time travel confusing thingy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darthburgerking
I"m sure threads like this have been posted before but oh well...
If you were to travel back in time and kill yourself would you then dissapear, but I was thinking if you dissapeared then your future self never existed and since it was you who killed you in the past would you not be dead..... or something hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say if not feel free to make jerky comments about this thread.

Shakyamunison
You can not travel into the past. There is no past or future only now and now always changes.

If you could go back into the past you would cause a paradox. There is three possible outcomes to this scenario; 1. the universe would blow up in another big bang, 2. you would find yourself back at the time machine as if nothing had happened (time reset), 3. you would kill yourself before you left and stand there wondering why you are still here (paradoxes are allowed).

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by Darthburgerking
If you were to travel back in time and kill yourself would you then dissapear, but I was thinking if you dissapeared then your future self never existed and since it was you who killed you in the past would you not be dead..... or something hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say if not feel free to make jerky comments about this thread.

If your "present" killed your "future" self then, your "past" self and your "present" self would be undisturb. But when time pass, and your "present" self is in the time where you killed your "future" self, then you'll disappear. Get it?

Oswald Kenobi
Backwards time travel is impossible. smile

Darthburgerking
yeah I know it's impossible I was just curious what would happen.

Oswald Kenobi
No, I meant traveling through time standing backwards. Maybe traveling to the past is possible.

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by Oswald Kenobi
No, I meant traveling through time standing backwards. Maybe traveling to the past is possible.

laughing out loud .......... I think it is possible too, they had a show on Science Channel on it.

mr.smiley
It's like in Timeline.Time isn't like going from New york to Chicago.Time isn't real.

Darthburgerking
Never saw that movie.

Oswald Kenobi
I say if we can go back in time, let's all buy tons of Enron stock and then short sell it just before the scandal breaks.

Shakyamunison
I say if we can go back in time, let's all buy tons of Enron stock and then short sell it just before the scandal breaks.

How do you know that's not what happened?

Oswald Kenobi
Because all of us are not billionaires right now?

Shakyamunison
Because all of us are not billionaires right now?

Did you not get the e-mail? Sorry about that. (ha ha)

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by mr.smiley
It's like in Timeline.Time isn't like going from New york to Chicago.Time isn't real.

Of course time is real.

dark1365
It's deemed impossible for time travel by some scientists:

"Say, if a man went back in time to kill his grandmother as a child, then she would have never given birth to his mother, who in turn would have never given birth to him. So if he didn't exist, how could he have travelled back in time in the first place?"

The fabric of time/space is very delicate.

hotsauce6548
OOOooooo... it makes me think in my noggin.

Freaky Zeeky
Originally posted by dark1365
It's deemed impossible for time travel by some scientists:

"Say, if a man went back in time to kill his grandmother as a child, then she would have never given birth to his mother, who in turn would have never given birth to him. So if he didn't exist, how could he have travelled back in time in the first place?"

The fabric of time/space is very delicate.

Hmmmm, got think bout that.

Evil Dead
time isn't real........it's a man made concept. There's no such thing as "time travel".

The most intelligent post of this thread was, "You can not travel into the past. There is no past or future only now and now always changes."

Anoushka
this is so coincedental i just finished watching back to the future and was thinking about the same thing messed

okay,so assuming it is possible, what are your views?

let's say,in the context of the movie,marty went back to the past and tried to get his parents together right?then he went onstage and played "Johny Be Good" ? and then a band member ran to the phone and called up the manager saying there was a new sound you just HAD to hear?it kinda brings he question as to whether HE was the one who brought back the music from the future?yet he heard it from past right?

kinda brings about a whole circle of things.

i think that's what DBK was kinda asking about,the whole idea of the thing.
yeah i know it doesn't exist,but just as a discussion,if it does,it kinda bring about a whole circle of things and so many parodies right?

mind boggling,it is messed

Evil Dead
Marvin didn't call his manager.......he called his cousin Chuck........Chuck Berry, the original writer/performer of the song. wink

since we are discussing this in the hypothetical forum of a movie......I'll induldge.

exactly. The only way time travel could possibly work (even if only in movies) is if our universe is pre-determined, fate. The whole ludicrous idea only works if every single moment of life from the big bang until our Universe's collapse was predetermined by some omnipitant being/intelligence. It's the only way to avoid a paradox. A paradox can not happen. In the movie Back to the Future the entire concept only works if it has always been predetermined that Marty McFly will go back in time, prevent his parents from meeting then get them together so they can procreate resulting in Marty McFly being born. Same with the song, Johnny Be Good. The song was around long before Marty was born........yet Marty played the song in front of Marvin Berry who called his cousin Chuck Berry to give him the song to write/perform. It only works if it was always predetermined that Chuck Berry would perform the song in the 50s........Marty would learn it in the 80s.....go back to the 50s.....play it for Marvin who could tell Chuck about it. As you said, a circle.

Anoushka
haha oops sorry about that calling his manager thinghappy

very mind-boggling messed the entire idea,to me,seems 1) very scary, 2) rather...ridiculous?heh smile

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Freaky Zeeky
If your "present" killed your "future" self then, your "past" self and your "present" self would be undisturb. But when time pass, and your "present" self is in the time where you killed your "future" self, then you'll disappear. Get it?

Actually you wouldn't just disappear.
Your past self would come to your future time and kill you.
And then later the past self would get to that point and time and be killed by his past self.
And it would go on like this forever and ever.
It's pointless really.
In the end, you're the one who dies.
You might as well just not time travel and commit suicide right then and there.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Darthburgerking

It would cause a paradox to occur because it makes no since and you can't really explain that kind of a situation.

And first of all the fact that you went back and interacted with you past self would cause a paradox, or like the in the back to the future movie, you could also just faint. But doesn't the sound of a paradox sound so much more fun and dramatic. I think so. So I'll stick with the paradox thing. A paradox would happen and the timeline would be destroyed also with the world as we know it.

So much more dramatic....................

Adam_PoE
According to physics, it is theoretically possible to travel backwards through time, but it would only be possible to travel backwards in time to an alternate dimension. Therefore, it is possible for you to kill a past version of yourself in an alternate universe, but this would not have an affect on you.

Hypothetically, if it was possible for one to travel backwards in time in his own dimension, it would be impossible for him to kill himself. This is because if his future self successfully killed his past self, his future self would not exist. Therefore, the fact that his future self exists to be able to travel backwards in time in his own dimension and attempt to kill his past self means that he can never be successful.

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
According to physics, it is theoretically possible to travel backwards through time, but it would only be possible to travel backwards in time to an alternate dimension. Therefore, it is possible for you to kill a past version of yourself in an alternate universe, but this would not have an affect on you.

Hypothetically, if it was possible for one to travel backwards in time in his own dimension, it would be impossible for him to kill himself. This is because if his future self successfully killed his past self, his future self would not exist. Therefore, the fact that his future self exists to be able to travel backwards in time in his own dimension and attempt to kill his past self means that he can never be successful.

Agreed. Thats the only way to prevent those paradoxes.

Evil Dead
what in the holy hell?

1. possible in theory.....with no possible practical application. To do so one would have to travel faster than the speed of light. As you go faster, your mass increases. As you approached the speed of light your mass would become infinite (which is why it's impossible for anything with mass to travel faster than the speed of light). To propel infinite mass you would need infinite energy. To propel infinite mass +1 you would need infinite energy +1, which is just ludicrous. It is only possible in theory........because in theory, we can just make up things like infinite energy and infinite energy +1........things that can exist in our mind where the theory is held but not in reality where we live.

2. where the hell do you get alternate dimensions? Science has never proposed such. you stole that from Back to the Future II.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as I stated earlier, the entire concept is just ridiculous. To entertain such notions is however okay if you realize that it's just "what if?". Even then, it would require predestination........that everything that ever has and ever will happen in our universe was pre-mapped and could not have happened any other way.......which means there is no such thing as choice or free will. We are all slaves to a destiny which we can not control nor change.

If you went back and time and killed yourself, you would not disappear. It would simply be the pre-ordained way that you die, mapped out at the very creation of our universe. You were destined to grow up, go back in time and kill yourself. What of the world around you? It's of no consequence as we all see our universe from a first person perspective. Once you died in the "past".......you would simple be dead, that is all of our universe you could percieve.

Atlantis001

whirlysplat
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/time_travel.html

pretty interesting big grin

Evil Dead
yes......alternate dimensions......big player in the cosmic string theory also........that's not the question...so please don't explain something so pedestrian to me. The guy up there said that physics states "According to physics, it is theoretically possible to travel backwards through time, but it would only be possible to travel backwards in time to an alternate dimension."...............and I'd love to know what physicist master minds he has been reading that even mentions time travel, much less saying that it is possible but would take you to other dimensions......

powerfulone1987
Let's not take this too seriously.

Anyway. Like people say, anything is possible.
Who would of though all those years ago that we would be where we are today. The answer is a bunch of people pictured us being where we are, some didn't and some saw us even further advanced than we are.

So just like with this time traveling thing. Anything can happen and we will see it when we see it and if we don't we just don't.

And personally with all the risk that comes along with time travel if it were possible right now. I wouldn't want to do it and I wouldn't want anybody else to do it.

It's too dangerous and affects too many people.

I hope it never comes to exist.

But I wouldn't mind if there really were alternate universes, like on the movie "The One" with Jet Li.
That would be interesting to experience. To see yourself in many different forms and ways. And whatever you did in those alternate dimensions would cause a ripple effect that would affect the past and present and and everybody in them.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
Let's not take this too seriously.

Anyway. Like people say, anything is possible.
Who would of though all those years ago that we would be where we are today. The answer is a bunch of people pictured us being where we are, some didn't and some saw us even further advanced than we are.

So just like with this time traveling thing. Anything can happen and we will see it when we see it and if we don't we just don't.

And personally with all the risk that comes along with time travel if it were possible right now. I wouldn't want to do it and I wouldn't want anybody else to do it.

It's too dangerous and affects too many people.

I hope it never comes to exist.
But I wouldn't mind if there really were alternate universes, like on the movie "The One" with Jet Li.
That would be interesting to experience. To see yourself in many different forms and ways. And whatever you did in those alternate dimensions would cause a ripple effect that would affect the past and present and and everybody in them.
To dangerous?The past is written in stone, even if time travel were possible, there would be no way to change it.Anything that happend, happend.It happened even if its not the same way we know of today. Like lets say I got back in time to meet President Lincoln.The night before the Gettysburg address I see him. He's having trouble trying to write the address so i write down the exact one i learned from my history book. The next day he says the address exactly as planned. Now who really wrote the address?It wasnt me I just took what I knew and gave it to him. It wasnt Lincoln, I gave him what he said.So who wrote it?

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Evil Dead
yes......alternate dimensions......big player in the cosmic string theory also........that's not the question...so please don't explain something so pedestrian to me. The guy up there said that physics states "According to physics, it is theoretically possible to travel backwards through time, but it would only be possible to travel backwards in time to an alternate dimension."...............and I'd love to know what physicist master minds he has been reading that even mentions time travel, much less saying that it is possible but would take you to other dimensions......

Hugh Everett and David Deutsch.

Evil Dead
2 people state this.........not the laws of physics. they propose their ideas.......ideas of 2 people, not physics.

exactly.......which is why for any time travel hocus pocus to work, it would require that everything in our universe is pre-ordained, fate, destiny, whatever you want to call it. A person could not go back and "change" something. For something to be percieved as being changed it would require that the "change" was already pre-ordained by destiny. You had no choice in changing it.......the universe was mapped out, you have no choice, you were going to change it regardless...........which really means it's not a change, it's only percieved to a person with a first person point of view as a change.

no. many things that sentence does apply to. there is much we don't know about our universe......our future advancement of technology may very well lead us to a greater understanding and general knowledge about our universe..........which may in turn lead to many things happening that we would deem impossible today. This however does not apply to the relationship between mass and energy required to move it. It's a very, very, very, very simple concept........one we already know all too well. There are no surprises in our future on this front. No new knowledge to be gained. For anything with mass to move, sufficient energy must be asserted to it. Any parapalegic can tell you that their legs cannot move because the nerves that transmit the signal to their muscles telling them to assert energy are damaged and cannot transmit the signal........and they need not to have ever even studied physics.

Atlantis001
Yes I agree that time travelling backwards is not allowed by the modern physics, but it could be possible in the future if someon prove it. The alternate dimension theory is an interpretation of the quantum mechanics, and that theory eliminate all "closed timelinks" contradictions, but it not makes time travel "backwards" a scientific fact.

debbiejo
Just you don't love physics.

Atlantis001

whirlysplat

Your seriously wrongbig grin

whirlysplat
A little on how it could be possible at least for atomic and subatomic particles

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-travel-phys/#4

Quantum tunneling does not preclude time travel eitherbig grin

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
To dangerous?The past is written in stone, even if time travel were possible, there would be no way to change it.Anything that happend, happend.It happened even if its not the same way we know of today. Like lets say I got back in time to meet President Lincoln.The night before the Gettysburg address I see him. He's having trouble trying to write the address so i write down the exact one i learned from my history book. The next day he says the address exactly as planned. Now who really wrote the address?It wasnt me I just took what I knew and gave it to him. It wasnt Lincoln, I gave him what he said.So who wrote it?

I hate this example.

It doesn't even pertain to what I said.

There are many things wrong with it that I could state but it's just too much.

Anoushka
laughing out loud that example reminds me of the one i gave from back to the future abt chuck berry and his song.

but i do kinda get what ED is saying...
although there seem to be many loopholes,like the future self going back to the past thing...

Adam_PoE
2 people state this.........not the laws of physics. they propose their ideas.......ideas of 2 people, not physics.

No, two renowned physicists.

exactly.......which is why for any time travel hocus pocus to work, it would require that everything in our universe is pre-ordained, fate, destiny, whatever you want to call it. A person could not go back and "change" something. For something to be percieved as being changed it would require that the "change" was already pre-ordained by destiny. You had no choice in changing it.......the universe was mapped out, you have no choice, you were going to change it regardless...........which really means it's not a change, it's only percieved to a person with a first person point of view as a change.

This would only be true if time is linear. If parallel dimensions exist, traveling backward in time would be possible without predestination.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Anoushka
laughing out loud that example reminds me of the one i gave from back to the future abt chuck berry and his song.

but i do kinda get what ED is saying...
although there seem to be many loopholes,like the future self going back to the past thing...

That's not really what I am talking about.

Evil Dead
not quite.

the idea is ludicrous as is.......but for time travel to occur in the examples I've given, time COULD NOT be linear. It would require pre-destination............which means all events are already planned ahead, occuring all at once. We would just be cogs going through the motions of a fate driven existence. If time were linear, the events of today affect the events of tomorrow.......which would affect the events of the next day. Back to the Back to the Future reference. If time were linear, there's no way Marty could help Chuck Berry discover the sound of "Johnny B. Good" via playing it for his cousin Marvin........as Berry had already done so 15 years before Marty was born.

was does "parallel dimensions" have to do with anything? Another dimension would simply be another part of our universe that exists on another plane (very definition of dimension...a plane)......one that we do not yet know of. It has nothing to do at all with the concept of "time".........if you somehow found yourself in another dimension at this very moment in time, it would still be this very moment in time........not 30 years ago. There are three known dimensions to our physical universe.......X plane, Y plane and Z plane. If you stumble onto a W plane..........okay, you've found another level of existence.....one that goes deeper than our current understanding, one that may not even be physical...........how does this affect the theoretical fourth dimension of "time"? Just as the other 3 planes, the phsyical ones......it is constant. It's role is merely to keep two pieces of mass from occupying the same 3 physical coordinates of our universe at once......

Adam_PoE

Evil Dead
so.........you're not talking about dimensions, you're talking about an infinite number of alternate universes......i.e. Sliders. Should have said that in the first place.......makes more sense............but just because two universes are non-communicating, how do you equate this as travelling through time by travelling from one universe to another?

Adam_PoE
so.........you're not talking about dimensions, you're talking about an infinite number of alternate universes......i.e. Sliders. Should have said that in the first place.......makes more sense............but just because two universes are non-communicating, how do you equate this as travelling through time by travelling from one universe to another?

I am not equating interdimensional travel and time travel as mutually exclusive. It is possible to travel forward in time without traveling to an alternate dimension. It is also possible to travel to another dimension without traveling through time.

However, backwards time travel is not possible within one's own dimension. This does not mean that backwards time travel is impossible. It simply means that all backwards time travel is also interdimensional travel.

Evil Dead
you're mingling words again. you mean travelling to another universe......not dimension. A dimension is a plane of existence in our universe..........there are three known to us. Even if you found a fourth....a theoretical W plane (to go along with the x, y and z planes) you would still be in the same universe, any other planes in our universe would be constant just as the 3 we know of are.

Travelling to another universe still would not equate time travel......even if an alternate universe was exactly the same as ours but 30 years behind.........it would not be time travel. It would merely be leaving one universe where the year is 2005 and entering into a universe where the year is 1975. The travel would still be parallel.....from one universe to another, not backward.

As for travelling to the future.......yes but not really. Time is merely a concept, not a real thing..........therefore it is relative to each individual human being. What seems like 5 minutes to one person may seem like 20 minutes to another. The only way to measure this man made concept is with a man made scale, a clock. You could theoretically escape Earth's gravity...........wander aimlessly in space for 30 years.......and come back to earth to find your body hasn't physically aged 30 years from lack of gravity..........it may not even seem to have been 30 years to you because you have no other humans around as a control to gauge your time gone. This ofcourse would merely be a first person perspective........you didn't physically age 30 years.......mentally, you don't feel that you have been gone 30 years..........all the same, the other 6 billion people on the planet see it as you were just gone 30 years and look good for your age.

Atlantis001

Adam_PoE

powerfulone1987
In quantum mechanics, a hypothetical universe which exists separately from our own is called a "parallel universe." It also sometimes called an "alternate universe," or an "alternate dimension."

Exactly.

So are you saying that an alternate dimension that is in a different time like 1997 or something, like at the end of the movie "The One" when they sent him to a different dimension but it really seemed like the past and everything that he had said had happened in his past was happening right then in that other dimension?

Adam_PoE
So are you saying that an alternate dimension that is in a different time like 1997 or something, like at the end of the movie "The One" when they sent him to a different dimension but it really seemed like the past and everything that he had said had happened in his past was happening right then in that other dimension?

I have not seen The One, so I could not tell you.

Atlantis001

Not saw it either, but by what you told looks like it would be really is like that. If we come back to 1997 we will be free to do anything, because everything that happened to us, happend in another dimension.

Evil Dead
yes.......

the point he's getting at is like the end of "the One".......where he goes to another Universe in the multi-verse, one that is behind ours in time.....

yes......I know this.....but if you here somebody calling it an "alternate dimension"......feel free to correct them because it is wrong. You kept throwing me off because you kept mingling the words universe and dimension as if it were the same thing.

But as you said, PARALLEL universe. Even if you were to leave our universe and enter another........you would still be travelling parallel, not back in time. Even if the date in the parallel universe is 1995, you didn't travel backward in time.........you merely travelled parallel in time to a Universe in which recorded history began 8 years after our own.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Not saw it either, but by what you told looks like it would be really is like that. If we come back to 1997 we will be free to do anything, because everything that happened to us, happend in another dimension.

What if the past was also a different Universe/dimension? You could end up in a different past, like Germany could have won WW2.

debbiejo
What if the past, present, and future are all running simultaneously at the same time....all on different frequencies......and parallel universes....Mind boggling.

Atlantis001

Adam_PoE
yes.......

the point he's getting at is like the end of "the One".......where he goes to another Universe in the multi-verse, one that is behind ours in time.....

yes......I know this.....but if you here somebody calling it an "alternate dimension"......feel free to correct them because it is wrong. You kept throwing me off because you kept mingling the words universe and dimension as if it were the same thing.

But as you said, PARALLEL universe. Even if you were to leave our universe and enter another........you would still be travelling parallel, not back in time. Even if the date in the parallel universe is 1995, you didn't travel backward in time.........you merely travelled parallel in time to a Universe in which recorded history began 8 years after our own.

The concept of a parallel universe was introduced by Hugh Evertt, Ph.D. in 1953. The term "parallel universe" would later be introduced by Dr. Bryce DeWitt. In the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics, the terms "alterrnate universe" and "alternate dimension" are used synonymously with the term "parallel universe." Feel free to explain to the physicists who created the theory of the multiverse, that they are using their own terminology incorrectly.

Furthermore, for backward time travel to be possible, one would have to travel to a parallel universe. This does not mean that if one arrives in a universe in which the year is 1995 that this universe began 10 years after the one in which he left. Rather, it means that the universe in question began at the same time as the one in which he left, he simply traveled backwards in time to get there. Interdimensional travel is not one dimensional. One is not restricted to traveling universe-to-universe, but can travel to any point in time in a given universe.

Atlantis001
One is not restricted to traveling universe-to-universe, but can travel to any point in time in a given universe.

Good point. The events in the other universe are not yet determined so there is no restriction at what time we will arrive. There would be restrictions only if time was determined.

Evil Dead
they're not here using the terminology now, you are. I must say though........the physicists must not have been very intelligent if they never learned the defenition of "dimension", a basic mathamatical concept taught in every level of mathmatics from Geometry upward.

Everybody is free to believe as they wish........I just have a problem with people using the wrong terms in scientific discussion.......it makes them appear much less intelligent than they probably are. Science is about precision if nothing else.........all areas. How precisely can somebody have studied a subject if they don't even know the correct terminology.

Atlantis001

Adam_PoE
they're not here using the terminology now, you are. I must say though........the physicists must not have been very intelligent if they never learned the defenition of "dimension", a basic mathamatical concept taught in every level of mathmatics from Geometry upward.

Everybody is free to believe as they wish........I just have a problem with people using the wrong terms in scientific discussion.......it makes them appear much less intelligent than they probably are. Science is about precision if nothing else.........all areas. How precisely can somebody have studied a subject if they don't even know the correct terminology.

If you take issue with "parallel universe," being synonymous with "alternate universe," and "alternate dimension," take it up with Dr. Bryce DeWitt and the subsequent quantum physcists who use these terms interchangeably.

Clearly, physicists such as Hugh Evertt, Ph.D., who developed the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, are unintelligent, and you know better than they do.

Evil Dead
yes Atlantis it's beside the point.............doesn't change the fact that this guy uses terms to try to sound intelligent, yet uses them wrong.

so far in this thread all I've seen is you using the word "dimension" wrong Adam..........I've seen know links to online resources........nor even a specific publication mentioned where these great men who devote their life to science incorrectly use scientific and mathamatical terms. Quite frankly, I find it hard to take you at your word......and you provide no resources, not even a publication title. It's extremely hard to believe that I can take a couple years of physics courses........years ago.......and still know what terms mean and these men who have devoted their entire lives to the subject do not.

Adam_PoE
yes Atlantis it's beside the point.............doesn't change the fact that this guy uses terms to try to sound intelligent, yet uses them wrong.

so far in this thread all I've seen is you using the word "dimension" wrong Adam..........I've seen know links to online resources........nor even a specific publication mentioned where these great men who devote their life to science incorrectly use scientific and mathamatical terms. Quite frankly, I find it hard to take you at your word......and you provide no resources, not even a publication title. It's extremely hard to believe that I can take a couple years of physics courses........years ago.......and still know what terms mean and these men who have devoted their entire lives to the subject do not.

Where are the links to online resources and specific publications from which you gathered your information? Oh, that is right, you did not provide any. But you did take "a couple of years of physics courses... years ago," making you a greater expert on physics and quantum mechanics then people with doctorates and Ph.D.s in the field.

The fact remains that the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics allows for backward time travel. Even Atlantis001 is in agreement on this. You however, are in disagreement, and instead of addressing the arguments presented by the theory, have chosen to try to discredit them with semantics. If I were to edit my previous posts and substitute "parallel universe" in place of "alterante universe," and "alternate dimension," then where would your argument be?

Evil Dead
#1.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dimension

'nuff said.

#2. back to the subject at hand............exactly how does the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics allows for backward time travel? Please explain this to me. It allows for parallel travel, from one universe to another I know.........but how does it allow for you to travel from one universe to another universe......100 years earlier?

Adam_PoE
#1.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dimension

'nuff said.

Enough said.

#2. back to the subject at hand............exactly how does the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics allows for backward time travel? Please explain this to me. It allows for parallel travel, from one universe to another I know.........but how does it allow for you to travel from one universe to another universe......100 years earlier?

Traveling from point A to point B is strictly interdimensional travel; Traveling from point A to point C, is both interdimensional and backward time travel:

Evil Dead
that's all I was looking for............although odd in the diagram, both Universe's are connected with the same plane of time flowing through both......why is this?

where'd that diagram come from? That's the same as the old diagram showing how bending space can produce black holes through hyperspace, or worm holes, to travel to the other side of our universe....................I don't understand why universe 1 and 2 are connected on the right side of the diagram and actually flow into one another, with time aswell.

Adam_PoE
that's all I was looking for............although odd in the diagram, both Universe's are connected with the same plane of time flowing through both......why is this?

where'd that diagram come from? That's the same as the old diagram showing how bending space can produce black holes through hyperspace, or worm holes, to travel to the other side of our universe....................I don't understand why universe 1 and 2 are connected on the right side of the diagram and actually flow into one another, with time aswell.

The diagram in question is one in a series illustrating time travel theories. Other diagrams in the series depict the multiverses joined as well, particularly the one that illustrates theoretical time travel through wormholes. My assumption is that the illustrator in question simply re-used the same model.

Evil Dead
ah.......good deal.

link me please.........I want to see these, I'm interested in theories of the like.......

the only reason I brought up it being an old model is because in that diagram, the originator has both Universes existing on the same plane, one solid continuous plane that is doubled over. That's a great diagram for the old "bend space......double it over.....create a wormhole through hyper-space (or subspace).....emerge on the other side.....travel to the other side of the universe in a quick minute" theory................but I don't see how both Universe's could exist on the same plane...........and actually be connected physically. Like you could just get in a space ship and fly from one Universe to another ......like passing through counties on the interstate.

Atlantis001
I suggest that would not be like a travelling to another parallel universe, but like a travelling to another region of the same universe. But I see your point.

Adam_PoE
ah.......good deal.

link me please.........I want to see these, I'm interested in theories of the like.......

the only reason I brought up it being an old model is because in that diagram, the originator has both Universes existing on the same plane, one solid continuous plane that is doubled over. That's a great diagram for the old "bend space......double it over.....create a wormhole through hyper-space (or subspace).....emerge on the other side.....travel to the other side of the universe in a quick minute" theory................but I don't see how both Universe's could exist on the same plane...........and actually be connected physically. Like you could just get in a space ship and fly from one Universe to another ......like passing through counties on the interstate.

I will look for the link. I searched physics websites for quite some time, even translating websites from other languages, in order to find a diagram that illustrates the MWI of time travel.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.