So now you've seen Episode III are you happy with Anakins spirit in ROTJ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

amity75
I'm more satisfied now but it would have been better if he'd been wearing his "darker" jedi robes.

Ast Rofan
Yeah, I alway liked the change. But I think the robes didnt change because they simply pasted Hayden's head only.

Hayden is who we identify as the Anakin character.

sith_darth_jay
I'm not. I still don't undertand why lucas changed it

jerlark386
No Im not either, I think Anakin should burn in hell and the footage should be of him in flames.

Thats when he can say "Noooooooooooooooooo!"

DeVi| D0do
I still don't like it.

PVS
anakin looks..........stoned in that scene erm

DeVi| D0do
I mostly hate it because Hayden's a frickin moron and has no right to be in the movie...

But also, because it makes no sense. Anakin died as a Jedi in Return of the Jedi not Revenge of the Sith.

Darth Plagueis
I still don't understand why he doesn't look his age at death, like Obi and Yoda do......

Boris
As Lucas said, he came back as his true self, before he turned to the darkside, and yeah I think the change is fine.

kremzike
I always liked the change and am continually bewildered by those who don't understand it. It's ok not to like it, but how can you not get the concept?

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Anakin died as a Jedi in Return of the Jedi not Revenge of the Sith.

Darth Plagueis
Originally posted by kremzike
I always liked the change and am continually bewildered by those who don't understand it. It's ok not to like it, but how can you not get the concept? What DD says above, and also because I don't buy that Anakin was EVER at peace with the force until his redemption in ROTJ.
Is hiding in a swamp for 2 decades a reflection of Yodas true self?
I don't think so.

kremzike
As far as we knew in 1983, Anakin Skywalker looked like Sebastian Shaw before he went into the suit. So it is believeanle that his spirit looks that way. You can't have a spirit with severed limbs & hope to have a happy ending. Now, Yoda & Obi-Wan faded away when they joined the force, then reappeared the same way. The physical remains of the redeemed Anakin Skywalker did not disappear. What appeared to Luke on Endor was the spirit trapped within him from before he turned to the dark side. Is a spirit expected to age?

If Lucas didn't change it, I wouldn't have asked him to. But once he did, I instantly got his concept. And that's what is shown in the movies. What he shows us is the story (please save your revisionist "well, that's what he says in this release" jokes for... never). The bottom line is that Star Wars is, essentially, a fairy tale. We've got no connection to a Shaw-looking Anakin. We know Hayden's Anakin. That's the fairy tale ending, seeing the person we knew redeemed. If you're saying Anakin should look like Sebastian Shaw when he's a spirit, then he should've looked like Sebastian Shaw when he fell to the dark side, or the spirit should've been a floating, scarred torso. Like I said, you don't have to like it, but how can you not understand what Lucas was going for when he put Hayden's head in there?

And wtf does that staetment about Yoda in the swamp mean really? You mean "a reflection of what he likes to do, in his spare time if he had the choice"? That doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about.

matreid
Yes, and when he is a spirit he gets to be young. Obi-wan and Yoda must be kicking themselves.

DeVi| D0do
kremzike, I understand Lucas's reasons for putting Hayden in their and it does make sense in a way... But I'd still prefer to see Shaw there. It just makes more sense to me... meh, it's not something I'm gonna lose sleep over.

kremzike
See, and that's cool. I'm totally cool with people who don't like it. I just have a problem with the people that don't understand it. And, as we know, they are out there. But yeah. Right on.

Darth Travizzle
I don't care what you guys say, I like it. And when I was around 5 or 6, I thought that the spirit next to Yoda and Obi-Wan was like Luke's uncle. So that was confusing. But hey, I was only 5!

Ani's Girl
I'm glad they changed it, but I agree that it should have been in his III robes.

Darth Plagueis
First of all, I NEVER said I didn't like it (it always amazes me when people start bashing without thougourly reading a post (krem)), but the age thing I question.
In response to the WTF about mentioning Yoda in the swamp, this was a response to an earlier explanation that the age thing was relative to a Jedi's "true self", which I think Yoda was past at this point, having been beaten, forced into exile and living a life of regret with only a glimmer of possible redemption. VERY much a reflection of "what were talking about".
And YES, of course, a spirit should be expected to age, if it is a reflection of a (once) living being.

Reading is fundamental.

kremzike
I said, "It's ok if people dont like it." That is a general statement. Not one directed at you or anyone else in particular. I never said, "I don't get why you don't like it." Maybe you're just hoping for someone to start a fight with you, but that ain't me.

How would a dormant spirit age? It's essentially a ghost itself, trapped. Dead.

Darth Plagueis
Look at my posts, I am not antagonistic and may have falsely assumed that you were. That WTF changes the connotation of a conversation sometimes.
But in response, WHY did Obi-Wans and Yodas spirite age? Just because someone makes bad decisions, doesnt mean that their spirit will "pause" until they die...

Ani's Girl
I agree, perhaps it would have been better to have all of them as they appeared in the prequels. The only reasoning I can see for them to show the younger Anakin is under the assumption that Anakin "died" when he became Vader (even though he came back at the end of ROTJ).

kremzike
Their spirits didn't age. They did. That's what I said in my first big post. They looked as they did when they died. Now, so does Anakin in GL's eyes/mind/story. Anakin died in Episode 3 as far as Lucas is concerned.

I asked how a dormant spirit would age. I was referring to the dormant spirit of Anakin Skywalker that was trapped within Darth Vader.

Darth Plagueis
YES!!! Changing all of them would have been a cool nod to the prequels, as if Anakins redemption helped ALL of them!!
Let me restate that I initially thought "wow! cool!" at the change, and understand from the point of view that we have a connection to Haydens Ani, and not Sebastion Shaws, but I don't by that his spirit was "on hold" for 20 some odd years. In fact, I think the epiphany that he has at the end of ROTJ puts him at the most focused point of his life.
Maybe an age-progression shot of Hayden would have worked perfectly....

Mstr GEKA
But my question is (i know I've already posted it) how did he learn the path to immortality? Furthermore, Hayden should learn how to smile... it looks evil to me.

Darth Plagueis
Originally posted by kremzike
Their spirits didn't age. They did. That's what I said in my first big post. They looked as they did when they died. Now, so does Anakin in GL's eyes/mind/story. Anakin died in Episode 3 as far as Lucas is concerned.

I asked how a dormant spirit would age. I was referring to the dormant spirit of Anakin Skywalker that was trapped within Darth Vader. But Anakin IS Darth Vader!!!!!! Evil or not, Vader still had a spirit!! The same one he was born (and died )with!!

Ani's Girl
Good points all, and I agree that the shots they used of Hayden weren't the greatest. I really loved his smile when he tells Padme "I'm allright" after coming back from killing Dooku, but it was an adoring smile, not something that would have fit the spirit scene.

SpyCspider
coulnd't they have just make Hayden Christensen older? They can do it to Ewan McGregor....they did it in 3 movies.

Put on a body suit, wear a wig, or something.

DeVi| D0do
^ What the point of that be?

confused

Darth Plagueis
Originally posted by SpyCspider
coulnd't they have just make Hayden Christensen older? They can do it to Ewan McGregor....they did it in 3 movies.

Put on a body suit, wear a wig, or something. yes

chubbychipmunk
omg lucas had leo dicaprio in mind for being anakin. no could you have imagined that! that would've been horrid. i'm glad they picked anakin happy

DeVi| D0do
What does that have to do with Anakin's ghost is Episode VI?

kremzike
Originally posted by Darth Plagueis
But Anakin IS Darth Vader!!!!!! Evil or not, Vader still had a spirit!! The same one he was born (and died )with!!

Lucas disagrees. That's why he did what's caused this discussion in the first place. I'm not saying it wouldn't make sense if it remained unchanged or anything. But the fact is that once he established the PT, this is what the man who decides what is in Star Wars is saying. Everybody can have theories & their own explanations for whatever saga monets they see fit, but as the saga stands now, the man who created it says that Anakin's redeemed spirit is the one that died when he turned to the dark side, which does fall in line to what Obi-Wan told Luke in ROTJ. It's just that now we have the visual representation of that man who "ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader" and GL has shown us that he becomes that man once again when he joins the force.

Hmmmm how about that? Maybe he wasn't fully redeemed until the life left his body, eh? That could work as an explanation of why Sebastian Shaw is in the suit & Hayden Christensen is now the spirit. I'm not sayi9ng this is my feeling or theory or whatever because it's not necessary. Like I said, everyone can have their own theories about why things are the way they are, but what you can't dispute is what GL gives us as fact. He sticks Hayden's head on the Shaw-spirit body, so that makes it fact in the saga.

DeVi| D0do
I agree. In Lucas's mind Anakin did die in Episode III. Although I think that in Jedi Anakin is redeemed and returns to the good side... But I have to respect Lucas's vision of the story - it is afterall his story. If it were mine, perhaps I'd do it differently...

smile

Eleonora
I think they should have put him closer to the others. Yoda and Obi look like they were stuck together, whereas Anakin is about one step away. I still think George should have put two versions on DVD, 'cause the future generations will never be able to see the movies how we loved them and made them a cult in the first place.
However, talking for myself, I'd have to say that scene makes much sense now, I like it a lot. smile

pr1983
Lucas is a f*cktard for putting that in...

i had to rewatch my old vhs tapes just to stop myself chucking my dvd's out the window...

JediJim
I think it was just a way for Lucas to tie the two trilogies together. But I do agree that the Jedi Anakin Skywalker died on Mustafar, so it does make sense for his Jedi ghost to be shown at that age.

dflood
anakin practically is force ,,.he was born with no dad only mediclrions .i think that wud give an excuse

amity75
In the future when new generations are watching all six movies in sequence they'll only want to see Hayden at the end. If they hadn't changed it then people would be disappointed at the appearance of some old guy.

Ani's Girl
One of these days, I will have to watch them in order...

DeVi| D0do
Maybe if Hayden wasn't such a moron I wouldn't mind it...

But all his appearance does in that film is remind me how much he sucks.

Jedi Priestess
Werx fer me just fine. yes

Ani's Girl
I thought he did a good job, but we're all entitled to our own opinion.

vader519
Seeing Hayden at the end of ROTJ never bothered me one bit. I really like dhte changed, and after seeing ROTS, it makes more sense and its better.

Darth_Rankkor
It makes sense but also the older version of anakin did. So what GL meant IMO was to reach for the fans from both T's

Swanky-Tuna
I think it's kinda tacky. I just would of much rather seen Darth Vader cast off the shackles of the dark side and return as the redeemed Anakin.

I could see Whatshisname McYoungVersion Hayden whatever being more in place if like evil being slain and the Jedi returning rejuvenated them into younger versions of themselves.
Originally posted by amity75
In the future when new generations are watching all six movies in sequence they'll only want to see Hayden at the end. If they hadn't changed it then people would be disappointed at the appearance of some old guy.
Hopefully after seeing old man obi, the future generations will have grasp on the concept of "aging" and it's effect on people.

Robin Darkside
I think having Anakin in ROTJ connects the entire saga better. its better having young Anakin because that was when it was at a time where he was still good, so it kinda implys that Anakin went back to his old self once Luke saved him.
Plus having Anakin's force ghost when he was young, meant more than having the old guy look where we only see one scene showing him, and Anakin had the entire PT. So, I think it was a wise decision by Lucas

Darth Bong
Hayden at the end of ROTJ didn't bother me either. I had a hard time associating the old man who was there originally with Anakin/Vader. But all of us recognize Hayden,makes it easier and helps continuity. smokin'

AmrothSkywalker
I don't want to add fuel to the fire but I think young Anakin was a bad change. He was never at peace when he was young if you think about it. He always had something bothering him and something evil deep down inside of him. By showing old Anakin we see Anakin "saved" from the dark side as his content self. Luke helped him kill the evil in him and bring out the good and he was turned completely back to the good side. So when we see old Anakin he is with the other jedi masters at the end old when they passed and "became one with the force" showing young Anakin is like if they showed Ewan McGregor for Obi-wan Kenobi! Old Anakin was the only Anakin to ever truly be at peace.

kremzike
Originally posted by AmrothSkywalker
showing young Anakin is like if they showed Ewan McGregor for Obi-wan Kenobi!

That's where you lose me. That change would make much less sense, so it's not like the Anakin change at all. You can explain why Anakin's spirit appears that way. How would you possibly explain how Obi-Wan's spirit that we've seen as Alec Guiness has suddenly changed to Ewan McGregor? See what i'm getting at here? I'm not asking you to explain that change. I'm saying that there is a valid, official explanation of how Anakin's spirit first appears & looks like Hayden, but if they changed Alec to Ewan for the end scene, that would make no sense at all. My point is that your comparing young Anakin to a possible young Ewan weakens your point. Take that out & you've got a stronger argument.

AmrothSkywalker
Are you saying that Hayden isnt so bad because we never really see Anakin in any other form?

kremzike
All I was saying there was that your comparison weakened your point. Go back further in the thread to see what I think about the change.

AmrothSkywalker
I see what you mean about my arguement. Think about this: they show obi wan die old, the show his spirit old, they show anakin die old, they show his spirit young????? i think its retarded

JKozzy
Don't you guys know? Becoming a Sith has its advantages, in not aging a bit. wink

kremzike
Originally posted by AmrothSkywalker
I see what you mean about my arguement. Think about this: they show obi wan die old, the show his spirit old, they show anakin die old, they show his spirit young????? i think its retarded

And that's cool. I'll never tell anyone that they should or shouldn't like anything. Like what you want to. But you should also understand that George Lucas says that Anakin died when he became Darth Vader in what is now Episode III, and Anakin seems fully redeemed once he joins the force & appears next to Obi-Wan & Yoda in the same visual form that he died in.

Darth Bong
Also, I think Mr. Lucas might have changed this scene because becoming one with the force was Anakin's big reward for turning back. I mean, he goes through most of his life in a black mask barely alive. It makes the situation look like Anakin's reward was to get to be the ghost of a shriveled old man. The force changes him back to how he was the last time he was in tune with the light side. Both Yoda and Obi-Wan never turned. You could look at it from the point of view that once you turn to the Dark Side you are no longer in view or in the presence of the living force. So that was how the force last remembers him. You will find that many of the truths we cling to rely greatly on our own point of view. smokin'

General Bondius
It really suck and its offensive for the old fans, (which im not, but that doesnt matter) to put christensen en basically the only anakin scene in all the original trilogy. sick

Darth Bong
I can see how people would think that, but the old Anakin just wasn't in the movie long enough for me to be offended at him being cut out of the scene. smokin'

General Bondius
MMM, good point

chubbychipmunk
i think it's a good thing that they changed it because the older one doesn't look like the anakin in 3

kremzike
I'm sure plenty of old fans will not like it, but I am one of the ones who does. I was able to see ROTJ in theaters on it's first run and ROTJ has always been my favorite SW movie. And while Episodes I & II never topped any of the original films in my mind, I did like them. Sebastian Shaw's ghost was just fine for me, but the Hayden change was much more powerful for me.

I'm at work so I don't have time to formulate my thoughts. smile

Darthburgerking
I'm not one of those fans that hates the new movies becuase their new, but I didn't see why they did it it was fine just the way it was, but it's funny to see how pissed some people get about it.

bav
i think the hayden sprirt is better, as it shows when a jedi leaves the lightside of the force, their sprirts remain the same when they left. so when hayden appeared at the end of ROTJ it shows what his spirit was when just before he went to the darkside of the force.

amity75
Lets face it, we all want to imagine Anakin being a young guy in the jedi afterlife having loads of sex with Padme and having lots of partying. It wouldn't be fair on him if he had to spend all eternity as an old duffer.

Ast Rofan
No that is how I like to think of my spirit, Anakin can burn for all I care. stick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
Anakin's ghost should be limbless and in flames.

Cipher
I liked it before I saw the new movie and I'm not a fan of
altering old films that way.

It makes better sense than appearing in a form he never had......

AmrothSkywalker
Originally posted by bav
i think the hayden sprirt is better, as it shows when a jedi leaves the lightside of the force, their sprirts remain the same when they left. so when hayden appeared at the end of ROTJ it shows what his spirit was when just before he went to the darkside of the force.

But he did go back to the lightside of the force at the end but you know "who cares about the old guy we just want to see something we can relate to more cause we saw him in his new movies."whoopee doo

Jackie Malfoy
In a way I am.But in other ways I was alittle disapointed about the whole ending.JMdisgust

preysin
I'am and i think it was suitable to have hayden in ROTS. the trilogy looks better now.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.