Question on Dooku

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jarus
OK, I have a question that has been bothering me for some time, and I'm hoping someone can provide an answer. What is Dooku's motivation for turning to the Dark Side?

Palpatine/Sidious' first apprentice was Darth Maul. We know little of his background, but he appears to be Sith rage incarnate. His only dialogue reveals his burning desire to reveal himself to the Jedi. When Qui Gon and him are seperated by the laser wall, he stalks like a caged animal while QGJ just meditates.

I think we can assume that Palpatine found Maul at a very young age and trained/brainwashed him in the ways of the Dark Side. His death was unexpected and Palpatine had been juggling apprentices ever since.

Then we have Dooku. A former Jedi who left the order, on good terms it would seem since Windu vouches that he could never be behind the assasination attempts on Padme. I always imagined Palpatine having to scramble for a new apprentice after Maul's death, and he came up/corrupted Dooku. But why?

Dooku's seperatist movement is supposedly opposed to the corruption of the Republic. Yet, Dooku presumable knows Sidious is Palpatine. He tells Obi Won that the Senate is under the control of a Sith lord. In Episode III Viceroy Gunray is still in league with Sidious, even though Dooku says that Gunray came to him for help.

But Dooku is the one who hired Jango Fett. And presumably he was the one who ordered the clone army under the name of another Jedi who was dead long before the order was placed. Dooku, being a Jedi himself, also could have erased the files with the planet's location on it. His entire job in Episode II was to start a war. He reports to Palpatine that "the war has begun."

So basically, everything Dooku says is bunk. But then why does he lament QGJ not being there to help him? He seems sincere in that moment. He even tries to recruit Obi Won. He later offers to spare the surviving Jedi if they surrender. He has no reason to spare them. Jedi are far too powerful to keep as prisoners to hold as hostages. He had just seen a handful of Jedi fight against incredible odds. Being a Jedi himself, Dooku surely wouldn't think he could hold Jedi as prisoners for long. And why does Dooku seem surprised when the Republic comes up with the clone army?

Any ideas/theories on why Dooku turned to the Dark Side? And what his true intentions where? Anakin turned to save Padme. What was the prize for Dooku?

chilled monkey
Dooku felt that the Jedi were betraying their own principles by serving a corrupt government. His grief over Qui-Gonn's death was also a big factor. He felt that if the Jedi had been more true to their ideals, Qui-Gonn would probably still be alive.

Plus, like Anakin, there was ego and ambition. Dooku wanted to be the best and he felt that the Dark Side would help him achieve this.

darth-yoda

Gryn Jabar
Gee, thanks, that really cleared everything up, remind me to call up Wikipedia to thank them.

darth-yoda
what do umean by that

Thornbane
I think he means that cut-n-pasted from Wik (or they cut-n-pasted from your source.)

It is the exact same text... smile

darth-yoda
yeah i no thatbut i thought he was tryin to say it was wrong

Darth Travizzle
I don't feel like reading that whole thing.

Red Superfly
Dooku = bad.

That's about it.

Valar Melkor
Dooku was always a strongly independent spirit. Yoda understood he was not happy with the way the government was. The corruption unnerved him and because the Jedi continued to serve, he left the order in rebellion. HOw coud the Jedi continue to serve a corrupt government?

Besides, it is rumoured that Dooku investigated the Sith Holicrons in the Jedi archives. He was already tampering with dark power before he left hte order. He was always interested in power. Sidious' conversion would have been very easy. Manipulating him wouldnot haev been a problem. Sidious would play on the bureacracy of the government. Dooku would love it. Hence his conversion.

SithHappens
If he thought they were serving a corrupt gov. why did he serve the leader that corrupted it. It doesn't make any sense.

Canadadude
you guys have to understand that Sith are always out to get each other. When they have the opportunity they will stab each other in the back. Dooku went with the flow in serving Sidious so that he can gain power and run the galaxy his own way. That is why he tried to get Obi Wan to join him. So that he can turn Obi Wan to the dark side and they can both take out Sidious.
Just watch The Empire Strikes Back again. Darth Vader did the same thing by getting Luke to join him and kill Sidious.
This is so unclear is the fact George Lucas's script for Episode II was so poor, that it made a lot of things unclear to the fans

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Dooku = bad.

That's about it.

You = bad.

That's not it, but i wont elaborate.

Captain REX
That's uncalled for, Sorgo. *thwaps over the head* Don't be a dick!

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Captain REX
That's uncalled for, Sorgo. *thwaps over the head* Don't be a dick!

Damnit, stop thwapin' me!

bilb
Read LOE.. it explains it pretty well

Captain REX
Yup.

FistoFan
Dooku blamed the Jedi Order for Qui-Gon's death. Qui-Gon was his padawan.

Darth_Janus
Actually, Dark Rendezvous is excellent too for Dooku insight.

bilb
Originally posted by FistoFan
Dooku blamed the Jedi Order for Qui-Gon's death. Qui-Gon was his padawan.

WTF?? messed

Darth_Janus
Actually, that's true.

bilb
err, hardly

where'd you get that?

FistoFan
What, where did I get blaming the Jedi Order or where did I get padawan.

bilb
:sigh: nevermind, i dont have time to answer inane questions

Darth_Janus
It's mentioned in one of the books.

Sorry for not being immediately obvious. I don't have my quote book right here.

Alexis_88
lol......you don't know .......what its like too be drak....lol

Captain REX
Actually, Bilb, he did blame the Order.

His thoughts were that if the Order had not committed themselves to protect the corrupt and crumbling Republic, Qui-Gon would not have died when he did.

DiamondBullets
Janus, It's explained in the official novels of both AOTC and ROTS. He felt that the Jedi were wasting their powers, talents, and time serving an institution as corrupt as the Republic. Which is why he resigned.

He joined the Sith for personal gain, and political reasons. When Ki-Adi-Mundi said that "He's a political idealist, not a murderer." in AOTC, he was right about the political idealist part. Lord Tyrannus wanted a dictatorship in which only Humans ruled the galaxy, and his wish came true 20 years after his death.

FistoFan
Here's a picture of him with Qui-Gon, Yoda, and Tyvokka:
http://www.thelightsaber.com/More/DookuYoung1.jpg
And here is his old lightsaber:
http://www.thelightsaber.com/HistorySabers/SmallPics/Dooku1SM.jpg

FistoFan
And here's Qui-Gon's padawan lightsaber:
http://www.thelightsaber.com/HistorySabers/SmallPics/QuiGonYoungSM.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.