Do you think George Lucas is a good director????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Bondius
I personally think he suks, hes probabbly the greatest movie maker of all times and one hell of a producer, but as a director... jees he really sucks.

Ast Rofan
I think he is good director, but not without weaknesses.

amity75
He's more machine now. Twisted and evil...

Ken Kenobi
This deals directly with Episode III...how?

Moving to Movie Discussion.

mysterio69
well, it's probably because he just does whatever the hell he wants.

General Bondius
MMM, because we are talking of how he directed episode 3

DeVi| D0do
I'll post this here as well...

I think he's a very talented director (in terms of the movie) - he's not great at directing actors though. But Natalie could have done better even with what she was given. She almost ruined every scene she was in.

Cinemaddiction
Nah, let's talk about him in general because I've been waiting for someone to pose this question.

Personally, I think George Lucas had what it took to become one of the greatest director/writer/producers of all time. Both "THX-1138" and "Star Wars" were fantastic pieces of Science Fiction. Then, he allowed Irvin Kershner to direct "ESB", which was epic. Finally, once he saw how profitable the franchise was, he decided to broaden his target audience to include kids, and invented the Ewoks. That, being the beginning of the end of his career.

He lost his touch and vision after ROTJ. Whoring out his brainchild marketing wise, deciding to take up the director's chair with his poorly scripted new trilogy, he just dug his grave furthur.

To hear he just won an AFI Lifetime Achievement award was hilarious. He's milked people out of millions, stabbed dedicated fans in the front, and became a capitalist pig. Granted, his influence on the genre is undeniable, but it was one, maybe two movies.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Nah, let's talk about him in general because I've been waiting for someone to pose this question.

Personally, I think George Lucas had what it took to become one of the greatest director/writer/producers of all time. Both "THX-1138" and "Star Wars" were fantastic pieces of Science Fiction. Then, he allowed Irvin Kershner to direct "ESB", which was epic. Finally, once he saw how profitable the franchise was, he decided to broaden his target audience to include kids, and invented the Ewoks. That, being the beginning of the end of his career.

He lost his touch and vision after ROTJ. Whoring out his brainchild marketing wise, deciding to take up the director's chair with his poorly scripted new trilogy, he just dug his grave furthur.

To hear he just won an AFI Lifetime Achievement award was hilarious. He's milked people out of millions, stabbed dedicated fans in the front, and became a capitalist pig. Granted, his influence on the genre is undeniable, but it was one, maybe two movies.

Ouch! confused

Cinemaddiction
I've never been one to supress how I feel about people or things, lol.

DeVi| D0do
I agree with this.

THX 1138 is an amazing film.

I do think he deserved the AFI though. He has made an enourmous contribution to film and filmmaking...

JKozzy
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
I think he is good director, but not without weaknesses. Ditto.

General Bondius, let's see if you do any better. Then we can start dealing out 'George Lucas sucks' left and right.

Cinemaddiction
Let's not instigate one another.

The thing is, George Lucas, in principle, is an opportunistic hack. There's a lot to support this opinion, should anyone else share it, but I feel as if it's an underlying truth, and if someone were to put their mind to it, they could do what George Lucas has done theoretically. Tarantino has done it easily, except QT can write a coherent script. Lucas is recognized for his INFLUENCES more than he is for his actual accomplishments.

DeVi| D0do
I'm interested in finding out more about these smaller projects he keeps saying he wants to do...

BackFire
I gotta agree with C-dic on this.

A promising director who is now mediocre.

Cinemaddiction
They're all Star Wars related projects, and of course, fan appeasements. They line his pockets, he'll scratch their back. Sad but true.

General Bondius
If i do any better what???

DeVi| D0do
They're all Star Wars related projects, and of course, fan appeasements. They line his pockets, he'll scratch their back. Sad but true.
I hope you're wrong. He is capable of much more.

WindDancer
Never seen THX 1138 nor do I care for it. The only film that truly has made me appreciate Lucas (aside from the obvious SW) is American Graffitti. A film so rich and fill with memorable scenes that is in a way timeless. Plus the music is incredible great! Wolf man is yo daddy!

Lucas a Good director? Well, what do you consider a good director? What director doesn't have his/her flaws? There is no such thing as perfect movie so how in the world are you going to find a perfect director? My all time favorite directors like Kurosawa, Tarantino, Lang, have their flaws in their movies. Despite their flaws are they still good? I have my own issues to pick with Lucas, but I would never label the man as terrible or worse. I maynot like what he did with his SW franchises that doesn't mean I'm going to sink the guy down the gutter.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by General Bondius
If i do any better what???

Make a better film than Lucas.

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I hope you're wrong. He is capable of much more.

Proven by what, exactly? Why would he wanna throw away his meal ticket?

DeVi| D0do
THX1138 and American Graffiti are both great films. I'd love to see him do more films like these. Of course, in recent years there is no evidence to support the fact that he is even able to make films like this anymore... but I have faith in him, albeit it may be blind faith.

Yuxa
Lucas is a great director. no one can match the imagination of his films. Not even lotr can be compare to Lucas work. you people are idiots for bashing George.

DeVi| D0do
Maybe if you gave some rational explanations I would respect your opinions...

Yuxa
I just did. Lucas is a creative genious. what more do you want?

DeVi| D0do
Oh, of course, a creative genius. How could I have forgotten? How silly of me.

'Lucas is a creative genious' is a statement, numbnuts, not an explanation.

*sigh*

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Yuxa
Lucas is a great director. no one can match the imagination of his films. Not even lotr can be compare to Lucas work. you people are idiots for bashing George.

His "imagination" can be matched easily. Consider all the sources he borrowed from, then ask Ralph McQuarrie to design the characters. Nobodies bashing Lucas, we're giving opinions. You refer to anyone as anything else, without respecting opinions, I'll have you banned.

This is your final warning.

Cinemaddiction

*sigh*

No need to resort to insults. Be civil.

Originally posted by Yuxa
I just did. Lucas is a creative genious. what more do you want?

Genius? I know it's an opinion, but without supporting evidence, I find it hard to believe. He's an opportunist who adapted a lot of things from a lot of sources into a Sci Fi movie.

DeVi| D0do
Lucas borrowed his ideas from many different sources of which without there would be no story... But then so do most people. I think there are very few truly unique and create people, a lot of the work is plagiarised (in the loosest sense of the word.)

But I think George's ability to integrate these ideas and themes is great.

I've said this before, but probably what I admire most about George is his ability to keep his films his own. He's taken a lot of crap for some of the decisions he's made and yet he keeps on making these decisions. In the end he has come out with films he can really call his own. And that I think is an admirable thing.

Cinemaddiction
When someone's trying to define Lucas as a "genius", and an intregal part of his works are mostly borrowed, the opinion is virtually invalid. I don't get how his movies are his own, aside from him having full creative control over them, which apparently hasn't been a good thing. I mean, aside from writing/directing/producing..what is it worth to make something your own, but only care about one thing in particular? Well, two. Money and special effects, sacrificing the heart and soul of the movies being the acting and dialogue?

To me, it's worthless.

DeVi| D0do
I agree, I wouldn't call Lucas a 'genius'.

What I was really getting at was that really he doesn't care about what the critics etc. say. He's has continued to make these films the way he wants to. And I'm not saying that that's neccessarily a good thing, but it's admirable I think when these days you have so many studios being at the helm of movies.

But then that really has nothing to do with how good a director he is so I guess that's beside the point...

Now, I of course don't personally know George, but I really don't think money is a great objective of his. And in terms of him sacrificing the acting and dialogue I do knida agree. Though for a different reason. He has always said that his movies are not about the dialogue, but about the visuals and music and that these films could be viewed as silent films with just the images and music. Now, here is where I think perhaps one of his biggest mistakes with the Prequels is. Because the thing is, the dialogue IS important. When you have a scene with two people talking in a meadow for two minutes, the dialogue HAS to be important. And I just don't think he understand that.

Cinemaddiction
We're thinking alike then. The dialogue WAS a hell of a lot better in ROTS, but it was just too little, too late. I don't know what it was that got into him to make such a drastic change, just wish it were sooner. Like, 1999 sooner.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by General Bondius
I personally think he suks, hes probabbly the greatest movie maker of all times and one hell of a producer, but as a director... jees he really sucks.

Define sucks..........If you were writing your senior thesis about the movie industry, and all you had to state and back up your opinion is that "I think he sucks, and this guy on the KMC forums says he sucks too", well then that my friend..sucks.

Define sucks....If you think he sucks at what he does just because you are unhappy with star wars, well that is pretty shitty and fanboyish to be saying shit like that like you are the know all-be all of movies.

So do me a favor......Define sucks

pr1983
as a visionary, he's great...

as a director he's sadly lacking imo...

its no coincidence that the best movie of the saga was directed by somebody else...

some of the direction in rots was awful imo... way too many close ups... yes we can see anakin is conflicted... i don't need to see his nosehair you twit...

General Bondius

Mr Parker
I think at one time he was a very good director.He did after all direct the original Star Wars A New Hope which is not only still my favorite star wars movie of all time but also my favorite movie of all time,but sometime after Empire Strikes Back,he lost it though.His magic touch he had as a director, and he came up with all these weird and stupid ideas for movies.Even his last star wars movie he made which was the first Star Wars film he made which I liked since Empire,it still doesnt have the same magic and feel which Lucas gave us for the first two star wars films, A New Hope and Empire.

Cinemaddiction
Lucas didn't direct ESB, just for the record.

Mr Parker
Yeah I know he didn't direct it but he just didnt have the same great ideas anymore for Star Wars films that he still possessed while Empire was being filmed.I know that Irvin Kirshner who directed Empire Strikes Back said that he was extremely very dissapointed with Return of the jedi with the story and everything so you got to put the blame on Lucas for not coming up with something much better than what he did come up with for the ending Of Jedi.

general-pain
I agree with what someone else put. He is a great director, even if he has flaws.

Cinemaddiction,
Apparently he's going to be producing Idiana Jones 4 and directing a film called Red Tails, which is about African American fighter pilots during World War 2. Sounds pretty far from your coment about him doing just Star Wars related projects.

Cinemaddiction
Spielberg's directing Indy 4, if it happens. "Redtails" will fall in place right behind the live action SW TV show he has planned, and the new Clone Wars cartoons.

Lord_Andres
Um some say that Georgy boy's specail effects in Star Wars where so very revolutionary, buta in fact wasint it Stanley Kubrick's use of specail effects in 2001 Speace Odyssey that where the real revolution, not the once in Star Wars? surely some of you know that

general-pain
He's just going to get the TV series off the ground, he's not going to be involved in it as much as the movies. And I said that he would be producing it, not directing. And he's already stated that he's going to make art films that nobody will probably watch, and that he feels that he can afford to fail for the rest of his life. Though I do feel that if he really wants to redeem himself, he should make a romance movie with nothing but dialouge.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
Um some say that Georgy boy's specail effects in Star Wars where so very revolutionary, buta in fact wasint it Stanley Kubrick's use of specail effects in 2001 Speace Odyssey that where the real revolution, not the once in Star Wars? surely some of you know that

Not hardly. Most of the effects in "2001" were done before, except for maybe the Stargate at the end. George Pal is the godfather of Sci Fi special effects. Both he and Harryhausen revolutionized the way Sci Fi is made today. Lucas deserves credit, but it was more Ben Burtt's sound design that has the lasting influence.

Originally posted by general-pain
He's just going to get the TV series off the ground, he's not going to be involved in it as much as the movies. And I said that he would be producing it, not directing. And he's already stated that he's going to make art films that nobody will probably watch, and that he feels that he can afford to fail for the rest of his life. Though I do feel that if he really wants to redeem himself, he should make a romance movie with nothing but dialouge.

George Lucas and dialogue are like oil and water. Muchless ROMANTIC dialogue.

jaden101
he has one big problem...he cant make shots seem as dramatic as other directors could....hence i think that some of the biggest shots and scenes in ep 3 were not very emotionally profound....take the vader vader getting suited up scene...personally i think we shouldn't have seen any of the suit going on...only the mask shot was good...

then we should have seen the table rise slowly from behind with the emperor looking on...

Mr Parker
I agree with what someone else put. He is a great director, even if he has flaws.

Cinemaddiction,
Apparently he's going to be producing Idiana Jones 4 and directing a film called Red Tails, which is about African American fighter pilots during World War 2. Sounds pretty far from your coment about him doing just Star Wars related projects.

Harrison Ford has lost me as fan if he goes ahead with Indiana Jones.He is way too old for that part now.His logic is really laughable also.He said he would never consider doing the role of Han Solo again because he would be too old for it yet he apparently thinks he is young enough for Indiana Jones.whatever. roll eyes (sarcastic)

general-pain
They sould replce him.

bakerboy
Well, i think that he is a great storyteller, scripter, and visionary, but as director, he is a good director, but with his flaws. Thx1138 , american graffity and star wars were pretty good, revenge of the sith was good, and phatom menace and atack of the clones sucked. I think that he is the worst director of that generation merged from late 60s and first 70s like Spielberg, Coppola, Scorsese or De palma. Spielberg is by far a better and more creative director, as Coppola, Scorsese or De Palma are.

Cinemaddiction
I think Coppola is like Lucas, had one or two standouts, then just went on cruise control. "Apocalypse Now", IMO, is incredibly dull and overrated.

bakerboy
What are you talking about? Two or three standouts? Movies like the goodfather triology or the converstation are masterpieces. And apocalypse now dull and overrated? Man , that is one of the two or three best war movies in cinema story. When you see this movie, you can feel what Vietnam war means. Its a pure masterpiece.

bakerboy
Coppola is a much better director than lucas never was or will be.

general-pain
Best Vietnam war movies are Platoon, The Pianist and the Deer hunter. Best war movie of all time is Schindler's List.

Apocolypse now was decent but not one pf the best war movies made.

bakerboy
I desagree totally, that is one of the best war movies ever. I have never seen a more realistic and hard portrayal of the vietnam war , only platoon was in that level.

bakerboy
And the pianist isnt a movie about vietnam war. The deer hunter was pretty good, but it was more focused in the personal impact of that war in the main characters than in the war itself.

general-pain
Its just as important. It shows what can happen to people that have been involved ina war.

bakerboy
Yeah, sure that it is as important as the war itself. But if we are talking about pure war movies, apocalypse now is one of the best.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by bakerboy
What are you talking about? Two or three standouts? Movies like the goodfather triology or the converstation are masterpieces. And apocalypse now dull and overrated? Man , that is one of the two or three best war movies in cinema story. When you see this movie, you can feel what Vietnam war means. Its a pure masterpiece.

"The Godfather", sure. The rest, don't agree. "Apocalypse Now" bored me to tears. It was pretentious, dull, totally ambitious but never delivering, instead, focusing on some fat, ex-general turned voodoo priest who mutters "The horror..the horror"..then ends. "Platoon" is the definitive Vietnam movie, along with "The Deer Hunter". Much more personal and effective movies.

Coppola is a much better director than lucas never was or will be.

What sets Lucas apart from Coppola is that Lucas wrote virtually everything he directed. Coppola didn't, so in essence, Lucas is the better filmmaker overall, not necessarily director.

Best Vietnam war movies are Platoon, The Pianist and the Deer hunter. Best war movie of all time is Schindler's List.

Apocolypse now was decent but not one pf the best war movies made.

"The Pianist" is WW2, as is "Schindler's List".

"Apocalypse Now" in retrospect has very little to do with the war itself. It too is focused on one character in Martin Sheen.

general-pain
"
"The Pianist" is WW2, as is "Schindler's List".

I said best war movie in general.

Cinemaddiction
I said best war movie in general.

Best Vietnam war movies are Platoon, The Pianist and the Deer hunter.

You referred to "The Pianist" as a Vietnam War movie, and I was just pointing out that they were both WW2 flicks.

general-pain
Sorry.

Lord_Andres
Well anyway I think George was a good director he certantly isisnt a good directer anymore, the latest SW was a bit good, better then I expected, but nuthing to come close to the first 2 of the old trilogy, now his altest stuff wasint anything special thats fir sure, I was a bit pissed of when I saw the Ben Hur ripoff race in epi1, thats just as so today's directors, ripping of all the greats, I hope he wont make anymore movies, I think we'r better of wthout them, he sure did boost the Specail effects that I give him

bakerboy
I totally desagree, apocalypse now was a masterpiece, nothing dull or boring. Is a true portrayal of the vietnam war, not only in martin sheen character, but in marlon brando's or in Sheen's partners. Absolutely masterpiece.

And coppola is clearly a better filmaking than lucas. Maybe isnt not as good as a scripter, but in the goodfather movies, specially in the first two, are more true cinema than in any of lucas movies.

Cinemaddiction
Nothings clear when it's your opinion against mine. Try not to sound so "matter of fact" when you're putting your opinion out there.

bakerboy
Nothing is matter of fact. There are only opinons.

Lord_Andres
Well if ther is one thing that is boring its Godfather 2, the only good part was Robert Deniro when shown in the past in italy, that was the best part, seeing Al.P and the others was s o o o du ll boring.....

Cinemaddiction
Nothing is matter of fact. There are only opinons.

laughing out loud

Tell that to yourself, man. You come across like what you say is the gospel. I make it a POINT to let everyone know it's strictly my opinion, as if they didn't already know.

bakerboy
What are you talking about? I post my opinions just like that, personal opinons. If you think that i think that my opinions are the only valid stuff is your problem, but nothing more different than my intention.

WindDancer

*sigh*

I think some fans (not saying you) tend to confuse Lucas creative writting skills with directing. Which of course are two very different things. Sure, Lucas has a grand imagination but directing skills is something he lacks occasionally in certain films.

bakerboy
And, i forget one. I really think that the goodfather part two , as the first one, are two of the best movies ever.

general-pain
Great director, but has some flaws.

Mr Parker
Another factor on why I think Lucas at one point was a really good director but lost his magic touch around when Jedi was being filmed was he also made another great flick with American Graffiti which came before Star Wars.So in his early years he was a very good director I think.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
Well anyway I think George was a good director he certantly isisnt a good directer anymore, the latest SW was a bit good, better then I expected, but nuthing to come close to the first 2 of the old trilogy, now his altest stuff wasint anything special thats fir sure, I was a bit pissed of when I saw the Ben Hur ripoff race in epi1, thats just as so today's directors, ripping of all the greats, I hope he wont make anymore movies, I think we'r better of wthout them, he sure did boost the Specail effects that I give him

Very well said Lord_Andres.I could not have said it better myself. rock thumb up thumb up

chubbychipmunk
i think he's an awesome director

LordSorgo
Let's not instigate one another.

The thing is, George Lucas, in principle, is an opportunistic hack. There's a lot to support this opinion, should anyone else share it, but I feel as if it's an underlying truth, and if someone were to put their mind to it, they could do what George Lucas has done theoretically. Tarantino has done it easily, except QT can write a coherent script. Lucas is recognized for his INFLUENCES more than he is for his actual accomplishments.

He makes more money than all of us put together, so who cares!

Cinemaddiction
I do? Money isn't a measure of anyone's greatness.

Smasandian
That's true.
But some people think money equals greatness.

If im not mistaken, hasnt George Lucus done alot of the creation and improvement of special effects (ILM) and improvement of sound and video (THX)?

As a director though, not soo good. The last three Star Wars are an example of this. Just think if Lucus hired somebody like Chris Nolan to do atleast one of them, how much better the movie would of been.

@F1
One day some one will write a book about him, someone who worked along side him for years. One chapter will be about how he completely messed up the prequels, because of his own selfishness. How he couldn't do a love scene to save his fat arse. And how he made Natalie Portman look like a complete Dodo in Episode III. And you say C-Dic he didn't direct ESB, no wonder its my Favourite.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.