GameCube Memory Card Corruption

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dark1365
I recently was playing Resident Evil 4 on GCN when I attempted to save and failed when the prompt said that the data on memory card A was corrupted and needed to be erased. Of course I didn't erase, but I'm not sure how to fix the problem. Anyone know?

JToTheP
I never had a GC memory card problem with any game so far. Maybe its your RE4 disc?

dark1365
No, it's not the disc...it specifically says that it's the memory card.

JToTheP
Have you loaded the menu without a disc & checked for the data on the memory card?

dark1365
Yes, it's still there as normal.

hotsauce6548
Hmmm... well, my advice, if you can't seem to fix the problem, is try copying the data onto another memory card (if you have one) and then seeing if that memory card will work. It may be a piece of data on there.

dark1365
Maybe that'll work, but I'm not too sure that I can get another one from my friend.

Red Superfly
What kind of memory card is it? If it's one of those crappy third party ones then I'd sum up that the card is just jiggered (kaputt).

dark1365
Well, it is a different one than the actual gamecube package included. I think the normal one is 24 KB, but I am using one double that size. Not sure what "third-party" means.

Smasandian
Well Is it a Nintendo product?

3rd Party means another company made a memory card for the GC, buts its not an official Nintendo product.

JToTheP
You should never buy 3rd party memory cards, they get corrupted eaisly and can f*** up your console. 3rd Party controllers die within a year-2 years of purchase, where as official ones never die unless mistreated.

Besides, why would you wanna buy a 3rd party controller now? Nintendo put out the 251, and the 1001 memory cards now.

dark1365
Yes it is an official Nintindo product, with the official seal of Nintendo and all.

Smodden
Ohhh, I had the exact same problem. I was playing Spiderman 2...tried to save, and I had "corrupted data" and it said I had to erace the card. I tried moving the file to a dif card but it didn't work....I ended up having to erace my card. And yes, it was a third party memory card. Mad Katzz or something like that...

I think the problem is caused when you turn off your console during a save.

dark1365
I never turned off the console when saving...

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by dark1365
I recently was playing Resident Evil 4 on GCN when I attempted to save and failed when the prompt said that the data on memory card A was corrupted and needed to be erased. Of course I didn't erase, but I'm not sure how to fix the problem. Anyone know?

Well that SUCKKKKKKSSS....

dark1365
Me and friends have found a way to remedy the problem so far...all we do is prevent the damn card from overheating. So after 1 1/2 hours of play, we find a typerwriter and save, turn the console off, pull the card out and stick it in the fridge. And go run off to try Counterstrike(so much more fun with friends)

powerfulone1987
you say, find a typewriter.

Are you sure you're not playing Resident Evil Zero, cause you save to typewriters in that game too.

dark1365
I am playing RE4. Not Zero. Saving at typewriters are somewhat of a classic in RE games.

JToTheP
Me and friends have found a way to remedy the problem so far...all we do is prevent the damn card from overheating. So after 1 1/2 hours of play, we find a typerwriter and save, turn the console off, pull the card out and stick it in the fridge. And go run off to try Counterstrike(so much more fun with friends)

I say that's one ghetto card, I played Tales Of Symphonia for like 8 hours straight one day, and my card save was fine.

dark1365
*sob* cry

hotsauce6548
Hehehe... you put it in the fridge? That'll come back to bite you in the ass. I garuntee it won't work for too long...

dark1365
Originally posted by hotsauce6548
Hehehe... you put it in the fridge? That'll come back to bite you in the ass. I garuntee it won't work for too long...
Hasn't failed yet.

Blue Dragon
I had the same problem. We are the same. When I first bought my GC, I played on my 3rd game I bought, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

When doing some of it or finished one side of a team (eg Hero side), the next time I switich on the GC it says 'the memory card is corrupted' or something.

Then it asks to delete my Sonic file because it won't load. This happened a number of times with this game but only once with my SSBM game...the game is okay on other memory cards. We took this broken one back, take it back dark.

Darth Jello
well, you could try the NES method of holding reset while you push start when turning it off...jk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.