Kotor Named second best game on Xbox(was beaten by a little game called Halo 2)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nactous
GameSpy has anounced KotOR second best game on Xbox. Read article below:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Star Wars fans have to view most Star Wars video games the way parents view their children at Little League games. They may not be perfect, but we try to be supportive and look on the bright side. After all, we've been thrown so many mediocre to abysmal games emblazoned with the Star Wars logo, it's all we can do to keep from crying. Knights of the Old Republic is different: it's not just good for a Star Wars game, it's an incredible game made better by its ties to the Star Wars universe.

With developer supergroup BioWare at the helm, it's immediately evident that this isn't just another Jedi game. Its lack of ties to a specific movie tells you that it won't be the fifteenth rehash of the same story you already know like the hairy palm of your hand. What it does with Dark/Light Side affiliations brings up a moral dilemma that has never been done so expertly in an form of entertainment before (not even Choose Your Own Adventure books).

KotOR's gameplay is unique -- especially on consoles. It's not real-time, but it's not necessarily turn-based, either. You basically dish out commands to whoever you're controlling, and then watch the action unfold. At any time you can pause and re-evaluate your strategy, switch characters, or just lament the lame death of Boba Fett. The story is one of the best penned in a video game, featuring compelling characters and more twists than a pretzel factory. Knights of the Old Republic is the first (and only) Star Wars game to transcend its license, and is one of the greatest RPGs in existence.

Justin Leeper: KotOR snapped my streak of not finishing RPGs, as I was glued to my Xbox from start to finish. Not even a bum console that would freeze about once and hour and loaded about as slow as the cassette drive on my TI 99-4A computer back in 1982 could dampen my spirits. This was the Star Wars game I -- and the rest of the world -- had been waiting for.

The ability to choose your personality and have it affect play had never been this fleshed out. I, of course, was Light Side all the way, and didn't notch even a single Dark Side point, but hearing the adventures of others who play the game differently than you makes for perfect water cooler conversation. Character customization, a ton of characters, and nonlinear choices bring about even more diversity. The gameplay is strangely addictive, despite you not actually swinging the lightsaber yourself. I loved the sequel and I'm currently digging on Jade Empire, but I don't think any RPG that isn't Final Fantasy VI can top KotOR for me.

Delsyn: Knights of the Old Republic is living proof that game developers need to have more respect for story and writing in their games. All too often a game's storyline is written at the last minute by the lead designer because "anyone can write a story!" Well, no, they can't. Knight's of the Old Republic is at turns funny, exciting, moving, and sad, and is filled with the kinds of well-defined characters with fleshed-out motivations and great plots that you remember from the best movies. In fact, I'd go so far to say that Knights of the Old Republic did something I thought was impossible (especially after George Lucas himself completely butchered his own creation with the Star Wars prequels) -- it made me care about Star Wars again. Playing that game, I felt the wonder and love for this fictional universe in a way that I haven't been since I was eight years old watching stormtroopers assault the Blockade Runner. Thanks BioWare -- now I remember why Star Wars used to be cool!

Miguel: What, you don't have love for the fish-faced Jedi master, Kitt Fisto or Yoda's sexy female counterpart, Yaddle? Me either. In fact, I feel sorry for today's generation, since these weak movies are serving as their introduction to Star Wars. Hence, we should all appreciate KotOR all the more for it. I agree with Delsyn -- it gave me the old Star Wars jitters that I hadn't felt since I was kid, and I appreciate it greatly for that. Also, it allowed me to min/max my own Jedi using D&D rules. I won't spoil anything, but let's just say that my method for taking out the last guy was straight-up brutish. You gotta love that d20 system!

Sniffle...Sniffle these words bring tears to my eyes making me think about KotOR, and now that the Xbox is up and leaving I remember the game that blasted into Lightspeed into my heart and the hearts of others. Bioware... Guys, thanks for all the fun.

Clawed The Bum
i knw this might be off topic but which game got better ratings? kotor one or kotor two?

General Zodiac
I likes Kotor 1 better.

AmrothSkywalker
Dude I'm sorry to admit if you can play Halo 2 online it owns K0T0R 2. K0T0R 2's story blowed. Anyone agree? K0T0R 1 was way better than Halo 2 because it just is but i'm sorry obsidian screwed up kotor i hate them if they screw up no 3 ill be really mad.

Emperor Revan
KOTOR 1 is way better than KOTOR 2.

Anywho, that's only one thing saying that. It hardly means anything.

matreid
KOTOR 1 is way better than Halo 2. The story anyways...

Clawed The Bum
kotor 2 > kotor 1
except the ending. guyz don't forgot the forms, and new stuff for everything like powers, armor, robes, crystal , etc. the main thing better in kotor 2 then one is the teamates. you can gain/lose infuence, turn them into jedi, use them only one multiple missions, get different teamates on different storylines( LS - FM ; LS - M ; DS - FM ; DS - M) so four different teamate configeratins. also the teamates each have a special skill that no other teamates have. in kotor one there was no point to use carth when you got canderous, he was better in every single way. also the jedi were like way to good in the other one. in kotor 2 the jedi characters weren't the only good teamates.

Nactous
Kotor, the original was the best. with straight nines across the board. and yes its story was better.

Emperor Revan
Originally posted by Clawed The Bum
kotor 2 > kotor 1
except the ending. guyz don't forgot the forms, and new stuff for everything like powers, armor, robes, crystal , etc. the main thing better in kotor 2 then one is the teamates. you can gain/lose infuence, turn them into jedi, use them only one multiple missions, get different teamates on different storylines( LS - FM ; LS - M ; DS - FM ; DS - M) so four different teamate configeratins. also the teamates each have a special skill that no other teamates have. in kotor one there was no point to use carth when you got canderous, he was better in every single way. also the jedi were like way to good in the other one. in kotor 2 the jedi characters weren't the only good teamates.

Kotor 1 is far better IMO because (not really in any order)

1. Better story

2. Better plot twist

3. Better music

4. Better characters

5. A feeling of galactic importance, like its fate rests on your shoulders.

6. Bastila

7. Awesome ending leaving you with the feeling that you have everything you could ever want.

8. Funnier game

Darth Teeron
Well what about that dude in KOTOR2... The first guy you meet thats in the Prison place on that one thing. Hes pretty much useless just like Carth, except for -one- part in the game when you use him to fight two twilek's. WOW. What an important roll. Why use him when you can use Mandalore/Canderous?

General Zodiac
I can see Halo2 beating Kotor2 in XBOX. Thousands of people gathered at stores at midnight just to buy Halo2.

AmrothSkywalker
K0T0R>Halo 2>K0T0R 2

The main thing that drives a RPG systematic game like K0T0R is the story. And in K0T0R 2 when it comes to drawing you into the plot you're about as drawn in as you would be to jumping into a Sarlacc. I agree they added alot of cool stuff but they screwed up other aspects too like if anyone else noticed you run really gay in 2 and the pause menu loads slow (for me at least) and you can't look at items in as good a way like you can't just look at new items which I hated. And loading things throughout the game I thought was bad. I don't know if it is the same for PC but the only thing I would guess to be better about the PC version are graphics and maybe load times. But compared to the first on my Xbox it definetely loads slower. Bottom line I think K0T0R 2 was a let down and Halo 2 definetely was not so it wins. Don't get me wrong I'm a HUGE K0T0R fan ON Halo 2 my clan's name is K0T0R and on three other Xbox live games my clan is K0T0R but #1 was the bomb and they just better not screw up the next one or I'll be REALLY MADDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Emperor Revan
The load times are pretty quick on PC for both games but I think it's faster for KOTOR 1. On average it takes about 5 seconds if you're loading for the first time or 2 seconds if you're loading something that's close to your location now. Hope that made sense.

I also forgot to mention that I hate the fact that it's random which items you get in KOTOR 2.

Nactous
KotOR 2 is a good game, but its not a Great game like the originals. I guess it had that strnge Bioware touch.

Nactous
I had igh hopes for KotOR 2. I wish, no not wish, beg Bioware will come back to do a third.

LordSorgo
I liked the way you brought your Character up on KOTOR 2....

But KOTOR 1's Storyline? C'mon, it beat the shit out of KOTOR 2's storyline.

Plus, Revan owns.

dAngEr_Is_gO!
The only Xbox games that I either own or have played that beat KOTOR are Halo and Ninja Gaiden. Fable snaps at it's heels but KOTOR is able to keep it at bay.
KOTOR is so much superior to KOTOR 2 in the following areas

1) Story
2) A plot twist that left my jaw on the floor
3) Diversity in Worlds. I thought the planets in KOTOR were far more diverse and interesting.
4) Support characters. Carth & Bastilla > Atton & Kreia
5) Graphics. While some may disagree, Bioware's effort seemed less rough around the edges, especially when it came to scenery
6) Better ending
7) Boss characters weren't such a pushover.
8) Music

That's why I hope Bioware are at the helm of KOTOR 3

Nactous
KotOR= best game off all time.

HimoKun
The only thing that kept KOTOR from winning was Halo 2's multiplayer. The story sucked for Halo 2, and so did most of the single player options.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by HimoKun
The only thing that kept KOTOR from winning was Halo 2's multiplayer. The story sucked for Halo 2, and so did most of the single player options.

True. The ending made me force crush my TV.

Shirotakahashi
Yea must Halo fans were super pissed off because of that, and even with that thought the game still gets freaking aweome scores that top kotors and other great games... I was like wtf... Gamespot gave Halo 2 a 9.4 and kotor 9.1 and X Play gave Halo 2 F&^%ING GAME OF THE FREAKING YEAR over games like Rome Total War and Half Life 2....AHH WTF!!! when its story was crap it's all biased guys there are just too many Halo fans who would literally die for the game...

Now Kotor 2 was simply put very disapointing, there was no graphical improvement, no new physics, alot of glitches, weaker story... the only things that was good were the knew Jedi cloaks and some of the fights... Kreia was cool too. Her voice actor was PERFECT.

Fatal1ty
I keep hearing everyone saying "omg Kotor II sucked" -> i tend to disagree.

Kotor II was a great game, now that I've finished it, i belive it was as good, if not better than Kotor I. Sure, it could have had better dialogues and party interaction, but they weren't big let-downs.

I was relieved when I noticed the interface/gameplay hadn't changed much. If you played Kotor 1 before, you'll get used to it right away. Playing Kotor 1 isn't required, but if you can get it, I recommend you do, brings more insight into the universe.

The new party-influence thing was great. Too bad they didn't finish the game (they had to complete it by christmas-2004), they still had some loose ends:
- finishing off Darth Nihilus was too easy and meaningless
- there was no steep turn of events (as the kidnapping of bastilla in Kotor1)
- that's pretty much it stick out tongue

kreia was great, it was a nice experience to have a wise, neutral character nearby. What she said also applies in real life smile

Kotor1 & 2 are the best RPG's i've ever played, too bad they didn't have multiplayer sad

Darth_Janus
Originally posted by Fatal1ty
I keep hearing everyone saying "omg Kotor II sucked" -> i tend to disagree.

Kotor II was a great game, now that I've finished it, i belive it was as good, if not better than Kotor I. Sure, it could have had better dialogues and party interaction, but they weren't big let-downs.

I was relieved when I noticed the interface/gameplay hadn't changed much. If you played Kotor 1 before, you'll get used to it right away. Playing Kotor 1 isn't required, but if you can get it, I recommend you do, brings more insight into the universe.

The new party-influence thing was great. Too bad they didn't finish the game (they had to complete it by christmas-2004), they still had some loose ends:
- finishing off Darth Nihilus was too easy and meaningless
- there was no steep turn of events (as the kidnapping of bastilla in Kotor1)
- that's pretty much it stick out tongue

kreia was great, it was a nice experience to have a wise, neutral character nearby. What she said also applies in real life smile

Kotor1 & 2 are the best RPG's i've ever played, too bad they didn't have multiplayer sad

I like the way this one thinks. KOTOR II may not beat KOTOR I for being a better completed game, but in sheer potential it whups I's ass. It's like comparing Temple of Elemental Evil versus Baldur's Gate II: TOEE had the potential to be one of the most in-depth game engines for any RPG (To the extent that I still play that POS even to this day) but the game was mangled by a lack of completion on the part of the producers. (They didn't add on to the game, which is based off of a twenty some year old game module. Also, it's bug-a-riffic.) Now take Baldur's Gate II. Good game. Excellent dialogue (unlike TOEE< it has a set team, so the characters interact and there is lots more story to it.) However, the action in BG II just blows. The graphics are pretty horrid, too, and fighting is horribly handled (When compared to TOEE's badass turn based gameplay). Now if they had taken Bg, added TOEE's effects and fighting system, it would be the best RPG ever. But yeah, that won't happen.

Anyways, the point is, for those of us who liked KOTOR II better, it's because we liked the progress in the game. Going back to play KOTOR I is a bit like playing Goldeneye after tearing it up on Perfect Dark. It's downgrading as far as playing goes. Let me elaborate:

- KOTOR I's fighting is horribly unbalanced. The system is too simple, and there aren't enough feats and powers available to make any of the characters really that different. If they all had the same stats, they would essentially be the same person. This is NOT the case in KOTOR II, as most everyone has their own unique abilities.

- KOTOR I's AI on the computer just blows. On Xbox, it's not shining genius either, but KOTOR II's AI and scripts are much better.

- Spending about two to four hours on Taris just to get your lightsaber gets old after the first time. Also, a level twenty cap, a bare bones Force powers selection, and spending about 8 levels on being a non-Force user really makes being Revan suck.

IN short, KOTOR II expands on a lot of things that were really lacking in the original. While KOTOR I has a more complete and comprehensible storyline (and that's why most all of you like it better) it plays like shit. I have faith that Obsidian will make KOTOR III simply outstanding, and if they are given time, it will eclipse the original in sheer fun and playability.

Lord-Nihilus
Hear Hear!!!!

Respect the words for allmighty Janus, Lord of Jawas, his wisdom does us well!

Fatal1ty
Quote:

"that ending just ended the game totally well, told the story of Revan and un-finished THE ENTIRE STAR WARS STORY EVER

THE SITH ARE OUT THERE!

AJKSHDJKASJDHJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that was orgasmic"

Nactous
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
I like the way this one thinks. KOTOR II may not beat KOTOR I for being a better completed game, but in sheer potential it whups I's ass. It's like comparing Temple of Elemental Evil versus Baldur's Gate II: TOEE had the potential to be one of the most in-depth game engines for any RPG (To the extent that I still play that POS even to this day) but the game was mangled by a lack of completion on the part of the producers. (They didn't add on to the game, which is based off of a twenty some year old game module. Also, it's bug-a-riffic.) Now take Baldur's Gate II. Good game. Excellent dialogue (unlike TOEE< it has a set team, so the characters interact and there is lots more story to it.) However, the action in BG II just blows. The graphics are pretty horrid, too, and fighting is horribly handled (When compared to TOEE's badass turn based gameplay). Now if they had taken Bg, added TOEE's effects and fighting system, it would be the best RPG ever. But yeah, that won't happen.

Anyways, the point is, for those of us who liked KOTOR II better, it's because we liked the progress in the game. Going back to play KOTOR I is a bit like playing Goldeneye after tearing it up on Perfect Dark. It's downgrading as far as playing goes. Let me elaborate:

- KOTOR I's fighting is horribly unbalanced. The system is too simple, and there aren't enough feats and powers available to make any of the characters really that different. If they all had the same stats, they would essentially be the same person. This is NOT the case in KOTOR II, as most everyone has their own unique abilities.

- KOTOR I's AI on the computer just blows. On Xbox, it's not shining genius either, but KOTOR II's AI and scripts are much better.

- Spending about two to four hours on Taris just to get your lightsaber gets old after the first time. Also, a level twenty cap, a bare bones Force powers selection, and spending about 8 levels on being a non-Force user really makes being Revan suck.

IN short, KOTOR II expands on a lot of things that were really lacking in the original. While KOTOR I has a more complete and comprehensible storyline (and that's why most all of you like it better) it plays like shit. I have faith that Obsidian will make KOTOR III simply outstanding, and if they are given time, it will eclipse the original in sheer fun and playability.

Janus, that is sure blasphemy.

HimoKun
Janus, that was inspiring. I am with you on saying that I believe that Obsidian can make a greater game than Bioware.

Fatal1ty
Janus is right, stop trying to fight your destinty

Nactous
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Darth_Janus
And another no... Haja... I hath won.

((The_Anomaly))
KOTOR 1 & 2 are both FAR better then either Halo.

Halo is nothing special, its a FPS with ok graphics. at least KOTOR had a cool story. with cool characters and good new gameplay. (not to mention unlike halo, you cant beat KOTOR in like half an hour)

Darth Hawkeye
i feeel dumb i wanna know i never beat KoTOR 2 lightaide its off topic sorry but whats the diffrence. AND ALL I WANT IS A BETTER GAME I JUST WANT IT TO LAST IT TO TAKE FOREVER TO BEAT THE FEELING OF BEATING IT IS GREAT. But gettting to play it longer without it ending is beter whos with me I want a multiplayer KoTOR 3 i dont kno how they'll do it i just want it multiplayer not like Jedi Knight academy. Online sounds good but i have a bad feeling..... in my stomach I want Bio ware and obsidian to make one online one normal i want them to compete for the pblic

Fatal1ty
Yeah, making KotOR3 a MMoRPG would be interesting ... but then we'd have idiots running around with lightsabers and force powers and would ruin the whole game.

KotOR3 should have a char based system (like Diablo 2), and after you beat the game, you can still return to the other worlds and mess around. I would like better dialogues. If you complete a major mission (like protecting Telos), most people from other worlds would congratulate you. In KotOR1, people on the street mentioned the destruction of Taris, that was nice.

Also, if you talk to a NPC and you ask the same thing over and over again, the answer should change, they should realise what they already told you and protest. Just a thought smile

Fishy
There shouldn't be any kind of online function it takes away from the game.

And Janus I agree with you on some points, Kotor II had the potential and it could have been greater then Kotor if it was finished but it wasn't. All the improvements your mentioned aren't special either, they are the most basic of things and yeah it made the game better in some aspects and yeah the story had more potential then that of Kotor 1. But it simply didn't reach it potential.

Kotor II is like Anakin, a lot of people worship it for no good reason, because its only a could be not an is.

Kotor I on the other hand is more like Obi Wan everybody loves it, yeah Anakin has some things that are better but at least Obi Wan did what he was supposed to do, Anakin did not. Obi Wan did not have the potential of Anakin, but at least it lived up to it.

Darth_Frobo
Kotor 2 could have been better all it needed was an ending that didn't suck. Maybe some charachters we gave a damn about too that might have helped a bit.

Everyone's bad mouthing halo 2 here but the truth is it is an exceptional game in it's self it happens to be a different style then KOTOR halo 2 is centered around the action which it delivers very well especially with it's multiplayer element whereas kotor is centered around the story and it's all about telling a story so you can't really compare storylines. Halo 2 is the best FPS on the market right now even more so the half life 2 it delivers good action, good music good multiplayer and as far as FPS's are concerned good storytelling, you may not like it but there were some exceptionally cool cutscenes and on the first two times through you really got into it the ending left me a bit miffed but it had to be that way so it can set up halo 3 Halo 2 as far as shooters are concerned delivers on all fronts it doesn't push the envelope for anything except multiplayer but it shows how good and polished a game really can be, if FPS isn't your bag I understand but don't bad mouth halo just because it's not your type of game.

Fatal1ty
The ending ruled but no-ne seems to appreciate phylosophy any more.. perhaps people wanted a Counter-Strike kind of game with death and only death. Cs n00bs big grin

Fishy
Originally posted by Fatal1ty
The ending ruled but no-ne seems to appreciate phylosophy any more.. perhaps people wanted a Counter-Strike kind of game with death and only death. Cs n00bs big grin

Oh you are so wrong there, the ending wasn't philosophic at all, it could have been but it wasn't. Kreia told the future, she was clear for once there was no mystery behind it just unanswered questions about characters that we should have known about. The game story was great until it ended then it crushed so much, so many things that were never answered even when it was absolutely necessary.

Darth_Janus
Fishy, this isn't about Anakin Skywalker, and the analogy isn't the same.

This isn't me comparing everything of all time to something that could have been. I am very much happy with KOTOR II incomplete. The game itself plays very well. And you're absolutely wrong- KOTOR II has a more refined battle system compared to KOTOR I. More actions, more Force powers, more items, weapons, robes, more enemies, better balance in the fighting itself. In KOTOR I it was either you pwned him or he pwned you... fights were horribly off balance for the character level. Items were pretty bare bones... nothing to write home about. Level twenty cap means you'd use up every feat you had just to max out two special attacks. Maxing out more than three or four Force powers was impossible. There is no reason to have stealth, demolitions, treat injury... in short, there is no reason to use any skill to advance in the game save for persuade, whereas KOTOR II has every skill with its own neccessary function, though stealth is still kinda not all that. (You get no experience from using stealth, although it does open up special sidequests if used properly.) Item customization means you won't hurt for a weapon that suits you. Larger battles, which in the original were rare and meant almost certain death (Whether in frame rate or gamewise) are handled MUCH better in the sequel (Save for frame rate... damn Xbox limitations...)

In short, people piss and moan about the game because of what it lacks and praise the original for its... story. A story which gets boring the second time through, which doesn't change much... and which makes you go through Taris for four hours... spend a few hours just hiking back and forth in every damn planet for quests... Is there anything about KOTOR I's gameplay that was better than KOTOR II's?

Fatal1ty
No char in KotOR1 beats the "weird wise old woman" in KotOR2. Having to chose the fate of 2 planets (Onderon and Telos) is also great. Games with politics and corporate sell-outs are cool wink

The end was supposed to be "that way", because Treya didn't want you dead, it wanted you to learn a lesson from fighting her. You beat her and it was about time she taught you all she knew before she died. It's what she lived for!

Too bad we didn't have much story around Darth Sion and Darth Nihilus (they did pretty much--nothing). They could have made it so Sith armies from these 2 sith parties would fight.

Goto didn't have many missions either. In fact, none, except the appearance on Malachor in the end. Too bad, he sounded like he ment business when his sphere got on the Ebon hawk.

I enjoyed seing Opo Chano on Nar Shadaa after I helped him get off Telos smile

Nactous
KotOR 2 had some better points but it could never beat its predecessor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.