The Jedi empowering the Senate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cybervader
Remember what windu said to palpatine before attempting to arrest him?

MACE WINDU: In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under arrest, Chancellor.

Erm..i mean why in the name of the galactic senate? He is not in any way affliliated to the senate,is he not? Shouldn't he be saying:

1) "In the name of the Galactic Republic" or
2) "In the name of the Jedi Council and the Force" or
3) "In the name of the Republic and Democracy" ?

Is this what was meant by the jedi getting 'too political'?That mace windu saw fit to take things in his own hands and moving to arrest the chancellor in the name of the senate WITHOUT even the senate knowing it? And even when he intends to kill palpatine,in what way did he imagine he would be able to explain his move to the senate,whom he had used their names to remove its chancellor at the first place?

Any thoughts?

Darth_Duffy
I'm not sure they'd care that he'd used their names to arrest and kill him once he explained that he was.....erm.......A SITH LORD!

idiot_1185
As far as i know, like they said earlier in the movie, the chancellor was supposed to return emergency powers to the SENATE. So Mace was saying that basically "in the name of the galactic senae" (i am going to arrest you and you are going to give back your power.)

Darth_Rankkor
Jedis are like cops. Like the "In the name of the law, you're under arrest" stuff

Cybervader
hmm..so jedi are the police..guardians of peace..but then they turned to become army generals as the led the war..which is military.Erm well the real question is, what exactly is the function of the Jedi to the Republic? how much say does the jedi council has,apart from the senate governing body?

I do remember the jedi council has the power to ask padme to return to naboo in AoTC,even the chancellor refer to it as an '"executive order".

So what is really the position and status of the Jedi and the Jedi Council, anyone?

Darth Halo
I don't they should of just brought out their lightsabers so quickly they didn't even give paply the chance to resist arrest. My oh my what abuse of power, quickly get Rodney King's camera man over here and start rolling to show how these jedi pigs are abusing their power.

((The_Anomaly))
actually no, the Jedi serve the Galactic senate. The supreme chancellor usually has power over the Jedi, to a degree, i.e. sending them on missions. look at eps I. Chancellor Valrom tells the Jedi to go to solve the trade dispute, which is technically a Senate and political affair. The chancellor can go the the Jedi council and say "i need Jedi to solve this dispute" and then the council decides who it should send to do this job. they are not renegades that happen to just want to serve the Senate because they feel like it, thats what they do.

the Jedi are a part of the Republic and are, in a way, a part of the Senate.

Cybervader
hmm..very interesting..suddenly i have a thought..let's say there were no sith involved but the senate was getting corrupt alright..so does this mean that the jedi have every right to take over the veins of the republic's leadership? But then again this was exactly the scenario sidious was painting to anakin,to make him distrust the jedi.

DeVi| D0do
The Jedi Knights were the gaurdians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire.

um hum.

Cybervader
MACE WINDU: I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi. The dark side of the Force surrounds the Chancellor.

Kl-ADI-MUNDI: If he does not give up his emergency powers after the destruction of Grievous, then he should be removed from
office.

MACE WiNDU: That could be a dangerous move ... the Jedi Council would have to take control of the Senate in order to secure a peaceful transition . . .

Kl-ADI-MUNDI: . . . and replace the Congress with Senators who are not filled with greed and corruption.

YODA: To a dark place this line of thought will carry us. Hmmmmm. . . . great care we must take.

So i guess the jedi were really attempting to take control of the senate after all,which of course seemed unconstitutional.But it was essential to do so.Hmm the plan backfired and the jedi were left as though they staged a rebellion.I conclude they were acting in the best interests of the Republic,not their own..

Sadako of Girth
I concurr with the Anomaly..

Cybervader
I mean..in ep 3 the jedi were being misunderstood..ppl doubted their intentions..Upon watching ep 3 again i feel the movie actually gives us the feel that they were doing the right think,even if it means taking control of the senate,a corrupt one for that matter.

But it is even sadder when SW fans themselves begin to say the jedi getting too political and all..For what's worth,they were doing it for a good cause.

ANAKIN: "The Jedi are selfless..they think only about others"

Cybervader
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
actually no, the Jedi serve the Galactic senate. The supreme chancellor usually has power over the Jedi, to a degree, i.e. sending them on missions. look at eps I. Chancellor Valrom tells the Jedi to go to solve the trade dispute, which is technically a Senate and political affair. The chancellor can go the the Jedi council and say "i need Jedi to solve this dispute" and then the council decides who it should send to do this job. they are not renegades that happen to just want to serve the Senate because they feel like it, thats what they do.

the Jedi are a part of the Republic and are, in a way, a part of the Senate.

Hey i suddenly remember this in AoTC!

OBI-WAN: "and don't forget she's (padme) a politician. They're not to be trusted........It's been my experience that Senators are only focused on pleasing those who fund their campaigns... and they are more than willing to forget the niceties of democracy to get those funds."

ANAKIN: "...and besides, you're generalizing. The Chancellor doesn't appear to be corrupt."

OBI-WAN: "Palpatine's a politician!"

So if the jedi are serving the senate,why are they not to be trusted? How can you serve a bunch of people whom you cannot trust?! What the hell?! And notice obi-wan's emphasis on the 'so and so is a politician' part..

And another thing to note about Count Doooku:

KI-ADI-MUNDI: "He is a political idealist, not a murderer."

So he quit jedi because he became a political idealist? If you're gettin too political you cannot be a jedi? confused

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Cybervader
I mean..in ep 3 the jedi were being misunderstood..ppl doubted their intentions..Upon watching ep 3 again i feel the movie actually gives us the feel that they were doing the right think,even if it means taking control of the senate,a corrupt one for that matter.

But it is even sadder when SW fans themselves begin to say the jedi getting too political and all..For what's worth,they were doing it for a good cause.

ANAKIN: "The Jedi are selfless..they think only about others"

A sudden and rather snobbish attitude towards the Jedi from fans has indeed been an infectious problem lately. "Oh, they were corrupt, or toorestrictive, or political..."

Like hell they were- they were out and out good guys.

DenKi
The jedi should of moved on like QuiGon he didnt want to get Involved in all this Politics rubbish

((The_Anomaly))
actually this point proves that the Jedi are directly involved with the senate. Dooku knew of the corruption in the senate and chose not to continue to serve that corruption as a jedi master.

Cybervader
oh..so dooku refuse to serve a corrupt senate..yah that makes sense..at least he became a political idealist..not like the other jedis who continue to serve but distrust politicians.But then again dooku became a Sith lord..while the other jedis hold on firmly to the jedi order.

ANAKIN:"Sometimes, I wonder what's happening to the Jedi Order .. I think this war is destroying the principles of the Republic."
PADME:"Have you ever considered that we may be on the wrong side?"
ANAKIN: (suspicious) "What do you mean?"
PADME: "What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"
ANAKIN: "I don't believe that. And you're sounding like a Separatist!"

Maybe the foundations of all the institutions were already shaken..If not why would a credible individual like padme doubt it?
sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.