Elizabethtown

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Murray
This is a new movie coming out in October.

Director is Cameron Crowe, who did Jerry McGuire, and it stars Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst, Susan Surandon, and Judy Greer. It's about a designer for a shoe company, Drew (Bloom), who is fired for his failure of a shoe design. The same day, he gets a call from his sister (Greer) that their dad has died. (supposedly, Drew is on the verge of suicide) On the flight home he meets a flight attendant (Dunst), who he eventually falls in love with. Now, he takes his fathers ashes and goes on a trip to all the places that his father has wanted to go. Susan Surandon gives a great performance as Drew's mother.

The reviews of this movie have been excellent. Critics say it is as good as McGuire!

They think there will be a lot of acting nods in award season for this movie like McGuire.

Anyone interested?

DanieLs_4_Ever
Heard about it when it first started filming. Its a town up from where I live. A person I know from school was an extra in the film.
Ill sure see it.

Cinemaddiction
Well, Orlando Bloom actually has to act in this one, so..guess we'll see if he's legit.

*Georgina_A*
Definitely interested. Liked Jerry McGuire, so I'm hoping this is good too.

Looking forward to seeing how Orlando does in this lol.

ThePhantomsKiss
AWESOME! Can't wait to see it!

Murray
Yeah.

I first heard about it last April when Orlando signed onto it. I've been following it ever since. Do you think the premier will be in the town where they filmed? I doubt it.

I asked my mom if it was in Kentucky if I could take a road trip down to the premier!

She said I'm too young and I don't have the money or transport! Damn.

~*Angel_Wingz*~
i cant wait for this movie! from what ive read about it, orlando's acting is actually good lol, also id like to see if he can talk in an american accent...

botankus
This is not very indicative of what I would normally say, but for some reason after seeing the trailer I think Orlando can pull the dramatic acting bit off well.

Murray
oh yeah.

Actually, Ropert or Ebert saw this film and they said in an review that "This is, by far, Orlando's finest acting. Now we know he is officially one of the true actors of his generation."

He also said that he wouldn't be shocked if Orlando were to get some nods for his role, either People's Choice, Critics Choice, GOLDEN GLOBES, and he said if he doesn't have much tough competition. . .

even oscar maybe!!!

Imperial_Samura
Sounds mighty impressive.

Murray
i thought so.

He is said to have a major crying scene, but I'm not exactly sure if it's true.

What is he DID get the BIG nod! Like. . . . . WOW, that'd be sweet!

Murray
here's a good recent pic that i found

Murray
they are so cute, and OB looks REALLY good.

botankus
Originally posted by Murray
even oscar maybe!!!

Now is this the kind of movie that would have a chance at producing an oscar-nominated actor? I'm not familiar with the movie.

For example, A Walk in the Clouds, while romantic and sappy and all that jazz, would have no chance at an Oscar because of the...you know...nature of the film.

It's more common sense than an actual definition, if you get my drift.

Murray
Hey, look at Jerry McGuire!

But I do see your point.

Cinemaddiction
Well, he's got A LOT ro prove, IMO. He's finally doing something other than a period piece..

Murray
thank god

Darth Nauj
Saw the preview for this movie when I went to watch WOTW and It looks pretty good. Cant wait when it comes out

Fionnuala
This looks interesting...granted I've only seen the info that's been in Empire, but like most people I'll be interested to see how Orlando does without a bow and arrow..

bilb
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Well, he's got A LOT ro prove, IMO. He's finally doing something other than a period piece..

I agree.. I have seen both trailers for this one (the one set to the Elton John song - that trailer is better than most movies) but OB doesnt look all that impressive in it.. I adore Cameron Crowe so I hope he gets a good performance out of him because it sounds like a really good movie

Murray
Entertainment Weekly is thinking Oscar for Cameron Crowe (nomination)

Murray
COME ON!

SOMEONE KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!!
I WANT TO HAVE ONE SUCCESSFUL THREAD, AT LEAST!

PPLLEEAASSEE!!!

Hornyman
I've been to the real Elizabethtown. They have a realy nice La Quinta next to it.

Darth Nauj
COME ON!

SOMEONE KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!!
I WANT TO HAVE ONE SUCCESSFUL THREAD, AT LEAST!

PPLLEEAASSEE!!!
laughing out loud

a lot of people dont like orlando bloom so that might be a reason sweety wink

Shelby Cook
Why does everyone hate Orlando Bloom he isn't that bad...but that's just my opinion I guess.

Evil Dead
I live in the real Elizabethtown wink ............nothing special by any means.

Damn they've been holding this back forever havn't they.......I watched them film some of it like 15 months ago............

SleaterKinney32
It's about time Orlando has to prove his acting skills. I honestly have never been a big Orlando film, but this film looks really, really good. As soon as a saw the trailer in theaters, I knew I'd have to see it.

ilvorlandobloom
yeah, this movie looks so good. (and not JUST because Orli is in itbig grin) finally he's in a present-day film!! i can't wait till Oct 14th!!!!!!!! I love u, Orlando!!! and I think he's a good actor yes

DeVi| D0do
This film is gonna be amazing. Crowe is a great director... and by the looks of it he's actually been able to get a half-decent performance out of Orlando.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/elizabethtown/firstLook_large.html

Murray
I agree.

crickey77
this one looks awesome! crowe does a great job with his movies and the trailer definitely shows a lot of potential. plus the soundtrack seems really good.

Murray
I think the soundtrack is amazing.

Elondra
I'll definetly be seeing this.

dragon milly
Orlando!!! droolio
I CAN'T WAIT for this one. I know some of you think he may not be able to pull it off but I think he has it in him to carry a movie and act without period props.

JamalMagloire
Looking forward to this one too! Just read that MTV will be airing a movie special on Elizabethtown:

Fri. Oct.7th, 5:00 PM
Sun. Oct. 9th, 8:30 AM
Fri. Oct 14th, 12:00 AM
Fri. Oct. 14th, 10:00 AM

stimpsy
Indeed, it looks very nice

Murray
Did anyone read Entertainment Weekly?

It says in the Elizabethtown article that the critics didn't like the longer version shown at the Festivals, but audiences went crazy for it.

Do you think the theatrical version shown next week will be better?

edwinian
Did anyone read Entertainment Weekly?

It says in the Elizabethtown article that the critics didn't like the longer version shown at the Festivals, but audiences went crazy for it.

Do you think the theatrical version shown next week will be better?

yeah i heard the same thing coming out of those festivals. i read an interview with Crowe on another site where he said he tweaked the released version a bit.

and now critics are raving. who is seeing it in the theater?

Murray
Are you kidding?

I've recorded everything on TV that I can about Elizabethtown. My mom says she gonna let me out of school so me and a few friends can see it.

5 DAYS LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murray
2 MORE DAYS!!!

Murray
I just visited Entertainment Weekly, and they gave it a rating of C+. Is it really not that great?

edwinian
I just visited Entertainment Weekly, and they gave it a rating of C+. Is it really not that great?

there are a lot of positive reviews out there too -- fromt he ones ive seen, elizabethtown is supposed to be awesome. dont worry. Crowe, Sarandon, Bloom, Dunst, and an awesome soundtrack?

no chance of failure. I predict #1 at the Box Office come monday. Happy Dance

Murray
I saw it last night and I thought it was adorable. Very funny.

It was very long, though, but I would still see it again.

What did you guys think?

Murray
Wow.

What da ya know? #3 with only 11 million. Maybe this wasn't so great after all. I still thought it was cute.

shugie99
It was mediocre...I was with it until the tap dancing at the funeral, and then the whole thing just lost it for me. I found Kirsten Dunst kind of annoying...I didn't mind Orlando though. It was SUPER long...snooze.

Susan-Storm
I Think it looks good. someone i know does not think so though

OU1313
What a huge let down this film was. Both actors were given accents they just couldn't pull off. The story moved along only because cell phones were in every scene and the chemistry between Bloom and Dunst was barely believable.

This was a poorly done rendition of Garden State. Boy's depressed. Boy loses parent. Boy meets quirky girl. Boy find a bit of happy in his otherwise weird and crumbling life.

All in all, Crowe has an amazing ear for music and how to work it against a scene. Outsid of Almost Famous, I never really loved his work. I enjoyed Vanilla Sky a good deal, but never jumped on the Jerry McGuire train. Elizabethtown just felt like Crowe gave up on originality and prayed that a solid music background would drown out his formualic writing.

Fëanor
well you gotta admit, at least orlando is not dressed as some lame duck warrior or something...and kirsten dunst in any leading romantic role just doesn't cut it!

Murray
good arguements, guys. I agree

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.