Random Thoughts on Force Powers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
After reading some of the New Jedi Order--damn the Vong smile--and watching the movies, I've decided to compile a list of the Force powers used and pose a few questions.

(Note: I did not take into account any information about the Witches of Dathomir or the Nightsisters. Also, I really hate to use the names given to the Force powers, but it makes my job easier.)

1. Telekinesis.
2. Empathy (Corran Horn).
3. Energy manipulation ("Force lightning", energy web that the fat chick uses on that Vong).
4. "Force jump".
5. "Force run".
6. "Force choke." (OK, this probably falls under telekinesis, though I'm counting it as different.)
7. Absorption (Yoda vs. Darth Tyranus).
8. Protection? (Corran Horn when freeing the two researchers from the Embrace of Pain.)
9. Ability to fall into healing/protective trances.
10. Mental linking (Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin in the fighter at Lando's Folly.)
11. Manipulation (Obi-Wan 'These aren't the droids you're looking for'.)
12. Ballistakinetics--one of my favorite powers. (Use of objects that are relatively light--coins, small rocks, etc.--and shooting them forward as a projectile. Luke destroying the Vong's armor with rocks when he goes to rescue Jacen when Jacen decides to save the slaves, per his vision. Of course, this is similar to TK, but it's not the same.)
13. Visions/precognition.
14. Perception of others and their emotions.
15. Slowing/speeding of molecules (haven't seen this in the New Jedi Order, but have read about it elsewhere, such as creating a sheet of ice over a surface of water or melting said ice).

Any others you can add?

Now, here are my questions:

1. If the Jedi have telekinesis--especially those who are particularly good with it, such as Ganner--why can't they fly? I assume it is like lifting oneself, but still...

2. We always see 'Force lightning', but why can't the Jedi manipulate other forms of energy? What about pyrokinesis?

Huh. I guess those were my only two questions.

Darth_Otaku
jep...can i ask a question bout' your sig. who's Nathan?

FeceMan
Originally posted by Darth_Otaku
jep...can i ask a question bout' your sig. who's Nathan?
CosmicBeings...just check in the GDF and search for his topics started.

Hehe, Darth Otaku...

...and...

TRSundown
Originally posted by FeceMan
After reading some of the New Jedi Order--damn the Vong smile--and watching the movies, I've decided to compile a list of the Force powers used and pose a few questions.

(Note: I did not take into account any information about the Witches of Dathomir or the Nightsisters. Also, I really hate to use the names given to the Force powers, but it makes my job easier.)

1. Telekinesis.
3. Energy manipulation ("Force lightning", energy web that the fat chick uses on that Vong).
4. "Force jump".
5. "Force run".
6. "Force choke." (OK, this probably falls under telekinesis, though I'm counting it as different.)
8. Protection? (Corran Horn when freeing the two researchers from the Embrace of Pain.)
12. Ballistakinetics--one of my favorite powers. (Use of objects that are relatively light--coins, small rocks, etc.--and shooting them forward as a projectile. Luke destroying the Vong's armor with rocks when he goes to rescue Jacen when Jacen decides to save the slaves, per his vision. Of course, this is similar to TK, but it's not the same.)
15. Slowing/speeding of molecules (haven't seen this in the New Jedi Order, but have read about it elsewhere, such as creating a sheet of ice over a surface of water or melting said ice).

Any others you can add?

1. If the Jedi have telekinesis--especially those who are particularly good with it, such as Ganner--why can't they fly? I assume it is like lifting oneself, but still...

2. We always see 'Force lightning', but why can't the Jedi manipulate other forms of energy? What about pyrokinesis?

I think your number 10 is on the same level as battle meditation... I would probably consider those the same.

#1... Masters and those of great skill probably could... but it would take such concentration that it would be very taxing and probably not an effective form of transportation...

#2... Dude... that would be an awesome thing to throw into the Jedi powers. People argue that fire is a living thing... It breaths, it eats... so I would think that it could be manipulated by the Force... Even if people didnt say it was living, I think it would still be able to be manipulated.

TraptUnderIce
A Jedi using the ability to float himself would probably drain them of energy. Ganner mentions it in Onslaught and Corran says something along the lines of telling him it'll weaken him before he goes into fight the Vong and won't be worth it.

What do you mean by #8 and for #12 I thought Luke just stabbed the hell out of those vong and threw slates at the creeper?

FeceMan
Originally posted by TraptUnderIce
A Jedi using the ability to float himself would probably drain them of energy. Ganner mentions it in Onslaught and Corran says something along the lines of telling him it'll weaken him before he goes into fight the Vong and won't be worth it.

What do you mean by #8 and for #12 I thought Luke just stabbed the hell out of those vong and threw slates at the creeper?
Number eight--to free the researchers from the embrace of pain, Corran had to project pain into their minds to make them believe they were in pain so the shackles would loosen. (Remember, the EoP measures pain and keeps the captive in a set amount.) He has Ganner hold his lightsaber out and brings his arm up to it, charring his flesh and causing him a lot of pain. However, he is able to absorb some of the energy, preventing his body from taking more damage.

Number twelve--nope, he uses the rocks to shatter the Vong's helmet and keeps the rocks rolling ahead of him and THEN smashes the creeper. That little bastard.

Darth Koroni
Does the hunger techinque count as number three? Because you do need to have that there if it isn't.

TraptUnderIce
On number 8 corran felt the pain to have reference as to how much pain he should put the students in.

Swanky-Tuna
My random thoughts are that the only reason the force is so powerful vs other companies is because it duplicates many of the effects of telepathy and telekinesis but it's by a means that don't exist there so they naturally have no defenses.

That and people who support the Star Wars character will refuse to allow force powers to be classified as things like TK or telepathy but insist that force powers will work on their opponent in spite of them not being from the force bearing galaxy, a la Yuuzhan Vong.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Darth Koroni
Does the hunger techinque count as number three? Because you do need to have that there if it isn't.
Huh? Like in KOTOR 2, that psycho guy who is Visas' master--his name eludes me--where the Sith can 'eat' Force sensitives to sustain themselves.
On number 8 corran felt the pain to have reference as to how much pain he should put the students in.
Look, just read the freakin' part of the book again. Corran comes right out and says that his family has another rare Force power, which is the ability to absorb some energy.

TraptUnderIce
Then you should rename it Energy Absorb instead of Protection. Protection is a shitty name.

DarthMandalore
number ten is technically called "a bond"

FeceMan
Then you should rename it Energy Absorb instead of Protection. Protection is a shitty name.
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II FTW.

Does anyone have anything else to add?

Swanky-Tuna
Wait a sec... empathy and "Perception of others and their emotions" are the same thing.

Darth Travizzle

1. Telekinesis.
4. "Force jump".
5. "Force run".
Ok don't get mad at me for correcting you. But it's not manipulation, it's mind affect
Any others you can add?

Lord Darkstar
Exar Kun and Naga Sadow could blow up suns.

Exar could also freeze 1000+ people at a time and make them unable to move.

Exar also drained the life from an entire race, killing them all to prolong his life

Luke can manipulate gravity and black holes

Lord Darkstar
I know more but I forget right now, if you really want to know just play KotOR and KotOR II, that will give you all that you need. What you cannot do is mentioned

Darth Koroni
Huh? Like in KOTOR 2, that psycho guy who is Visas' master--his name eludes me--where the Sith can 'eat' Force sensitives to sustain themselves.

Look, just read the freakin' part of the book again. Corran comes right out and says that his family has another rare Force power, which is the ability to absorb some energy.

Yes, I was refuring to what Nihilus and Kreia do in the game.

Darth_Glentract
Kyp Durron controlled gravity at one point in the same way as Luke.

stasis is another force power

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.