Who is the most suitable actor for a historical movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bone_collector
About these historical movies.......
Disscusing about all this movies wich Holywood makes them as result of a lack of ideas I've realized that it became a big challenge for an actor to take the role of a great man, true heroes of our history.
If they are considered such great actors, why is so hard for them to
perform such roles, they should better leave them for someone else.
I know that Gladiator was a very inspiring for all the movies who were to come due to his succes, but that's too much, not because there are to many movies but because there are too many BAD movies.

Who do you thing would be the most fitted actor for this kind of role,
for example: say who was better in the role of Alexander ( cause Collin Farrel played very bad )

Bardock42
I can tell you who is not....MEL GIBSON

bone_collector
Compared with these, the " young talents" he was preety good
Perhaps the best so far ! ! !

cal31
Tom Hanks, no question, although I can't see him playing a Gladiator type of role.

el barto_1
eric bana made a very good role... atleast thats my epinion

bakerboy
Its impossible to say that. It depends on what role and what movie and what time.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by cal31
Tom Hanks, no question, although I can't see him playing a Gladiator type of role.

What can you see him playing, other than some crusty war general?

Originally posted by bakerboy
Its impossible to say that. It depends on what role and what movie and what time.

Actually, it's quite easy. You're questioning the question with what you said. We're looking for examples, just think about it.

i.e. Christopher Lee's done PLENTY of period pieces. You could throw Ian Holm in the role of Julius Caesar, Johnny Depp could pull off Sherlock Holmes, etc.

bone_collector
Can you imagine Ben Affleck in the role of Alexander ? laughing

Cinemaddiction
..only if Matt Damon took Jared Leto's role.

bakerboy
Lets see, cinema adicction.I said that it depends on what movie and what actor and what character etc. And we cant post this or that actor could pull that or this character or will suck as this or that character because it depends of the movie, the story, the director, etc. Maybe a good actor playing a good character could suck because the movie is garbage and the opposite.

Cinemaddiction
You're not making any sense. The only question here is what actor would be suitable for a period piece role. That's it. The quality, director, none of that, is in question.

faradayslaw
Anthony Hopkins

Jackie Malfoy
It is really not who the suitable actor is for such a movie but which actor can acted and look like someone from history.JM

bone_collector
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
It is really not who the suitable actor is for such a movie but which actor can acted and look like someone from history.JM

Well, actually ,that's acting. smile
But who do you think is up for it ???

Lord_Andres
I agree, say Chris Rock would not be able to play Napoleon, oh and btw I dont think its of lack of idea that hollywood makes a historical movie, almust all historical epics are good

dark1365
Liam Neeson.

bone_collector
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
I agree, say Chris Rock would not be able to play Napoleon, oh and btw I dont think its of lack of idea that hollywood makes a historical movie, almust all historical epics are good

I've said it's a lack of ideas because they are starting to make movies already made many years ago but with different titles.
For example let's take the subject King Arthur , many movies about it, so many theories about him, and so many titles
The Mists of Avalon(2001),King Arthur(2001), A Knight in Camelot(2001), Return To Camelot(2001) , the Young Warlord (1975), Arthur the King (1985), "King Arthur and the Knights of Justice" (1992)
"The Tales of the Knights of the Round Table: King Arthur" (1979)
Do you wan't more.....The last King Arthur was the best because it was simple and closer to the truth.
Ain't this a lack of ideas ? Yas, they aren't all bad, but when you make so many movies with historical story some have to end bad.

bone_collector
Originally posted by dark1365
Liam Neeson.

Liam Neeson is better in second roles, his is the type of the quite and smart guy, like in the role of Jean Valjean. Remember Rob Roy, his a very good actor ( one of my favorites) but he doesn't fit to a role of a great leader, he's more of the wiser guy.

IceWithin
Viggo Mortenses, or however the hell u spell his name yes

Fire
Viggo indeed, but he can't speech

I thought Mel wasn't that bad

Jeremy Irons would play a fine general.
So would christopher Lee.
I agree that Liam Neeson is better as the wise thoughtful second lead guy.
Personally I liked Russell Crow in Gladiator.

I do fear however that there are no good actors left to play historical leaders. Mainly because they all lack the voice to deliver a good speech.

Which all of the above can do IMO

BackFire
Iam Holme.

kanis
alien I would say alan rickman or sean connery, but definately alan rickman.

bakerboy
You are the one who is posting nonsese, cinemaadicction. Lets see, basically, any talented actor could play a part in a historical movie, but it depends on which actor , which part and which movie we are talking about. Its a too generic question to anwser serioulsy.

Lord_Andres
Ya the arthur plot has been done many times, my personal fav is Excalibur that was made in the 80's, anyway most of the new once like Troy, Alexander(only been done once that I know of), and Gladiator, Braveheart, kingdom Of Heaven aint movies that the plot has been overdone, infact I cajnt recall any other movies about William wallace, or one about Saladin and the fight around Jerusalem, or the only one that I've seen with Emporer Commodeus is the Fall Of the Roman empire, a few about Troy but mostly all sucked, the new one is by far the best, andAlexander as I said above has only been done once, if not once then I'm pretty sure the other once sucked

Fire
I think there is going to be atleast one about Saladin and the fight for jerusalem.

the new movie about troy totally sucked man. and Gladiator altho a good movie is absolutely historical BS

Bardock42
I enjoyed troy...not historical though...at all...and why should it its mYthology anyways....not a big fan of Gladiator though

Fire
Well they could have stayed true to the mythology, but even then I think the movie would have sucked ass.

Gladiator's opening sequence is very good

Bardock42
Well I don't mind that they changed something....since it is in no way Historically accurate anyways...

And I like Odysseus: "War is young men dying and old men talking" great.....

Lord Melkor
Maybe there shouldn`t be well-established actors in such films....

Lord_Andres
well as somebody said before, acturly almust all actors could play a historical figure, maybe not some hotshot like William Wallace, but still some historical person, like some wise mathematichian or some dude that inveted stuff or maybe used 100% of his time writing poetry, so in a way all could play historical figures

bone_collector
Why if they were making a movie about Napoleone and the wars he waged.
Who would be better in his role, who would show better what a man Napoleone was ? ( I've posted this question because some said that depends on the time and subject of the action in these movies)

Lord_Andres
Napoleon, well there already is a movie about him, its acturly a fantastic mini series, I saw infact just the other day, I bought the DVD, it runs for 6 hours, and was made in 2002, and it ranks as the most expansive European movie ever, its very good I suggest you watch it, John Malchowich plays in it, along with that guy Garrad Depature, or something like that, but the guy that plays Napoleon is called Christian Clavier, anyway look here, I'd give this movie a 8.7 stars out of 10, its very good. though one thing would have been awesome it's if the man himself Stanley Kubrick would have made this movie, i got the scrip for it somewere on my pc, havint read it though, I plan to very soon, I also still need to see the documentry about Stanley Kubrick I think they disscuss somes tuff about why it was never mande or soemthing, would have been awesome.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253839/

bone_collector
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
Napoleon, well there already is a movie about him, its acturly a fantastic mini series, I saw infact just the other day, I bought the DVD
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253839/

And if they were making a Napoleone movie today ( made by Hoolywood) which actor would you choose ???

general-pain
Jude Law was really great in Enemy at the Gates.

Murray
Russel Crowe, hands down.
Orlando Bloom, however does nothing but period costume pieces, and that man does have acting potential.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.