Whats Scientology?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

X-Woman
I never knew and its all over the news with Katie Holmes converting...

WindDancer
Scientology is basically the ideas, philosophy, and thoughts of L. Ron Hubbard. You can read more about him here (a non-scientologist site)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

cking
it is just a man made religion.

DigiMark007
Yeah, science fiction writer turned philosopher L. Ron Hubbard started it as a series of self-improvement techniques (both spiritual and practical) and eventually it grew into a full-fledged religion. Their main goal is (like most religions) simply an improvement on human life, but they have some odd beliefs ("Upper level" teachings include something about an intergalactic warlord corrupting souls...more like stuff from Hubbard's fiction novels than any real religion).

But Tom Cruise believe in it, so it MUST be true!

-DM

mr.smiley
It's very scary.

X-Woman
Interesting...

finti
just like all religions then

X-Woman
well, i guess it depends on what u believe in.

markie
Originally posted by cking
it is just a man made religion. It's more like a pick your own religion type thing. I went to a "church" of scientolofy once to get a oersonality test checked that they sent out in the mail. I was mainly curious about the church so I took it, She said whatever you believe is right and they don't do church like stuff.
You can make yourself a god if you want. That's not what I would call a religion. but that's what they call it. It's like a lack uf religion.

finti
its a business corporation more than anything else

DigiMark007
Yeah, I took that quiz online...and these dudes kept hounding me to come in and talk about it. Sounded more like telemarketers than holy-men.

-DM

debbiejo
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Yeah, I took that quiz online...and these dudes kept hounding me to come in and talk about it. Sounded more like telemarketers than holy-men.

-DM

They had a quiz huh???? Well I'll make sure not to take it.

mr.smiley
Tom Cruise was on TV talking about it today.

X-Woman
I saw that. He was getting all mad that no one understood anything about the past of medication?

ZoSo
On Wikipedia, type up "Scientology" or "Christian Science" in the Search Bar as well. A good read, if a scary one.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by debbiejo
They had a quiz huh???? Well I'll make sure not to take it.

Yeah. It was on their website, supposedly free with no strings attached, and I didn't even give them my real name and stuff. Apparently from my email alone (since I had to have that correct so they'd send me the results of the personality test) they found out my name and phone number. Creepy stuff.

Now they won't stop sending me emails, and someone tried to call me. And on top of that, the 'test' said I was pretty much entirely messed up and needed "Immediate attention" in many areas of my life. Not a great way to make a first impression..."Hello sir, we're here to stalk you since nothing about your life is good." It's a wonder anyone joins

-DM

debbiejo
Yeah. It was on their website, supposedly free with no strings attached, and I didn't even give them my real name and stuff. Apparently from my email alone (since I had to have that correct so they'd send me the results of the personality test) they found out my name and phone number. Creepy stuff.

Now they won't stop sending me emails, and someone tried to call me. And on top of that, the 'test' said I was pretty much entirely messed up and needed "Immediate attention" in many areas of my life. Not a great way to make a first impression..."Hello sir, we're here to stalk you since nothing about your life is good." It's a wonder anyone joins

-DM

Well you are messed up.... big grin ....They have to say that to be able to HELP you....

That is scary...calling you even....my number is unlisted...I'm not doin the test anyway....I'll learn from your mistake. smile

ZoSo
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well you are messed up.... big grin ....They have to say that to be able to HELP you....

That is scary...calling you even....my number is unlisted...I'm not doin the test anyway....I'll learn from your mistake. smile

I told a friend of mine to do it. stick out tongue

cking
it is just one of Satan's lies to deceive people from the truth of Christ.

finti
not anymore than the baptist are

cking
no, the Scientology religion is from the new age religion when all pagan religions and other churches that don't stick with the word will merge together to become one religion and it will be called mystery Babylon religion mentioned in revelations and the Antichrist leader will sponsor this. Satan can twist the gospel in churches and make people preach false teachings but we must stand up and say what the bible says and throw away this false teaching the evil one has stirred up.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by cking
no, the Scientology religion is from the new age religion when all pagan religions and other churches that don't stick with the word will merge together to become one religion and it will be called mystery Babylon religion mentioned in revelations and the Antichrist leader will sponsor this. Satan can twist the gospel in churches and make people preach false teachings but we must stand up and say what the bible says and throw away this false teaching the evil one has stirred up.

A one world Church?Sounds like what the Christians are trying to do with missionaries.They don't even worship like back in the old day.Imo,if revelations is true,then it is Christians who have twisted the word and will be punished.

Imperial_Samura
I never did like Hubbard's books, not a very good sci-fi writer, not really sure he did much better as a Church leader. It is interesting how appealing Scientology is to wealthy groups, movie stars and the like, but then there have been claims it is more a club for the rich and influential. But then I won't say there is anything wrong with that, peoples beliefs are their own, but it's never seemed to have more validity to me then any other religion, in fact it often seems to have less.

debbiejo
Originally posted by mr.smiley
A one world Church?Sounds like what the Christians are trying to do with missionaries.They don't even worship like back in the old day.Imo,if revelations is true,then it is Christians who have twisted the word and will be punished.

Now wouldn't that be a twist...I wondered about that with revelations myself.

mr.smiley
Sounds possible to me.Look how much the Church has changed.

debbiejo
Well when it says come out of babylon and the church IS built on babylon, then it must be the organized church...doesn't it seem so?

cking
actually some Christian churches and all religions will join into this new Babylon religion.

manjaro

finti
and this is worse than any religious believs how

manjaro
also i forgot to add that when new members join up they have to go thru extensive interviewing(auditing) where they have to divulge every single embarrassing, humilitating, regretable detail of thier personal lives, which they keep on file just in case you leave the church and want to talk bad about them, they'll use it against you........thats just genius!

manjaro
Originally posted by finti
and this is worse than any religious believs how

well.... embarrasment ..um...becuase....most religions werent created by a guy who writes science fiction, who based the reilgion on his writings....and the fact that im just picking on scientiology right now...who knows who'll be next

finti
well I find the bible the koran and the torah to be science fiction so............ and they were very much started by basing their religion on the the writers of it. Guess the Scientologist just honor that tradition

whirlysplat
Oh LRon was a marvel big grin He ripped so many people off big grin

manjaro
yeah but at least those tomes are from thousands of years ago...ergo being more likely to be accepted on faith cuz no ones around to verify if any of those fantastic things took place. but we can look back into 50 years ago and see that some guy who was strpped for cash and a failed hollywood screen witer and novelist just said hhmmmm...i'll start my own religion and have ppl flock to me in droves*greedily rubbing his hands together like mister burns*

finti
so if you dont see it it makes it more plausible. But the Scientologist says these events happened before the jurasic periods so...................

debbiejo
I've been in their reading room before....just couldn't stop myself....
Oh, heck, I go everywhere....I'd go in a mosque too, if there was one closer....

But hey, there are 1000's of Christian and Cult religions...what's one more...people are such followers....

Shakyamunison
What I've heard is; good information that works for some people, but it costs a lot of money to go through the hole program. I don't know this, just heard it.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
What I've heard is; good information that works for some people, but it costs a lot of money to go through the hole program. I don't know this, just heard it.

I don't know much about them.....I thought though that they believed in no doctors....I thought there was a court case about a kids who died or was dying and the parents wouldn't take him to the hospital....can't remember.

whirlysplat
Did you know Scientoligist pay for "Wisdom" to get the top level it ens up costing a bout a hundred thousand dollars, and then you hear about Aliens and a f.ck.ng volcano confused

debbiejo
Originally posted by whirlysplat
Did you know Scientoligist pay for "Wisdom" to get the top level it ens up costing a bout a hundred thousand dollars, and then you hear about Aliens and a f.ck.ng volcano confused

Aliens.... laughing out loud

Well the Catholic church has you pay to get out of hell or purgatory with their Masses.....You pay...they pray...

manjaro
unlike other religions these folks dont believe in spreading the good news....cuz then it would have to be for free, and they cant have thatbig grin

Atlantis001
People stupid enough to enter for these religions do deserve what they get !

debbiejo
Originally posted by Atlantis001
People stupid enough to enter for these religions do deserve what they get !

Yes...But some people just feel a need to belong to something....and the tighter and more restrictive it is....the more they feel the bonds with each other...like most cults...

Atlantis001

Darth Jello
I feel it's time to revive this thread to do recent events. Scientology is a dangerous cult that is banned in many countries. Financial exploitation, brainwashing, kidnapping, and murder shouldn't be accepted as religious practices in the 21st century

Mindship
Some of the basics in scientology are taken from the perennial philosophy and therefore IMO legit (Hubbard, like Icke and others, was apparently well-versed in mystical/esoteric literature). But these basics are then utterly distorted and become lost in the dribble added to make scientology appealing to a modern audience raised on scifi, aliens and whatnot.

kanis
vampire Its just pure rubbish, i don't think it is an religion in the sense its more of a cult than something like believing in god.

Hit_and_Miss
Religion shouldn't cost an arm and a leg... If I go to mass I don't have to donate... But If I did and gave a pound at both times I've given 2 pounds total... where as scientiology charges £50+, and doesn't teach untill you pay... why do they need that much money???

kanis
vampire I don't know but they shouldn't when they have two extremely rich film stars as members, maybe people join because they need something to believe in except for god, i believe in aliens but i wouldn't join them.

Hit_and_Miss
Best I heard was that they don't believe women should scream when they give birth to there children... As this screaming damages the baby... so all Scientology babys are born in silence...

debbiejo
What do they do? Tape your mouth up?????? no

leonheartmm
errrr werent JOHN TRAVOLTA AND KELLY PRESTON also scientologists?! its only now im hearin of this ridiculous bullshit about what it actually is. i thought those people had more brains.

xyz revolution

Darth Jello
a lot of the celebrity pioneers of scientology i think can be classified as victims. Even Tom Cruise wasn't that hardcore about it until he disappear for a week, then reappeared emaciated, bruised, and pale with a new appreciation for his "faith".

Wesker
Scientology is a creepy ass cult.

Mindship
The appeal is the word: "Scientology." Or, "Scientologist." Cool words. To know about knowing.

What a waste.

Darth Jello
The other lure i can think of is a fairly honest claim that psychology and psychoactive drugs are an exploitative industry....kinda like scientology.

lancethebrave
Scientology is the "Study of Knowledge or Truth" the idea of scientology that was posted at first is the idea that was shown in an episode of South Park... if you simply google this subject you fill find that it is much different and that a Thetan is from after the greek letter Theta which was the symbol for thought and life, which Mr. Hubbard found to be a more suitable word than "soul" as soul has branched out to more than it used to be, also a Thetan is the Person them self and not the body nor the name the actual entity that we would refer to as a soul, now he also "found" that there are multiple levels of these Thetans which is the measure of how many "Thetans" can live free from your skin, such as those with tremendous spiritual connection have a higher Thetan level, also it says that one can become what they wish if they believe that they can, such as stop a bullet which is... simply... odd if you may and honestly it isn't smart if you think you can do that... which sounds a bit like the Matrix, also it consists of 8 urges which are the urges of survival, which includes our reaction to life endangerment why we are... "addicted" to sex and the like... also you will find that the personality tests cost $500+ but is offered free on the official website...$500 is rather... incredibly... rediculous

kanis
nerd I heard somewhere that their wives when they are having a baby can't scream out like someone posted or have any relief drugs as well, god Katie is screwed.

Makedde

Crimson Phoenix
Just found a list of celebrity scientologists on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scientologists

There's a shitload of them. Its a bit worrying

Wesker
Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix
Just found a list of celebrity scientologists on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scientologists

There's a shitload of them. Its a bit worrying

Celebrities have a history of bad decisions... drugs, alcohol, loose women... Hell, look at Madonna... she preaches the Kabbal and slept with Vanilla Ice.

crazy
I have respect for all religions, but Scientology isn't a religion, it is some horseshit.

A Reader's Digest article of May 1980 quoted Hubbard as saying in the 1940s "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

Swanky-Tuna
BECK is a scientologist?! I seriously did not see that one coming. I thought he'd be the type to say music is his religion or something while cranking out a song on junkyard instruments a la Fat Albert.

AOR
Originally posted by manjaro

i know we got freedom of religion and all but why do we allow these bastards to continue??

Because everyone's too worried about attacking Christianity...

Black Rob

finti
besides being ridiculouse ways of belifs you mean

Black Rob
Originally posted by finti
besides being ridiculouse ways of belifs you mean all beliefs can seem ridiculous to those who arent open to it. At one point,people use to say that Christianity was pure nonsense,now it's one of the most dominant religions

Darth Jello
The issue with scientology isn't it's ridiculousness, it's the fact that they use torture, kidnapping, murder, extortion, and lawsuits to push their beliefs on others

Evil Dead
well........they are technicly a religion, what else would you expect? Atleast they haven't started any crusades or jihads yet that I'm aware of.

Black Rob
Originally posted by Darth Jello
The issue with scientology isn't it's ridiculousness, it's the fact that they use torture, kidnapping, murder, extortion, and lawsuits to push their beliefs on others Hasn't every religion done that at some point in time?

kanis
vampire Its only about time that they decide to occupy an island and declare themselves independant.

Punker69

whobdamandog
I feel it's time to revive this thread to do recent events. Scientology is a dangerous cult that is banned in many countries. Financial exploitation, brainwashing, kidnapping, and murder shouldn't be accepted as religious practices in the 21st century

Edit: I thought this was another evolution thread. My mistake. I won't be posting in this thread again.

Darth Jello
and the fact that they're alternative to psychology is used to blackmail people that want to leave the movement.

Captain Falcon

Darth Jello
plus the founders of other faiths never molested children.

kanis
vampire While i was walking through the city of Sunderland i saw members of the scientology church doing the weird test with the rods.

Alliance
plus the founders of other faiths never molested children.

You know this how?

- - - - -

Scientology does a wonderful job of showing how easy it is to make up a religion and to get people to follow it.

Darth Jello
L. Ron Hubbard's arrest record

Nogoodnamesleft
Am I the only one here who thinks that this supposed "religion" is the biggest steaming pile of crap that ever fell out of Roseanne Barr's ass? Did anyone ever watch that episode of South Park that made fun of this bogus excuse for a religion? Seriously man, those retards actually believe in that shit. And then Isaac Hayes quit the show because it was making fun of his religion, even though he's helped South Park make fun of other religions, especially Christianity (and Mormonism, or the Mormonites, or whatever they're called).

Lumanix
Yes, you are.

JOE NUNEZ
Originally posted by Nogoodnamesleft
Am I the only one here who thinks that this supposed "religion" is the biggest steaming pile of crap that ever fell out of Roseanne Barr's ass? Did anyone ever watch that episode of South Park that made fun of this bogus excuse for a religion? Seriously man, those retards actually believe in that shit. And then Isaac Hayes quit the show because it was making fun of his religion, even though he's helped South Park make fun of other religions, especially Christianity (and Mormonism, or the Mormonites, or whatever they're called). Your going to recieve some hate mail from Tom Cruz. eek!

Robtard
I think it's bullshit, but then again, what is the real difference in believing that the son of God/God died for our sins and we are saved and rewarded with everlasting life if you believe in him compared to believing that we are nothing more than brainwashed alien souls? Or that God gave his final laws to one prophet who then rode a winged horse into heaven and back down again? Or that God created the first man out of dirt, yadda yadda yadda? It all really sounds like BS to me...

Alliance
Originally posted by Robtard
I think it's bullshit, but then again, what is the real difference in believing that the son of God/God died for our sins and we are saved and rewarded with everlasting life if you believe in him compared to believing that we are nothing more than brainwashed alien souls? Or that God gave his final laws to one prophet who then rode a winged horse into heaven and back down again? Or that God created the first man out of dirt, yadda yadda yadda? It all really sounds like BS to me...

thumb up

Rogue Jedi
i flunked science in HS, so i think its poop.

Alliance
ahh...the explination arises.

Rogue Jedi
of what?

Alliance

Rogue Jedi
oh...i get it. i flunked science, so i dont know shyat, right?

Alliance
I don't know Shyat either. Who is he?

Rogue Jedi
apparently if a person doesnt do well in high school, they know nothing.

i passed with flying colors in ALL of my HONORS classes. i just happened to be bored as hell with biology.

Alliance
And why is that?

Rogue Jedi
i dunno, it just lulled me to sleep. you never had a HS class that bored you?

Alliance
Not really...but then again...

1. I'm me.

2. I'm easily entertained.

Rogue Jedi
most simple minded people are....kidding!!!

Alliance
Unless their not.

I am trusting.

Rogue Jedi
do you trust me?

Alliance
I take what you say at face value.

Nichole
Originally posted by Nogoodnamesleft
Am I the only one here who thinks that this supposed "religion" is the biggest steaming pile of crap that ever fell out of Roseanne Barr's ass? Did anyone ever watch that episode of South Park that made fun of this bogus excuse for a religion? Seriously man, those retards actually believe in that shit. And then Isaac Hayes quit the show because it was making fun of his religion, even though he's helped South Park make fun of other religions, especially Christianity (and Mormonism, or the Mormonites, or whatever they're called).

Isaac Hayes is a hypocrite for that very reason.

Alliance
these dumb assholes

What a great way to start a post.

i know we got freedom of religion and all but why do we allow these bastards to continue??

Well, you have your answer right there. Get over it.

Most religions have similar giant leaps of faith.

FeceMan

kanis
wolfwood Did anyone watch that documentary where that british comedian went to a off shoot of scientology camp and learned all about what it takes to become one and sit about all day mucking about with playdo and reading stuff that makes no sense and trying your best to get an reaction from someone who's just sitting blankly infront of you.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by kanis
wolfwood Did anyone watch that documentary where that british comedian went to a off shoot of scientology camp and learned all about what it takes to become one and sit about all day mucking about with playdo and reading stuff that makes no sense and trying your best to get an reaction from someone who's just sitting blankly infront of you.

No.

Although John Safran dressed up as Beck and attended a scientology conferance in one of the segmants in John Safran vs. God. Great series.

kanis
wolfwood I had to ask.

lil bitchiness

Nellinator

dirkdirden
Originally posted by Nellinator
laughing out loud

Don't laugh I'm an OT7 I'll make you explode with my very expensive mind powers............*evil laugh*

kanis
wolfwood I would have told her to get lost if she told me i was unhappy i wonder what would have happened if you showed you were really happy and didn't need any further tests, and definately would not have bought that book which truthfully put me to sleep.

ESB -1138

lord xyz
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Man...and I thought people trying to make Jedi a religion were retarded. Not as retarded as those people who say the earth is 6,000 years old and was designed by some god who then flooded everything, then impregnated a woman who gave birth to a messiah who is not only the son of this god, but the god aswell, died then came back to life to die again.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by lord xyz
Not as retarded as those people who say the earth is 6,000 years old and was designed by some god who then flooded everything, then impregnated a woman who gave birth to a messiah who is not only the son of this god, but the god aswell, died then came back to life to die again.

By science! How dare you! Praise science!!

lord xyz
Originally posted by ESB -1138
By science! How dare you! Praise science!! WTF?

BlackC@
John Travolta and his wife are also Scientologists.

They wouldn't treat their austistic son because the Church of Scientology doesn't recognise autism.

It's disgusting and an extremely stupid religion. Where's the belief that this Xenu person existed?

Alliance
Scientiology is supported just as much as any other religion.

lil bitchiness
As I testified while back, I had my little experience with Scientology where group of people tried to convince me how unhappy I am with my life.

Its a creepy creepy cult.

Alliance
Is that why they do so well with actors? laughing out loud

lil bitchiness
You know, i think you're right.

There is something really strange with the scientology - it maybe says something about people wanting to belong a religious institution no matter how srange, opressive, weird or dangerous it is. messed

Example - silent birth..I mean seriously... double yew tee eff?

Although it makes you wonder more about the people who agree to participate in scientology, than those who came up with it.

geshien
http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/

inimalist
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
As I testified while back, I had my little experience with Scientology where group of people tried to convince me how unhappy I am with my life.

Its a creepy creepy cult.

lol, ive always wanted to get "tested" by them, see if I would benefit from their services

crazy
Damn just saw that video, kinda scary. It's like "The Company" in Prison Break.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by inimalist
lol, ive always wanted to get "tested" by them, see if I would benefit from their services

me too, but they want to charge me. Atleast Catholicism lets me sit through mass, giving me an opportunity to decide whether or not i agree witht heir bullshit before charging me.

AngryManatee
Sometimes I just wanna sit outside the scientology building just outside campus, with a mask on and a videocamera in hand, not even running; just sitting there waiting for lulz.

Eon Blue
Yeah, science fiction writer turned philosopher L. Ron Hubbard started it as a series of self-improvement techniques (both spiritual and practical) and eventually it grew into a full-fledged religion. Their main goal is (like most religions) simply an improvement on human life, but they have some odd beliefs ("Upper level" teachings include something about an intergalactic warlord corrupting souls...more like stuff from Hubbard's fiction novels than any real religion).

But Tom Cruise believe in it, so it MUST be true!

-DM

inimalist
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
me too, but they want to charge me. Atleast Catholicism lets me sit through mass, giving me an opportunity to decide whether or not i agree witht heir bullshit before charging me.

damn, I didn't know they charged for even just the audit...

man, what a credible religion..

Rao Kal El
Many opinions in here, some are ill informed.

Well take this from me, I WAS a scientoligist, some of my family members are still scientology members.

This "church" is a business and they will sell you anything they can.

But don't take it against the members of the church, those guys are basically the one's who are being ripped by the church management.

Is kind of hard to explain, but in a nutshell, they reprogram or recondition your way of thinking so there is nothing more important in your life than the church of scientlogy and becoming clear.

All those guys working for the church of scientology are just victims of this reconditioning process. Since the church is so important and they believe it with all their hearth, they will try to get anyone on board to create a better world.

They are conditioned to think that way, in 90% of the cases people trying to get other people inside the church will do it for the pure purpose of trying to help you, the monetary compensation this recruiters get is nothing compared to the money that enters into the church's account, and even this "monetary" compensation some recruiters may get is paid in services by the church.

Really stay away from this cult/enterprise

N0UFZVHfel4

Bentley
Wow, I never thought you used to be a scientologist.

Glad to know the House of El has saved your soul since then.

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by Bentley
Wow, I never thought you used to be a scientologist.

Glad to know the House of El has saved your soul since then.

Happy Dance I'm glad too

Lord Lucien
Coincidentally, there was a Cracked article recently about just how f*cked up it is to grow up within Scientology.

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Coincidentally, there was a Cracked article recently about just how f*cked up it is to grow up within Scientology.

That sounds about right, of course it varies depending onto how much you are into the church teachings, so is not a golden rule for everyone on the church, but it wouldn't be unthinkable that this happened to someone growing up in a scientologiest community.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.