Superman is the best character EVER!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Leafar
I write this in response to the other post which said, "Superman is the worst character EVER!" That simply is not true. I think the worst character ever would be Madcap, which was a villian who appeared once in a Captian America comic book 10-15 years ago.

Why is he the best character ever? I don't know. I base my belief on Christopher Reeve protrayal of him in the original Superman movie. I could actually believe that "a man could fly" after watching it. Maybe the new movie will surpass it, but until then he is the best character EVER! rock

Mr Parker
I think I will keep posting in this thread since that other thread keeps coming back.Your kidding right? the new movie wont even come close to bringing the magic to the screen that Superman the movie did in 1978.That is so stupid for them to restart the franchise like they did with Batman.Batman it was needed to restart it since the previous other four Batman films were all horrible.But Superman is by far the best comicbook movie brought to the screen.Hands down no contest.Wtf are they doing trying to restart the Superman franchise when they dont need to when they already made two magical Superman movies. mad

If not for the character of Superman,we never would have gotten Smallville,one of my favorite tv shows of all time.Superman is an awesome character.

ZephroCarnelian
Superman is indeed an awesome character.

And yes... he's the best also.

DarkCrawler
Superman = Icon.

Leafar
Originally posted by Mr Parker
I think I will keep posting in this thread since that other thread keeps coming back.Your kidding right? the new movie wont even come close to bringing the magic to the screen that Superman the movie did in 1978.That is so stupid for them to restart the franchise like they did with Batman.Batman it was needed to restart it since the previous other four Batman films were all horrible.But Superman is by far the best comicbook movie brought to the screen.Hands down no contest.Wtf are they doing trying to restart the Superman franchise when they dont need to when they already made two magical Superman movies. mad

If not for the character of Superman,we never would have gotten Smallville,one of my favorite tv shows of all time.Superman is an awesome character.

Are you kidding? If you would due 30 seconds of research before posting, then you would know that Superman Returns is not a restart like Batman Begins. Hell, the title itself tells you that! This movie is a sequel to Superman I and II; it ignores III and IV. You need to get your facts straight before posting here, because you have just made yourself look like an idiot. Get a life... mad

The Last Son
I am looking forward to seeing the Best Character Ever on screen. I was too young when the first 4 came out and I love Superman, but I think the old movies are outdated and don't have the magic they did in the late 70's. Plus the new Lois Lane is smokin hottt.

Leafar
Originally posted by The Last Son
I am looking forward to seeing the Best Character Ever on screen. I was too young when the first 4 came out and I love Superman, but I think the old movies are outdated and don't have the magic they did in the late 70's. Plus the new Lois Lane is smokin hottt.

Kate Bosworth is very, very hot! smokin'

Zod4Life
Superman is indeed the best character EVER!He is a ICON and will always be a legend.Christopher Reeve portrayed the character so good that it made him more popular than he already was and I really enjoyed all of the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve.I still haven't seen Superman III yet but the other 3 Supeman movies that I did see were SPECTACULAR.And Superman:The Movie was rwally an event because so many people looked forward to it.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Zod4Life
Superman is indeed the best character EVER!He is a ICON and will always be a legend.Christopher Reeve portrayed the character so good that it made him more popular than he already was and I really enjoyed all of the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve.I still haven't seen Superman III yet but the other 3 Supeman movies that I did see were SPECTACULAR.And Superman:The Movie was rwally an event because so many people looked forward to it.

yeah it really was an event that many people looked forward to.

Mainstream
yeah I really like the first two.

zachrivard
What were the 4 movies about???, i know #1 was superman vs Lex luther

Mainstream
Superman 2 Superman vs 3 other super people from his home planet who were imprison by Supes father.

superman 3 I vaguely remember..he fought against a robot or something

Superman 4 quest for peace..fought against a Nuclear man created by Lex Luthor.

The Last Son
Superman 3 had a family of 3 villans who wanted to take out the man of steel. Superman faught a giant computer that attached itself to one of the villans. He also was exposed to red kryptonite and it made him split between good and bad. He had to fight himself. No Lois, no Lex Luthor. Lana was his love interest in the movie. Oh yeah and richard pryar was in the movie. Lame

alexanderluthor
Originally posted by Leafar
I write this in response to the other post which said, "Superman is the worst character EVER!" That simply is not true. I think the worst character ever would be Madcap, which was a villian who appeared once in a Captian America comic book 10-15 years ago.

Why is he the best character ever? I don't know. I base my belief on Christopher Reeve protrayal of him in the original Superman movie. I could actually believe that "a man could fly" after watching it. Maybe the new movie will surpass it, but until then he is the best character EVER! rock

Yes Superman is the best character, but it's a shame how bad they'll make him look with this "chewbacca face" Routh, sequel or not this movie sucks alreadyshit

Hegemon875
chewbacca face? I dont get it?

Superman is the best character ever because he has the best superpowers, and he's one of the strongest characters ever made...totally kickass

Superman 24
Originally posted by Leafar

He is indeed one of the best there is.

pr1983
I don't believe he is the best or the worst... but i'd say he's closer to the top than the bottom of the ladder...

alexanderluthor
Originally posted by pr1983
I don't believe he is the best or the worst... but i'd say he's closer to the top than the bottom of the ladder...

eek

Grammaton
Yeah superman is much more than just a hero - he is an iconic figure, and I for one am looking forward to Superman Returns!

Mainstream
Batman more than just a man he's a legend but Superman cool too.

tpaquin

I was under the impression taht this filmsimply erased the memory of Superman 3 and Superman 4, while being a direct sequel to #2(the best of the four films). Perhaps I was wrong.

Grammaton
No your right I think. It has somthing to do with Superman dissapearing after defeating General Zod (which was number 2) - I think it disregards Superman 3 & 4.

pr1983
Originally posted by alexanderluthor
eek

What?

thezenbrawler
thats the problem, dc charachters are too iconic, theyre the hero before the CHARACHTER. the best Charachter would probably be wolverine, just because he has real problems, controlling his animal nature, coping with his past, fallen love interests, etc. spiderman is one dimensional, just kinda always smilin and crackin one liners, hes a great charachter, but wolverine is the best CHARACHTER in comics today

thezenbrawler
... and when did this become a film thread

xmarksthespot
Interesting appraisal. I tend to agree except on a scale from -10 to 10, with 0 being neutral, I'd only have him around 3 to 4 or so.

McDonald's is iconic too, doesn't make it gourmet food.

The movies (1 and 2) and Christopher Reeve's portrayal are what drives nostalgia for the character, for me at least.

(BTW it's probably been brought up before and I'm not knocking the movies they were great but did anyone notice the blatant product placement when they first watched it. Supes is thrown into a Marlboro truck and then a Marlboro billboard laughing out loud I'm sure I saw the word Marlboro a couple dozen times)

Grammaton
lol big grin

pr1983
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Interesting appraisal. I tend to agree except on a scale from -10 to 10, with 0 being neutral, I'd only have him around 3 to 4 or so.

McDonald's is iconic too, doesn't make it gourmet food.

The movies (1 and 2) and Christopher Reeve's portrayal are what drives nostalgia for the character, for me at least.

(BTW it's probably been brought up before and I'm not knocking the movies they were great but did anyone notice the blatant product placement when they first watched it. Supes is thrown into a Marlboro truck and then a Marlboro billboard laughing out loud I'm sure I saw the word Marlboro a couple dozen times)

laughing

Well honestly...

ive been reading the lst few comics, written by Verheiden... alot of it is narrative by Lois, and i found it incredibly inciteful...

thezenbrawler
superman still isnt a great CHARACHTER, but good for lois lane though

pr1983
Originally posted by thezenbrawler
superman still isnt a great CHARACHTER, but good for lois lane though

i disagree... i actually disliked him for a while, but started to read the comics again... very good stuff imo...

Bardock42
Originally posted by thezenbrawler
thats the problem, dc charachters are too iconic, theyre the hero before the CHARACHTER. the best Charachter would probably be wolverine, just because he has real problems, controlling his animal nature, coping with his past, fallen love interests, etc. spiderman is one dimensional, just kinda always smilin and crackin one liners, hes a great charachter, but wolverine is the best CHARACHTER in comics today
You don't know much aboot Batman do you? ....Yes Wolverine was great ..not sure aboot now but he used to be really good....

I don't believe he is the best or the worst... but i'd say he's closer to the bottom than the top of the ladder...

As for The Movies.....the one with the Black programmer just was freaking funny.....I loved that one....the one with the Kryptonians.....lame really...and where did he get all this strange superpowers from.....I would have hoped that they'd at least base him on the new...less moonpushing Superman after the Crisis.....but ok......

pr1983
Originally posted by Bardock42
You don't know much aboot Batan do you? ....Yes Wolverine was great ..not sure aboot now but he used to be really good....

I don't believe he is the best or the worst... but i'd say he's closer to the bottom than the top of the ladder...

As for The Movies.....the one with the Black programmer just was freaking funny.....I loved that one....the one with the Kryptonians.....lame really...and where did he get all this strange superpowers from.....I would have hoped that they'd at least base him on the new...less moonpushing Superman after the Crisis.....but ok......

when was the movie made?

and if u read recent comics i think you'd change your tune...

Bardock42
when was the movie made?

and if u read recent comics i think you'd change your tune...

That's what I am saying...the new movie doesn't need to be based on the Pre-Crisis Superman or the first two movies for that matter....

Well I don't really think so...I can't stand Superman either way...but I will look into it....not sure if the ones you are talkignaboot are out yet though...

pr1983
Originally posted by Bardock42
That's what I am saying...the new movie doesn't need to be based on the Pre-Crisis Superman or the first two movies for that matter....

Well I don't really think so...I can't stand Superman either way...but I will look into it....not sure if the ones you are talkignaboot are out yet though...

Yeah, i see what you mean...

Well i've read them... superman v2, from #204 onwards... #217 is when it really gets good imo...

Femi32

Agreed

((The_Anomaly))
Question: I still have not heard anything conclusive on Superman Returns Being based in Pre-Crisis, or Post-Crisis times. Or, at least his powers being Pre-Crisis or Post-Crisis.

Now I know its a "sequel" to movies that were Pre-Crisis, but does that mean that Superman Returns will be Pre-Crisis too?

I hope not...

Or rather, I hope his powers are not Pre-Crisis powers...

erm

FistOfThe North

What are you a time traveler with down syndrome? I'm assuming you traveled through the space/time continum and and got off in June 2006 just in time to catch Superman Returns and came back and wrote this bizzare post.

Magical.? Please. A new Superman movie is Due. And now is the best time for the Ultimate Superhero to claim the comicbook movie world. it's time for "Spiderman" to get lorded over.

Comicbook movies are the best thing now. It's only right for the Man of Steel to Return .

MadMel
yeah...i think this movies is gonna be great, but the game droolio

UniOmni
Superman imo isn't the best character. He is however the first superhero, and the icon because of that fact. The best character varies according to tastes. My favorite is Batman, yours may be Superman, but to say he exceeds all other creations is only applicable to your tastes. I prefer Orion to Superman when it comes to big brawler types, yet i fear his potential will never be fully realized. So i'd nix the superman is the best character bloat, and admit he is an important one, both inside and out of comicbooks.

Mindship
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Question: I still have not heard anything conclusive on Superman Returns Being based in Pre-Crisis, or Post-Crisis times. Or, at least his powers being Pre-Crisis or Post-Crisis.

Now I know its a "sequel" to movies that were Pre-Crisis, but does that mean that Superman Returns will be Pre-Crisis too?

I hope not...

Or rather, I hope his powers are not Pre-Crisis powers...

erm

Good point.

GODOFALL1
Superman is not best character ever. He has weaknesses mentally and physically. There are many other characters that are way cooler and WAY stronger.

BobbyD
I think, before many of you speak, you need, or perhaps better said, the author of the thread needs to clarify what "best" means. Is is skills/powers? Is it popularity? Is it dollars in the marketplace?....etc, etc..etc.

My personal opinion....

Best powers? No; near the top, yes (of non celestials/skyfathers).

The comic book hero who's made more $more$ than any other? Yes.

The standard by which all others are judged? Yes.

The most popular superhero? Yes.

Sum them all up...and yes, whether you like it or not, Superman is the best in a "generic sense". This include Bats and Spidey, who are close seconds.

redcaped
I was watching King Kong yesterday and a thought came to me as the movie began...It would be awesome to have had a new Superman movie set on that time where it belongs. I have the very first series from 1948 (1938 comics) and there is Clark Kent! The episodes are very low grade of credibility when he uses his powers but it's a cool adventure.

superman41082
Superman is the best character ever, because he is the exact essence of a hero. No one comes close. I love lots of characters, but Superman brings a tear to my eye and that's no joke! Superman is the light......

redcaped
How a pair of glasses make great difference! This is real!!! Totally different.

GODOFALL1
Superman got drunk in Superman III and hurt a lot of innocent people. Hes also been bad in the comics and wasn't there some comic, Armageddon or something where kills a whole bunch of people? Anyway, Supes is cool and is the most popular. I define "best" as being the baddest and toughest and strongest and best fighter in the universe and also pure of mind and body. Superman is none of these. So he is not the best......

GODOFALL1
He's got too many weaknesses as well. I mean if you're gonna count what someone is born with or training involved and no superpowers, then Batman is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY more best than Superman. He doesn't even have superpowers and he's AWESOME. I think he took out Superman in the comics too, didn't he? smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.