The Dark Side...What can it REALLY do?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jerlark386
A few questions...

You often hear about the power of the darkside in the movies, but what can it really do? Both the jedi and the sith can do similar things with the force. Even Palpatine himself said the jedi and the sith are similar in almost every way.

If the force really depends on the user and what the user does with it, why is it treated as a separate entity? Can the force be in conflict with itself?

What can attract a user to the darkside? We all know the tatic Sidious uses, but it all turns out to be a dead end. Sidious is powerful in the force, but still comparable to Yoda. Although servile, the jedi seem fairly strong force-wise. Sidious's true power, seem to come mostly from his military and political control. The only obvious difference is lightning and the fact that the Sith are apparently evil. So what is the darkside's true power?

DenKi
I got no idea, this is a good point and it should of been told in Episode 3....

Because I can
Just a question,
Did Star Wars start out as a book, or movie?

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by Because I can
Just a question,
Did Star Wars start out as a book, or movie?

They started making the movie first, but the book was released first.

Please keep to the topic though.

Bicnarok

Darth_Rankkor

Sith-Nerd
In ep. 3 palpatine says that some sith can keep people from dying, you never hear about a jedi doing that.

General Zodiac
Originally posted by Sith-Nerd
In ep. 3 palpatine says that some sith can keep people from dying, you never hear about a jedi doing that.

That could have been a lie to turn Anakin.

Sith-Nerd
Does that answer anything.......?

Sith-Nerd
true

Sith-Nerd
My question is, if anakin turned to the dark side, who tought him to become a force ghost, sideous??? Because when maul or dooku died they didnt become a ghost, mabye only jedi can do that, that kinda shows that jedi are more powerful

Moff jango
I don't think so! Sidious came back too! and not in a ghost variant but as a man of flesh and blood. That makes the Dark Side more powerfull!

General Zodiac
The darkside can't comeback like Obi-Wan and Yoda did. Qui-Gon learned the path of immortality making him one of the wisest Jedi ever.

darthmaul1
How and when did sidious come back?? he's dead!
Do some of you people even watch the movies??
Sith are evil Jedi are good, the jedi only use the force for knowledge and defence never for attack.
Mace was dead from the lightning and luke was mearly being tortured.
Palpatine said that darth palagius was able to save people from dying thats it.

Neo_Version 7
Was Mace dead before he flew out the window?

I thought I heard him scream.

It's all good though. It's not like he's Lando or anything.

b-dan
i like it better than the light side its more interesting you can choke ppl and u get lighting powers and maby u can controll peoples mindes.

b-dan
Originally posted by Sith-Nerd
My question is, if anakin turned to the dark side, who tought him to become a force ghost, sideous??? Because when maul or dooku died they didnt become a ghost, mabye only jedi can do that, that kinda shows that jedi are more powerful well i shall use the best excuse ever hes the chosen one

Darth_Rankkor
Originally posted by General Zodiac
The darkside can't comeback like Obi-Wan and Yoda did. Qui-Gon learned the path of immortality making him one of the wisest Jedi ever.

You're forgeting Marka Ragnos and Naga Sadow at least. They also came back in etheral form. :P (of course this is EU but I don't care, it's a valid argument)

Sith-Nerd
Originally posted by b-dan
well i shall use the best excuse ever hes the chosen one

your wrong, the chosen one was supposed to bring balance to the force he didnt!! Luke is the chosen one, yes darth vader killed sidious, but only because luke switched him over.

Moff jango
read Dark Empire

Darth_Rankkor
The balance was to kill all jedi scum (which vader and the clones did) evil face

Sith-Nerd
i think your completely wrong...but you have a point, if your a sith the balance is to get rid of the jedi. But if your a jedi the balance is to get rid of the sith, it depends what side your on.

Zabrine Qui
Vader was the the one. The prophecy said he would bring balance to the force. He did he bought the Jedi numbers down to two. Two Sith Two Jedi sounds pretty balanced to me.

Another note force lighting was not restricted to the darkside. Yoda used it in Ep II to show Dooku that he was not as powerful as he thought.

The powers are the same for both sides of the force. It is just that the Sith like to use the ones know to do harm. Where as the Jedi are diplomats they prefer the simple mind trick.

theshakl
what the dark side does is make u feel good.. like drug u know...

its like saying ...the force is ...food... the light side is a simple candy..and the dark side is a drug..(it makes u feel better than the candy but it makes u an unclear thinker)

General Zodiac
aka Anakin Skywalker

DarkAge
My understanding (which I've gathered from the RoTS novel) is that the Jedi and the Sith follow the same religion, but different philosophies. Whereas the Jedi detach themselves from all desire, the Sith are greedy and care only about possession and power. The Jedi look outwards for their wisdom, by using compassion, whereas the Sith look inwards.

In the novel Palpatine says "It is said that if one could entirely comprehend a single grain of sand--really, truly understand everything about it--one would, at the same time, entirely comprehend the universe. Who's to say that a Sith, by looking inward, sees less than a Jedi does by looking out?"

The Sith gain unnatural powers by choosing the dark side. They can cheat age and death and can remain acrobatic into old age. As for Force lightning, that is just a Force push pushing electrons together in the air. I guess the Sith also aquire advanced vision which enables them to see eletrons. The Jedi accept death as a part of life; they follow the will of the Force. Sith on the other hand use the Force to fit their will.

The Jedi gain power through understanding, the Sith gain understanding through power.

Captain REX
Try to keep to the movies here, folks! Using Palpatine's cloning trick or calling on Force Storms in the EU is irrelevant...and don't give me crap about it!

DarkAge is entirely right, for the most part.

The Dark Side is the quick and easy way to power, which does not require much learning and tutoring, for the most part, to become powerful. Fueled off of negative emotions (anger, hatred, fear, jealousy, arrogance), it provides the user of the Dark Side great powers relatively fast.

The Light Side is less easy to learn, and requires much learning and tutoring. In the end, they are just as dangerous and powerful as Sith when they are ready.

The Dark Side also provides weird defects, to some degree. Lightning is one such thing, preventing death another.

matreid
A sith cannot cheat death IMO. Palpatine only used that to seduce Anakin to the darkside. Immortality cannot be granted through greed, hatred and anger, all the emotions that cause suffering and decay within.
Sure, the darkside will give you some pretty sweet powers, but in the end it will only kill you.

Captain REX
It can be used to cheat death...but we don't see it in the movies.

The Dark Side is said to rot you from the inside, corrupt and twist your body. Kind of like how in KOTOR people change as they become evil.

Bicnarok
the dark side seem more fun, you can abuse your power, shag, etc...

Moff jango
SHAG the one word i needed to hear. Bye u jedi folks! I gonna become a sith. See ya on the battlefields of Ruusan!

Nactous
many dangerous things.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.