Jarhead

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solo
http://imdb.com/title/tt0418763/

The movie cannot get any better with an A-List cast like this, Jake Gyllenhaal, Jamie Foxx, AND Pete Sarsgaard.

I smell an oscar.

Cinemaddiction
Eh..

After "Stealth" bombs, Foxx's stock will go down, Jake Gyllenhaal hasn't had a hit since "Donnie Darko", and throwing him in a lead role seems risky. Sarsgaard, whom I love, I don't know. If he didn't win an Oscar for "Shattered Glass" or "Garden State", I dunno that he ever will.

Guess we'll see, but IMO, the cast isn't that impressive. Two big name indie actors in a bio-pic.

jaden101
i like sam mendes... american beauty and road to perdition were both top films

i just wonder how huis directional style will translate into the enviroment of this film...

mendes seems to use colour and shade to great effect in his films... a desert has very little of either

Solo
The trailer is out, and it's looking good.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/jarhead.html

Darth Nauj
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Eh..

After "Stealth" bombs, Foxx's stock will go down, Jake Gyllenhaal hasn't had a hit since "Donnie Darko", and throwing him in a lead role seems risky. Sarsgaard, whom I love, I don't know. If he didn't win an Oscar for "Shattered Glass" or "Garden State", I dunno that he ever will.

Guess we'll see, but IMO, the cast isn't that impressive. Two big name indie actors in a bio-pic.
well Jake did have a hit in the day after tomorrow and your just jealous stick out tongue but I'm still gonna watch it cause jake comes out droolio

Solo
Well, it wasn't necessarily a hit with the critics....Although, I liked it.

Darth Nauj
Originally posted by Solo
Well, it wasn't necessarily a hit with the critics....Although, I liked it.
eh, who gives a shit about the critics what counts is the audience and if it touches them

ariwin
Eh could be okay. I had a hard time judging the film's tone though. Was it serious?? was it a comedy??

MildPossession
I am looking forwards to Jarhead, looks interesting.

Solo
Originally posted by ariwin
Eh could be okay. I had a hard time judging the film's tone though. Was it serious?? was it a comedy??

Serious.

forumcrew
Chris Cooper is also in this movie, and I think it looks really good. And you cant compare this to stealth. Stealth looked horrible just from the plot summary. I will be there november 4th when this hits.

Sorgo
Eh..

Jake is a great actor, especially when it comes to a Reality relation.

Sarsgaard is a fair actor and he fits the role of a Strict Commander after what i saw from American Beauty.

And the first reality movie about the Hell in Iraq? I believe a smell an Oscar as well.

MC Mike
Originally posted by Sorgo

And the first reality movie about the Hell in Iraq? I believe a smell an Oscar as well.

From IMDB

...pre-Desert Storm experiences in Saudi Arabia and about his experiences fighting in Kuwait.

Myth
Looks great. I usually don't like war/military movies but this looks like it will be pretty interesting. It looks like it is filmed kind of similar to Three Kings (film wise, not just the fact of where they are).

Sorgo
Originally posted by MC Mike

Thanks for the correction.

The hell in Saudi.

Well, the smell didn't go away.

Mandorallen
I think This movie looks great, Jamie Foxx is one of my faves.

But good 'ol Donnie darko will do me good.

Sorgo
Originally posted by MC Mike

Sorry MC Mike, but....

Actor "Chris Cooper" plays Lieutenant Colonel Kazinski on the upcoming War Movie "Jarhead". Here is a direct quote from him on the trailer:

Sadam Hussein has one Million Iraqi Soldiers.

To be more specific, the Movie is in the times of the Gulf War. Now where was the gulf War fought again?

So I say again, Hell of Iraq.

forumcrew
yea mc mike was talking about what the movie was based on. Its based off a book wrote by a former marine about his "pre-Desert Storm experiences in Saudi Arabia and about his experiences fighting in Kuwait." But like sorgo said the film is different then that, its just based off it.

Murray
I'm all over this movie, I love military flicks: Black Hawk Down, Tears of the Sun, The Thin Red Line.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Sorgo
Jake is a great actor, especially when it comes to a Reality relation.

Sarsgaard is a fair actor and he fits the role of a Strict Commander after what i saw from American Beauty.

What are you basing that on; reality movies? He has yet to be in one, unless we're talking about "October Sky", because the rest of his repitoire is iffy. But, from the trailers, he looks really impressive.

That said, Sarsgaard is not just "fair", he's brilliant. He's been swimming in indie picture awards for years. Shattered Glass, Garden State, Boys Don't Cry, Kinsey. Happy Dance

BackFire
I'm very very excited for this movie. Being a huge fan of American Beauty I can't wait to see what Sam Mendes has in store for us with this one.

After this movie, and the upcomming Zodiac, I think Jake will have 3 big hits to his name.

shugie99
Sorry to be so lazy, but what's the official release date on it? They couldn't have picked a better song than Jesus Walks for the trailer... it's perfect.

forumcrew
the release is November 4th (this friday) I saw it tonight on at an advanced screening and I loved it. Ill wait for others to have a chance to see it before getting into any real details. But id highly recommend it.

Impediment
Originally posted by Prince Nauj
well Jake did have a hit in the day after tomorrow

Please tell me you're not serious. That was a hit??!

forumcrew
Originally posted by Impediment

im with you there.. the only hit i think of jake being in is donnie darko

Solo
I'll be seeing this tomorrow, hopefully, I won't be disappointed.

Solo
I must admit, that was pretty damn good.

WickedTexasMomA
Movie bombed big time if you ask me.I was expecting a better plot but hey thats me.It was alright but it will never be The Thin Red Line or a NORTH AND SOUTH .Now those where good war movies.

Come'on even Glory was a better movie

BackFire
I thought it was excellent.

It was visually stimulating and beautiful and offered a new perspective on war and military service in particular. It exposes how meaningly and trivial most of the time spent in the military is to so many people. On top of this it has some outstanding scenes of poetic irony.

Also I'd hesitate to call this a war film. War films are generally centered around war and it's basic premis - fighting. This film is centered on the personal wars and confusion of the soldiers in a war that, to them, doesn't exist outside of propoganda and rhetoric. There is not one "war" scene in the whole movie.

The acting was also superb, Sarsgaard stole the show and I think is going to be really big in the near future, he's very talented.

I think if you go into this movie with the correct expections, you won't be disapointed.

Prince Nauj
Originally posted by Impediment
Originally posted by forumcrew
im with you there.. the only hit i think of jake being in is donnie darko
RAWR

Murray
Fantastic. Sam Mendes always does a good job. Look at American Beauty. I loved how it wasn't just battles, it was awesome.

forumcrew
Originally posted by WickedTexasMomA
Movie bombed big time if you ask me.I was expecting a better plot

did you know anything about the movie before you saw it? Do you know anything about history and about desert storm? Im gonna go out on a limb and guess you dont have a clue.

Solo
I really loved it, excellent portrayal of the Gulf War. Can't wait for Mendes's next film.

mattador
Went to see this last night. Pretty good. Gylenhamahowzits and "Stealthy Ray" both did a pretty good job with this one. Loved the comedy bits. All and all a good movie big grin

DanZeke25
I'm seeing it tonight! rock

mattador
You will like it yes

Myth
I thought the movie was great. I loved when Fox yells at the dead guy's body for being a dumbass.

MC Mike
Excellent movie.

Plots flows smoothly, conflicts deepen and fluctuate with bits of intense images or vivid shots inter-woven.

Acting was simply superb... Jake did an incredible job, as did Sarsgaard.

All in all a powerful experience.

8/10

Murray
Peter Sargaard stole the show for me.

Beautiful film.

Tptmanno1
Good movie. I really liked it. Review coming soon (hopefully)

Lana
I plan on seeing it soon smile

silver_tears
I'm not one for war flicks, never been into them, but I like this cast, and might pop by to see it, but on half price night stick out tongue

Solo
It's not violent at all if that's what you're worrying about.

Tptmanno1
yea.. go see it..

forumcrew
Originally posted by silver_tears
I'm not one for war flicks, never been into them, but I like this cast, and might pop by to see it, but on half price night stick out tongue

think of this as more of a story of the life of a marine not a war flick

Mandorallen
Originally posted by forumcrew
think of this as more of a story of the life of a marine not a war flick

well of course it's a war flick, just no real battles take place in the film.

supertruper
I think i'll be seeing this movie this weekend. Despite the mixed reviews it is getting, the cast is what is drawing me in...

lord krondor
yeah, ignore the reviews. this is a very well made movie. the cinematography is excellent. you will enjoy watching this story.

forumcrew
Originally posted by supertruper
I think i'll be seeing this movie this weekend. Despite the mixed reviews it is getting, the cast is what is drawing me in...

mixed reviews are just from people that have no understanding of history and thought the gulf war was Viet Nam. So these people went into this movie looking for big time battles and lots of explosions and blood shed.

Murray
I prefer the movie the way it was done instead of having actual battles take place. I thought it was beautiful.

gshkris7272
that movie looks so sick...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Pretty good movie. A little too long, but I liked the way it was able to mix humor with horror. Donnie Darko was good, so too was Caleb from American Gothic, but President Palmer could have been used a little more. Also, it had some very pertinent observations that can be applied to the current situation in that 'shit hole'...

Cinemaddiction
Caught it tonight on DVD and was pretty disappointed. I understand that it was adapted from a book, which was written from one persons perspective, but even in that case, it was fairly bland. It opened like "Full Metal Jacket" which had me excited, but dwindled into a focus of infidelity, which I stuggled to find any relevance or importance in. After that, there were a few standout scenes, namely by Jake Gyllenhaal, perhaps a few singular shots of gorgeous cinematography, but over all, it bored me.

SnakeEyes
I thought it was great. I had no idea what to expect and I didn't want to make any assumptions about what it was gonna be like before I saw it. Overall, I was impressed. Every actor in the film did and excellent job.

Myth
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I liked the way it was able to mix humor with horror..

Horror? You must scare easily because I didn't sense any horror in that film.

Nevermind
Originally posted by BackFire
I thought it was excellent.

It was visually stimulating and beautiful and offered a new perspective on war and military service in particular. It exposes how meaningly and trivial most of the time spent in the military is to so many people. On top of this it has some outstanding scenes of poetic irony.

Also I'd hesitate to call this a war film. War films are generally centered around war and it's basic premis - fighting. This film is centered on the personal wars and confusion of the soldiers in a war that, to them, doesn't exist outside of propoganda and rhetoric. There is not one "war" scene in the whole movie.

The acting was also superb, Sarsgaard stole the show and I think is going to be really big in the near future, he's very talented.

I think if you go into this movie with the correct expections, you won't be disapointed.

Very well said. I just about agree 100% on that. I thought it was an excellent movie. I'm not at all really a war movie fan, but this was great. Just from the visuals I could tell it was a Mende's film.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Myth
Horror? You must scare easily because I didn't sense any horror in that film.

Oh, dear.

You didn't find the burnt freeway scene abhorrent, or do you just not know the meaning of the word 'horror'?

forumcrew
no you just dont understand film genres. This is in no way horror

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oh, look! Another one!

First, read my post. I never applied 'horror' as a generic term. Then, try looking up the definition of the word 'horror' in a dictionary. My post was at the top of the page, so there was no need for you to be ignorant.

GCG
Caught it tonight on DVD and was pretty disappointed. I understand that it was adapted from a book, which was written from one persons perspective, but even in that case, it was fairly bland. It opened like "Full Metal Jacket" which had me excited, but dwindled into a focus of infidelity, which I stuggled to find any relevance or importance in. After that, there were a few standout scenes, namely by Jake Gyllenhaal, perhaps a few singular shots of gorgeous cinematography, but over all, it bored me.

I got that same FMJ feeling in the beginning. Funny thing about this movie was that they went to war, all riled up and prepared for Chemical Weapons, Sniping and Combat and they didnt even fire a bullet.

Funny thing is that when they were at training camp, Jamie Foxx's character yells at the guy that just got killed by a bullet through the head. They prepared for that type of assault and it never materialised, and only got shot at by their own planes in Kuwait or Iraq. They all went for war and could not fire a single bullet while their partners at home were getting into realtionships.

Phat J
i was sort of disapointed with it, it wasnt bad but it wasnt what i thought it'd be. i wasnt expecting it to be a big war movie either with explosions and gory scenes, i just thought it would be better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.