Can any one religion be true all by itself and no other?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Imlistening
can any single religion be the true religion, i mean they have no evidence that the others are wrong, especially when they don't have any real proof that they are right.

cking
if they have Jesus in their teaching then they are a true religion.

XxoooxX
Jesus was a powerful and verry much like hitler. Everyone just has the wrong ideah about what he was.

cking
Jesus is the opposite of Hitler.

cking
if people believed in Jesus they will know who the true god is, if they don't then they will never know personally who god is.

Storm
There is no one "right" religion. There are numerous systems through which people relate to the sacred, giving meaning and order to life. It is up to each person to find their way, and it is abhorrent for anyone to push their own spiritual beliefs on another.

Spirituality is the individual person' s relationship with the sacred. It' s an inner experience, it varies from person to person even more than religions differ from one to another.

finti
spoken with true christian arrogance and a great deal of ignorance

debbiejo
Originally posted by Storm
Spirituality is the individual person' s relationship with the sacred. It' s an inner experience, it varies from person to person even more than religions differ from one to another.

Good way to put it, yes..

finti
yes it is called no religion at all big grin

Imlistening
I personally am an atheist, but my mom and most of my brothers and sisters are mormon. i dont like the church, but i dont hate it.

Imlistening
people in the mormon church, say in their testimonys that they know that their church is the true church, and thats one of the things that tells me that their full of it.

Imlistening
I used to be a mormon.

debbiejo
The Seventh Day Adventists say their church is the true church....So, you better tell them.

cking
so do catholics. But the church that sticks with the word of god more than others and less man made beliefs they will stick out the longest.

cking
I'm sorry man can't find salvation through themselves, we tried that already and we failed. God can only save us now. A sinner can't save a sinner. People are brainwashed by these other new ages beliefs that you can only save yourself. How can sin save sin? it can't, you will fail every time if you do it on your own. that is why their is a need for a savior because we are all born in sin.

debbiejo
Because there is no sin?????

cking
yes their is Jesus says so.

cking
the disciples said so and they would never lie and Jesus would never lie.

finti
oh really says who?........

debbiejo
Originally posted by finti
oh really says who?........

Says Jesus remember???? smile

finti
jesus said that the disciples never lie huh?

debbiejo
I know, I know....Peter lied...

cking
That was before they had the holy spirit at Pentecost. He wasn't a believer yet, because he still doubted like the rest of them. They didn't believe until after the resurrection.

debbiejo
Originally posted by cking
That was before they had the holy spirit at Pentecost. He wasn't a believer yet, because he still doubted like the rest of them. They didn't believe until after the resurrection.

OH...come on..Now you're saying that the Holy Spirit causes people to not lie.....So, are you saying Peter didn't believe Jesus until after Pentecost?

cking
no, they were still struggling with belief at that time. I didn't say with the spirit you wouldn't have the ability to lie no! He did but he didn't have the holy spirit until Jesus left the earth. because Jesus said the helper cannot come until I leave and it will lead men to all things. We all have the ability to lie with the spirit, the only difference is we get convicted of it.

cking
peter was still struggling with the belief and when the spirit arrived the apostles were doing things that they couldn't do without the spirit. before Jesus died they trying to do the things Jesus was doing, but Jesus said the only reason they couldn't get the demon out of the man because of unbelief. when they received the spirit, they could do those things. many people did try to do it in Jesus name but the demon jumped on them instead because they had no belief.

debbiejo
peter was still struggling with the belief and when the spirit arrived the apostles were doing things that they couldn't do without the spirit. before Jesus died they trying to do the things Jesus was doing, but Jesus said the only reason they couldn't get the demon out of the man because of unbelief. when they received the spirit, they could do those things. many people did try to do it in Jesus name but the demon jumped on them instead because they had no belief.

People have cast demons out not using Jesus name though.....And people do healings Not in Jesus name...How would you explain that?

cking
that is true but they have to have belief in it. if not it will not happen for them.

debbiejo
that is true but they have to have belief in it. if not it will not happen for them.

So..people can do miracles without the name of Jesus...right?

cking
yes but with belief in Jesus that he will help them do it.

debbiejo
yes but with belief in Jesus that he will help them do it.

There have been people healed of tumors in no ones name...So, who's healing them???

cking
Jesus is

debbiejo
Jesus is

People are being healed in others name...so who are healing them?

cking
no one or maybe buddha is doing it?

mr.smiley
I'm sorry man can't find salvation through themselves, we tried that already and we failed. God can only save us now. A sinner can't save a sinner. People are brainwashed by these other new ages beliefs that you can only save yourself. How can sin save sin? it can't, you will fail every time if you do it on your own. that is why their is a need for a savior because we are all born in sin.

Those aren't new age belifes.They pre-date Christianity.

finti
still they already been portrayed as a liars so ...............

Imlistening
just because someone is healed, doesn't mean jesus did it, i mean, you say that just because they believed it would happen made jesus do it, so them just believing it would happen makes jesus the cause of them being healed, no i dont think so.

Imlistening
just believing in something doesn't make it so.

docb77
Boy this is all over the place, let's try to actually answer the question that was put forth. Can any one religion be totally right?

What is a religion? If it's just a philosophy or way of living then no, There's good ways of living and bad, as long as you've got a good way you'll probably be fine... at least in this life.

If however Religion is more than that, the answer could be yes. If religion is instead the attempt for someone to draw nearer deity, or knowledge about deity, then there could actually be only a very few, possibly even one "true" religion.

Here's a list of assumptions that I think would have to be true for the question to be answered in the affirmative:

1- God exists (meaning a god, not necessarily the one we are all talking about)

2-God actually want's people to draw closer to Him(I say Him, but that's just because of my belief, not actually part of the assumption)

If those 2 things are true there is a definite set of facts that describe God. He is either corporeal or not, loving or not, omnipotent, omniscient, etc. or not. Beliefs outside of those truths would of course be false by definition.

Now the second part, getting closer to him, assumes that he wants us there. Such a being would be the only person with the knowledge of how to do that, so only those he informed could show the way (or religion) to do so.

So to answer the original question, Yes, it is possible.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by docb77
Boy this is all over the place, let's try to actually answer the question that was put forth. Can any one religion be totally right?

What is a religion? If it's just a philosophy or way of living then no, There's good ways of living and bad, as long as you've got a good way you'll probably be fine... at least in this life.

If however Religion is more than that, the answer could be yes. If religion is instead the attempt for someone to draw nearer deity, or knowledge about deity, then there could actually be only a very few, possibly even one "true" religion.

Here's a list of assumptions that I think would have to be true for the question to be answered in the affirmative:

1- God exists (meaning a god, not necessarily the one we are all talking about)

2-God actually want's people to draw closer to Him(I say Him, but that's just because of my belief, not actually part of the assumption)

If those 2 things are true there is a definite set of facts that describe God. He is either corporeal or not, loving or not, omnipotent, omniscient, etc. or not. Beliefs outside of those truths would of course be false by definition.

Now the second part, getting closer to him, assumes that he wants us there. Such a being would be the only person with the knowledge of how to do that, so only those he informed could show the way (or religion) to do so.

So to answer the original question, Yes, it is possible.

If God wanted, God would be incomplete.

docb77
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
If God wanted, God would be incomplete.

True, but my post deliberately left out the nature of deity. Why couldn't a god be incomplete. The greek pantheon was sure wanting of a lot of stuff (not saying that religion was true, only that it was possible).

I was merely point to the possibility of only one religion being true.

Wesker
What kind of nonsense is that, Shak?

Punker69
There is no one "right" religion. There are numerous systems through which people relate to the sacred, giving meaning and order to life. It is up to each person to find their way, and it is abhorrent for anyone to push their own spiritual beliefs on another.

Sigh, thats foolish. What can be regared as "sacred" when each individual can create the sacred? I know that alot of people have their lifestyles and thats fine. But when it all comes down to it there is only ONE true religion or way of life and in the end whether you have found the right one is all that is going to matter.

Shakyamunison
True, but my post deliberately left out the nature of deity. Why couldn't a god be incomplete. The greek pantheon was sure wanting of a lot of stuff (not saying that religion was true, only that it was possible).

I was merely point to the possibility of only one religion being true.

It is the main flaw in Christianity. If God is omnipotent then God is perfect, and if God is perfect then God is complete. If God needs people to worship God, then God is not complete, perfect or omnipotent.

I was interjecting a point. No religion is all true, but all religions are true.

Punker69
It is the main flaw in Christianity. If God is omnipotent then God is perfect, and if God is perfect then God is complete. If God needs people to worship God, then God is not complete, perfect or omnipotent.

I was interjecting a point. No religion is all true, but all religions are true.

God didn't create us to worship him. He has the angels to do that. He created us with the sole purpose of having a relationship with us and for us to choose him over eveything else.

Saying "all religions are true" is stupid. Seeing as how virtually all of them contradict one another at some point.

Wesker
Originally posted by Punker69
Sigh, thats foolish. What can be regared as "sacred" when each individual can create the sacred? I know that alot of people have their lifestyles and thats fine. But when it all comes down to it there is only ONE true religion or way of life and in the end whether you have found the right one is all that is going to matter.

Anyone who sighs in their online forum posts strikes me as being overly dramatic and full of themselves.

Anyways on religion:

Here's the Wiki definition since Dictionary.com is being a total pain in the ass.

Religion is commonly defined as a group of beliefs concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the moral codes, practices, values, institutions and rituals associated with such belief. It is sometimes used interchangeably with "faith" or "belief system." In the course of the development of religion, it has taken many forms in various cultures and individuals.

You could always hope that a group of beliefs matches the exact way that reality, God, the afterlife, and so on really is, but the chances of that happening are pretty damn low. You'd have a better chance leaping out of a train in Ohio and landing on a boat in Norway with no stops in between. Especially given how complex and widely interpreted most religious works are, it's hard to believe any good be all true.

Punker69
Originally posted by Wesker
Anyone who sighs in their online forum posts strikes me as being overly dramatic and full of themselves.

Anyways on religion:

Here's the Wiki definition since Dictionary.com is being a total pain in the ass.

Religion is commonly defined as a group of beliefs concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the moral codes, practices, values, institutions and rituals associated with such belief. It is sometimes used interchangeably with "faith" or "belief system." In the course of the development of religion, it has taken many forms in various cultures and individuals.

You could always hope that a group of beliefs matches the exact way that reality, God, the afterlife, and so on really is, but the chances of that happening are pretty damn low. You'd have a better chance leaping out of a train in Ohio and landing on a boat in Norway with no stops in between. Especially given how complex and widely interpreted most religious works are, it's hard to believe any good be all true.

"Over dramatic"? Are you serious? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Anyways, take a leap and pick one religion. But dont say all religions are true and what not because its not all true. If anything there is only ONE true faith and religion. Dont try and pass it off by saying ,whatever fits your needs, and such.

There is only one one true way of life. Whether you like it or not.

Wesker
I was suggesting one could say all religions are not true, or that the ones in place now or to be thought up are very likely not to be true in any or perhaps all aspects, so why believe in any? Why limit yourself to preconceived moral and spiritual beliefs and codes when you can find your own philosophical bent and discover your own moral code?

docb77
That's also true, by my previous assumptions... If God never revealed himself then it could be that no religion is true.

I have to agree that it's impossible for all religions to be right. You can't have Brahma and the judeo-christian God. There can't be both the biblical concepts of resurrection and heaven and the easter concept of reincarnation and nirvana. You can't have many opposing beliefs even within just Christianity all be true.

The way I see it is if we assume the existence of God. Then it's either one true religion or no true religion. I'm betting on God's existence (makes sense, look up pascal's wager if you don't think so). So out of all the religions, I'll just have to take my chances with the one I think is right.

Shakyamunison
That's also true, by my previous assumptions... If God never revealed himself then it could be that no religion is true.

I have to agree that it's impossible for all religions to be right. You can't have Brahma and the judeo-christian God. There can't be both the biblical concepts of resurrection and heaven and the easter concept of reincarnation and nirvana. You can't have many opposing beliefs even within just Christianity all be true.

The way I see it is if we assume the existence of God. Then it's either one true religion or no true religion. I'm betting on God's existence (makes sense, look up pascal's wager if you don't think so). So out of all the religions, I'll just have to take my chances with the one I think is right.

You are not thinking clearly. All religions are true but not completely true. Have you ever heard the story of the 6 blind men and the elephant?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389426&perpage=20&highlight=elephant&pagenumber=4

xyz revolution
Originally posted by Imlistening
can any single religion be the true religion, i mean they have no evidence that the others are wrong, especially when they don't have any real proof that they are right. they're all bullshit. Just ignore them.

Well maybe Scientology n Atheism.

xyz revolution
well, all religion is trying to do is help you be a better person.

debbiejo
God didn't create us to worship him. We don't have to worship him, That's not what scripture says. He is a jealous god.

Mindship
There is no one true faith, but any faith can be distorted/corrupted (a sure sign being when it says "I am the one true faith"wink, and I also suspect that there are plenty of fake religions.

Punker69
Originally posted by debbiejo
We don't have to worship him, That's not what scripture says. He is a jealous god.

Your putting words in my mouth. I didn't say we dont have to worship him. I said that thats not why he created us. He created us for the sole purpose of having a relationship with us and for us to choose him over everything else.

The scripture was directed at different Gods. God said he is a jealous God and the worship we do give him is to aimed at him and no one else.

debbiejo
^^So, he's needy then for our acceptance, honor, and worship.

Many religions/denominations feel theirs is the correct ones though...They all call themselves the True church. There are too many to list. Not just cults, but many denominations such as Baptists (You have to be baptised or else), Pentecostals (you have to be spirit filled), SDA (you have to keep some OT laws), Catholics (you must go through the rituals). ..I say beware of churches that point their fingers at others with condemnation.

Punker69

Many religions/denominations feel theirs is the correct ones though...They all call themselves the True church. There are too many to list. Not just cults, but many denominations such as Baptists (You have to be baptised or else), Pentecostals (you have to be spirit filled), SDA (you have to keep some OT laws), Catholics (you must go through the rituals). ..I say beware of churches that point their fingers at others with condemnation.

He's not needy. He's given us so much and all he ask in return is that we give him the same love and admiration that he's given us.

Look, there is only one true religion. And in that religion your going to find just condemnation on unbelievers. Whether that lifestyle is athiest or Pentecostal. In the end there is only going to be one that matters.

leonheartmm
bull. hes given us NOTHING, n he asks more in return than you wanna admit. its ok though, its mostly false anyway.

Punker69
Originally posted by leonheartmm
bull. hes given us NOTHING, n he asks more in return than you wanna admit. its ok though, its mostly false anyway.

Ok, since your first two sentences give the hypothetical that there is a God lets expand. It's because of him your are breathing this instant, because of him you have a place to sleep and eat. Its because of him you have the cloths on your back. And its because of him you get to indulge in the priveledge of heaven if you just choose to living according to his word until the day that you die.

docb77

HaHa... See that's what I was talking about earlier. Blue is blue, red is red, red is not blue.

If God does require baptism to get into heaven then any religion that denies it is wrong. If you do need to be filled with the spirit then the pentecostals are at least that much right. If you have to keep those particular OT laws then the SDA have at least that much truth. If the catholics are right about their traditions then that's the truth and anything that contradicts it is false.

You just can't have it both ways. Either a doctrine is correct or not. There is no in between. (notice I said nothing about whether the entire set of doctrines were true) In order for there to be one true church/religion all of their doctrines would have to be true. Only way I can think of for that to happen is if God actually explained it to someone. Barring that I don't think it likely any church would have the complete "truth", but it is likely that most would have at least some of it.

docb77
You are not thinking clearly. All religions are true but not completely true. Have you ever heard the story of the 6 blind men and the elephant?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389426&perpage=20&highlight=elephant&pagenumber=4

That's a good story, and it actually illustrates what I said in my last post. Each of those men had part of the truth. None of them had the whole picture. If a sighted man could explain to them the whole thing, the might be able to get the big picture.

Madacapa
"Oh my God..."
"Not God, Zod."

Storm
And what religion is the right religion?

debbiejo
There is no right one because they all think they're right. reading

docb77
Quote from southpark:

"I'm afraid it was the mormons. The mormons is the correct answer."

cool

-edit-

it's just not as funny without the accent the guy used on Southpark.

Punker69
And what religion is the right religion?

I believe its Oneness Pentecostal. Thats my belief. But what I believe isn't the point. The point is all religions cant possibly be correct because most if not all of them have their own rules and such against the other religons out there. They cant all be the safe when they contradict each other so greatly.

debbiejo
I believe its Oneness Pentecostal. Thats my belief. But what I believe isn't the point. The point is all religions cant possibly be correct because most if not all of them have their own rules and such against the other religons out there. They cant all be the safe when they contradict each other so greatly. Just as the Pentecostal contridicts. How do you know that's the correct one.

docb77
There's only one real way to know which church is the true church....

God has to actually and in reality tell you!

Logic doesn't cut it or there'd be a whole lot fewer religions. Come to think of it, logic alone can't prove God either. He's in control of all the evidence on that one, and the only way to know that there is a God is if he shares.

If God hasn't actually told you, you just have to live the best you can and make your best guess. Oh, but keep looking for more proof, it'd be stupid not to.

Shakyamunison

Logic doesn't cut it or there'd be a whole lot fewer religions. Come to think of it, logic alone can't prove God either. He's in control of all the evidence on that one, and the only way to know that there is a God is if he shares.

If God hasn't actually told you, you just have to live the best you can and make your best guess. Oh, but keep looking for more proof, it'd be stupid not to.

The first logical thing to do is stop calling God him. Next read a book: The Power of Myth is a good one to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385418868/102-3191858-2188119?v=glance&n=283155

docb77
Except that we're not talking about myths. We're concerned with facts. Unknown facts true, but facts nevertheless.

And I already made the disclaimer about calling God him. I've got my beliefs as well. If God is going to tell anyone something, it would indicate a personality. I see no reason not to go with the traditional masculine in this respect.

apoc001
My opinion, because I'm a part of a religion and I'm biased, is that there is only one true gospel, but there are others that do come close to it. But that doesn't mean that that religion would go to Heaven and everyone else would burn in Hell, because religion isn't always the determining factor. If you're righteous anyway, you'll still go to Heaven, but not with as much glory as you would receive if you were a faithful member. Shoot me down if you want, but that's what I believe.

Shakyamunison

docb77

Shakyamunison
First you say that there is truth in myths, then you say I need to get away from the "myth" of christianity?

Seriously though, I meant what I said, I'm not looking for truth covered by legend and myth. I want the real deal. As I've posted before, the Existence of Deity is either true or false. Also true or false is whether Deity is male or not.

I said it as a joke with the southpark thing, but I actually am LDS. I was completely serious with the God telling you what he desires for you. And before you tell me, no I don't think that that make him incomplete. I believe that God is the Father of our spirits. He's perfect, or in other words, complete, and he wants us to find our own perfection/completion.

We are getting stuck on words. I'm just telling you to think outside the box.

docb77
thanks, and I'll admit, I have studied some eastern religions (you said you were hindu right?) and they definitely have some things that I like, I've even tried to apply some of them in my life. But like I said in an earlier post, I think that many religions have some truth. What I want is the whole shebang.

Shakyamunison
thanks, and I'll admit, I have studied some eastern religions (you said you were hindu right?) and they definitely have some things that I like, I've even tried to apply some of them in my life. But like I said in an earlier post, I think that many religions have some truth. What I want is the whole shebang.

I'm a Buddhist, but I used to be a Christian.

debbiejo

If God hasn't actually told you, you just have to live the best you can and make your best guess. Oh, but keep looking for more proof, it'd be stupid not to. The problem is that people/leaders in the church say god is telling them god told them that they are in the true church. All the churches say that. So, maybe we need an audible voice with lots of witnesses, camera, video...etc.

docb77
The problem is that people/leaders in the church say god is telling them god told them that they are in the true church. All the churches say that. So, maybe we need an audible voice with lots of witnesses, camera, video...etc.

Nah, that's only if you want to prove it to others. For yourself, it's only you that needs to hear it.

As far as witnesses go, I suppose most of them are dead (meaning no cross-examinations unfortunately), but there are a ton in the scriptures.

-edit-

I suppose those witnesses don't actually go to the topic at hand, but rather the existence of God.

Punker69
The problem is that people/leaders in the church say god is telling them god told them that they are in the true church. All the churches say that. So, maybe we need an audible voice with lots of witnesses, camera, video...etc.

Since your so unprone to blind faith why dont you ask God? Just seriously tell God that in order fot you to believe in him you need a sign. And that if he gives you one you'll truly submit your life to him.See what happens. I dare you.

Punker69
Originally posted by apoc001
My opinion, because I'm a part of a religion and I'm biased, is that there is only one true gospel, but there are others that do come close to it. But that doesn't mean that that religion would go to Heaven and everyone else would burn in Hell, because religion isn't always the determining factor. If you're righteous anyway, you'll still go to Heaven, but not with as much glory as you would receive if you were a faithful member. Shoot me down if you want, but that's what I believe.

Are you talking about beliefs of other religions or Christian beliefs? If your talking about Christianity your sadly mistaken.

docb77
Are you talking about beliefs of other religions or Christian beliefs? If your talking about Christianity your sadly mistaken.

elaborate.

Punker69
What do you mean. Tell more?

docb77
exactly, what's here mistake? How does the statement you were referring to apply differently to christianity as opposed to other religions.

Punker69
Well I dont understand. Are you coming from a Christian point of view
or not?

docb77
I'm Christian, but I like to look outside the box too.

Punker69
Ok. Im just talking to you right now. Biblically everone who doesn't profess the name of Jesus Christ, Hasn't been bor again of the water and the spirit, live a righteous and seperate lifestyle WILL NOT enter the kingdom of heaven AND WILL burn in hell.

If you dont understand that. Your either A. Stupid B. You just dont read your Bible. But even though its common sense among any Christian your still stupid and igorant.

Seriously, dont try to re-write the Bible and tell which people and what people aren't and are going to heaven. I can answer your questions Biblically. Show me one scripture that states that someone who doesn't profess believe in God follow everything else I stated in the first paragraph will enter into the kingdom of heaven. Show me the scripture where Jesus tells everyone that they can be ignorant to his word and message and still not face the punishment.

finti
guess it takes one to know one .
You just distance yourself from being a true christian with all this laughable condeming of yours, so either
a: you read the bible and dont get the grasp of its context at all
b: your nothing but a stupid ignorant git

The Disagreer
The true religion has no structure and does not exist here on earth and never will until the return of Christ Jesus. Whoever professes that Jesus is Lord and believes in his heart that he was risen from the dead will be accepted into heaven. Jesus is the the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through him.

docb77
Ok. Im just talking to you right now. Biblically everone who doesn't profess the name of Jesus Christ, Hasn't been bor again of the water and the spirit, live a righteous and seperate lifestyle WILL NOT enter the kingdom of heaven AND WILL burn in hell.

If you dont understand that. Your either A. Stupid B. You just dont read your Bible. But even though its common sense among any Christian your still stupid and igorant.

Seriously, dont try to re-write the Bible and tell which people and what people aren't and are going to heaven. I can answer your questions Biblically. Show me one scripture that states that someone who doesn't profess believe in God follow everything else I stated in the first paragraph will enter into the kingdom of heaven. Show me the scripture where Jesus tells everyone that they can be ignorant to his word and message and still not face the punishment.

Sheesh, all I did was ask that you elaborate on a short statement you made earlier. No need to start tossing around insults. And of course ignorance is no excuse. But I think you'll find if you read the whole bible that the atonement does provide some wiggle room. God is just after all, and it wouldn't really be right to sentence someone to hell just because they never heard of Christ. Read Peter's epistles and tell me what you think. Boy did I go off topic there.

Originally posted by The Disagreer
The true religion has no structure and does not exist here on earth and never will until the return of Christ Jesus. Whoever professes that Jesus is Lord and believes in his heart that he was risen from the dead will be accepted into heaven. Jesus is the the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through him.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on the no structure thing. The not existing on earth thing too, come to think of it. I'm surprised you made the first claim since you're apparently christian. Ephesians 2 ring a bell? The second claim that it's not on the earth is understandable, but surely God can reveal his truth here as well as there.

The Disagreer
I may have worded it wrong, but what I menat to say is that no one demonination is entirely correct. Christianity is based on a personal relationship with Jesus Christ not in the structure of a church. Jesus created the church to help spread his truths and strengthen the resolve of Christians through true fellowship until his second coming. As was in Israel before the people demanded a king, God wants us to be ruled by him (The Holy Spirit) alone, not the dictates of legalism and the whims of man.

Punker69
Originally posted by finti
guess it takes one to know one .
You just distance yourself from being a true christian with all this laughable condeming of yours, so either
a: you read the bible and dont get the grasp of its context at all
b: your nothing but a stupid ignorant git

I only condemn people when I have biblical means to do so. Someones try to promote a Christian belief that isn't biblical im going to call them on it. So yeah. I dont appreciate people trying to pass on these totally ridiculous spins on the Bible. So if you believe that garbage there's only two things you can be. An ignorant person who doesn't read the Bible or just stupid. Its a fact because all this information is before someone who just simply reads the Bible.

You need to learn the difference between telling someone they're scripturally wrong and condemning them.

Punker69

Black Rob
can any single religion be the true religion, i mean they have no evidence that the others are wrong, especially when they don't have any real proof that they are right. asking religious people for evidence is laughable. Their reason for dismissing other religions is faith in their random religion

docb77
Originally posted by Black Rob
asking religious people for evidence is laughable. Their reason for dismissing other religions is faith in their random religion

Although in general I agree with you that many reject other religions based on nothing more than blind faith or family tradition (I think it's tradition as much as anything for many people), I do allow that it's possible that some people can actually know. God can concievably talk to some people for whatever reason and let them know. A person who had recieved such a communication and had rejected other religions would be completely justified in doing such.

Black Rob
Although in general I agree with you that many reject other religions based on nothing more than blind faith or family tradition (I think it's tradition as much as anything for many people), I do allow that it's possible that some people can actually know. God can concievably talk to some people for whatever reason and let them know. A person who had recieved such a communication and had rejected other religions would be completely justified in doing such. i see your point

Punker69
Although in general I agree with you that many reject other religions based on nothing more than blind faith or family tradition

Its also because the Bible (that book we follow) tells us to as well.

debbiejo
Its also because the Bible (that book we follow) tells us to as well. Not necessary, it's the doctrine of your belief. Because all churches say the follow the Bible, yet they are all different, it's the interpretation of the bible which means your church doctrine. Just as an example of predestination...both kinds of Scriptures pro and con can be found in the bible. Also Baptism of infants or is it only as adults? Which day to worship.....etc.

Blue nocturne
Not necessary, it's the doctrine of your belief. Because all churches say the follow the Bible, yet they are all different, it's the interpretation of the bible which means your church doctrine. Just as an example of predestination...both kinds of Scriptures pro and con can be found in the bible. Also Baptism of infants or is it only as adults? Which day to worship.....etc.

I agree you have to remember many scriptures were left out of the biblical canon.

debbiejo
Yep! Many whole writings indeed.

Black Rob
Originally posted by Blue nocturne
I agree you have to remember many scriptures were left out of the biblical canon. or changed to be more palettable to the masses

debbiejo
Edited for sure, but one they forgot to change in the OT....Where god is called "The SUN of Righteousness"......not SON.....Sun worship was popular back then too.

Punker69
Not necessary, it's the doctrine of your belief. Because all churches say the follow the Bible, yet they are all different, it's the interpretation of the bible which means your church doctrine. Just as an example of predestination...both kinds of Scriptures pro and con can be found in the bible. Also Baptism of infants or is it only as adults? Which day to worship.....etc.

I interpret scriptures correctly. Like I said there is only ONE way to interpret scriptures when it comes to doctrine. I've interpreted them correctly. What do you mean which day to worship. People worship everyday.

Adults or a little older than a newborn because baptism is a conscience descision made between you and the lord. Someone so young cannot be baptized and realize the significance of what they're doing. Baptism isn't a small thing to be tooken lightly.

Instead we dedicate babies to the Lord when they are newborn.

debbiejo
I interpret scriptures correctly. . Of course you're going to say you interpret the Scriptures correctly, all churches say this, I wouldn't of expected anything differently from you. So, what is your stance on predestination?...This is a biggy. And so speaking in the spirit, is that a proof of your salvation, just curious.....I also know about dedications of babies, which is similar to bring the child into gods covenate, so truly it is much the same, only one is being done with water.

How do you know for possitive sure, that you're church isn't the false church.?

docb77
I sense that this thread may get ugly. If we start talking about which church is right there will likely be hard feelings. That's why I've tried to stick to just that a single church can be right.

Shakyamunison
I sense that this thread may get ugly. If we start talking about which church is right there will likely be hard feelings. That's why I've tried to stick to just that a single church can be right.

It's worse than that, if you say that all the churches are true, there will likely be hard feelings as well.

Christians? roll eyes (sarcastic) you can't please them.

debbiejo
Christians? roll eyes (sarcastic) you can't please them. laughing out loud But you can live without them..............Oops sorry.

Shakyamunison
laughing out loud But you can live without them..............Oops sorry.

Bad girl... you are a bad girl... stick out tongue

Punker69
Of course you're going to say you interpret the Scriptures correctly, all churches say this, I wouldn't of expected anything differently from you. So, what is your stance on predestination?...This is a biggy. And so speaking in the spirit, is that a proof of your salvation, just curious.....I also know about dedications of babies, which is similar to bring the child into gods covenate, so truly it is much the same, only one is being done with water.

How do you know for possitive sure, that you're church isn't the false church.?

*sigh* I really dont feel like answering all those questions so im just gonna say that i've studied different forms of Christianity heard the debates proven them wrong with the word of God. Since it wasn't that hard I know my form of Christianity is the correct one. For this I would bet my life on.

Your underminding the water in baptism.

Shakyamunison
*sigh* I really dont feel like answering all those questions so im just gonna say that i've studied different forms of Christianity heard the debates proven them wrong with the word of God. Since it wasn't that hard I know my form of Christianity is the correct one. For this I would bet my life on.

Your underminding the water in baptism.

laughing You just proved Deb right. laughing

Wesker
Yeah, he did. It'd be like asking a liar if he's lying. "No!"

CaptainStoic
I more than likely won't be back to debate the topic, but there can only be one truth. If I told a non fictional story about whatever and it was the truth, that is where the discussion ends. There can only be one truth, not different versions of it, or it becomes hearsay. I have read the Bible on occasion and found that everything that I have read was true... what I mean by saying this is, when the Bible refers to the way people react to one another, I could not contest it, because it was right on the money. Some people believe in Allah, some believe in Jesus, others in Buhdah the list goes on, but still there can be only one truth. If you were to research the word Allah, you will find that it literally means god. I would like to show you something that dawned on me several years ago. I'll tell you what all of the words that I'm about to type have in common: God, Man, Father, Priest, Woman, Son, Holy Spirit, Allah, Doctor.... have you guessed yet? Well they are titles, none of them are names.
Hence if you were in a crowded room and someone shouted, Hey Man/Woman, I guarantee that the first thing that would enter your mind would be to ask yourself if they were calling you. Like I said there is only one truth. The Name Emmanuel litterally means God with us... do your self a favor, and research the word Christ, see what you come up with... here's another word to look up, Tetragrammaton... if you are wise you will find your answers.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The Word became flesh, and dwelt amongst us, and we knew him not.
Again I more than likely won't be back to debate this issue.

Black Rob
Originally posted by CaptainStoic
I more than likely won't be back to debate the topic, but there can only be one truth. If I told a non fictional story about whatever and it was the truth, that is where the discussion ends. There can only be one truth, not different versions of it, or it becomes hearsay. I have read the Bible on occasion and found that everything that I have read was true... what I mean by saying this is, when the Bible refers to the way people react to one another, I could not contest it, because it was right on the money. Some people believe in Allah, some believe in Jesus, others in Buhdah the list goes on, but still there can be only one truth. If you were to research the word Allah, you will find that it literally means god. I would like to show you something that dawned on me several years ago. I'll tell you what all of the words that I'm about to type have in common: God, Man, Father, Priest, Woman, Son, Holy Spirit, Allah, Doctor.... have you guessed yet? Well they are titles, none of them are names.
Hence if you were in a crowded room and someone shouted, Hey Man/Woman, I guarantee that the first thing that would enter your mind would be to ask yourself if they were calling you. Like I said there is only one truth. The Name Emmanuel litterally means God with us... do your self a favor, and research the word Christ, see what you come up with... here's another word to look up, Tetragrammaton... if you are wise you will find your answers.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The Word became flesh, and dwelt amongst us, and we knew him not.
Again I more than likely won't be back to debate this issue. while i like that you put thought into your article,it sounds like you based it entirely on your own view. What your saying is everything the bible says is true about humanity,that's an opinion for one. Remember that the bible is a collection of the minds of many people,so it's going to have a lot of good stories and morals that we can connect to.Second,don't you think that every single religious person in the whole world can "connect" their religion to the real world? Once again that's purely viewpoint. And about the whole God thing,do you think that just because the Christian god has the least inventive name he must be the true one? Once again just sounds more like a rationalization than actual proof

docb77
I think the main thing he was pointing out was that it doesn't matter how many "opinions" exist on a particular subject. If it's factual in nature (like the nature of deity) there can be only one truth. Many points of view perhaps, but still only one truth.

I've heard it said that truth is like a multifaceted gem. One person can look at it and see one facet, another would see a different facet. The question is what is the truth? what the people saw or the entire gem?

I also liked shaky's story about the elephant, I think that was in this thread. But again, it's the elephant that represents the truth, not the perceptions of those who examined it.

Captain Falcon
can any single religion be the true religion, i mean they have no evidence that the others are wrong, especially when they don't have any real proof that they are right. religion=faith. Faith differs from every person. I guess Buddhism is pretty good, but you can't have sex sad

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Captain Falcon
religion=faith. Faith differs from every person. I guess Buddhism is pretty good, but you can't have sex sad

Let's see; I'm a Buddhist and I have sex, so, you must be wrong. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Janus Marius
Isn't that the second time he made that claim and you refuted it?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Captain Falcon
religion=faith. Faith differs from every person. I guess Buddhism is pretty good, but you can't have sex sad Many people seem to say that............Shaky are you really having sex, or are you just telling us that.............hahahahahah. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Isn't that the second time he made that claim and you refuted it?

Yes, no one is going to take sex away from me. laughing

debbiejo
Well no ones trying to cut your hand off............lol roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
Well no ones trying to cut your hand off............lol roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

stick out tongue This thread is not about me. mad laughing

MARCMAN
How about this: Not all relagion can possibly be true as many of them have opposing thruth claims. Another way to look at it is that there either is a God or there is not or Jesus was God or he was not. Don't you see? Both claims cannot be true becasue a truth claim automaticaly excludes every other truth.

lil bitchiness
can any single religion be the true religion, i mean they have no evidence that the others are wrong, especially when they don't have any real proof that they are right.

Not really.

Since most, if not all religions have something in common with each other, either in message or practice, that would include them right as well, i would argue.

MARCMAN
I agree that some relegions share some of the same ideas yet when you look at the core differences one cannot clain both to be true

debbiejo
Religions have too many differentiating rules and interpretations. The only thing I see that they have in common is the belief in a Chief/head god. But still some don't even have that.

MARCMAN
Religions contradict each other; therefore, they cannot all be true.

Mormonism teaches that there are many gods in existence and that you can become a god. Christianity teaches that there is only one God and you cannot become a god. Islam teaches that Jesus is not God in flesh where Christianity does. Jesus cannot be both God and not God at the same time. Some religions teach that we reincarnate while others do not. Some teach there is a hell and others do not. They cannot all be true. If they cannot all be true, it cannot be true that all religions lead to God. Furthermore, it means that some religions are, at the very least, false in their claims to reveal the true God (or gods). Remember, truth does not contradict itself. If God exists, He will not institute mutually exclusive and contradictory belief systems in an attempt to get people to believe in Him. God is not the author of confusion. Therefore, it is reasonable to believe that there can be an absolute spiritual truth and that not all systems can be true regardless of whether or not they claim to be true. There must be more than a mere claim.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by MARCMAN
Religions contradict each other; therefore, they cannot all be true.

Mormonism teaches that there are many gods in existence and that you can become a god. Christianity teaches that there is only one God and you cannot become a god. Islam teaches that Jesus is not God in flesh where Christianity does. Jesus cannot be both God and not God at the same time. Some religions teach that we reincarnate while others do not. Some teach there is a hell and others do not. They cannot all be true. If they cannot all be true, it cannot be true that all religions lead to God. Furthermore, it means that some religions are, at the very least, false in their claims to reveal the true God (or gods). Remember, truth does not contradict itself. If God exists, He will not institute mutually exclusive and contradictory belief systems in an attempt to get people to believe in Him. God is not the author of confusion. Therefore, it is reasonable to believe that there can be an absolute spiritual truth and that not all systems can be true regardless of whether or not they claim to be true. There must be more than a mere claim.

Your logic is flawed, because you are using logic to understand mystic law. Mystic truth is beyond logic.

MARCMAN
What do you mean by Mystic truth?

Shakyamunison

debbiejo
Your logic is flawed, because you are using logic to understand mystic law. Mystic truth is beyond logic. Something mystical cannot be explained with logic is true.....It is way beyond us...Maybe someday we can understand....We are just beginning to, though in times past, in the ages of old, people used mysticism but never new why it would work and it was considered devices of the devil.

Shakyamunison
Something mystical cannot be explained with logic is true.....It is way beyond us...Maybe someday we can understand....We are just beginning to, though in times past, in the ages of old, people used mysticism but never new why it would work and it was considered devices of the devil.

That all depends on the side you were on. Christians used mystic truth all the time.

debbiejo
Yes, they are all the same power. They come from the same source..

docb77

Shakyamunison
Partially true, I do believe that there are multiple meanings in that story, and I am pretty sure I agree that Adam and eve weren't techinically alone. But I tend to throw mysticism out the window in actual debates. I can feel something, but I can't make someone else feel it too, if you understand me.

PS And off topic - According to a recent study I read (Science I think wish I could remember for sure), Mankind's most recent common ancestor lived less than 4,000 years ago. The most common ancestor for 2 random people of the same race lived less than 2,000 years ago. Not such a mystical truth anymore, eh? This was a genetics study based on mitochondrial DNA and Y chromosome mutation as I recall.

I know about the study, but there is a problem with the way you are interpreting the information. When we look at genetics, we look at the descendants of the survivors. There are no descendants of the family lines that died out, so those genetic lines are not represented in the study.

If we looked at the descendants of the people who were on the Titanic, we would come to the conclusion that there was only a small number of people on that boat when it went down.

docb77
I know about the study, but there is a problem with the way you are interpreting the information. When we look at genetics, we look at the descendants of the survivors. There are no descendants of the family lines that died out, so those genetic lines are not represented in the study.

If we looked at the descendants of the people who were on the Titanic, we would come to the conclusion that there was only a small number of people on that boat when it went down.

Yes, but the reason I brought the study up was to show that it is not only possible, but likely that all the variation we have in the human race came from only a small number of people. A real Adam and Eve are a possibility.

And to bring it back to the topic - Some religions interpret it as a literal story, some say it's only symbolic. Both can't be right. One or none are the only choices.

Shakyamunison
Yes, but the reason I brought the study up was to show that it is not only possible, but likely that all the variation we have in the human race came from only a small number of people. A real Adam and Eve are a possibility.

And to bring it back to the topic - Some religions interpret it as a literal story, some say it's only symbolic. Both can't be right. One or none are the only choices.

Are you so sure that there isn't another choice?

docb77
Yep, it's like a true/false test. Somewhere out there is the master key and in order to be the right religion you need a perfect score - 100%. I think most religions get B's and C's. The true church has to be an A++. Is it possible for more than one church to get a perfect score? Possible I suppose, but wouldn't that make those two organization really identical - they'd have to recognize each other since that's on the test.

In other words, since religion is a set of answers, there is only one master key!

Shakyamunison
Yep, it's like a true/false test. Somewhere out there is the master key and in order to be the right religion you need a perfect score - 100%. I think most religions get B's and C's. The true church has to be an A++. Is it possible for more than one church to get a perfect score? Possible I suppose, but wouldn't that make those two organization really identical - they'd have to recognize each other since that's on the test.

In other words, since religion is a set of answers, there is only one master key!

Come on... roll eyes (sarcastic) There is no absolute truth that we humans can ever understand.

Arachnoidfreak
Come on... roll eyes (sarcastic) There is no absolute truth that we humans can ever understand.

Yes, yes there is.

This absolute truth is that...

Gary Coleman is a midget.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
Yes, yes there is.

This absolute truth is that...

Gary Coleman is a midget.

Ya, but no one can understand that.

Just like why does whob use Gary Coleman's photo. It's beyond us. big grin

Arachnoidfreak
Pfft, I understand it.

I must be a genius.

Or better yet, the Son of GOD

OMGWTFpwnd no expression

docb77

Hey, I made no claims about understanding it, only about it existing.

The truth is the truth whether we understand it or not.

Shakyamunison
Hey, I made no claims about understanding it, only about it existing.

The truth is the truth whether we understand it or not.

But no religion can ever get a perfect score.

debbiejo
I don't think we can really know all of what the truth is, but only what we experience and make real......we are creators ourselves to some point.

Soleran
I don't think we can really know all of what the truth is, but only what we experience and make real......we are creators ourselves to some point.

lol we don't even need experience to make it real just a vivid enough imagination.

debbiejo
Well that is part of the creation process ya know.....That's were it all starts........It's all in our heads...... no expression .....lol

Soleran
Well that is part of the creation process ya know.....That's were it all starts........It's all in our heads...... no expression .....lol

wait is this some collective of religions, do mine eyes doth decieve me did you say our heads?

Debbiejo we may have similar ideas but you aren't allowed into my head sorry I draw the line there! wink

debbiejo
blink laughing out loud All of our heads.........Every bodies heads.........god, that sounds weird........lol

docb77
But no religion can ever get a perfect score.

Sure it can. It just has to have acess to the Teacher.

Great Vengeance
All religions are false.

docb77
Originally posted by Great Vengeance
All religions are false.

The thread only asked if it was possible for only one religion to be true. I think we've covered that. As for statements like this that have zero support.... who cares.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>