Have they ever stated the heat at which a light saber burns?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
Sorry if it's been done before guys.Just wondering if a light saber emmits heat and if it does,have they ever given the temperature?

Darth Travizzle
What the f**k?

DarthMandalore
hot, but not like, melt your skin hot. hot enough if it was close to you long enough you'd get a nasty scar.

darth-yoda
so its hot enought to melt skin but it can cut through about 7 inch of steel door

Bardock42
I think what he meant is that the bladfe of course is very very hot..but it doesn't emit a lot of heat outside of the blade...now I can't really say if thats true, but it seems plausible.

darth-yoda
ohh ok got it now

Boris
I thought it was said that light sabers do not emit heat.. at all...

Fishy
They probably do, after cutting of somebody his arm it doesn't even bleed something has to block those veins fast

TRSundown
From what I have read... the blade itself is hot if something actually makes contact with it... melting doors, cotterizing wounds and stuff like that... but if the blade is hot enough to melt through blast doors then the Jedi would burn their hands off from holding it so close to the blade... thats simple thermal dynamics... So the blade cant emit heat... but retains the heat to be released only on contact...

Just my educated guess...

TraptUnderIce
It does char flesh that comes along the blade. Do normal lasers in reality emit heat?

mr.smiley
I don't think so.Or at least not all of them.

TRSundown
Originally posted by TraptUnderIce
It does char flesh that comes along the blade. Do normal lasers in reality emit heat?

Only if it touches the blade... otherwise all lightsaber users would have burn hands... watch the movies, most lightsaber users hold the hilt fairly close to the blade...

DarthMandalore
but then again this could be another dimension for all we know, and the laws of science we have here might not have the same affect there.

TRSundown
True... flesh could melt at 1000 degrees and blast doors could melt at only 200 degrees... humm...

DarthMandalore
but then again, we've (scientists) have said "There's no possible way to make a lightsaber that wouldn't burn you."
But they also said: "There is no way to go into Outer Sace." so it could just be that we simply don't understand the technology of the lightsaber as good as we thinkwe do.

Lord Darkstar
in the Shadows of the Empire, after Luke builds his lightsaber, he takes it out and turns it on. When he does this, he hold his hand right near the blade and he feels no heat. Then he says something along the lines of the lightsaber being built correctly because it emits no heat. So it must only give off heat when it touches an object. Hope this clears that up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.