Is Sidious afraid of Obi-Wan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

king_arthur
Grevious was a mere distraction to get Obi-Wan off Corascant. During this time, Sidious unveiled his last act to turn Anakin to the darkside. Why send Obi-Wan away though? Yes, Anakin and Kenobi were best friends, but Anakin was already walking the path to evilness. Was Sidious afraid that Obi-Wan could save Anakin?

At the beginning of the movie, Sidious says, "No, leave him". Yes, Sidious definately wanted to get rid of Obi-Wan.

Mist
obiwan had influence over anakin.....plus, as seen in the duel, in case anakin did go darkside, he could put up a good fight.

DarkYoda
*possibly*

Remember, Obi-Wan did kill Darth Maul. That had to upset Sidious just a little bit! wink

Mist
sidious didnt send obiwan though...the council chose him as the best choice...

king_arthur
They sent Kenobi instead of him and that just pissed Anakin off more. Sidious probably expected this.

Wickerman
Originally posted by Mist
sidious didnt send obiwan though...the council chose him as the best choice...

Was just gonna post that myself. But yeah, concerning the Dooku duel, i'd say Palpatine wanted to leave Obi Wan there simply because:

1. One less jedi - remember kids, the only good jedi is a dead jedi thumb up
2. Obi Wan's close relationship with Anakin might've swayed him if he had known from the start (therefore prolonging and maybe even interfering with Palpatine's plans)

~wickerman~

Neo_Version 7
A battle between the two would've been awesome.

(As long as Obi-Wan lasts around a minute stick out tongue)

Wickerman
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
A battle between the two would've been awesome.

(As long as Obi-Wan lasts around a minute stick out tongue)

Agreed. And also said by Yoda when Obi wants to switch places with Yoda wink

~wickerman~

Neo_Version 7
What if Mace and Obi-Wan took Palps on together?

What are the chances they come out victorious? 40%? stick out tongue

Wickerman

run along to the Star Wars vs. forum, do a few searches, read a few threads and find out thumb up

~wickerman~

king_arthur
When Sidious senses Anakin is in trouble - I think he understands that Obi Wan is more powerful. Although I'm pretty sure he is aware that Obi Wan could get through to Anakin and stop him from turning.

viking12344
Obiwan was the good angel on Anakin's shoulder saying "dont do it!" Sidious, rightfully so, figured if he could get rid of that calming influence, he could turn anakin. Sidious was a bloody genius.

DiamondBullets
If it was Obi attempting to arrest the Chancellor instead of Mace--Palpatine woulda been a dead man. I doubt Anakin would chop off Obi's arm. Anakin and Mace's relationship got off to a rocky start when Windu didn't want him to become a Jedi when he was just a child. He also didn't let Anakin become a master. I dont think little Ani had much trouble cutting off Mace Windu's arm.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by king_arthur
When Sidious senses Anakin is in trouble - I think he understands that Obi Wan is more powerful. Although I'm pretty sure he is aware that Obi Wan could get through to Anakin and stop him from turning.

senses that obi is more powerful? Obi is not more powerful, not by a long shot. Anakin is far more powerful then Obi is. thier battle just goes to show you that power doesn't always win a fight. and that the arrogance of the darkside is a huge weakness.

ummm, they would prolly beat palps. but Yoda and Windu would be a better choice.

Obi is not that strong, hes above average, but not in the same league as Yoda, Mace, Palps, and Anakin. not by a long shot.

also Obi is very lucky, which is a funny contrast because in ANH he says "in my experience there is no such thing as luck" yet hes gotta be the most lucky Jedi ever.

Neo_Version 7
Yeah, I would say Obi-Wan isn't in their league but is a great Jedi regardless.

You can see how Obi-Wan is when Dooku mentions in Ep.II while they first start dueling:

"Master Kenobi, you dissapoint me. Master Yoda holds you in such high regard."

???

Any idea why Yoda does that?

Oswald Kenobi

Considering that Windu handled Sidious pretty well, I'd say the odds are more like 70%.

Darth Travizzle

Dude, they would've beaten Palps because if it weren't for Anakin cutting off Mace's hand, Mace would've beaten Palps. So if Obi-Wan and Mace took on Palps together, they would've killed the ugly sad-sap.

king_arthur
Anakin always remains more in control when Obi-Wan is there because of their bonds with each other and wanting to make Obi-Wan proud of him.

Notice that every time Anakin falls, it is only after Obi-Wan is taken out of the picture. The Sand People, Dooku's execution, and his final fall and following raiding of the Jedi Temple, which all occured when Obi-Wan was seperated from Anakin.

Sidious knows this. This is why he tries to keep the two separated or get Obi-Wan killed. He can't kill him himself, that would turn Anakin against him, but he keeps trying to have him killed by others, left behind or sent away.

Paul-Muad'Dib
Well Sidious knew what kind of influence Obi-Wan has on Anakin, so its obvious he wanted to get rid of him. Someone has mentioned that Obi-Wan is very lucky and not in the league with other main characters of the force. I agree that he is not as powerful as Yoda or Sidious but what gives him equality in battles with Darth Maul or Anakin is his concentration and clear mind, he is the most obedient jedi and there is no sign of arogance in him. If he has a task in front of him, he will try to finish it, no matter what. I would put that in front and not his luck.

Red Superfly
Sidious steers clear of Obi-Wan because Obi-Wan has pictures of Sidious in a red neglege and high heels getting his bizzle on with a couple of greyhounds.

What the f**k?

DeVi| D0do
But Obi-Wan has longer hair in Episode II...

huh

Red Superfly
Good point.

Then again, the power of the beard adds +2 agility and 1337ness to your skillz.

Obi-Wan hax!

Darth Travizzle
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Sidious steers clear of Obi-Wan because Obi-Wan has pictures of Sidious in a red neglege and high heels getting his bizzle on with a couple of greyhounds.

What the f**k?
eww... sick

king_arthur
I don't think Anakin would have turned if Obi-Wan had been there. After all (in the novel) he wants to talk to Obi-Wan to tell him about Palpatine being the Sith Lord - not Mace. Obi-Wan's absence was highly important in Palpatine's plan.

JediMasterLuke5
This topic is insain why would possibly the greatest sith ever be afraid of a second rate jedi?

Darth Somebody
Obi-Wan and Anakin versus Palpatine?

Anakin is not at the apex or the pinnacle of his power. Individually, they are by far NO match for Palpatine. Now. They work well together. So. Anakin - reckless fool that he is - will charge Palpatine. Palpatine, seeing that Anakin can't be turned, will flip over him, pull out his lightsaber, and cut his head off.

Thusly the TRUE threat is gone. Obi-Wan is tough. But Palpatine's Force powers and lightsaber skills are easily beyond him. Yoda said it himself:

"Powerful enough to defeat Sidious, you are not."

DiamondBullets
Obiwan wasn't "lucky" like somebody said, he had about 20 years on Anakin and had been a Jedi since infancy. And unlike Dooku, HE wasn't elderly. On top of that he never lost his cool or rushed things, he was excellent at playing defence and baiting his opponents into traps.

king_arthur
If Anakin had walked in on Obi-Wan and Sidious dueling, it would have been a lot less likely that he would have turned especially since I don't believe Obi-Wan would have tried to kill Sidious at that point either.

mysterio69
Originally posted by king_arthur
If Anakin had walked in on Obi-Wan and Sidious dueling, it would have been a lot less likely that he would have turned especially since I don't believe Obi-Wan would have tried to kill Sidious at that point either.
sure obi-wan would have killed palpy. "i will do what i must." is what he says to anakin. if he can **** anakin up because he feels he must, then he could've sure as shit killed palpy...if he had the chance.

Vanquish
Since when is Obi wan a second rate Jedi? Obi would have put up a really good fight vs palps I think. I seriously doubt he could kill him, but he could have lasted a long time. We have seen him easily block force lightning, and we know that getting the better of him with a saber is next to impossible because he is so good at defense. He is also agile enough and young enough to physically dodge anything palps throws at him with the force.

Actually, next to Yoda, I think Obi wan would have the second best chance to kill palps of all the jedi's, including anakin. Anakin would die a lot faster to palps then obi would.

cameron666
Sidious knew Obi-Wan was what kept Anakin good. Obi-Wan was like a brother to anakin.

king_arthur
Sidious knew the council wouldn't let Anakin go to take on Grievous. And that in turn would make Anakin feel more left out, and help turn him more to the dark side.

If it had been Obi-Wan to confront Sidious, Anakin might not have turned. To the person that said Obi-Wan is an angel on Anakin's shoulder, telling him what to do, very true. Anakin is confused when Kenobi is not there, and with Palpatine talking lies it doesn't help too much either. Anakin should have gone with Obi-Wan to kill Grievous.

Valar Melkor
Sidious' fear for Obi Wan was merely this: he knew he was the only one who could prevent his turn to the Dark Side. ANakin respect Obi Wan unconditoinally. Windu and Yoda he did not like. Obi Wan was a threat to Anakin's turn. we all know this.

DarthMaxum
Originally posted by DiamondBullets
If it was Obi attempting to arrest the Chancellor instead of Mace--Palpatine woulda been a dead man. I doubt Anakin would chop off Obi's arm. Anakin and Mace's relationship got off to a rocky start when Windu didn't want him to become a Jedi when he was just a child. He also didn't let Anakin become a master. I dont think little Ani had much trouble cutting off Mace Windu's arm.

You give obi-wan too much credit. He only beat Darth Maul by luck and got his butt handed to him twice by Count Dooku. Cleary the force of luck has truly been on his side.

The Biker Scout
Sideous was a coward, a phantom menace and used Vader as he did all his apprentices for self gain. Alike the most powerful of Jedi, he too is strong in the ways of the force- Dark side of the force. His undoing in Jedi (ROTJ) was that fate to which he played a role in his younger days.

The whole speech about Darth Plageous and his apprentice... he could save not himself from a certain undoing. Defeated by vader in Jedi proves this. Sideous may have been afraid of Obi-Wan, Yoda and even Luke...this is why he stood behind Vader throughout the latter part of the saga.

Valar Melkor
Nobody can dispute the skills of Obi Wan as a Jedi. In episode 3, his skills were remarkable. As powerful as Anakin in Ep3, yes. As Anakin grows, he would naturally gain more power. I noticed there are a lot of Anti-Sith people around here. It's ok to love the Jedi, let's remember there are several thousand of them and only two sith at a time. Any true star wars fan will acknowledge both the Sith and Jedi as powerful

Cipher
Sidious wasn't the least bit afraid of Obi-Wan.

He was gauging Anakin's dedication to his friend and mentor.
Plus, if he could get rid of Obi quickly, it could make the job easier.

vader476
Did you notice?
Obi-wan has NEVER come face to face with Darth sidious

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by Vanquish
Since when is Obi wan a second rate Jedi? Obi would have put up a really good fight vs palps I think. I seriously doubt he could kill him, but he could have lasted a long time. We have seen him easily block force lightning, and we know that getting the better of him with a saber is next to impossible because he is so good at defense. He is also agile enough and young enough to physically dodge anything palps throws at him with the force.

Actually, next to Yoda, I think Obi wan would have the second best chance to kill palps of all the jedi's, including anakin. Anakin would die a lot faster to palps then obi would.

HAHAHAHA if little (b)obi wasn't a match to Dooku, do you really think he would give a decent stand against palps?? You must be completly deranged. Not ofense intended but you must keep taking your pills. You can't stop your treatment like that. laughing

sexyking
Originally posted by Darth_Rankkor
HAHAHAHA if little (b)obi wasn't a match to Dooku, do you really think he would give a decent stand against palps?? You must be completly deranged. Not ofense intended but you must keep taking your pills. You can't stop your treatment like that. laughing

Your comment is flawed yes there is a possibility that obi could have beaten sid. Your saying obi cant because he lost to dooku but didn't he beat anakin who killed dooku so whats your point.

General Zodiac
Obi-Wan did defeat the Jedi who killed Count Dooku like King said.

Paul-Muad'Dib
C'mon people you cannot make such conclusions about some unseen fights. It seems that only few people can make some objective talking on this forum (and i am not saying i'm one of those, but i try to be as objective as i can be). In my opinion Obi-Wan could have fight against Sidious pretty well although he is not as powerful as old m8. People say that Anakin is far more powerful than Obi-Wan but in their fight we can clearly see equality, so i guess he could stand up to Sidious (meaning that he wouldn't die like in 5 seconds). Well its obvious that we cannot compare characters due to their fights because some things would not make sense, for example Dooku had a small fight with Yoda and seemed he had handled it pretty well, so then in Episode III he fights against Anakin and he is beaten too easily in my opinion, so i think its lame how the fights are shown in the movies.

exanda kane

My Thoughts Exactly

Rade
Ummm... Obi-Wan is one of the best Jedi's ever, if you say he wasnt more powerfull then Anakian that thats BS. Obi-Wan defeated Anakian on that God forsaken Lava pit.

Valar Melkor
I don't think anybody here is foolish enough to dispute the immense power of Obi Wan. However, let us remember, Anakin was still a youth. Obi had some 15 years more experience in using the force. Anakin's skills are clearly greater when he defeats Obi in episode 4. He does this as Vader, which makes it all the more interesting. We know Vader has less power than he did as Anakin.

At the end of the day, Anakin has more power than Obi. They are identical in the film because they are still good friends and have been master and apprentice for some time. They knew each others every move. With several years tutelage by Sidious, Obi Wan would not knew what hit him. smile

bilb
Sids is not afraid of Obi in the least.. he simply knew that his job in turning Ani would be made significantly easier with Obi out of the picture...

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by sexyking
Your comment is flawed yes there is a possibility that obi could have beaten sid. Your saying obi cant because he lost to dooku but didn't he beat anakin who killed dooku so whats your point.

My comment is not flawed if you use your head a bit. Anakin lost with ben because he was not thinking. And he did fall double, because of his pride. I'm talking about a fight between two experienced swordsman. Maul commited the same mistake like ani. They both looked down on their enemy. It's as simple as that. That's why, palps wouldn't lose against ben.

bilb
Originally posted by Darth_Rankkor
My comment is not flawed if you use your head a bit. Anakin lost with ben because he was not thinking. And he did fall double, because of his pride. I'm talking about a fight between two experienced swordsman. Maul commited the same mistake like ani. They both looked down on their enemy. It's as simple as that. That's why, palps wouldn't lose against ben.

Quite true, altho I have a sneaking suspicion Obi would have outsmarted him, if not simply outmatched him

LordSorgo
I could imagine a Sith Lord is afriad of a Jedi who is always losing his Lightsaber. And i am guessing Sidious fears Yoda as well? I mean, he is green and all....

stick out tongue

Darth Somebody
Alright. You all are severely overestimating Obi-Wan and at the same time, underestimating Palpatine. Let us look back at the facts, shall we?

Yoda - whom apparently you all assume is smarter and wiser than Palpatine - even told Obi-Wan. "Powerful enough to defeat Sidious, you are not."

Yoda didn't let Obi-Wan rush off to face Sidious because he knew that Obi-Wan would have DIED - if he ever tried to confront Palpatine. I'm sorry Vanquish - but your opinion just stinks of bias.

Obi-Wan would NEVER even get close to killing Palpatine. EVER.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Darth Somebody

That has to be the most rottenly false statement i have ever heard.

Ast Rofan
Alright. You all are severely overestimating Obi-Wan and at the same time, underestimating Palpatine. Let us look back at the facts, shall we?

Yoda - whom apparently you all assume is smarter and wiser than Palpatine - even told Obi-Wan. "Powerful enough to defeat Sidious, you are not."

Yoda didn't let Obi-Wan rush off to face Sidious because he knew that Obi-Wan would have DIED - if he ever tried to confront Palpatine. I'm sorry Vanquish - but your opinion just stinks of bias.

Agreed on all, except the Yoda smarter and wiser part, I think we will never no that.

But most definatly Obi would not stand a chance at all.

Darth Somebody
Originally posted by LordSorgo
That has to be the most rottenly false statement i have ever heard.

Lol you think he would've won? Then why didn't Yoda send him?

LordSorgo
Lol you think he would've won? Then why didn't Yoda send him?

Did Yoda win? No.

Did Obi smash Anakin's shit? Yup.

I think Obi might have had a chance. Why not? Sure, Sidious is a big bad Sith Lord who can clouds people minds, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty Lightsaber scrapping, no one knows who would have won that fight.

Cipher
Sidious could have beaten Mace if he'd wanted,
so he could have taken Obi-Wan......

Ast Rofan
Did Yoda win? No.

Did Obi smash Anakin's shit? Yup.

I think Obi might have had a chance. Why not? Sure, Sidious is a big bad Sith Lord who can clouds people minds, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty Lightsaber scrapping, no one knows who would have won that fight.

Man, I must have missed the scene where Obi-Wan whoops Anakins ass, but I keep hearing about it.

DeVi| D0do
Sidious would have kicked Obi-Wan. I very much doubt Obi-Wan was strong enough in the Force to be able to block lightning without his saber...

Valar Melkor

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
Man, I must have missed the scene where Obi-Wan whoops Anakins ass, but I keep hearing about it.

Oh, i will inform you....

Um... Was it two or three? Oh yeah! It was three limbs that got cut off by Obi Wan's complete ownage.

And i'm sure Obi would have kicked his ass again if he didn't sacrifice himself to become an all powerful being with the force.

DeVi| D0do
That's stupid. Maybe you should watch the film again...

LordSorgo
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
That's stupid. Maybe you should watch the film again...

That's stupid? That's all you have?

Pfft.... Whatever.

Ast Rofan
Oh, i will inform you....

Um... Was it two or three? Oh yeah! It was three limbs that got cut off by Obi Wan's complete ownage.

And i'm sure Obi would have kicked his ass again if he didn't sacrifice himself to become an all powerful being with the force.

Oh, let me inform you.....

Anakin was the superior during the entire fight, Obi-Wan survived as he did because of his knowledge of Anakin. He finally forced Anakin into a drastic mistake.

One move doesnt equal "complete ownage"(mature comment by the way), he outsmarted Anakin, who then made a foolish mistake.

DiamondBullets
Just cuz Anakin was aggressive and played heavy offense doesn't mean he was superior. Ani coulda made the jump, but Obiwan timed his trajectory perfectly and turned Lord Vader into a triple-amputee. (I'd like to see Vader try to do that to Obi)

Ast Rofan
Just cuz Anakin was aggressive and played heavy offense doesn't mean he was superior. Ani coulda made the jump, but Obiwan timed his trajectory perfectly and turned Lord Vader into a triple-amputee. (I'd like to see Vader try to do that to Obi)

Fair enough. But can we both agree that Obi-Wan didnt "completely own" Anakin?

DiamondBullets
No one owned anyone. The fight was a toss-up, but Vader's foolhardiness got the better of him. "True skill requires no effort"- kung-fu saying, and both of them used large amounts of effort.

Vanquish
Ast rofan, how can you even begin to assume that because Anakin was clearly backing up Obi wan in the duel, that he was in control? Do you know about Obi wans style? He fought a PERFECT fight in his own eyes. That's how he is trained to fight, and he does it better then anyone. Perfect defense and patience is what he is all about. Obi wan was backing up yes, and anakin was the aggresive one yes, but that does not mean that anakin was stronger and obi wan was losing. Anakin is rash and stupid, but his style is to press the attack. Don't assume he was in control though, because at no time during the fight was he ever in control of Obi wan.

IMO. Obi wan is stronger, because of better training and more experience. His win had little to do with knowing anakin well. They BOTH knew eachother equally well. No advantage for either fighter. Obi wan won simply because he is slightly better in combat.

BTW: The duel in ANH was supposed to look like an even draw. Because of poor special effects at the time, and bad props with unathletic actors playing the roles, it looks weak and slow. But make no mistake, if that scene was shot again now, it would be just as furious as their fight in ROTS. Also, it was supposed to show an even draw again, with Ben finally giving in to the force and becoming a ghost. It was not supposed to show vader being superior. Ben in ANH is still a good fight for Vader.

Darth Somebody
I wouldn't exactly call it an owning, Sorgo. Anakin - even as a Jedi Knight - gave Obi-Wan hell during that duel. In terms of physical strength, he was bested repeatedly. In aggression and sheer endurance - Anakin bested him. Anakin is, however, extremely rash and ignorant. Obi-Wan won through his cleverness and experience. But in raw power, Anakin was superior by far.

But Obi-Wan still won.

Rade
Ok LUCAS has said this himelf, Anakin was more Powerful then Obi-Wan but he said that Obi-Wan has more experiance witch is why he won the duel. Anakin was ignorant enough that he thought he could just jump up where Kenobi was but due to the expericance of Kenobi he sliced off his limbs in mid-air.

General Zodiac
Sidious isn't afraid of Obi-Wan. He plainned to kill the Jedi soon so why brother to save Kenobi?

darthsith19
Sidious didn't even want Obi-Wan to go, he wanted Anakin to go, remember? And that confuses me. But yeah, if Obi-Wan was there he may have been able to prevent Anakin from turning to the Dark Side and Obi-Wan also would probably have gone with Mace to arrest Palps and Mace and Obi together could destroy Palps.

NoFate007
If I were Palpatine I'd be scared shitless of Obi-Wan

1. As a padawan he KILLED your apprentice
2. He's fought hundreds of conflicts, and even managed to escape certain death virtually alone on a planet of people that want to see him die.
3. He survived the Clone Wars as a leading member of the opposition.
4. He fought your 2nd apprentice TWICE and wasn't killed.
5. He's one of the strongest in the order, I rank him above Mace and just below Yoda by a fraction. He's proved time and time again that he not only, as Anakin said, has power but has wisdom to back it up with.
6. His emotional ties to Anakin make him the 2nd biggest threat, first being Padme. Obi-Wan is wise enough, if he had to, to even trick Anakin somehow into leaving the dark side and killing Palpatine. Unfortunately Padme had to screw everything up.

So yeah, I'd be a tad frightened. That's why I think he never fought him. Obi-Wan backs up his incredible skills and intelligence by his insane luck. That's like playing head-to-head poker with a champion that has his lucky rabbit's foot, you don't mess with that lol

Bicnarok

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.