Episode III DVD: Which format will you buy? Widescreen or fullscreen?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
http://img195.echo.cx/img195/6298/bitmap143tf.jpg

Widescreen?

http://img195.echo.cx/img195/5984/panscan8ps.jpg

or Fullscreen?

And why do you prefer the format you do?

Personally, and I think I speak for many when I say that the general preference is widescreen, since you don't chop off any of the movie. The general misconception of widescreen is that you need a 16:9 television to view it, which isn't true. I don't care about he black bars at all, so... why feel jipped when you buy a dvd? Buy the movie, not an edited version of it.

Ast Rofan
I cant stand people who get fullscreen. I dont care how small your tv is, widesceen is the way to watch any movie. I used to work at a videostore, people would always ***** about our movies being widescreen.

The Ones
widescreen

The Ones
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
I cant stand people who get fullscreen. I dont care how small your tv is, widesceen is the way to watch any movie. I used to work at a videostore, people would always ***** about our movies being widescreen.

THERE MENTAL!!

Count_Pipe
Widescreen ... The best way to see a Movie wink

THEJEDIMASTER
widescreen cuz it wont cut any parts

JKozzy
Originally posted by Count_Pipe
Widescreen ... The best way to see a Movie wink The only way wink

Yuxa
fullscreen. widescreen is for movie theatres. and i only own a tv.

JKozzy
I don't think many people own movie theaters blink

THEJEDIMASTER
lolz

stinger78
People who buy fullscreen should be shot. It's because of those jerk offs that studios keep putting out both fullscreen and widescreen versions of movies, and in some cases ONLY the fullscreen version.

So all you fullscreen idiots whot want half of your movie cut off, just buy the widescreen and then put a couple of piecies of cardboard on the sides of your tv screen.Support widescreen so we can watch movies the way they were ment to be watched.

cad
widescreen i think.

JKozzy
Originally posted by stinger78
People who buy fullscreen should be shot. It's because of those jerk offs that studios keep putting out both fullscreen and widescreen versions of movies, and in some cases ONLY the fullscreen version.

So all you fullscreen idiots whot want half of your movie cut off, just buy the widescreen and then put a couple of piecies of cardboard on the sides of your tv screen.Support widescreen so we can watch movies the way they were ment to be watched. Amen. clap

DeVi| D0do
Widescreen all the way! It just doesn't make sense to watch only half a film... confused

Darth Vegas
Widescreen.

No doubt about it.

Darth_Nefarus
with widescreen everything isn't jamemd together and you actually see what the F is going on.
full screen is for old people and trekkies

DeVi| D0do
Lol, yeah... my parents always used to watch fullscreen movies until I forced them to watch widescreen.

matreid
Widescreen is a no-brainer for sure.

Joseph_Kerr
Mr. Anti Fullscreen here. I won't buy a movie in fullscreen, even if it's the only version available (unless that was it's original format ie tv shows/series).

Lana
Widescreen, of course. I can't stand fullscreen, half the damn picture gets chopped off. The movie is filmed in widescreen and should be viewed in widescreen.

metallica_jedi
WIDESCREEN ALL THE WAY!!!

JKozzy
rock

ApolloX
Wide screen no doubt. Who would want to lose 1/3 of the picture?

JKozzy
Originally posted by ApolloX
Wide screen no doubt. Who would want to lose 1/3 of the picture? Yuxa does wink

Originally posted by Yuxa
fullscreen. widescreen is for movie theatres. and i only own a tv.

ApolloX
He wont show his face again. lol

jerlark386
This would'nt even be a problem if there was just one agreed format/aspect ratio.

Widescreen is generally better however. There is more perceived movie because its easier for our eyes to scan picutures horizontaly rather than vertically.

ragesRemorse
This shit pisses me off when they release two seperate movies for widescreen and fullscreen. I dont see why they dont just give you the option of choosing between both on one movie. Many Dvd's have a feature where you can choose from widescreen and fullscreen format before viewing.

ILoveHayden
Widescreen!! deff. i mean it feels like ur in the movies wen u get wide.
Hayden is s0o0o0o0 HOT!!

EHmasterJedi
Wide of course

SnakeEyes
Obviously Widescreen for me. We have a widescreen TV, which makes it even better too. Yet, I encourage others to buy Fullscreen, so there are more Widescreen copies for the rest of us!

Darth_Vader05
The only reason why i bought the DVD's in full screen is because i couldnt wait for them but i am going to sell the full screen's and re buy the DVD's in widescreen soon. Widescreen is great beacause it actually shows you the whole film!!

EHmasterJedi
i remember back when AOTC first came out i got the LAST copy in widescreen that was on the shelves at that time lol

Darth Vegas
Widescreen.

Come on now, people.

DarkYoda
For Star Wars... DEFINITELY widescreen!! eek!

And other good movies loaded with detail... widescreen!

For other movies (especially ones you care very little about) fullscreen will suffice. wink

Though if I ever get me a widescreen TV... big grin

OB1-adobe
Widescreen all the way.

Full screen is for pussies.

The only people who buy full screen, and I am saying this from expierence so don't give me crap, are old people and Mexicans.

Movies like LOTR or Star wars, you have to get them in widescreen, because everything that was ment to be in the frame of the picture was put to be there for a reason.

ickeris2003
I was one of those people who watched fullscreen movies before but then realized it cuts some parts of the movie so widescreen is much better and you enjoy the movie more
ob1-adobe---> hey watch it dude im a mexican and dont appreicate it being insulted like that miffed

darthmaul1
Wide screen the whole way, if find i get dizzy if I watch a full screen version cause everything is too close and they way it pans around sucks
just go here to check it out, some people are actually missing from the shots.
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/index.html

theshakl
WIDESCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i PITY THE FOOL WHO THINKS FULLSCREEN IS BETTER

jerlark386
Wow. I can't beleive this an actual thread/argument. It seems like there would be no contest.

Boris
Full screen all the way!!................................. wink

HAROLD
Can anyone even imagine watching a Star Wars film in anything but widescreen, especially a PT film?

I don't think I want too...

Darth Travizzle
I don't really care. But if I had to choose, fullscreen.

koolruningz
Widescreen by miles. How would you feel if you went to ROTS at the movies and it was in fullscreen?

garrison
remember me devildodo it is me your apprentice

garrison
Is any one here

dflood
no

vader519
You have to go widescreen. It is the future, and you see so much more than full screen.

DenKi
Fullscreen for me, simply becos i dont like there faces widen to make them look fat or blubbery.

Joseph_Kerr
widen? Fullscreen has the ends chopped off and the screen is stretched in order to fit your screen. Fullscreen is stretched, widescreen is the picture you see in the theatre, not some edited picture.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/indexp2.html

The Ones
FULLSCREEN!!!

*everyone gets there guns out and get ready to fire*

er did i say fullscreen? i meant er....widescreen..yes...

WIDESCREEN!!

Red Superfly
Fullscreen gets stretched.

Fullscreen loses picture.

Fullscreen loses some of the direction of the movie (some shots need to be editted to make sense - and are usually hacked to death).

Widescreen all the way.

The logic is quite simple really. Amazing that so many people here lack any.

Bicnarok

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Fullscreen gets stretched.

Fullscreen loses picture.

Fullscreen loses some of the direction of the movie (some shots need to be editted to make sense - and are usually hacked to death).

Widescreen all the way.

The logic is quite simple really. Amazing that so many people here lack any.

Ignorant fools, listen to Superfly's reasoning. stick out tongue

JKozzy
Originally posted by DenKi
Fullscreen for me, simply becos i dont like there faces widen to make them look fat or blubbery. You contradicted yourself. Fullscreen does that.

JKozzy

ImperialPEZ
Widescreen meets both criteria.

If you don't want to lose anything, watch it in widescreen.

If your TV is small, you can zoom x1 with your DVD player, and........
the bicture gets bigger.

This way you have all options open to you when and if you get a bigger TV, or better yet, a widescreen TV.

Ani's Girl
I'm DVD stupid and had no idea that you lose some of the picture in full screen. I guess I will buy widescreen from now on.

When the six DVD set comes out in November, I'll be getting Widescreen then. Unfortunately, I have Episodes I,IV,V, and VI in Full Screen

Joseph_Kerr
Ani's Girl.. you have been seduced to the widescreen. Go.. do what must be done. Show no mercy. big grin

The Ones
you just killed it

sith_darth_jay
WIDESCREEN all the way

I actually have a problem with my DVD player. It streches the picture if the movie is widescreen: the SW DVD's widescreen have the 16:9 aspect ratio, but some "widescreen" movie don't come with that same ratio. these movie looked like full screen, but the my SW copies get streched and they look awful.

luckly for me I have a PS2, so I watch widescreen movies in my PS2

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by sith_darth_jay
WIDESCREEN all the way

I actually have a problem with my DVD player. It streches the picture if the movie is widescreen: the SW DVD's widescreen have the 16:9 aspect ratio, but some "widescreen" movie don't come with that same ratio. these movie looked like full screen, but the my SW copies get streched and they look awful.

luckly for me I have a PS2, so I watch widescreen movies in my PS2

Have you tried setting your DVD player's aspect ratio in the settings?

darthmaul1
Do you have a wide screen tv?
you have to check your DVD players aspect ratio
if you turn on the 16:9 on a regular tv it will get streched verticaly.

sith_darth_jay
nop, I don't have a Widescreen TV.

I've tried with the settings,but haven't find an option to change the aspect ratio of the screen, maybe it's just me being dumb enough to not find it, or it's just my DVD player
btw: I have a Samsung DVD

chubbychipmunk
widescreen because it's better that way big grin

JKozzy
Still wide bunny

BATISTA
is there any conformation on delteted scenes for the dvd and if so what are they if they have been announced?

JKozzy
Originally posted by sith_darth_jay
nop, I don't have a Widescreen TV.

I've tried with the settings,but haven't find an option to change the aspect ratio of the screen, maybe it's just me being dumb enough to not find it, or it's just my DVD player
btw: I have a Samsung DVD In your settings set it to 4:3 since you have a 4:3 tv, then it won't stretch it out. By saying 16:9 it doesn't add in the extra black and assumes it's being restretched on a widescreen tv.

BATISTA
wide screen all the way btw im new

Darth_Decimator
widescreen totally. 16:9 enhancement ROCKS !!! rock

muserke
Widescreen. no expression

McCusto
Widescreen FTW!

Sadako of Girth
Widey widey wide wide McWide of widerton, Wideville Wideland.

vader519
Widescreen babay. That is the way to go on dvd.

sith_darth_jay
Originally posted by JKozzy
In your settings set it to 4:3 since you have a 4:3 tv, then it won't stretch it out. By saying 16:9 it doesn't add in the extra black and assumes it's being restretched on a widescreen tv.

I feel like such a dork big grin.
I finally set it rite.. thanks for your help guys

... and widescreen of course.. 5 people have voted fullscreen confused

The Ones
yes and i bet you they are either

a) on crack

b) have a bounty on there head now

c) shot

Padawan
I'm glad you created this thread and showed the difference between the two. A LOT sure is lost with the full screen format. I wasn't aware that THAT much would be lost. Now you've helped me make my choice.

Thanks!

Widescreen?

or Fullscreen?

And why do you prefer the format you do?

Personally, and I think I speak for many when I say that the general preference is widescreen, since you don't chop off any of the movie. The general misconception of widescreen is that you need a 16:9 television to view it, which isn't true. I don't care about he black bars at all, so... why feel jipped when you buy a dvd? Buy the movie, not an edited version of it.

Morlow
Widescreen. I can't stand fullscreen.

Darth Nazgul
Wide screen in my opinion...kicks ass.

grievous16
Widescreen sucks! fullscreen is 100 times better and it doesnt have those two stupid bars.iam gonna go with fullscreen

Stefan Kojic
Dunno if this was posted but what is the difference between this thread and the "Widescreen vs Fullscreen" thread?

SnakeEyes
I'm gonna get the Widescreen DVD of course... especially because we have a Widescreen TV, so it looks awesome. Even if I didn't, I would still get widescreen.

nuwine200419
im gonna Get both....I fullscreen...and The WIDESCREEn SET..

chinabing
I'll get the widescreen DVD and the fullscreen vhs. Yes, VHS. They always seem to put a little something on the vhs tape that they leave out of the DVDs. Plus I hate being forced to watch the FBI screen, and all the doodads that make you keep pressing buttons. I love VHSs that you just put it in, and it plays and I can fast-forward any time I want! Plus, with kids around, the actual media is protected in a case. And VHS is cheaper than DVDs.

DeVi| D0do
But VHS quality sucks.

As does fullscreen.

Stunrun
im surprised this hasnt been posted yet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/Stunrun/20050725_1_bg.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/Stunrun/epiiidvdfull.jpg

JKozzy
Eww. Fullscreen. *holds nose* How the blue stands out....

We had the cover artwork thread, though I'm not sure how it didn't make it here either, Stun stick out tongue

JLRTENJAC

WOW... once again we conflict... I like full screen... unless the bars are small. Oh and I work at a movie theatre and we take all kinds of crap from our customers who just don't understand the work it takes to keep the place running... even for us ushers. But it's all worth it to pre-view Movies! (we can because we have to make shure the movies are allright for you customers.)

Stunrun
Eww. Fullscreen. *holds nose* How the blue stands out....

We had the cover artwork thread, though I'm not sure how it didn't make it here either, Stun stick out tongue

ah....it was posted July 25th - old news lol, my bad stick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
I just don't see the point in watching only 60% of a movie...

adamrubin
why does anakin have no scar??!?!?!???!??!??!?

Stunrun
well spotted blink lol

Captain REX
I call widescreen...

Jayd265
when i buy movies for me with my money its widescreen now because i realize the difference, but if my mom gives me money to go buy them shes like get fullscreen its better blahblahblah im like ok w/e lol parents and siblings....who needs them???

Blue450Rider
Widescreen. I was tricked into buying Spiderman fullscreen, they had a box around the DVD case that hid the "fullscreen" across the top. I never watch it...

Sith Master X
It's ironic why they call it "Fullscreen" when you see more of the picture in "widescreen" format.

Darth Jello
I think that you should buy the DVD the way the movie/tv show was shot.
Widescreen doesn't lose all of the picture and it's cool. But, if you buy a widescreen dvd of something that was originally shot in fullscreen....well, you end up with a blurry piece of shit that looks worse than episode II on IMAX

chinabing
You have to buy VHS in Fullscreen because now that's the only format they create Star Wars VHS' in! They only made an Episode II VHS in Fullscreen! argh. Yes I have a DVD player so I buy both VHS and DVD because I have an old VHS-combo and it's very nice.

Remember the stink GL got when Episode I came out... first in VHS only! Only months later did the DVD come out and it got raves in all the DVD press. Episode I remains the only prequel to come out in a widescreen VHS.

I always try to rent VHSs from blockbuster because so many idiots scratch the heck out of DVDs I rent. Man there is nothing more irritating than trying to watch a DVD movie that hiccups because some moron doesn't know how to correctly handle a DVD. You miss scenes and you have to backup and it entirely ruins the flow of the movie.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by chinabing
so many idiots scratch the heck out of DVDs I rent. Man there is nothing more irritating than trying to watch a DVD movie that hiccups because some moron doesn't know how to correctly handle a DVD. You miss scenes and you have to backup and it entirely ruins the flow of the movie.

A-friggin-men! That's why I use the online DVD rental systems... their DVDs go through a cleaning machine whenever they're used.

JediStang
definately widescreen. I made a BIG mistake and bought TPM and AOTC on fullscreen, so I am going to buy the entire PT Widescreen if it comes out in a box set, which I imagine that it will. I bought the OT around Christmas in Widescreen. I just don't like the blue borders around the fullscreen's box, and the fact that it cuts half the movie and zooms in to blur the picture. Episode I fullscreen positively sucks.

General Bondius
Widescreen, no question about it

Smegulated
how is it a thread like this is still getting replies

most the posts are:

fullscreen

widescreen

fullscreen

widescreen

fullscreen

i have to admit its not the most interesting thread roll eyes (sarcastic)
i think the answers obvious its up to the viewer

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Smegulated

most the posts are:

fullscreen

widescreen

fullscreen

widescreen

fullscreen

All the shit threads in this place and you criticize this one? confused

DeVi| D0do

most the posts are:

fullscreen

widescreen

fullscreen

widescreen

fullscreen

What a stupid post.

umraaan
widescreen all the way baby!!

umraaan

most the posts are:

fullscreen

widescreen

fullscreen

widescreen

fullscreen

then y r u posting in it stupid ass?

JKozzy
All the shit threads in this place and you criticize this one? confused That made my night... laughing out loud

Ast Rofan
That made my night... laughing out loud

Well, I do what I can to help others. stick out tongue

Stunrun
The Kozzman makes very good threads cool dont f***ing diss!

JKozzy
True dat cool

Here's a little something I cooked up in a half hour:
Episode III Trailer: Fullscreen vs. Widescreen

This little video basically intercuts between the normal widescreen presentation and cropped versions of scenes from the trailer, which would more than likely look strikingly similar to that of a fullscreen DVD. Notice the people cut out, claustrophobic scenes, and less exciting battles.

For those of you that don't understand how to use Rapidshare:
scroll to the bottom and hit the "FREE" button.

Then look at the bottom of the next screen. You will be given a download-ticket. In normally 60 seconds, you will get a link to the file. Wait the sixty seconds and download the video.

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/6720/free5ho.jpg

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4265/wait2xg.jpg

DeVi| D0do
Yay for happyhours!

And Yay for widescreen!

Nicely done, Kozzy. cool

Fullscreen is cropped to the bejeebus! eek!

Stunrun
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Fullscreen is cropped to the bejeebus! eek!

i couldnt agree morewink

BAILY
(sarcastically) Hey, nothing beats the pan and scan fullscreens where the image moves from the left side of the screen to the right.. or vise versa....

Widescreen cuts off the picture at teh top and bottom.. I am an ignorant ass(blank) and choose to like fullscreen bc I am a dipwad...

(Seriously) Widescreen is the way to go... i cant believe i used to watch fullscreen movies.. i have to go back and watch them widescreent to appreciate them more....

JKozzy
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Nicely done, Kozzy. cool Thanks DD cool I thought it did an adequite job for comparison.

~ J ~
Both.

JKozzy
What? Both? Do you mean you'd buy both versions?

...why?

BAILY
What? Both? Do you mean you'd buy both versions?

...why?

Why not flush money down the toilet? That makes more sense... I was watching a show on Discovery Channel tonight and the people at American Standard were showing how they tested flushing toilets and they put the damnest things in there... i would put every copy of Fullscreen ROTS in there....

darthmonkey9206
haha, I dont even see fullscreen crap anymore when i go to bestbuy or wherever.

Captain REX
Fullscreen is ridiculous. It cuts off parts of the screen.

b-dan
wide screen I got a big screen so i will probly get that and full screen sucks i only got 2 full screen films the Matrix Revolutions, the Phantome Menace

muserke
I used to have AOTC in fullscreen and believe me: it sucked!

Luckely I now have a widescreen version...

Really people, buy widescreen. Don't waste your money.

DenKi
im getting fullscreen just for the hell of it

Captain REX
Originally posted by BAILY
Why not flush money down the toilet?

JKozzy
Might be better off just doing that. stick out tongue

Superman Dan
Huh. I always thought that in widescreen all it did was cut the picture in half so it <i>looks</i> wider but is only thinner. I see that's not the case. I would like to see it as tall as full screen but as wide as widescreen so I see everything without any bars. Why is it wider but thinner? You can see more horizontally but not virtically.

DeVi| D0do
Because what's on the sides is more important than what's one top/bottom... and widescreen fits humans natural eye sight better.

JKozzy
You don't see the world in a square, you see it panoramically yes

PVS
buying full screen makes no sense at all.

DeVi| D0do
Indeed... just like trigonometry...

PVS
how lame would it be if all art was converted to fullscreen?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/PVS/fullscreen.jpg

DeVi| D0do
Extremely lame...

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/6993/warhol3yr.th.jpg

PVS
indeed...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/PVS/starry.jpg

PVS
Originally posted by DenKi
im getting fullscreen just for the hell of it

when i feel like pissing my money away, i usually just head down to atlantic city. to each their own

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Superman Dan
Huh. I always thought that in widescreen all it did was cut the picture in half so it <i>looks</i> wider but is only thinner. I see that's not the case. I would like to see it as tall as full screen but as wide as widescreen so I see everything without any bars. Why is it wider but thinner? You can see more horizontally but not virtically.

In the theater the screen is wider than it is tall, that's why on a regular square tv you have the black bars at the top and bottom, and depending on the aspec ratio of the DVD there are still black bars at the top and bottom on widescreen tvs and sometimes not.

go here to see the major difference

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/indexp2.html

Backspace
Why do the even make fullscreen anymore?

Superman Dan
It dosen't fit my vision better. When I see I see almost as high as wide. Widescreen is too thin.

FULLSCREEN>widescreen.

JKozzy
Here's a little something I cooked up in a half hour:
Episode III Trailer: Fullscreen vs. Widescreen

This little video basically intercuts between the normal widescreen presentation and cropped versions of scenes from the trailer, which would more than likely look strikingly similar to that of a fullscreen DVD. Notice the people cut out, claustrophobic scenes, and less exciting battles.

For those of you that don't understand how to use Rapidshare:
scroll to the bottom and hit the "FREE" button.

Then look at the bottom of the next screen. You will be given a download-ticket. In normally 60 seconds, you will get a link to the file. Wait the sixty seconds and download the video.

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/6720/free5ho.jpg

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/4265/wait2xg.jpg Fullscreen is lame.

SW3HP4IJ4
I like widescreen better. I'll be buying it in widescreen. Fullscreen cuts off a lot of stuff.

amity75
Widescreen. Because I don't want to watch venge of the si

JKozzy
Me either no

BAILY
Originally posted by amity75
Widescreen. Because I don't want to watch venge of the si

eek! laughing I like that one... very clever

JKozzy
Since the DVD release is in one week, I feel it necessary to bump this. bunny

Adamwankenobi
Bump #2, courtesy of Adamwankenobi

roughrider
Widescreen is the only option.
Of course, for smaller formats, whatever the director wants is fine with me, like old movies shot in fullscreen.

Adamwankenobi
Like The Star Wars Holiday Special.

JKozzy
Which many people pretend never existed stick out tongue

Adamwankenobi
But it was shot in full screen!dance And... well, I think it's alright.

jainasolo55
widescreen duh look how crappy fullscreen looks

Adamwankenobi
I concur. But the holiday special was shot in full screen, so it is best viewed that way. It would look all ficked up in woidescreen, as I tried to convert it to see what it would look like, and it turned out horrible. Now, ROTS, obviously should be seen in widescreen.

JKozzy
Mm. Which is what this thread's about: the ROTS DVD wink

starwarsrules14
I hate fullscreen, but my parents hate widescreen sad Of course my parents win so I have to watch it in fulscreen.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>