Fantastic Four reviews

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
So what do you guys think about it?I'm seeing today at 1:00,but just wondering what you guys thought of it.

dawsey28
Well, I haven't seen it yet, either but there are already reveiws

here:http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=4358645#post4358645
here:http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352877&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1
and here:http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=347707&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

mr.smiley
It was pretty good.I liked it alot.Definetly a feel good movie.

BackFire
I saw the midnight showing last night, was pleasantly surprised. Solid flick.

dawsey28
I'm not going to get to see it until next week because of the stupid hurricane!!! I'm so ticked.

I hate living in Mississippi. I should move.

armandovalles
In my opinion Fantastic Four definitely lived up to the hype. In my opinion, of course, it was the 3 best Comic book movie out right now, only below X2 and Spiderman 2, and just barely above Spiderman and Batman Begins.

Vladimir
Fantastic Four (2005)
Preview Your Review

Overall Grade: B-

Story: C

Acting: A

Direction: A

Visuals: A-

Is this wut we have been expecting?
by [email protected] (Jul 8, 2005)
I just came home from watchin F4 in a movie theater with 2 of my other friends. Honestly i should say that it wasnt quite wut i was expecting it to be. I have been a fan of this movie for nearly 2 years, when i just heard the news of it being announced. I was all excited, and ready to enjoy 2 hours of real kewl action, instead i got like 3 minutes of real kewl action.
I just wanna say, that the director did a good job, and all the actors were, great, but there was just somethin that just wasnt rite. F4 was a little bit of a dissipointment.
First i wanna talk about the storyline. Its a little cheesy, talkin about space, and those weird lights, thats a little unrealistic. The whole movie involves a lot of talkin and basically its fantastic 4 trying to built a machine that can transform them back, while Johny Storm A.K.A. is enjoyin himself as "The Human Torch". I kind of got bored watchin them buildin the machine and showin how famouse they are. I think that the director should have included a lot more action scenes, like crim fighting or somethin.
Lets talk about actin. All 4 members of the crew did a great job, and i respect em for dat, but most of all i would like to say that the best job in this movie was done by Julian McMahon a.k.a Dr. Doom. I am a fan of dis guy for a long time now, he is like my idol. He is a pretty kool actor, and he knows wut he is doin. I saw him for da first time in charmed, and then nip/tuck which is also a great show. I just wanna say that he is a great actor. Lets talk about The Thing. I mean COMMON!!! wut was that!!!?? they should have made it 3d like they did with Hulk, this was likle a freakin chicken suit. This is wut makes this movie so bad.
The visuals. Well i liked da visuals, most of all i liked the "flame On" part, it was pretty kewl. But in overall all the visuals looked kind of cheap. Mr. Fantastic stretchin visual was really cheap, i didnt like it. Dr doom visuals were pretty good. i liked those.
The last thing that i would like to say is that, i think that people should go watch this movie. It wasa good movie, but maybe not for me, when i saw the trailer for the first time, i was reall really excited, but now, i just lost it. I just wish they would have included more fightin scenes, and more special effects. Ya and one more thing, the jokes in the movie are pretty funy, dats wut i liked . haha! Well u guys and girls should go c this in da movie theater, i hope it makes no less than daredevil and the hulk, i like daredevil by the way, it was pretty kewl. Most of all i liked The Punisher! It has a lot of brutal action, and its kind of realistic. Spiderman SUX ASS! hate dat *****! Raimi messed it up! Anyways,, you should go watch it, but make sure u watch the punisher, dats a good movie! well good luck!

SpyCspider
Did I like the movie?

overall, YES.

I read almost all of the reviews on Rottentomatoes.com.....and most of them were horrible ratings. I walked in expecting Halle Berry's Catwoman, Elektra, or Batman & Robin, but I was pleasantly surprised it was actually a decent popcorn flick. I knew it was going to be cheesy, mediocre acting, and just plain colorful and that was what I got. Ben Grimm as the Thing? I didn't have any problems with it....CGI can look horrible at times but with the suit, they actually managed to have Ben move his eyes and mouth as if they're part of his hard-rock skin. Johnny Storm had all the puns and the entire theater was laughing. Jessica Alba....hot enough to forgive any subpar acting skills. Reed was just what I expected him to be....sort of a Egon Spangler from Ghostbusters. Doom was threatening enough.

If you think about it, critics hated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and called Mortal Kombat abysmal. But guess what, fans actually liked those movies yet majority of them hated Hulk, Elektra, and Catwoman. SERIOUSLY, don't go in with high expectations and you'll come out with a smile. Just keep thinking it's supposed to be fun and the exact opposite of Batman Begins and you'll be rewarded.

spencerspider
I loved every minute of it and the sequel will probably have alot more action in it. Fantastic Four : Doom's Revenge
lol

xmarksthespot
It's no masterpiece, but did I like it. Yeah.

Storywise don't expect anything too groundbreaking from FF. It is purely an action/comedy/comic book film and has no pretensions about being anything more. The movie doesn't take itself too seriously. Which I find refreshing. It does take itself seriously enough though to not go down the route of the Schumacher Batman films. It is light, entertaining and enjoyable.

It manages to capture the essence of the FF being a celebrated superhero team, as opposed to the outlaw X-Men and Spider-Man. It also portrays to us that these aren't superheroes per se they are ordinary people who managed to stumble upon power and reluctantly must take on the mantle of "hero". They squabble between themselves, they fight, they're a family.

Tim Story delivered a pretty stylish movie overall. It wasn't about huge action scenes... it was about little subtleties.
The special effects were good (although they do seem a little anticlimactic due to the "Incredibles Power Rip-Off"wink but the characters do use their abilities in innovative ways. The best visual effects were probably of The Human Torch.

Gruffudd does well adopting the character of the reluctant hero and leader, Reed. He does a good job of showing how the most brilliant man in the world can still be wrought with self-doubt and be so blind to the blatantly obvious. Chiklis (although the suit did not look "fantastic"wink gave a pretty good performance too as Ben Grimm, with the most tragic of the transformations (although the transform back and forth was superfluous). If he had been CGI like the Hulk though I imagine it would not have been as effective. The actor is what made the character believable and it helped to be able to see the subtle movement's of his face and the emotion in his eyes.

Evans was Johnny Storm, little more to be said, he was a cocky prankster you want to throttle... but he was a likable cocky prankster you want to throttle. He did a solid job and provides most of the humour. Alba was unconvincing as a female geneticist, but that may be more to preconceptions about what a geneticist should be. Irregardless though because she served her main purpose as eyecandy for the masses. Alba and Gruffudd do have good scenes together though but adding McMahon's Doom into the equation doesn't always work well.

Doom might have been overplayed a bit... he never really seemed that menacing and brilliant to me... more like a petty person, a bit creepy, whose stumbled upon power and wants revenge. Not a man of power and genius. Of course the kind of character development to explain the comic Doom to the general public would take an entire movie in itself.

Overall it was a solid enjoyable film and the good start to a potential franchise.

Sentry
Doom will be back. But i'd rather see the FF taking on Galactus with the aid of Silver Surfer in their next movie.

Swanky-Tuna
Roger Ebert wrote a review that was posted at gamefaqs that made all the comic nerds go berserk. Especially about his power comparisons.

Storm and Invisible Woman? C'mon!

Dark Thor
how come doom's electricity can crack or shatter the thing?

dawsey28
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Roger Ebert wrote a review that was posted at gamefaqs that made all the comic nerds go berserk. Especially about his power comparisons.

I personally don't care about how many stars or whether it got a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Because while Ebert and Reoper are usually justified in what they say, it is usually them over analyzing the movie. Just like most critics do.

I sit back and watch the movie and then form my own opinion on it. I say which movie I was more entertained by.

And to be honest, I was more entertained by the special effects, the creative ways they used their powers and the light-toned humor of Fantastic Four than the dark, moody and slow-moving Batman Begins movie. In fact, that was my main problem with the Batman Begins: Yes, it was nice to see them take the time to nicely develop Bruce Wayne's transition into Batman, but it just simply took too long.

While BB had a more compelling story, FF was just simply more fun to watch.

My only guess is that the cosmic rays somehow hold his rocks in place. But it is just one of those times where you just have to suspend your disbelief. In a world that asks you believe that cosmic rays somehow change 5 different people in 5 different ways, you just kind of have to accept that Thing's rocky surface would be held together even after being hit by electricity.

OB1-adobe
does stan lee make a cameo?

xmarksthespot
Yep he's a mailman of all things and he has lines this time big grin

dawsey28
The Stan Lee cameos are always fun. It is just one of those things you wait for in every Marvel movie... no matter how bad the movie is.

You have to stop and go: "Hey, there's Stan Lee."

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Roger Ebert wrote a review that was posted at faqs that made all the comic nerds go berserk. Especially about his power comparisons.

Ebert lost all street credit with that Clint Eastwood movie Pale rider.He panned it,but when it won a few awards he gave a new review.What a fat ass pud.

Anyway..I think the movie was very entertaining.Fans will like it more than the norm,but oh well.You can tell this movie was made more for us anyway.I'm greatful for that.The plot was decent and I belive each actor played the part damn near perfect.

My review:B+

dawsey28
LOL, Ebert lost credit from me when he ranked Troy and Alexander as a tie for last year's WORST movie because "the armies were too big."

No seriously, that was his reason and the ONLY reason he gave us.

The armies were to big? Whatever Ebert.

Vladimir
Did stan lee make a cameo in punisher? Daredevil? hulk?

xmarksthespot
Daredevil yes, man crossing the street. Punisher no. Hulk... I don't remember.

munkiesarus
Stan definetly had a bigger role in this film then the others. The man on the beach in X1 sucked, I don't remember Daredevil's, that movie sucked beyond woah, Spidey he saved a little girl from some rubble...

I wondered why he never had any lines. I mean, his voice is the most unique voice I've ever heard.

I had a short review in the Discussion thread for this flick.

8bitChris
He talked a little bit in Hulk. I don't remember what he said though.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by dawsey28
LOL, Ebert lost credit from me when he ranked Troy and Alexander as a tie for last year's WORST movie because "the armies were too big."

No seriously, that was his reason and the ONLY reason he gave us.

The armies were to big? Whatever Ebert.

IMFG.He's soooooooooooooo................I'm not gonna say it.

mr.smiley
He was in the Hulk with the orginal guy who played the Hulk.

dawsey28
Originally posted by mr.smiley
IMFG.He's soooooooooooooo................I'm not gonna say it.

Check it out: http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/050117.html

Well, he did give some other reasons. But his main argument was that the armies were to big.

SpyCspider
i'm glad lotsa people enjoyed FF as well....it was really lighthearted and a "feel-good" movie. I think all the trash talk about it from the critics helped the watching experience so much better. Which is funny because I read how Catwoman was universally denounced and when I did finally see it, it was utter crap.

ScarletSpider
Stan appeared as a security guard in the Hulk early on, when Bruce is going to work.

FF could have been better. In my opnion there was too much fluff. There were some funny moments, but a lot of it could have been cut out or changed to actually make a solid story. It's a few minutes of set up, then an hour and a half of super hero family fun and pranks. Then Doom attacks. Then it ends. Yawn. Overall not cohesive enough.

Darth Macabre
Lighthearted, popcorn flick. I thoroughly entertained it. It wasnt a dark gloomy story based movie but I liked it. The actors were great, with Mcmahon leading the pack. Evans to me is now Johnny Storm, just like Bales Batman. IMO i give it a B+.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by dawsey28
Check it out: http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/050117.html

Well, he did give some other reasons. But his main argument was that the armies were to big.

Damn he's stupid.Roepers picks were fair enough though.Ebert bitches too much.They're movies for Christ sake.How could they ever pay someone for their opion?It would be a good job,but I don't think you could ever take yourself seriously.

Arcane
it was good

b-dan
havetn seen it but i know the story to it pm if u wanna know dr doom is awesome fad 4 suxs

Cinemaddiction
I saw it this afternoon and thought it was really well rounded. Jumped right into the action, had a fun backstory, a cool plot device for each to find their new powers, had a battle for power, saved the day, and left it open for a sequel.

Only real gripe is that Julian McMahon's voice didn't fit the masked Doom character. When he spoke, he sounded like he was doing a television commerical voice over. Well, that and Ioan Gruffudd broke character with his voice a few times, and sounded like Chistopher Lambert.

The Tired Hiker
I was totally going to go see this movie today, but now after reading all your reviews, I'm thinking of not seeing it. It sounds like some of you feel there wasn't enough action, that poses a problem for me. I expect to see tons of action, or at least enough other clever stuff to make up for lack of action and special effects. Don't get me wrong, I like a good story, but if this movie is too dialogue based and character driven, it sounds like it will make for a boring comic book movie. Level with me, should I go see it or what?

K Von Doom
Pretty good. The fight scene at the end, where they were on the street and Doom was about to impale the Thing, actually reminded me of Terrax vs Dr Doom in the comic for some reason. But they turned Dr Doom into Norman Osborn!! Head of a company? Bah!! Doom answers to no board of directors!!

Darth Macabre
Does anyone like what they did with the Doom character more then what he is in the comics? Are you ok with it, outraged, love it?

K Von Doom
The Doom in the movie is a pale, pale imitation of the comic version - nothing mentioned about how scientifically smart he was (only that he called himself Doctor at the end, which would have made no sense to the average movie-goer), no mention of his magic and Doom isn't supposed to have superpower. They turned him into Norman Osborn at the start, Magneto in the middle then Electro in the end. What the?! And when has Doom ever accepted that Reed was smarter than him?
Movie Magneto = accurate
Movie Doom = one dimensional

Viktor Vaughn
the only good things i liked about this movie was the humor, doom, jessica alba, and maria menunos or however you spell her name.

not enough action sequences, doom died too fast.

Darth Macabre
Hes not dead.

mr.smiley
I thought they did a good job on Doom.Their are obvious reasons why they couldn't directly translate him from the comic,but I love how you see Victor Von Doom change throughout the movie.And the way the movie leaves you hanging,you know big things are going to happen with Doom in the sequel.Most of the movie doesn't involve Doom.It's more like Victors evolution into Doom.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by The Tired Hiker
I was totally going to go see this movie today, but now after reading all your reviews, I'm thinking of not seeing it. It sounds like some of you feel there wasn't enough action, that poses a problem for me. I expect to see tons of action, or at least enough other clever stuff to make up for lack of action and special effects. Don't get me wrong, I like a good story, but if this movie is too dialogue based and character driven, it sounds like it will make for a boring comic book movie. Level with me, should I go see it or what?

Imo their was plenty of action and it was awesome.

powerfulone1987
For the few of you that are finding ways to spin in your reviews how bad Catwoman was, I just felt like I had to say that I liked the movie and I thought it was alright and that in no way is Halle Berry responsible for the way the movie turned out. She was no director, she was the actor, she had to do as she was told.

Ok.....

I look forward to seeing this movie.
And as I have been reading these reviews there have been many saying this movie has too little action and others saying it has enought action and some saying it has a lot of action.

Well which is it?
I'd really like to know, because action movies are my favorite and when I go to see a movie such as this, I go mainly for the action. I hope I am not disappointed.

And another thing. The Incredibles did not steal anything from the Fantastic Four.
If they wanted to use the stretch ability then they have the right to, it's not like the Fantastic Four owns that ability and if someone uses it then they stole it from them. Everything is not about the Fantastic Four. This goes for the Force Field ability too.
I have seen many shows/movies with these abilities and more.
If the case was that using a super ability in a movie meant you were stealing from someone else than X-Men would own everything and would be getting powers stolen left and right cause they have almost every super ability in X-Men imaginable, but you don't hear them complaining and making accusations of people stealing their powers.
Did they get Sue Storm's ability from Jean Grey. I don't hear any arguments about that.
People will always just see what they want to see and not the whole picture. That's just the way it is.

Wolfie
I saw this earlier today. I thought it was quite good. They had a lot of things to touch upon so I felt it was going a mile a minute.

After leaving the theater, I thought to myself, "Poor Ben." It seems that he always finds a way to get back to normal but something comes up and he has to sacrifice his normal self and must become the Thing again.

With the story as it was, their names and catchphrases ("Flame on", "It's clobbering time"wink worked well with Johnny trying to get all the exposure.

I'll certainly see the sequel.

xmarksthespot
All that as a coincidence is pretty implausible. I liked Incredibles but there is an undeniable resemblence to the FF, which was created 40 years earlier. To euphemise, Incredibles was an homage to FF, and I'm just hoping the movie-going public don't assume the opposite i.e. that FF derived the powers and concepts from Incredibles.

powerfulone1987
No one derived powers from anybody.
They're their own seperate movies.

Wolfie
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
All that as a coincidence is pretty implausible. I liked Incredibles but there is an undeniable resemblence to the FF, which was created 40 years earlier. To euphemise, Incredibles was an homage to FF, and I'm just hoping the movie-going public don't assume the opposite i.e. that FF derived the powers and concepts from Incredibles.
Exactly, a homage, a good one at that. You can also say that Frozone was a homage to Iceman and the Silver Surfer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.