Why was Qui-Gon's ghost scene ommited from the movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DiamondBullets
In the ROTS novel, after the twins are born Yoda goes into hiding on Dagobah and Qui-Gon Jinn appears to him as a blue ghost (just like Ben did to Luke in the frist trilogy) and they discuss the future of Skywalker's children and of the Jedi Order itself. It was pretty deep. Does anyone know why it was ommited from the film? My guess--time compression.

Wickerman
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
In the ROTS novel, after the twins are born Yoda goes into hiding on Dagobah and Qui-Gon Jinn appears to him as a blue ghost (just like Ben did to Luke in the frist trilogy) and they discuss the future of Skywalker's children and of the Jedi Order itself. It was pretty deep. Does anyone know why it was ommited from the film? My guess--time compression.

my guess is also time compression. Also, don't forget at the end of the movie, Yoda does tell Obi Wan that he's going to have to train to some day be able to do what Master Qui Gon did. So it's said that Qui Gon was the reason Obi Wan and Yoda were able to do that. It's just not shown.

~wickerman~

Darth_Nefarus
they shouldn't have cut it, it is very essential to the story

CyberFelon
I think it was best left implied. The film was coming to a close and the pace of the film would have been worse. I'm not saying it would make for a bad ending, just a slightly drawn out one. I think the ending of RoTS couldn't be any better.

By the way, this is my first post in something like 3 years. I googled my name and found lots of my old posts about AotC and remembered how cool this place was smile

LordSorgo
I don't wanna have to repeat this....

Liam Neeson broke his foot weeks before they were going to film his part, so they just put his voice in.

Jerico
His voice was in the film?

DeVi| D0do
No it wasn't.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by LordSorgo
I don't wanna have to repeat this....

Liam Neeson broke his foot weeks before they were going to film his part, so they just put his voice in.

Not true. He wanted NOTHING to do with the film, they didn't even get his voice recorded.

If they did record his voice you know Georgey boy would have done a CGI ghost of Qui-Gon. He would have Qui-Gon out of focus and center the camera on Yoda, that way it would be harder to see that the Qui-Gon was fake.

Bicnarok

Wickerman
I also heard that Neeson didn't want anything more to do with the movie, so that's probably another big part of why it wasn't shown.

~wickerman~

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
Not true. He wanted NOTHING to do with the film, they didn't even get his voice recorded.

If they did record his voice you know Georgey boy would have done a CGI ghost of Qui-Gon. He would have Qui-Gon out of focus and center the camera on Yoda, that way it would be harder to see that the Qui-Gon was fake.

True. George Lucas said it himself on an interview with ET.

ccoo
If Liam Neeson didn't want anything to do with the movie, why was he at the premiere in NY? I think Lucas cut it for time purposes. He said in an interview in late-April, he cut out anything that didn't have to do with Anakin that was making the film too long. That is why you don't see the formation of the rebel alliance with Padme & Mon Monthma. I disagree with that decision, but that is the way Lucas does things. I'm hoping in the ROTS DVD that Lucas put backs in: Yoda flying to Dagobah, and Qui-Gon talking to Yoda (if it was ever filmed).

Revan Souer
I didn't hear anything about Qui being in ep3 does anyone have any footage. Also Im kindda glad he wasn't didn't really like Qui. Just for the stupid miniclorings(?) line. Sorry don't know how to spell it

DenKi
All they needed to do is add him as CGI i could imagen the Scene so perfectly, Yoda Meditating and talking to Quigon and all we see In Quigons back looking towards Yoda, not showing his face but we could all guess and know who he was.

Wickerman
Originally posted by DenKi
All they needed to do is add him as CGI i could imagen the Scene so perfectly, Yoda Meditating and talking to Quigon and all we see In Quigons back looking towards Yoda, not showing his face but we could all guess and know who he was.

Yes, that would've been cool. I'm supposing this might be included in the promised TV series.

~wickerman~

vader519
THe scvene was never shot. Liam Nesson was on the View last week. They asked him about the scene, and he said he never shot anything or did any voice work.

DenKi
Wells Liams abit of a F***k ********* ******** then.

What was the reason why Liam didnt bother anway?

Becos the thing that really ticks me of is that hes been in alot of Starwars Documents with interviews recently in and hes saying that Episode 3 will be amazing ect. ect. SO why didnt he wanna be in it

vader519
He did not give a reason, but syas it was the fans who started the crazy rumour that he was in the movie. Also when he gave hid answer, it sounded like the question upset him.

SithSpy
Liam is a classy guy, so he couldve wanted nothing to do with the film and not bashed it at the same time. I think they shouldve had at least his voice in their b/c it was kind of a big scene, especially when Yoda admits that he was a greater Jedi than they had thought. But they also left out most of the senate stuff (delegation of 2000) so alot of cuts were made to important parts. But look at it this way, now we still have some new SW stuff to look forward to!!

PVS
well that does it, i am officially boycotting liam neeson's films.
what a prick he is. he made a commitment when signing on, and now he's just so frikin high and mighty he cant be soiled by star wars

well i have 2 words for you liam, you arrogant snot nosed prick:

DARK MAN

bet you'd like us to forget that one, huh?

Bicnarok

vader519
Because then the movie begins to drag and it gets boring.

Bishop X
Like LOTR.

pr1983

green dude
Well both movies are dang great and that part would have been
cool it would only take a few minutes people come to a theatre
to see the hole movie.

Hopefully in the DVDs they'll have it in
deleted scenes and here what a guy made of what it would
sound like not look like ok h***://***.putfile.com/media.php?n=Qui_Gon_Scene

Captain REX
Besides, LOTR was based on the awesome book by Tolkien. Lucas is taking this stuff off the top of his head.

green dude
stick out tongue well Tolkien took more time and had more
time he spent about 4 years or somthing makeing
the books Lucas trying his best to make movies and books
so kinda harder for him plus his is not based on which hate

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by green dude
well Tolkien took more time and had more time he spent about 4 years or somthing makeing the books
Lucas has spent 30 years making Star Wars!

green dude
well Tolkien took more time and had more
time he spent about 4 years or somthing makeing
the books Lucas trying his best to make movies and books
so kinda harder for him plus his is not based on which i don't
really like two different books people from different times
Tolkien from past LOTR the books take place in the past
GL is from our time future is movies/books are set for
future see what i mean but both movies books rock out
loud and GL has made 6 movies great accomplishment wink

DeVi| D0do
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

Cipher
Not showing Qui-Gon as a ghost or at least a disembodied voice
was my one real disappointment with Ep. 3.

The whole ghost thing isn't really dealt with in the movie at all.....

vader519
Well blame it on Liam Nesson, not Geroge Lucas.

Captain REX
Or George Lucas, for making movies that Liam Neeson thought were slightly lameness... big grin

Tolkien took more than four years making LOTR, I can tell you that. He put out 'The Hobbit' in the 30's/40's, I think, and then put out the next three books over the decade of the 50's. He wrote them all at the same time, though.

vader519
Geroge Lucas took #0 years to make all six movies. It is not his fault. Also rumor has it that Nesson wanted alot money just for his cameo appearence. Just like Marlon Brando got $1 million for his little two minute cameo in Superman. It is just dumb.

Captain REX
#0?

Lana
To whoever said that the scene was at the end: In the screenplay, it was more towards the middle of the movie.

And has anyone actually read that scene as scripted? It was awful. Though it explains the whole Force ghost thing, it was written really badly.

Captain REX
Besides, he didn't take 30 years to make the Prequels! He wasn't even WORKING on the PT during that 30 year gap. He was waiting for technology to get betterer.

DeVi| D0do
In the screenplay I have it's at the end... after Yoda's duel, when he's on the Asteroid thing... it happens just before Bail interupts him...

confused

But, yeah, it was written quite badly...

Lana
Really?

Hmm...I could have sworn it was earlier....I'm probably wrong though, because I haven't looked at it since before ROTS came out. Meh. It still was poorly written.

Captain REX
Yup, Lana, you're insane! My sock puppet agrees. big grin

http://img145.exs.cx/gal.php?g=pg010sh.jpg

The script. stick out tongue

Lana
I have the damn thing on my computer stick out tongue I just, like I said, haven't looked at it since before ROTS came out. Over a month ago stick out tongue

Captain REX
Then shut up! stick out tongue

matreid
The end of the film kinda dragged out, so I don't think that the scene with him would have helped.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.