9/11 World Trade Center Film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

king_arthur
Nearly four years after the collapse of the World Trade Center, Oscar-winning director Oliver Stone will direct a film based on the story of two police officers who were trapped in the rubble on Sept. 11, 2001.

Nicolas Cage, who won a best-actor Oscar for "Leaving Las Vegas," will star as Port Authority police Sgt. John McLoughlin. McLoughlin and fellow officer William J. Jimeno became trapped during rescue efforts after the collapse of the twin towers.

Paramount Pictures said the movie is expected to be released next year.

"It's a work of collective passion, a serious meditation on what happened and carries within a compassion that heals," Stone said in a statement Friday. "It's an exploration of heroism in our country but it's international at the same time in its humanity."

Paramount said the film also will focus on the officers' rescuers and their families. McLoughlin and Jimeno are said to be the last two men rescued.

"I feel someone had to tell the story of the people who were in the Trade Center before and after it collapsed," McLoughlin said in a statement. "It needs to be told how this horrific tragedy brought Americans and the world together to help those in need."

While the star power of Stone and Cage will likely make the movie the most high profile film to tackle 9/11, it's not the first. Many independent films have turned their lens to downtown New York, and in the 2002 film "The Guys" Anthony LaPaglia played a fire captain who lost eight men in the towers' collapse.

mr.smiley
Wow.I don't know if I could watch it or not.

ragesRemorse
Cage is good at whining, so i guess he would be good for this role. I think it is far to soon for a 9/11 flick even though there has been two made for t.v movies for it.

T.M
i think it is to early for a 9/11 film to be made.

although IMO it would prob make loads of money and thats what the makers will be thinking of.

Cinemaddiction
Great timing..

jaden101
wasn't sigourney weaver in a film about the firemen who survived the 9/11 attacks...the film never focused on the attacks themselves but the people trying to come to terms with lost friends

what was it called again?

got it..."the guys" is what it was called

Murray
never saw that, but i think i'll see this film

WindDancer
No, I'm not watching this film. Even worse.. fallen from grace Oliver Stone is directing this? Not good...well at least in my opinion this is a stupid project. Might see it if a friend of mine likes it and reconmmends the movie. Until then this film falls short for me.

general-pain
If Stone directs it, then I will boycott it.

Cipher
The thought of this project makes me cringe.

Oliver Stone being involved only makes it worse......

Nevermind
WOW!! TIME TO RE-LIVE THE TERROR ALREADY?

Imperial_Samura
I can't really say I find the prospect enticing, because at the most basic I don't find "real life" stories all that interesting on the screen (a few rare examples exist that I think are good.) Of course theoretically it has been suggested this kind of process aids in the moving on stage of social mourning (though it is questionable)

Likewise, not all that sure Stone is a good directorial choice, but I can't help but feel no matter what it will make alot of money, just because things like this have alot of pulling power, if for the spectacle alone.

jaden101
you know what i realise...oliver stone is perhaps the most over rated producer EVER

look at his history and the only good films he has done was "born on the 4th of july" and "JFK"

everything else was crap

T.M
yep the pulling power of films like this is huge look at Titanic made billions i think.

Imperial_Samura
Kind of disappointing really, a film should do well based on how good it is, not on name alone.

T.M
yeah i know.

by the way is there suppost to be an I on the end of ur name ?

Imperial_Samura
Yes. But when I first joined I rushed the signing in thing, and failed to see that Imperial_Samurai didn't fit and as such the i was lost. Noticed it later on though. Still, I decided it added character and so didn't change it.

Holcomb
I read somewhere that the proceedes will be donated to charity. You can't argue with that.

fantasygirl
I doubt I'll watch it tho. erm

T.M
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Yes. But when I first joined I rushed the signing in thing, and failed to see that Imperial_Samurai didn't fit and as such the i was lost. Noticed it later on though. Still, I decided it added character and so didn't change it.

cool smile

u think they will use footage from the actual thing in this ?

Holcomb
I don't know, that's an interesting question. I would say probably not though simply due to the sensitive nature of the film. But then again, that special that ran a while ago with Robert DiNiro used actual footage.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know the answer to that question, LOL.

T.M
laughing out loud

i think that they will certainly think about it.

its cheaper to use footage already shot than to film it. and it would add a lot of atmosphere to the movie.

jaden101
some of the shots from the news footage were unbelievable...especially the stuff from the documentary makers...the 2 french guys who were the only people to get the first tower being hit....they were also at the base of the second tower when the 2nd plane hit...i remember the shot of them showing the firemen at the base of the towers...then the noise of the 2nd plane and the camera panned up to see the 2nd plane hitting the tower right above their heads....and off course the fact that they right outside when the first tower began to fall...those were truly terrifying shots

T.M
which is why i think that it is a possibility that they will use these shots. i don't care how good an actor / actress u have u cant get the same emotion as what was seen in real life.

Holcomb
Originally posted by T.M
which is why i think that it is a possibility that they will use these shots. i don't care how good an actor / actress u have u cant get the same emotion as what was seen in real life.

I agree about the real life footage. But you have to keep in mind the sensitive nature of this film and I'm confident they'll handle it in a respectful way.

knight
I think it has been document enough, after all none would learn anything from it. "Trup ****" is so complaisant in his arrogance one day he'll be taken by surprise, the very idea of a building on that site, how disgraceful. His attitude is you knocked down my building blocks,
so I'll build a bigger one with my stupid name on it
come have another shot.
The message he's sending to the world is "I'm A Dickhead",
even though he is.

We all still walk around with our heads in the clouds and can't see past the end of our own noses.

Yesterday I was in my local Supermarket and a announcement came over the P.A. System, "Register 4 is now open" one guy kept asking which one was register 4, people pointed to it but still he didn't get it. So finally I said "They are numbered for a reason" pointing to the ceiling where the lanes were numbered
IN HUGE MARK-IE SIGNS WITH THE SUPERMARKET LOGO ON THEM... all he had to do was look up.

He said "I didn't know you had to look up"...
I finished with "What good are you then?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/hot_knight/dd_banner.jpg

king_arthur
AFter watching Alexander, I don't think Oliver Stone is a good choice.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by jaden101
you know what i realise...oliver stone is perhaps the most over rated producer EVER

look at his history and the only good films he has done was "born on the 4th of july" and "JFK"

everything else was crap

Dont forget The Doors and Platoon.Those were really good as well. If the story is just about two firefighters survival of the tragedy then I think it would be pretty silly to make a movie of it.But if this movie is about who was really behind the attacks and is another JFK movie,then I'm all for it.Stone woke up a lot of people including me about who was REALLY behind the assassination of JFK and if this film is another film like that one then Im all for it because just like in the JFK case,the media is covering up the truth on who was really behind it all and that it was an inside job by the government.Of course Im sure Stone will get attacked for it just like he did with JFK that is unless its just about two firefighters who survived it and thats what the movie is about of course.

bakerboy
Oliver stone is a great director, movies like platoon, JFK, the doors or born on the 4th of july are great movies. He is a great filmaker.

king_arthur
Well lets hope he redeem himself after that gay film Alexander.

king_arthur
I think its too early. They are only doing this so they can get more money and they know any disaster type movie will be hits such as Titanic and Pearl Harbour. We all know what happen that day, and also its still pain for those who lost friends and family

FlappingMangera
I think this film will be a lot better than alexander. Stone is a good director, writing isn't his strong suit and i'm pretty sure someone else wrote this 9/11 film

fini
OMG, why would they make a movie out of this SO soon.

I know Hollywood is running out of ideas for movies, But to try to cash in on 9/11 this soon, while its still fresh in everyon's minds is simply the most INSENSITIVE i've heard of.

3D Figure
I wonder how much this thing is going to cost. I mean how much footage will be shot and how much detail will go into this movie. Meaning will it be one of those that are dealing with events in thebuilding to end at time of the towers colapse (spelling) I mean there are so many areas he can focus on.

edwinian
anyone know what's up with the movie about the rescue of 2 Port Authority police officers during the WTC attack... supposedly it's about 2 of the 20 actual survivors, but that's all i know. i havent really heard any new news in a bit.....

Prelude Pianist
I am ashamed there are making this movie, after United 93 came out people think WTC movie would be alright, Well I highly doubt this film will EVER get to Cinemas and I am really really ashamed of a good actor Nicolas Cage playing this movie.

Prelude Pianist
I cant post the link...

diabloman
Originally posted by Prelude Pianist
I cant post the link... y not ?

DeVi| D0do
Well I highly doubt this film will EVER get to Cinemas... Lol.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The trailer looks promising:

World Trade Center Trailer...

Plus, Oliver Stone generally makes decent movies...

http://www.7sur7.be/hln/artikels/foto/large_148651.jpg

lordofwar
There is already a thread on this movie.

Wolfie
If Nicolas Cage is in it, why wouldn't it go to theaters?

Expect a lot more 9/11 movies, at least one more announced I believe.

Nevermind
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
http://www.7sur7.be/hln/artikels/foto/large_148651.jpg

Wow, that's a nice poster.

Punker69
Yeah, the poster is neat.

Though five years for all these movies to suddenly start coming out is too soon. I dont doubt they will be fine films but at least wait a few more years before reminding the public of something that is still fresh in their minds.

LepperFace15
cant wait

NineCoronas
Originally posted by Punker69
Yeah, the poster is neat.

Though five years for all these movies to suddenly start coming out is too soon. I dont doubt they will be fine films but at least wait a few more years before reminding the public of something that is still fresh in their minds. Aye... I think the first Pearl Harbor movie was about 12 years after it happened.

Prelude Pianist
Originally posted by diabloman
y not ?

I'm a new member, I tried. But some message appeared saying I can't since I'm a new member and it will be caused as spam.

Punker69
Originally posted by NineCoronas
Aye... I think the first Pearl Harbor movie was about 12 years after it happened.

This is 6. About double the difference.

Mr Parker
I am ashamed there are making this movie, after United 93 came out people think WTC movie would be alright, Well I highly doubt this film will EVER get to Cinemas and I am really really ashamed of a good actor Nicolas Cage playing this movie.

most of the familys of the survivors have been okay with the movie so that being the case I think its okay to make it.You also got to remember they made a movie about pearl harbour as well within a couple years after their attack so this would not be the first time they have done this for a tragedy movie so soon.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by NineCoronas
Aye... I think the first Pearl Harbor movie was about 12 years after it happened.

actually believe it or not,after the bombing of pearl harbour they made a movie about that event withing a couple years so this wouldnt be the first time for a movie to come out about a tragic event that is a huge part of american history.

jaden101
aparently they showed 20 minutes of it at cannes

Stubbs
You have a point there Parker, But what happened to WTC actually happened, We witnessed it. Our time.

Jenova
Oliver stone will get shot if he makes this movie...

dills
I think it looks AMAZING.

WrathfulDwarf
I was watching the MTV News special on WTC the movie yesterday. Despite what Oliver is trying to imply with his ideas I just can't really get a good reason to watch the flick. If it was a documentary I'm sold. But is just basically Nicholas Cage acting and getting buried under the rumble. Pass it..

I saw it earlier tonight. When i left the theatre I was glad I had seen this movie now. Once i saw it all the memories from that day came rushing back. It was good to get kind of a jolt so that I don't forget what that day was all about. The acting was top-notch imo (except for a few not-so-great performances here and there, mostly by the wives). Nicholas Cage was very believable as was his the actor who was the other main character (his name escapes me)

The movie was well worth it and I really wanted to come out of the theatre thinking the film was a masterpiece but it's not. It's very-good but not the best movie you can make about the event. I felt like there were too-many cutscenes and just a little bit too much focus on the wives (imo).

And although the film is about the two PAPD officers who got trapped I still would of liked to see a bit more of a broader plot, more scenes with how the world reacted and such. Overall I think it's a film everyone should go see (especially all New Yorkers)

Altar[1stONE]
Meh, you can miss Two cops under rocks. I say they will make a better 9 11 picture in some years.

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by Mr Parker
actually believe it or not,after the bombing of pearl harbour they made a movie about that event withing a couple years so this wouldnt be the first time for a movie to come out about a tragic event that is a huge part of american history.

it was over about 50 yrs since it happened that Pearl Harbor came out

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by 113
I saw it earlier tonight. When i left the theatre I was glad I had seen this movie now. Once i saw it all the memories from that day came rushing back. It was good to get kind of a jolt so that I don't forget what that day was all about. The acting was top-notch imo (except for a few not-so-great performances here and there, mostly by the wives). Nicholas Cage was very believable as was his the actor who was the other main character (his name escapes me)

The movie was well worth it and I really wanted to come out of the theatre thinking the film was a masterpiece but it's not. It's very-good but not the best movie you can make about the event. I felt like there were too-many cutscenes and just a little bit too much focus on the wives (imo).

And although the film is about the two PAPD officers who got trapped I still would of liked to see a bit more of a broader plot, more scenes with how the world reacted and such. Overall I think it's a film everyone should go see (especially all New Yorkers)

I think its Jay Hernandez confused

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Stubbs
You have a point there Parker, But what happened to WTC actually happened, We witnessed it. Our time.

well for US its definetely more of a big deal to us than pearl harbour is no doubt but the people back then that were alive who experienced pearl harbour no doubt felt the same way about a movie being made about it back then as we do about 9-11 no doubt.They had to go through with it so we might as well have to go through with it as well. we have had 5 years to dwell and grief about it,I think its time to start talking about it through films.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
it was over about 50 yrs since it happened that Pearl Harbor came out

yeah but like i said,those people back then had to experience the same thing we are now when a movie came out about it a few years later.My point it this would not be the first time in history that they have made a film soon after a tragic event.

mysticpeach
I don't think we should just look at how simply America was effected, but also at broader issues. For example about our actions, and ways we are exploiting other countries, our invasion of Iraq, which was based on lies. People were lead to think that Saddam Hussein, the corrupt leader or iraq, had something to do with the attack of the world trade center. Which is false.. Bin laden was the one who helped plan the terrorist attack on the world trade center. Some people even have a theory that America may have even been involved in planning the attack.. its hard to know the complete truth...
I'm not saying this movie is all negative. America's "idle" for money and profit got knocked down.. but instead maybe now this movie can give people a way to grieve and understand the impact it had on people's emotional lives, besides simply how "corporate America" was effected. Maybe the terrorist attack is a signal of the anger of how other countries feel towards us, for exploiting and ignoring them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.