UNANSWERED QUESTION ABOUT VADER

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dflood
i am going to post this on a new thread so more people see it and answer

why does vader wear a mask . i know it will be said he cant breath without it but WHY cant he breath without it

when he is being opperated on he is screaming not gasping for air . WHY WHY WHY

Ast Rofan
You can hear him gasping on the table.

Ken Kenobi
Look at his face when the mask is being lowered...he is gasping for air. The fire scorched his lungs.

dflood
but he is screaming his lungs out. that alone is really a sign of his breathing.

peluffo
If you look it better, he didn't even open his mouth to scream.

Nice.

Celebrate
also, when he's like dieing on the volcanic soil you can hear him breathing like he does when he's darth vader

Ast Rofan
His lungs do still work, they just cant sustain him. That is why he was able to remove it his mask at the end of jedi.

Celebrate
yea

dflood
Originally posted by peluffo
If you look it better, he didn't even open his mouth to scream.

Nice.

this is kinda irrelivent ....................the fact is he is still screaming which means he is breathin

i am suprised no one questioned this b4 because it is such a big thing of the saga

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by dflood
this is kinda irrelivent ....................the fact is he is still screaming which means he is breathin

i am suprised no one questioned this b4 because it is such a big thing of the saga

It WAS questioned before, and it was answered the same way as we just did.

dflood
i searched and i found nothing .

the answers i am getting are a bit vague . has anyone got a reasonable explanation

Ast Rofan
What happened to the blinding sig Ken?

As I said, he can still breathe, still talk, still scream. His lungs would have eventualy given out, that is what the suit does.

dflood
ok thats fairly decent . so all the suit and mask do is aid him not actually do everything for him

Ast Rofan
Basically yeah, the suit isnt what makes him breathe, it simply helps with the process.

dflood
yeah but i thought i would have seen something happen to certify he cant breath ,and that he needs the mask............... or give some sort of deffinite reason

Ast Rofan
yeah but i thought i would have seen something happen to certify he cant breath ,and that he needs the mask............... or give some sort of deffinite reason

I dont know if you noticed, but there was a scene where he was burned alive. stick out tongue

dflood
yeah but i meant something like a lung punture from a saber or something ..........not everyone who is burnt alive and survive ,dresses in a vader suit

can you see my point

Ast Rofan
They made it fairly clear, to me, that he was having trouble breathing. Look at the scene where Sidious finds him, he is obviously having trouble breathing.

mysterio69
he may have had a touch of asthma. i'm sure that didn't help.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Ast Rofan
What happened to the blinding sig Ken?

As I said, he can still breathe, still talk, still scream. His lungs would have eventualy given out, that is what the suit does.

I like red better. happy

jimmy986
well i am sure he could have survived without the suit. he would have just had to wheel an oxygen tank around. first i dont think sidious thought he would be cery threatening with that on. second, it would have been hard to chase down rebel scum with it being wheeled behind him. the opted to go with the suit. it seems pretty ovious to me why.

JKozzy
yeah but i meant something like a lung punture from a saber or something ..........not everyone who is burnt alive and survive ,dresses in a vader suit

can you see my point No, because anybody burned that badly is usually on some sort of portable resperator for the rest of his/her life.

Darth Travizzle
don't know...

kremzike
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3904616#post3904616

Originally posted by kremzike
I'm probably going to investigate this further... just because... but I can tell you that, upon my last viewing of the building scene, you can hear Vader wheezing just before the mask fits into place. I would also speculate that the reason he can't breathe on his own is because he breathed in while he was on fire. Fire feeds on oxygen, and breathing fire into your lungs will cause it to burn them from the inside. Still, I may seek out some more info on this soon. His screaming on the table wasn't as full of breath as it could've been. I figure that, at that point, his lungs were failing & would soon deteriorate to the point where he couldn't breathe at all, so before that happened, he was fitted with the suit that breathes for him.

p. skywalker
OK from a truely madical point of veiw.. i worked in an ER for animals for about a year.. I saw a few cats and dogs that had been in fires.. some badly burned and some from smoke inhaltion.. and all of them could still wimper, moan, bark, and meow!.. and some of the same died shortly after. The problem is that the lungs can't heal themselves.. Once damage is done it is done and it gets worse with impurities etc.. also look at the fact that Anakin laid there for a while. constantly breathing in all that smoke around him (causing further damage to his lungs), and if you look at his chest he is breathing and heaving heavely.

jerlark386
Yea. He probably could'nt survive any prolonged period of time without his suit. Besides, he would just look plain ugly without anyways.

dflood
thanks kremzike and p skywalker , its a bit clearer now

Bicnarok

darthmaul1
If you look when he is being brought into the lab he has an oxygen mask on, so i think it is pretty obvious that he needs it for extened periods of time, and if he did not have the Vader mask he would definitly die in a short while.
Another stupid thread.

Red Superfly
He inhaled the hot ash/fire and it damanged his lungs.

He can still breathe, but it's very hard, and after a while, he will die.

Vader, without some breathing equipment, suffers from one huge asthma attack. He can live without it for a while, but after a while he'll just choke.

dflood
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Another stupid thread.

WHY DO YOU CARE IF IT IS A BAD THREAD OR NOT ., I JUST WANT AN ANSWER . and i think you only said this to impress other members or something . who gives a crap if i start a thread , its not the end of the world .and if you ask me its a good question ,obviously i didnt know the answer ,so i asked , big deal its only a thread,.............

Bicnarok

Vanquish
The suit he is in probably does a lot more then help his breathing also. It probably is an air purifier also to clean the air he breaths, and also probably has more features.

Consider the technology in star wars times. Mechanical limbs that function as well as real limbs, death stars, lightsabers, etc... The suit isn't what is keeping him alive. The suit just makes him regain the strength he had before the accident and makes him able to rule the empire still. Vader is a lot like Grevious in that sense. More machine then metal, but still functional killers.

Think of the suit more as helping him become stronger then he was before through advanced technology, rather then the suit keeping him alive.

Lord Tyrant
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
I like red better. happy '

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooo

Mstr GEKA
eek! Had way too many bongs, reality was too hard to live... ended up with emphysema. confused

ragesRemorse
but he is screaming his lungs out. that alone is really a sign of his breathing.

Your not seriously going to try and introduce logic into a star wars movie are you?

Cipher
Precisely. Its not real.......

DiamondBullets
Sidious shoulda just given him a bacta bath.

jango fat

Darth Ravenous
Its becasue he wanted to be straight gangsta jeez

oh yeah im baaaaaack

bilb
Originally posted by p. skywalker
OK from a truely madical point of veiw.. i worked in an ER for animals for about a year.. I saw a few cats and dogs that had been in fires.. some badly burned and some from smoke inhaltion.. and all of them could still wimper, moan, bark, and meow!.. and some of the same died shortly after. The problem is that the lungs can't heal themselves.. Once damage is done it is done and it gets worse with impurities etc.. also look at the fact that Anakin laid there for a while. constantly breathing in all that smoke around him (causing further damage to his lungs), and if you look at his chest he is breathing and heaving heavely.

indeed.. saw the same thing while working as a trauma nurse.. those with bdly singed lungs can breath for a very limited time on their own but will die very quickly without some medical intervention.. One could argue that one reason that Anakin could breath enough to scream before th ehelmut was lowered is due to shock..

And yes Vaders suit does way more than control just his breathing

"Vader's life support system included a chest-worn, computerized control panel unit that regulated his respirational functions. Three slot like dataports offered diagnostic checks of his pulmonary, respiratory and neural systems. On his belt, Vader wore two small system function boxes. The one on his right featured a temperature regulation system. On his left, he wore a respiratory sensor matrix. The center buckle featured an audio enhancement unit built into the electromagnetic clasp. Durasteel armor protected his shoulders, upper ribcage and shins."

from sw.com

DarthLithic
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/injuries.html

Probably not exactly accurate, but a very good read about Vader, the suit, and his injuries. Guy went so far as to get doctor opinions on some things

General Zodiac
How does Vader go to the barthroom!? How does he eat!?

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by General Zodiac
How does Vader go to the barthroom!? How does he eat!?

In that circular white capsule in ESB when Admiral Piett told him about the force field on Hoth right before he Force-choked Admiral Ozzel. Remember?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.