Could someone become more powerful than god?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Imlistening
if our goal is to become like him, could we become more than him and then be his god?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Imlistening
if our goal is to become like him, could we become more than him and then be his god?

I think we are already like him, and when we die we go back to being part of the whole again.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Imlistening
No.

DigiMark007
In a pantheistic sense, this might be theoretically possible. Note: I don't believe this, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Pantheists believe god IS the universe. Current quantum mechanics would tell us that all matter is simply different forms of energy and that the entire universe is one continuous stream of energy...in that sense, it isn't a stretch to say that the universe is a single whole entity, not seperate entities. Some Eastern thought, specifically the concept of Enlightenment, is somewhat of 'becoming one' with creation and the universe (this is a gross simplification of the concept of Enlightenment, but certainly is part of it). Now let's assume for a second that the pantheists are onto something, or even that we go to a world after this one where we 'become one' with the whole that is god. In that sense, we might BE god at that point. Or, if we extend the concept of Enlightenment one step further to the point of complete awareness and oneness (and thus control) of existence, it might be possible to simply become one with all that is...giving a person omnipresent control over reality....in a word: God (at least in a pantheistic sense, assuming there is no 'other' world beyond this one).

Beyond God? Probably not...especially since pretty much any modern concept of God leaves no room for expansion and/or improvement. But 'Being God' or at least level with him in terms of awareness and power? Possible (again, depending on one's beliefs and conceptions of reality).

And there's my philisophical bull-sh%t for the day.

-DM

Imlistening
thankyou, that was very interesting

Lord Melkor
If you are talking about Greek gods, or any polyteisthic pantheon, than there is some hierarchy of power and dominion.

And Christian God- aren`t we supposed to be a part of him? If he created everything....

Sniper_sloth
I'm allready more powerful than god. And I achieved it by saying 'I refuse to live by your expectations and rules'.

Imlistening
lol lol lol

Imlistening
Originally posted by Sniper_sloth
I'm allready more powerful than god. And I achieved it by saying 'I refuse to live by your expectations and rules'.

lol, laughing big grin

DigiMark007
Actually, there's something to be said for that. If God is perfect, then he can't be evil. He also can't 'choose' to be good, because he 'IS' good. We have the choice between good and evil (depending on you views about morality) and therefore have more 'power' than God, because we can do something that he cannot. So power in its traditional sense? No. But a different sort of power.

-DM

debbiejo
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Actually, there's something to be said for that. If God is perfect, then he can't be evil. He also can't 'choose' to be good, because he 'IS' good. We have the choice between good and evil (depending on you views about morality) and therefore have more 'power' than God, because we can do something that he cannot. So power in its traditional sense? No. But a different sort of power.

-DM

To everything there is an opposite...hot, cold, male, female, up, down..good, bad. God is in all things...He/It could even be called He/She....So where ever there is one thing, or the other, god is in both and has created both for the soul purpose of us knowing both. And in knowing both we can know the whole truth.

XxoooxX
Originally posted by DigiMark007

-DM

I can't have a babby and my sister can. Does that make her more powerful than me. Just because She can do somthing I cant laughing out loud

DigiMark007
Originally posted by XxoooxX
I can't have a babby and my sister can. Does that make her more powerful than me. Just because She can do somthing I cant laughing out loud

Sure. It just depends on your definition of power. If we think of it in terms of strength and control, then no. But having a baby is definitely a form of power...just not the kind of power we normally think about.

And what debbiejoe said I'd probably agree with. A christian friend of mine once told me what I put in my last post though...about being able to choose good where God can't. Not sure what I believe there, but what I said holds true depending on what you believe about the nature of God.

-DM

cking
no, God can make a person powerful, but god is all powerful all knowing. no one can compete against the Creator.

finti
if god is all powerful why dont he rid this planet of evil?

debbiejo
Originally posted by finti
if god is all powerful why dont he rid this planet of evil?

Best question ever!!!!!!!

But my answer would be...it is an opposite...one must have the other....otherwise one couldn't be enjoyed.

cking
to test our faith.

finti
how long does god need to do this testing?, casue god must have gotten more patient than god used to be about the entire human faith thingy

debbiejo
Originally posted by cking
to test our faith.

So, he's been testing is for thousands of years? He already knows how we will act doesn't he.....

You gotta get out of the doctrine man.

cking
god knows our mind and hearts. He knows what are future is going to be like. God has alot of patience for mankind.

markie
Originally posted by debbiejo
I think we are already like him, and when we die we go back to being part of the whole again. You are because God is a woman. confused I want to be like God. roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

Imperial_Samura
If the theory that God/gods can only exist because we believe were true, then humanity would be more powerful, as their existance would be dependent on our belief....

finti
so why do god need to test mans faith if god already knows our mind and heearts?

cking
so we will give him glory, just like job did.

periera
that just seems like such circular logic....

cking
it is very true, but still it all goes back to God.

finti
that sounds like a conceited kind of deity full of itself

cking
nope that is not how it goes

finti
to me it is

cking
that is what you think

finti
of course thats what I think, just as the thing you state is just what you think. Its all about what we believe it to be nothing more cause we really dont know any more than that

cking
yep

debbiejo
Originally posted by cking
yep

And you think YOU know....

finti
he is just like every other christian deb, think they know what they dont know

fruits
our goal isnt to be like him, that is impossible. we just strive to be as close to godly as possible, knowing that we can never match his power

Imlistening
Originally posted by fruits
our goal isnt to be like him, that is impossible. we just strive to be as close to godly as possible, knowing that we can never match his power

well, that is a stupid goal, because he is so far ahead of us that it is impossible to become anything like him, he has infinite knowledge, therefore having infinite power. we know about as much as nothing compared to him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.