That first Breath

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Zodiac
Is it me or when Vader took his first breath, was that the greatest moment in the movie or do I just like Vader to much.

General Bondius
You like him too much

chubbychipmunk
wow :P

General Zodiac
...dang it...

Ast Rofan
You like Vader too much...

The greatest moment for me was Obi-Wan screaming at Anakin as he burned.

DeVi| D0do
Nah, the greatest moment was when Padme died.

chubbychipmunk
wow

chubbychipmunk
shit! y isn't my picute being shown!

General Zodiac
Devi!? Padme' dieing. Do you hate her?

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by chubbychipmunk
shit! y isn't my picute being shown!

Press F5

chubbychipmunk
oh yea now it's there
that's good

DeVi| D0do
Natalie can't act to save her life in this movie... I was glad to see her go.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by General Zodiac
Devi!? Padme' dieing. Do you hate her?

No, he is just an evil bastard. evil face stick out tongue

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
No, he is just an evil bastard. evil face stick out tongue
and that too...

devil

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by chubbychipmunk
oh yea now it's there
that's good

Next time don't spam the forums with useless posts like "wow" over and over again, just to see your signature image.

General Bondius
NAtalie is by far one of the best performances in this movie, you want to see bad acting, tak e alook at anakin.

Bye the way chubychipmunk, your image is still not showing jejejeje

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by General Bondius
NAtalie is by far one of the best performances in this movie, you want to see bad acting, tak e alook at anakin.

What?

DeVi| D0do
blink

Ken Kenobi

Bye the way chubychipmunk, your image is still not showing jejejeje

It IS showing, press F5 on your keyboard to Force Refresh the page, you'll see it.

General Bondius

Ast Rofan

General Bondius

Darth_Leo
No she's a bad actor

Lana
That was badly written, it had nothing to do with how it was directed.

General Bondius

Ani's Girl
I did catch myself smiling at that "first breath" moment, but I wouldn't make it the best moment of the movie. I also enjoyed hearing Darth's voice for the first time and it sounding so....familiar.

mysterio69
well, the first breath was damn cool, but when obi-wan chopped ol' crabby-pants anakin into pieces, it was cool to see after all these years.

DeVi| D0do
I think he's a very talented director (in terms of the movie) - he's not great at directing actors though. But Natalie could have done better even with what she was given. She almost ruined every scene she was in.

Lana
Lucas has been known to give the actors next to no freedom while acting, though.

DeVi| D0do
Really? I always thought Lucas hardly directed them at all... you know, wasn't "faster, more intense" the only directions he ever gave? wink

Lana
stick out tongue roll eyes (sarcastic) I dunno if you're being serious or joking.

Anyway, I heard that he wouldn't even allow them to ad-lib anything.

General Bondius
Yes it actually was, if you can call that directing anyway.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Lana
stick out tongue roll eyes (sarcastic) I dunno if you're being serious or joking.

Anyway, I heard that he wouldn't even allow them to ad-lib anything.
I was being semi-serious. He is always mocked with the "faster, more intense" thing by his actors (and he even mocks himself sometimes), saying that that was all he ever said.

I think they were allowed to adlib... I remember reading in the Making Of book him saying that what's on the page isn't set in stone, that they could vary it if they wanted...

HAROLD
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Natalie can't act to save her life in this movie... I was glad to see her go. If Natalie can't act, why did she recieve a Golden Globe Award and an Academy Award nomination for Closer?

Her acting ability is fine, it's just that Padme is a very blandly written character.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by HAROLD
If Natalie can't act, why did she recieve a Golden Globe Award and an Academy Award nomination for Closer?

Her acting ability is fine, it's just that Padme is a very blandly written character.

He said in this movie...

DeVi| D0do
Indeed. She was terrible in this movie. Ewan (and even Hayden at times) managed to pull off the wooden dialogue, why couldn't she? A good actor doesn't need a good director.

HAROLD
NAtalie is by far one of the best performances in this movie, you want to see bad acting, tak e alook at anakin. I'm attempting to excogitate as to how you could say that. I was actually surprised to see that Hayden's performance was among the best in the film.

And that's not to say Natalie was bad. Again, Padme is just a weak, uninteresting character.

HAROLD
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
He said in this movie... I know.

Lana
Originally posted by HAROLD
I'm attempting to excogitate as to how you could say that. I was actually surprised to see that Hayden's performance was among the best in the film.

And that's not to say Natalie was bad. Again, Padme is just a weak, uninteresting character.

Hayden's? Ewan completely stole the show!

DeVi| D0do
I'd say Ian stole the show... stick out tongue

Darth Halo
you would say that being that his palpatine picture is plastered all over your sig. By the way Devil did you enjoy the deviled eggs. I think Ewans acting was the best as compared to Hayden's. Some things didn't feel real maybe cause when you label someone as Darth Vader I am used to seeing a black helmeted dude. So when I see this snot nose punk be vader I was like whoa what a whiny ***** Vader was how did he ever become one of the most feared dictators in the galaxy? He did not make the transition of Anakin to Vader very well. I guess I have to accept GL F@*$ ups

General Zodiac
This turned into a forum about the actors...cool.

Mstr GEKA
I'll have to agree... that first breath was awsome. Especially with that very high sound hust before it.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by Darth Halo
you would say that being that his palpatine picture is plastered all over your sig. By the way Devil did you enjoy the deviled eggs.
I'm not a great cook... and I couldn't quite figure out how to 'devil' an egg. And I figured it would be quite hard to get my hands on a dodo egg considering, ya know, they're extinct and all...

I like Palpatine's character, that's why he's on my sig. That and that evil smile he's doing... I think Ian is the best actor in the entire saga. Ewan did an excellent job in Episode III too, but not as excellent as Ian...

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Mstr GEKA
I'll have to agree... that first breath was awsome. Especially with that very high sound hust before it.

I loved hearing Anakin gasping just before the mask closed.

matreid
The best scene was Padme dieing and Anakin getting sliced up. Good riddens.

DeVi| D0do
Happy Dance

General Zodiac
Did you see Anakin's eyes widen when the Vader mask came down?

Wickerman
To get the thread back on topic:
Yeah, i got the shivers when he took his first breath. I don't remember, but i think i also said "F*CK YEAH* embarrasment Also, the whole widening eyes before the mask came on and the way he saw the world in red through the mask.....they were brilliantly done.

~wickerman~

DarkYoda
Lucas does allow some room for his actors to adlib. Remember Han Solo on the Death Star in Episode IV... "We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" That was completely made up by Harrison Ford. laughing

Cipher
That whole scene, starting with lightning, was VERY cool.

Wickerman
Originally posted by DarkYoda
Lucas does allow some room for his actors to adlib. Remember Han Solo on the Death Star in Episode IV... "We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" That was completely made up by Harrison Ford. laughing

laughing yeah, i had forgotten about that little thing. Although i just found out he made that up a short time ago sad

~wickerman~

ickeris2003
The best part was watching jar jar being killed by the clonetroppers... oh wait that scene was cut off, oh well evil face
But hearing vader breathe for the first time was really awesome.

R2D2-89
m hmm very cool

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by DarkYoda
Except it was Irvin who diercted that film, not Lucas... stick out tongue

bruthaindahood
U weird smile

bruthaindahood
Yeah I liked seeing how he saw because that meant thats how he saw luke and it explains why he was willing to die to see lukeOriginally posted by Wickerman
laughing yeah, i had forgotten about that little thing. Although i just found out he made that up a short time ago sad

~wickerman~

bruthaindahood
Originally posted by Wickerman
To get the thread back on topic:
Yeah, i got the shivers when he took his first breath. I don't remember, but i think i also said "F*CK YEAH* embarrasment Also, the whole widening eyes before the mask came on and the way he saw the world in red through the mask.....they were brilliantly done.

~wickerman~

Yeah I liked seeing how he saw because that meant thats how he saw luke and it explains why he was willing to die to see luke

unno
Except it was Irvin who diercted that film, not Lucas... stick out tongue
No, it was Lucas. Read the credits.

Unno

jango fat
It was Irvin Kerschner

jimmy986
Irvin directed Empire not a new hope

Red Superfly
*slaps KMC members*

Call yourself Star Wars fans?

*gets out pointy stick*

Lucas did 4, Kirshner did 5.

*hits KMC memebers with pointy stick*

Nactous
who did 6.

DeVi| D0do
do'h! Serves me right for not reading the post first... I thought we were talking about the "I love you" "I know" adlib... my bad.

But I thought the bit in Episode IV was written in the script but Ford never read that part until just before shooting it to make it feel like an adlib...

Richard Marquand directed Episode VI, though Lucas had quite a lot to do with it including directing second unit at times...

Lleekenobi
Originally posted by ESB- 1138
Is it me or when Vader took his first breath, was that the greatest moment in the movie or do I just like Vader to much.

I think your right it was the best bart because it made the cricle complete. This was what everyone was waiting for.

starwarsrules14
I got shivers during that seen but it wasn't my favorite. I liked Obi-Wan yelling at Anakin. It was still a really good scene though.

Altar[1stONE]
I think portmans performance in the scene where obi wan asks where anakin is could have been turned up a notch. But she diffently hit a soft spot in the rumination scene. So over all , it was her best performance out of the trilogy. But sometimes she can really suck. And i wish people would stop complaining about haydens performance, honestly i couldnt picture anyone else playing that part.

Dan Skywalker
Vaders single breath of an amazing scene and sent a shiver through me. Not my favourite part but deffinatly in the top 5.

Jedi Shmedi
I'd say Ian stole the show... stick out tongue

R2 stole the show, he OWNED Ep III :P

On a side note, how rediculous do you think James Earl Jones felt delivering that show-stopping "NNnnooooOOOOOooooOOOOOO!!!!!1111"

roughrider
I noticeed it through several screenings of the film - the audience was holding its breath, until the first sound of the respirator started. We were all sitting on pins.
When he speaks for the first time, and we hear James Earl Jones, it was like a wave of awe washed through us all. Amazing.

Jones saying "NOOOO" works just as well for me as if he said "RAAAGGGHHHHH" - the character needs this moment of rage and sorrow. He has sold his soul for nothing; he destroyed that which was most precious to him. Nothing to live for now, except for what comfort the Dark Side brings.

Lightning_Count
i too wish people would stop slating Haydens performance, it was perfect in this movie and i can't see anyone else playing his role either. Ewan was awesome and so was Ian. Natalie i think had her best role in this movie too although it was shorter than in the other movies.

the bit where vader says "nooooooooooooo" should've been replaced with "aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhh" and as the camera pans out, the whole building starts to shake or something due to his rage.

my favourite scene in the whole movie was the bit from where anakin see's obiwan standing in the doorway of the ship while he's talking to padme, his conversation with obiwan and the first couple of scenes of their epic duel. (more than one particular scene but i like those bits the most, its just awesome!!).

JediStang
Yeah, i feel you, ESB. That was a really awesome part. I had goosebumps shooting up my spine, and there wasn't a sound in the theater when that helmet went on....I feel you bro, even if you do like vader a little too much

Happy Dance

JediStang
Originally posted by Nactous
who did 6.

Richard Marquand

Check his Bio

He actually wanted to get Spielberg to do it, but since he dropped out of the directors guild, writers guild, and the MPA, he couldn't.

tpaquin
Except it was Irvin who diercted that film, not Lucas... stick out tongue Irvin did not direct a new hope....

Gary Kurtz did.

Jedi Priestess
what is UP with all the ancient thread bumping? messed

DrDoom101
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
Press F5

what does that do?

roughrider
Originally posted by JediStang
Richard Marquand

Check his Bio

He actually wanted to get Spielberg to do it, but since he dropped out of the directors guild, writers guild, and the MPA, he couldn't.

Spielberg says Lucas never gave him the opportunity for any Star Wars, though he's been interested. I don't think his directing style would bring anything to the saga; he's never made a film set off Earth or outside regular human history. Kershner and Marquand were on the set with the actors because Lucas couldn't be there, then - he was dealing with the big producing picture, writing, running his new empire. They both had heavy instruction from him about what the films are about, and what they are supposed to achieve. Not every director can do that, deal with a heavy producing hand. Indiana Jones, Lucas and Spielberg were absolutely 50-50. Star Wars, SS wouldn't even be given the whole picture and have to ask Lucas continuous questions, like Marquand did.
The other two finalists for the ROTJ job were David Lynch and David Cronenberg. Lynch dropped out, said he couldn't deal with so many instructions.

overlord
Originally posted by DrDoom101
what does that do?

It's called refreshing, it allows you to reload your internet browser for example.

overlord
Originally posted by ESB- 1138

I can't remember it happening. I was probably already fast asleep during the second half of the movie.

freefly
Originally posted by JediStang
Richard Marquand

Check his Bio

Spot on. Stated very clearly in Empire building : the remarkable, real-life story of Star Wars by Garry Jenkins

freefly
Except that it was George who dropped out not Spielberg

El_NINO
How can you say SS would make a bad director for star wars, I think he would have done a very good job directing. He would have known which scenes were very important and which scenes needed more dialogue.

overlord
Scooby doo: "Did someone say SS?"

roughrider
Originally posted by El_NINO
How can you say SS would make a bad director for star wars, I think he would have done a very good job directing. He would have known which scenes were very important and which scenes needed more dialogue.

I'm saying his style isn't compatable with the style Lucas had established with the first film, onward. The panavision frames composed with Kurosawa-like statleness, the constant-crosscutting between multiple characters and plots - his style is to follow one character or a small group in one place at a time.
Interestingly, with ROTS, the rerelease of THX-1138 and thinking back to American Graffiti, Lucas has shown to be less sentimental and more prone to ambiguous, harsh realities than Spielberg - who's films, no matter what hell the charcters go through, almost always end happily. How could he direct Anakin to cause the death of his wife and the Jedi order? Evil isn't supposed to win!

overlord
I agree.
Just look at the scene Spielberg did direct. FREAKING HORRIBLE!!!

vader519
Remeber though, GL wasnted SS to direct ROTJ, but because of all the problems with the Directors guild, GL left, and that meant if SS wanted to direct a star wars film, he would have to leave too, and he choose not to. I think it would have been great if he had done one movie.

roughrider
If Lucas really wanted to direct ROTJ, he would have. He was still in retirement from directing. Did Richard Marquand leave the Director's Guild to direct ROTJ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.