Are we fooling ourselves...?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jabbar
Is Star Wars III: Revenge of teh Sith the greatest Star Wars movie? Are we fooling ourselves in maintaining that Ep V: ESB is the best? I think all the discussion and interest in this movie makes it the greatest Star Wars movie, and one of the best SciFi/Fantasy movie of all time.

Ani's Girl
I personally like this one the best because it has the Anakin going to the Dark Side and becoming Darth Vader story. I haven't watched EP5 in a while, but I thoroughly enjoyed III.

Lord Darth Gabe

Ken Kenobi
No, I am not fooling myself. ESB is still the best of all the Star Wars movies, but ROTS comes in a close second for me.

jabbar
Ep III wins on so many criteria:
* special effects: vastly improved over I and II
* plot: without a doubt the most engrossing and dramatic plotline
* significance: As many have mentioned, it connects the PT with the OT. The story, the outcomes, the historical importance of what transpires in Ep III makes it significant in the context of the entire Star Wars saga.
* action: Heaps more action, and, more importantly, light saber duels than all the other episodes combined.

mysterio69
well, luke meets yoda, han gets pursued by boba fett and ends up frozen in carbonite, luke finds out vader is his dad, etc.......
oh, and lets not forget mr. lando calrissian. ESB rocks.
but ROTS is damn fine too, don't get me wrong. but honestly, who didn't feel like shit at the end of empire? even with all the crap that happens in sith, we know good will eventually come of it. but empire was quite the downer...in a good way.

theshakl
i don't know which one i like best..they all have their GREAT PARTS!

but i think episode 3 is lower in my list...

but those last scenes of episode 3 are GREAT! so i take back that last comment....

jabbar
Originally posted by theshakl
i don't know which one i like best..they all have their GREAT PARTS!

but i think episode 3 is lower in my list...

but those last scenes of episode 3 are GREAT! so i take back that last comment....

yousound confused, theshakl .

DeVi| D0do
I'm not fooling myself. Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film BY FAR!

Originally posted by Lord Darth Gabe
... without ep 3 there would`nt be an OT...
That makes NO sense... the OT survived over 20 years without Epiosde III.

jabbar
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do

I think he's trying to say that Ep 3 completes the circle, and the story behind Vader's birth would not be complete. It is crucial to the PT. In fact, you could almost ignore Ep I and II, and Ep III would be enough to explain Vader's birth, the rise of the Empire, etc.

Ani's Girl
Originally posted by jabbar
I think he's trying to say that Ep 3 completes the circle, and the story behind Vader's birth would not be complete. It is crucial to the PT. In fact, you could almost ignore Ep I and II, and Ep III would be enough to explain Vader's birth, the rise of the Empire, etc.

I think you could skip I, but a friend of mine had seen III without seeing I and II and was a little lost. I showed her II, then we went back and saw III again and she said it made MUCH more sense.

Red Superfly
I'm not fooling myself. Empire Strikes Back is still better.

jabbar
I don't understand it, is it a nostalgic attachment to ESB that most people persist with the "ESB is better than ROTS" argument?

I agree that ESB is very good. It almost has an introspective element (ie. Luke trying to defeat the evil within before facing Vader). But, ROTS also has a deep plot line, with Anakin's struggle with his love for Padme and his duty as a Jedi Knight; the dichotomy of the Jedi and the Sith (ie. are they the same in that both want power), etc. ESB is wonderfully dramatic and pivotal, but I think the Ep III beats it on many counts (see my previous post on criteria). As far as plot line goes, I think the two are 'line-ball' - both are as good as each other.

mysterio69
ROTS felt too rushed. gl had to fit so many things into 2 hours, and if II was a little better, he wouldn't have had to.
and there's nothing nostalgic about ESB. it's just a better movie.

DeVi| D0do
Empire:

- Darker (in a different way).
- Much (much) better acting.
- Much better screenplay.
- Better special effects (yup).
- Yoda is excellent in this film (his character, I mean).
- Every single shot is beautiful (every frame in fact).
- Better music editing.
- The Dagobah scenes are my favourite in the saga.
- The Vader/Luke duel is the best in the saga.
- Thematic elements are dealt with better.
- Better characters.

It's not because of nostalgia or anything, Empire Strikes Back is simply a far superior film.

pr1983
Empire:

- Better music editing.
- Better characters.

It's not because of nostalgia or anything, Empire Strikes Back is simply a far superior film.

yeah, totally agree...

they don't make movies like they used to...

mysterio69
Empire:

- Better music editing.
- Better characters.

Yeah!!! what he said!!!

bilb
ESB is the best.. all you need do is watch Clerks for further information as to why stick out tongue

jerlark386
"Are we fooling ourselves?"

Without reading anything I can tell you the answer is yes. It is always yes.

Captain REX
Empire:

- Better music editing.
- Better characters.

Hot damn, I think he's got it!

And it's always yes/no, or nes, or yo. stick out tongue

vader519
I do think Episode 3 is the best star wars movie now because it is about Anakin going to the dark side, the birth of the empire, and the brith of vader.

Captain REX
Nah. Episode 5 is better. big grin

Episode 3 is just more...well...action packed.

Ast Rofan
Why do we always have to pick a best one? Why cant we just enjoy them? They are all good. That way no one gets worked up, no one starts calling names, no one gets stabbed...........well, not again anyways. stick out tongue

I feel E5 is the better movie, but E3 is definatly the most important chapter.(my opinion atleast)

Lana

jabbar
I love the whole Star Wars saga. Period. I only state that I have a favourite among favourites stick out tongue

Captain REX
I wonder if GL even watched his own movies, sometimes...

For example. When we see Darth Vader being fried by lightning, it shows that he has an entire arm made cybernetic, and a mechanical neck brace thing. His neck didn't look broken to me, at the end of ROTS.

Lana
Originally posted by Captain REX
I wonder if GL even watched his own movies, sometimes...

For example. When we see Darth Vader being fried by lightning, it shows that he has an entire arm made cybernetic, and a mechanical neck brace thing. His neck didn't look broken to me, at the end of ROTS.

I like my explanation for that stick out tongue

Echuu
Originally posted by jabbar
Is Star Wars III: Revenge of teh Sith the greatest Star Wars movie? Are we fooling ourselves in maintaining that Ep V: ESB is the best? I think all the discussion and interest in this movie makes it the greatest Star Wars movie, and one of the best SciFi/Fantasy movie of all time.

Nope. ESB totally owns ROTS no matter what people say. Yes ROTS had the best special effects of any of the movies but I mean come on. IT'S EMPIRE eek! This film just FEELS SO BLOODY AWESOME. Just everything. You've got hotshot Han cruisin' past Star Destroyers with Imperial March; youve got Hoth; youve got han getting getting frozen; the romance(lol, if you didnt know leia was your sister youd be thinkin the same thing), the return of obi-wan, and of course "I am your father!!!!!!
Everyone knew what was going to happen in Revenge. Empire totally blew people away.

matreid

Yes, very true. That's why I like the OT so much more.

Lord Darth Gabe
you know what? I don`t think ep5 is better than ep3 or the other way around...

I love STAR WARS as a whole.

the end of it...

that`s my last post on this thread

tpaquin
I think it's necessary to asess the movie from several positions.

From a cinematography angle, Irvin Kershner is a far superior director. His reliance on cold blues for his color pallette convey the darkness of the story, undeniably. The greatest scene, I believe, in film history is Darth Vader's silouette in teh crbonite chamber with Luke. The power of the blue generating the darkness, combined with the lightsabers creates a beautiful image. Episode III, on the other hand, did not have any conscious color pallette. Despite that, George Lucas' best direction was done in this film. His use of shots to further the plot is new for him, but he does it well. For instance, the shot of Anakin's head, with a smaller Obi Wan on the right was quite beautiful.

The story, for empire, represented a new dimension for the characters involved. This powerful portrayal helped to thrust the story from pure fluff, to pure feeling. I have never been so hurt as I was when Lando sold Han,Chewie and leia to Darth Vader. When I was five, I asked my mom what was happening, since the concept of betrayal was new to me. i was very hurt. Obviously like many other people, however, I cried during Episode III. Despite that, the plot required many leaps of faith that many (Myself not included) were unwilling to make. Empire requires no such leaps, and was, thus, a more powerful story.

Drfaw your own conclusions, but from a cinematic and story standpoint, The Empire Strikes Back reigns supreme, and it's not just fanboy bravado.

DeVi| D0do
^ Well said.

yes

DiamondBullets
Absolutely. ESB introduces Yoda, Boba Fett, The Emperor, Lando Calrissian, alludes to the highly feared Jabba the Hutt, and also contains the most memorable quotes of any of the films.

"...I am your father"

"I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!"

"There's not enough life on this ice cube to fill a star cruiser"

"...And I thought they smelled bad on the inside!"

"Never tell me the odds!"

"I love you." ---"I know"

"No disintegrations!"

"Do or do not, there is no try!"

Not to mention, Admiral Ozzel got force-choked.

DeVi| D0do
Not to metion...

YODA: Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hm? Mmmm. And well you should not. For my ally in the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you...me...the tree...the rock...everywhere! Yes, even between this land and the ship!

LUKE: I don't...I don't believe it.

YODA: That is why you fail.

Wickerman
Originally posted by tpaquin
I think it's necessary to asess the movie from several positions.

From a cinematography angle, Irvin Kershner is a far superior director. His reliance on cold blues for his color pallette convey the darkness of the story, undeniably. The greatest scene, I believe, in film history is Darth Vader's silouette in teh crbonite chamber with Luke. The power of the blue generating the darkness, combined with the lightsabers creates a beautiful image. Episode III, on the other hand, did not have any conscious color pallette. Despite that, George Lucas' best direction was done in this film. His use of shots to further the plot is new for him, but he does it well. For instance, the shot of Anakin's head, with a smaller Obi Wan on the right was quite beautiful.

The story, for empire, represented a new dimension for the characters involved. This powerful portrayal helped to thrust the story from pure fluff, to pure feeling. I have never been so hurt as I was when Lando sold Han,Chewie and leia to Darth Vader. When I was five, I asked my mom what was happening, since the concept of betrayal was new to me. i was very hurt. Obviously like many other people, however, I cried during Episode III. Despite that, the plot required many leaps of faith that many (Myself not included) were unwilling to make. Empire requires no such leaps, and was, thus, a more powerful story.

Drfaw your own conclusions, but from a cinematic and story standpoint, The Empire Strikes Back reigns supreme, and it's not just fanboy bravado.

All exceptionally true, especially the last phrase about fanboy bravado thumb up

~wickerman~

viking12344
Rots>Esb

But:
Yoda in esb>rots

Yoda, while necesary, was too damn serious in rots. In esb, it was a work of art. His laugh, his goofy attitude, his serious attitude. Everything he did, including playing tug of war with artoo.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by viking12344
Rots>Esb

But:
Yoda in esb>rots

Yoda, while necesary, was too damn serious in rots. In esb, it was a work of art. His laugh, his goofy attitude, his serious attitude. Everything he did, including playing tug of war with artoo.

Wasnt much to laugh about.

((The_Anomaly))
Funny, ESB is not even my Fav of the OT, Jedi is.

ESB is third in my list...

ROTJ
ROTS
ESB

Wickerman
Originally posted by viking12344
Rots>Esb

But:
Yoda in esb>rots

I agree about how yoda was made in ESB...it was brilliant big grin. However, in RoTS that simply wasn't the case. He was more concerned with the war that was going on, with what happened to the jedi, the sith and his own arrogance....he was portrayed very well, and the RoTS complemented the ESB Yoda VERY well IMO....

~wickerman~

viking12344
Yoda was great in all the movies he was in...well, I still don't get what he became at the end of TPM, maybe someone can splain that one to me. Seriously, why did he look so different? Was it supposed to be because of his age? Cause that lil green man looked absolutely insane, not younger.

Anyways, I thought his best line was in Jedi, when he asked Luke if he looked so old to young eyes and then half jokingly said I do, I do. That line was just amazing IMO.
Yoda had to play the part he did in Sith, I understand that. It is just not my favorite digital performance.

The Ones
it goes:

ROTS
ESB
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM
ANH

and from that the PT was better. but ROTS beats all.

DiamondBullets
I agree, the puppet Yoda was way cooler than the digital one--call me old fashion.

jabbar
The puppet Yoda seemed more real. Digital characters seem to move in a premeditated way. The movments seem too fluid and dramatic - not life-like enough. Although in some scenes such as Obi and Yoda in the temple, and Yoda, Obi, Senator Organa in the ship, he seemed a little more natural than during other scenes.

jabbar
ROTS rulz! It has a lot more emotion.
It's different from ESB in that the outcome is already known - it is the process by which the outcome is reached (ie. Anakin turning to the darkside) that is interesting. It is actually much harder to create a film where the outcome is known, and still generate an emotional and suspenseful response from the audience - which the audience got from ROTS; no arguments there!

Lana
Originally posted by The Ones
it goes:

ROTS
ESB
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM
ANH

and from that the PT was better. but ROTS beats all.

In your opinion.

I liked puppet Yoda better myself.

R2D2-89
i like the digital one better, it can do so much more such as expression lines and hand movement, that all counts in the end, the puppet seemed a bit stiff..

Darth Travizzle
RoTJ is still my favorite and will always be.

Ani's Girl
I think we had a rate 'em thread at one point, but for me...

ROTS
ESB
AOTC
ROTJ
ANH
TPM (could care less if I ever see that one again, I'm afraid)

Darth Travizzle
Alright, here it goes:
RoTJ
ESB
RoTS
AoTC
TPM
ANH
Well, there you have it.

kalsemo
ROTS
ROTJ
ESB
ANH
AOTC
TPM

dflood
Originally posted by Darth Travizzle
RoTJ is still my favorite and will always be.

amen .nothing can beat the happy endig

rots follows cuz it practically has everthig in it .,love,emotion,action etc.................. all except one thing ...............a suprise ending

and while im on the rots topic ,could someone please tell me why vader has to wear the mask.......it never explains why he cant breath without it .............and if he cant breath without it ,how come he was on the table for the opperation screaming instead of gasping for air

i know this hasnt much to do with the topic but i dont want to start a new thread in case i get scolded

Darth Travizzle
Originally posted by dflood
amen .nothing can beat the happy endig

rots follows cuz it practically has everthig in it .,love,emotion,action etc.................. all except one thing ...............a suprise ending

and while im on the rots topic ,could someone please tell me why vader has to wear the mask.......it never explains why he cant breath without it .............and if he cant breath without it ,how come he was on the table for the opperation screaming instead of gasping for air

i know this hasnt much to do with the topic but i dont want to start a new thread in case i get scolded
Good question. I'm really not sure. But I'd like to know.

Creechuur
Screw the movies.

EU FOREVER! evil face

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.