Is there anything that God can not do?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison

debbiejo
God can not NOT be.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by debbiejo
God can not NOT be.

Once you are, can anyone "not be"?

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Once you are, can anyone "not be"?

Nope, just like God....that's the one thing I don't think God can do...Or maybe interfere with your free will.

Shakyamunison
Nope, just like God....that's the one thing I don't think God can do...Or maybe interfere with your free will.
So God has limits?

debbiejo
So God has limits?

I suppose so........

finti
yeah make me believe

debbiejo
Originally posted by finti
yeah make me believe

It's the free will thing.

finti
nah its my will is stronger than this god

debbiejo
Originally posted by finti
nah its my will is stronger than this god

But you're the same.

markie
Is there anything that God can not do? God can't lie or God wouldn't be God.

Zenoside
If god made a boulder that he couldnt lift he could lift it, however if he decided that he could lift the boulder, he could.

Its very confusing, I think God chooses not to mess with free will, rather than thinking he cant.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Zenoside
If god made a boulder that he couldnt lift he could lift it, however if he decided that he could lift the boulder, he could.

Its very confusing, I think God chooses not to mess with free will, rather than thinking he cant.

So God has free will. God chooses to not do things like sin, but he can if he wished too, is that what you are saying?

PrinceofBlades
So God has free will. God chooses to not do things like sin, but he can if he wished too, is that what you are saying?

That's new age thinking. "God is everything, and everything he's not." God can do anything, but sin is in complete against him. The greatest reason is because God did not create sin, his subjects did....

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PrinceofBlades
That's new age thinking. "God is everything, and everything he's not." God can do anything, but sin is in complete against him. The greatest reason is because God did not create sin, his subjects did....

If God is everything, how can sin not be something? In other words, if sin is something and God is everthing then sin must be part of God. If this is not the case please explain.

debbiejo
If God is everything, how can sin not be something? In other words, if sin is something and God is everthing then sin must be part of God. If this is not the case please explain.

That's how I also see it.

PrinceofBlades

No that is new age thinking "God is everything and everything he's not." I'm saying Sin is not him, because if God is God, than sin is not. It is a difficult subject because no one can fully grasp the concept of God...

PrinceofBlades
That's how I also see it.

Than you, my friend are a new age thinker...

Shakyamunison

Sorry my friend, I am a Buddhist and that is a religion that is over 2500 years old. Peace to you, for you are closer to what I believe than you realize, (no one can understand what God is or is not).

debbiejo

Well I believe God is in all things...eveything was created by God, and there is no place where He/It is not.

Echuu
God didn't directly create sin though; that was our fault.

PrinceofBlades
Originally posted by Echuu
God didn't directly create sin though; that was our fault.

No, it was Satan's. A sin is a misdeed done against God. Satan was the first to say "I will not serve" we were the second...

PrinceofBlades
Sorry my friend, I am a Buddhist and that is a religion that is over 2500 years old. Peace to you, for you are closer to what I believe than you realize, (no one can understand what God is or is not).

It was directed to Debbiejo

PrinceofBlades
Well I believe God is in all things...eveything was created by God, and there is no place where He/It is not.

God being everything, and in everything is two gargantuos ideals. But God did not create sin for sin is evil, and he is not. And hell (if there is such a place) is place where he is not...

markie
Sorry my friend, I am a Buddhist and that is a religion that is over 2500 years old. Peace to you, for you are closer to what I believe than you realize, (no one can understand what God is or is not). From what I understand the new age movement is a combination of various ancient religions such as budhism, hinduism, shintoism, taoism and other isms, who knows what all but it's some kind of a mixture of different ancient religions.
By deffinition sin is doing something other than the will of God so to say God can sin would be a contridiction of terms. If God did something it wouldn't be a sin for him to do it. No God cannot sin..
The way I see it sin is like a vecuum, to sin is to not do the will of God in a particular situation. Sin is the lack of something. I've heard it defined as missing the mark. God's will is the mark so anything other than that is sin. The bible says all have sinned and come short of thr glory of God, Christians believe it's only through the blood of Jesus Christ that we can hit the mark and do the will of God.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by markie
From what I understand the new age movement is a combination of various ancient religions such as budhism, hinduism, shintoism, taoism and other isms, who knows what all but it's some kind of a mixture of different ancient religions.
By deffinition sin is doing something other than the will of God so to say God can sin would be a contridiction of terms. If God did something it wouldn't be a sin for him to do it. No God cannot sin..
The way I see it sin is like a vecuum, to sin is to not do the will of God in a particular situation. Sin is the lack of something. I've heard it defined as missing the mark. God's will is the mark so anything other than that is sin. The bible says all have sinned and come short of thr glory of God, Christians believe it's only through the blood of Jesus Christ that we can hit the mark and do the will of God.

OK, lets say that sin is off the table (a bullseye will always hit it's self). Can God make a mistake?

debbiejo
It was directed to Debbiejo

What I believe is based on Quantum Physics...Not New Age.

finti
christians make up your minds is this god of yours omnipotent and omnipresent or do you all use these therms just when it sounds convenience

PrinceofBlades
OK, lets say that sin is off the table (a bullseye will always hit it's self). Can God make a mistake?

No, but if he does make a mistake it isn't one. He always does things on purpose never something out of the blue hence the saying, nothing happens by chance...

Storm
God is not omnipotent.

Shakyamunison
No, but if he does make a mistake it isn't one. He always does things on purpose never something out of the blue hence the saying, nothing happens by chance...

Then why did God tell Noah he regretted making man?

Imlistening
god cannot commit suicide

PrinceofBlades
Then why did God tell Noah he regretted making man?

Because His experiment had failed. He took such pride in his creation that now he was ready to destroy it, because he could no longer tolerate the violence that had spread across the world. But tell me this, did he not also regret the flood?

Shakyamunison
Because His experiment had failed. He took such pride in his creation that now he was ready to destroy it, because he could no longer tolerate the violence that had spread across the world. But tell me this, did he not also regret the flood?

Then God has not yet reach perfection.

MarkyMarkRules
finti will always fight with christians, I have seen him do it before. It is best to ingore him no matter what.

debbiejo

No God hasn't....Just like we haven't.

Originally posted by MarkyMarkRules
finti will always fight with christians, I have seen him do it before. It is best to ingore him no matter what.

Why?.....He knows your faith better than probably you do.

Shakyamunison
No God hasn't....Just like we haven't.
...and still you surprise me...

A friend told me once, he knew how God knows when we sin.

We know when we sin and we punish our selves for it.

debbiejo

We know when we've made a poor choice, a mistake...it's part of our inner voice...and we regret it....I think?

PrinceofBlades

He is perfect, or else he wouldn't have had a back up plan...

finti
just show how little you understand christians to post something like you did

cking
Satan started sin in heaven and man only made it worse for themselves.

finti
well since your god created everything sin is a part of this gods work

cking
sin is basically a test. life and sin are tests, who can overcome sin and who cannot.

finti
still, its a creation to the religion you have faith with

debbiejo
Maybe Satan just needed a hug.

finti
from kenny?

debbiejo
From god...

finti
nah kenny is way cooler

debbiejo
Who's Kenny.

finti
kenny from south park

debbiejo
One of YOUR favorite shows? blink

finti
it used to be

debbiejo
Maybe if satan got a little hug, he wouldn't of got ticked off.

finti
a drink would be better

debbiejo
Maybe he wasn't invited to the party...That got him ticked.......

OR..maybe they are at the party now...and we are the entertainment.

finti
I bet on the latter

debbiejo
Voyeurism..

finti
what a bunch of kinky things

debbiejo
Yeah, they're drinking wine, eating grapes, have sex, and watching the show..

finti
sounds like Greek mythology alright, now where is Aphrodite

debbiejo
Oh...shes around.

She was the goddess of love, beauty, and affection. Aphrodite's three signs were the dove, the swan, and the rose. Her Roman name was Venus

finti

debbiejo
Interesting.....See, she gets around....People loved loved to worship her....I've read that church really hated her temples cause it was a place to learn new things... angel

finti
yeah

debbiejo
A school of wickedness and unchastness. They were schools of instruction and techniques.

finti
not too many temples in norse myth though

debbiejo
The rhyme "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight...I wish I may, I wish I might..have the wish I wish tonight." is attributed to her. Young girls would make a wish to find husbands....

Greek and Roman myths are so interesting.

finti
just like every other mythology I guess

cking
Satan hates god and the humans he created.

joeykangaroo
^ he seems pleseant

cking
no he is very hateful and his wisdom is corrupt despite he use to be good.

debbiejo
Originally posted by cking
no he is very hateful and his wisdom is corrupt despite he use to be good.

No...it's

no he is very hateful and his wisdom is corrupt despite his good looks.

Shakyamunison
No...it's

no he is very hateful and his wisdom is corrupt despite his good looks.

What? What does this have to do with "Is there anything that God can not do?"?

finti
if you bothered to look a little bit more than into the last post only you would have learned that this thread derailed a bit..........

Shakyamunison
god can not forgive those who do not ask for forgiveness.

soleran30
Hey I saw Dogma again for the upteenth time and God is infallable! If God is all that Man has written "him" out to be then no.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by soleran30
Hey I saw Dogma again for the upteenth time and God is infallable! If God is all that Man has written "him" out to be then no.

Then why can't god just forgive everyone without them asking?

Storm
There is no single or obvious way to understand what omnipotence means, and there are very good reasons to think that whatever definition is given, it will either contradict with other characteristics or it will be reduced to meaninglessness.

Atlantis001

debbiejo
It's not god per say, It's us that would influence what we would call god...It's the laws of "attraction of what you think about", It's pulled to you...We are the ones doing the creating...we are part of the creation process..

Atlantis001
It's not god per say, It's us that would influence what we would call god...It's the laws of "attraction of what you think about", It's pulled to you...We are the ones doing the creating...we are part of the creation process..

Well thought... God is not a being that is independent of us, we are part of it, so what it can do or not is also determined by us.

Imperial_Samura
If all the hooha were to be believed it appears God can't make a perfect world where people would also have "free will" - if he wants us free then the world isn't perfect, if he wants us perfect we aren't free. Looks to me like God is caught in a Catch-22 there.

_Sanctuary_
sounds about right

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
If all the hooha were to be believed it appears God can't make a perfect world where people would also have "free will" - if he wants us free then the world isn't perfect, if he wants us perfect we aren't free. Looks to me like God is caught in a Catch-22 there.

So there are some things god can not do.

((The_Anomaly))
Can God heat up a burrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it??

confused

Mindship
Yes and no, neither and both.
If the most fundamental trait of God is infinity, true infinity, in every sense of the term, with absolutely no limits, then by definition all things are within God, including limits.
This is not a contradiction: it is a paradox. Paradox is what results when mind--which functions in an either/or mode--contemplates its superior.
Might as well try to have the eye contemplate mathematics. Mathematics is symbolic, mental-sphere stuff. All the eye will know is what it sees, the ink on paper, nothing more. It takes a mind to grasp the full symbolic dimension beyond the ink on paper.
Likewise, mind can not grasp spirit-sphere stuff. All the mind will know is what it thinks, nothing more. It takes a soul to begin to grasp the full divine dimension beyond those thoughts.

rolling on floor laughing

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
If the most fundamental trait of God is infinity, true infinity, in every sense of the term, with absolutely no limits, then by definition all things are within God, including limits.
This is not a contradiction: it is a paradox. Paradox is what results when mind--which functions in an either/or mode--contemplates its superior.
Might as well try to have the eye contemplate mathematics. Mathematics is symbolic, mental-sphere stuff. All the eye will know is what it sees, the ink on paper, nothing more. It takes a mind to grasp the full symbolic dimension beyond the ink on paper.
Likewise, mind can not grasp spirit-sphere stuff. All the mind will know is what it thinks, nothing more. It takes a soul to begin to grasp the full divine dimension beyond those thoughts.

rolling on floor laughing

Very Zen of you.

The above is the closest answer to how I would answer the question.

I believe that God is everything including nothingness, right, wrong, all things and non-things. Therefore the answer is, yes, no, maybe.

Darth Jello
omnipotence paradox

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Darth Jello
omnipotence paradox

Paradoxes are allowed.

Mindship
We need a zazen smilie.

BobbyD
Yes, one thing and one thing only.....force us to love/follow Him. He cannot do this.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BobbyD
Yes, one thing and one thing only.....force us to love/follow Him. He cannot do this.

You are saying that god has limits.

Boris

Exist.

Mindship
Originally posted by Boris
Exist.

Sharp. Like a scalpel that knows exactly where to cut.
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not that I agree, but if I did, it would be the kind of answer where I'd be thinking, "Damn, I wish I woulda said that!"

Incisive to where--from the atheist's POV--there aint no more to say.

Shakyamunison
Sharp. Like a scalpel that knows exactly where to cut.
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not that I agree, but if I did, it would be the kind of answer where I'd be thinking, "Damn, I wish I woulda said that!"

Incisive to where--from the aetheist's POV--there aint no more to say.

God is also existence and non-existence.

Mindship
God is also existence and non-existence.

That I would agree with, but I got this funny feeling that's not what the lad meant.

Boris
I got a funny feeling that you're right.

Shakyamunison
That I would agree with, but I got this funny feeling that's not what the lad meant.

I was not speaking for him, I was speaking for god. eek!

laughing out loud

Arachnoidfreak
god cant give me a shower in 5 minutes from now.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
god cant give me a shower in 5 minutes from now.

But you can, and you are part of God. stick out tongue

BobbyD
Okay, to correct myself, Shaky. I'm sure God COULD force us to love/choose/follow Him. But, He does not do this. He has given us free will to decide for ourselves. So to correct myself, No there is nothing he CAN NOT do. big grin

Shakyamunison

debbiejo
God is the creative force just like we all are...We can create our destiny. We are only limited now by our physical bodies..

BobbyD
blink

Shaky, you're hurting my lil' head.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BobbyD
blink

Shaky, you're hurting my lil' head.

Sorry about that, but it says in the bible God works in mysterious ways. Also in Buddhism, the true nature of reality can never be understood.

Boris
The bible says alot of things, it's just a book... a bad one at that.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Boris
The bible says alot of things, it's just a book... a bad one at that.

Hey! other than "a bad one at that", that's my line. laughing

You should read it (from cover to cover, I did), but don't take it literally.

Son of Man
Well, I guess I am a dumb kid since I belive every piece of The Bible.
Anyway, back to topic, God CANT reject anyone who comes to him. That's something he can't do.

Son of Man
Oh, yes The Bible is a book, but one that contains truth.
For example,odds of Jesus filling the prophecies:
The odds of Jesus fulfilling 48 of the 61 major prophecies concerning Him are 1 in 10157; that is a one with 157 zeros behind it. By comparison, the estimated number of electrons in the entire known universe is about 1079; that is a one with 79 zeros behiind it..
So, The Bible is very reliable.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Son of Man
The odds of Jesus fulfilling 48 of the 61 major prophecies concerning Him are 1 in 10157; that is a one with 157 zeros behind it. By comparison, the estimated number of electrons in the entire known universe is about 1079; that is a one with 79 zeros behiind it..

You are trying to provide facts for something that is meant to be based of faith. Are you a doubting Tomas (sp?)?

Son of Man
No, I just whatnt to let people know that we as Christians dont have blind faith. Me, doubting Thomas? Nah, I belive in the ressurection. LOL
big grin big grin big grin

Shakyamunison
No, I just whatnt to let people know that we as Christians dont have blind faith. Me, doubting Thomas? Nah, I belive in the ressurection. LOL
big grin big grin big grin

So, you don't have blind faith? I used to be a Christian and someone with their eyes open is rear.

Adam_PoE
Well, I guess I am a dumb kid since I belive every piece of The Bible.

You guessed correctly.

redcaped
You cannot be god and that is precisely what he (god) can't do. THINK

KENobi™
There is no God.

Evolution, that's all you need to know.

redcaped
Then evolution created this board isn't it.

Arachnoidfreak

I'm sorry to tell you, but a ratio of 1 in 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
is absolutely horrible.

that means out of that HUGE number, he gets it right ONCE.

Son of Man

Shakyamunison

Shakyamunison

Son of Man
So, Shaky you are basically asking the old age question, "Since the New Testament writers were biased, can we trust their testimony"?
Yes, we can trust their testimony.Being biased about something does not mean that you cannot tell the truth. Take for example the case of a robbery of a small store. The robber shoots and the wounds two employees, escapes, but is later apprehended. At the trial the employees who have recovered from their injuries are brought in to testify. Both of these witnesses are biased in that they want to see the perpetrator properly punished. But, under oath their testimony is accepted as perfectly valid -- providing there aren't obvious problems. So, being biased does not automatically mean that the testimony they give is not true.Furthermore, the fact is that there were plenty of people around who could have discounted what the apostles had written if what they wrote was inaccurate. Yet, we find no evidence of any such thing in any writings of the time. Yes, the disciple were biased. But to what? To lying? To exaggerating? Or were they biased towards the truth of who Jesus is and what He had done?
Of course, just because eyewitnesses wrote about Jesus rising from the dead does not mean it actually happened. This is true, but why would the disciples lie about this? Why would they risk the lives, their families, their cultural ties, and even end up dying for it all if they knew it was all a lie developed out of their "bias"? It doesn't make sense. But what does make sense is that the disciples were telling the truth.
Shaky, nice talkin to you.

Shakyamunison

Adam_PoE
Adam, give me a reason why it is stupied not to belive in The Bible? You should bck up your statements.

Why would I give you a reason why it is stupid to not believe in The Bible? confused

fruits
Can god make a boulder he can't lift? hmmmmmm, cuz if he made the boulder he wouldnt be able to lift it and there's something he cant do, but if he can lift the boulder then he cant make a boulder that he cant lift. hmmmm, but god has already accomplished this in some aspect, no one knows what though, but its just a cool thing to think about

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by fruits
Can god make a boulder he can't lift? hmmmmmm, cuz if he made the boulder he wouldnt be able to lift it and there's something he cant do, but if he can lift the boulder then he cant make a boulder that he cant lift. hmmmm, but god has already accomplished this in some aspect, no one knows what though, but its just a cool thing to think about

That is just a paradox.

redcaped
Do not get lost here, not my intention. God CAN do anything he wants but he has his own rules, rules he chooses not to break. By creating us he gave us the freedom to act. If we are not able to be as powerful as he is then he cannot do anything about it due to his own regulations.-serious

Shakyamunison

redcaped
I do so is what you just read from me.

redcaped
-serious^

Son of Man
Shaky, I know about the the second century gnostic gospel of thomas. I was not put into the cannon of scriptureb because it was written in the second century. That is a whole diffrent story.....
Anyway, The synoptics have early dates. Let me demostrate my argument.
None of the gospels mention the destruction of the Jewish temple in 70 A.D. This is significant because Jesus had prophesied its destruction when He said, "As for these things which you are looking at, the days will come in which there will not be left one stone upon another which will not be torn down," (Luke 21:5, see also Matt. 24:1; Mark 13:1). This prophecy was fulfilled in 70 A.D. when the Romans sacked Jerusalem and burned the Temple. The gold in the Temiple melted down between the stone walls and the Romans took the walls apart, stone by stone, to get the melted gold. Such an obvious fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy most likely woud have been recorded by the gospel writers iff they had been written after 70 A.D. Also, if the gospels were fabrications of mythical events then anything to bolster the Messianic claims succh as the destruction of the temple as Jesus prophesied would surely have been included. But, it was not included suggesting that the gospels (at least Matthew, Mark, and Luke) were written before 70 A.D.this argument is important when we consider the dating of the book of Acts which was written after the gospel of Luke by Luke himself. Acts is a history of the Christian church right after Jesus' ascension. Acts also fails to mention the incredibly significant events of 70 A.D. which would have been extremely relevant and prophetically important and naturally would have garnered inclusion into Acts had it occurred before Acts was written.Remember, Acts is a book of the history of the early Christian church. The fact that the incredibly significant destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple is not recorded is very strong evidence that Acts was written before A.D. 70.If we add to this the fact that Acts does not include the accounts of "Nero's persecution of the Christians in A.D 64 or the deaths of James AD.62 Paul A.D. 64, and Peter A.D. 65, and we have further evidence that it was written veryearly and not long after Jesus went to heaven.
(Countioued)

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by redcaped
I do so is what you just read from me.

? How is "I do so" what I just read from you?

I think you are trying to tell me that you believe what you just wrote.

You can believe anything you like, that does not make it true. I don't want to change you or what you believe. The path you are on, is the one you should be on. However, if you ever wish to suffer less, I have some suggestions that might help.

Son of Man

Godshinto
No really there aren't many things I can't do but thanx for asking...

Shakyamunison

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Godshinto
No really there aren't many things I can't do but thanx for asking...

big grin So... you are god?

Every body, get him......

pile

redcaped
I never suffer. I see others do. The fact exists and I have proof, otherwise I won't say it. Each person make their own reality.-serious

Godshinto
I have to say one thing that I belive is that god lacks the human touch he doesn't look ahead to see what will happen to people after all of his decisions I mean think about it really. Sorry about the sacraligious thing I said before but after my father died I don't think much of religion any more.

Adam_PoE
Oh, Adam_PoE, I dont understand your question.

Adam, give me a reason why it is stupied not to belive in The Bible?

Son of Man
Shaky, I dont understand your post. I have "blinders on"?

What do you mean by, "Your interpretation of these words, in this language, is modern. 2000 years ago they would, and did not see it the same way".
Shaky this is not interpretation, it is truth. Anyway.Here is a list of things God can't do

1.Forsake you
2.Leave you in the darkness, if you belive in His Son.
3.send to hell those who belive in him.

Later.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by redcaped
I never suffer. I see others do. The fact exists and I have proof, otherwise I won't say it. Each person make their own reality.-serious

Everyone suffers from time to time. Yes we all make our own reality, but still there is only one true nature of reality.

Son of Man
^ The Bible teachs that. Matt.5:11
"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake".

Later.

Shakyamunison
Shaky, I dont understand your post. I have "blinders on"?

What do you mean by, "Your interpretation of these words, in this language, is modern. 2000 years ago they would, and did not see it the same way".
Shaky this is not interpretation, it is truth. Anyway.Here is a list of things God can't do

1.Forsake you
2.Leave you in the darkness, if you belive in His Son.
3.send to hell those who belive in him.

Later.

I do not mean that as an insult. You are looking only at one way of seeing something and saying that it is the truth. You don't know the truth because you have nothing to compare it with. All you have done is taken the word of other people, but they were also lied to.

I wish you great happiness.

Son of Man
I higly doubt these people were lied to. It is modern Christian sholarship.
And, no I am not looking at it one way. Unless you can provide evidence that there is an alternative.

I also wish you great happiness Shaky.Later.

Shakyamunison
I higly doubt these people were lied to. It is modern Christian sholarship.
And, no I am not looking at it one way. Unless you can provide evidence that there is an alternative.

I also wish you great happiness Shaky.Later.

Like I said, read "The Power of Myth" then talk to me. It is not what you think, it is a good book, and it will make you think.

Son of Man
I have read many books bashing on Jesus/Bible/NT&OT, and books that are pro libreal christian scolarship, but never read the book you mentioned. I will read the book, but I strongly belive it wont really change my view at how I look at things, though there is always a chance. Later.

Shakyamunison
I have read many books bashing on Jesus/Bible/NT&OT, and books that are pro libreal christian scolarship, but never read the book you mentioned. I will read the book, but I strongly belive it wont really change my view at how I look at things, though there is always a chance. Later.

laughing This is not a "bashing" book.

http://www.jcf.org/works.php?id=12

Son of Man
Oooops. :laughs:

Son of Man
I mean laughing LOL

KENobi™

Shakyamunison

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>