbiejo
"Cross My Heart"...The end of the church

finti
I wouldnt shed a tear

markie
It doesn't matter because God knows you're talking to him, So you have a problem with the french saying Dios or people saying God in their own laanhuage? The Massons may refer to god as GAOTU which stands for the grand archetec of the universe which is what he is. It doesn't matter as long as the parties involved in rhe conversation know what you're talking about.

finti
can leave out the christians then big grin wink

cking
you sure can!

finti
yeah never expected them to look beyond their own nose

markie
Maybe it's different in Catholic churches, but the protestant church and televangelists have made it clear that if it's not done in Jesus name, then it is from Satan...Just like the weeping Mary statues are from satan...Just like aliens are from satan (evil angels)...All unexplained or psychics are from satan....Hasn't anyone ever heard these things???

Or am I just the lucky one. Every time we can't explain something we blame it on satan, but when we figure it out it's not from satan anymore.

cking
it is both Satan and humans fault.

finti
must be gods fault after all he created it all

cking
nope, it is our fault.

finti
according to the bible it was god who gave man the will to sin

cking
a choice to sin or not.

finti
still as long as god gave them that choice god is responsible

cking
no, man is responsible

markie
Originally posted by kevdude
some also refer to God the Father as "The Presence". In star wars they used to say the force ne with you, I thought they were saying god bless you.

cking
nope

finti
its like if I gave my kid a gun and said now you can either shoot the neighbour or you can let it be. If my kid blast the neighbour aint I very much responsible for that to happen

cking
star wars has alot of Buddhist stuff to it because George Lucas said he was a Buddhist and so is Spielberg and put many Buddhist things in those movies where people don't know about.

cking
that is different, God doesn't force people and he never does wrong.

finti
I didnt force my kid either all I did was give my kid a choice

cking
so he is responsible, do you think so? He has a choice.

finti
without the choice do you think man would have sinned

cking
no

finti
so if god had not given the choice man wouldnt have sinned. Since , according to your faith, god gave man that choice god has to take part of the responsibility for it being so

cking
nope, we choose to do bad instead of good. when god created man he created man in his image. the animals don't have a choice and so that is why man is his crown creation. man was given a choice to serve god and didn't do it.

finti
then god has to take some of the blame for that since ther was a choice given

markie
Originally posted by cking
no, man is responsible I think thar's what gid meabs when he sayd I created giid and evil. Man becamevilm byt gij creared him,

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>