Jesus lived in India???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CosmicSurfer
Take a look at this:

http://www.hindunet.org/alt_hindu/1995_Feb_2/msg00003.html

Nicholas Notovich wrote the book "The unknown life of Jesus Christ". In the ancient scripts he found, Jesus name was Issa, a prophet from Israel. Issa was well acquainted with Buddhist theology. According to Notovich, Jesus studied with Hindu and Buddhist masters in the far east.

Nicolas Notovitch, who found ancient scrpits in tibetian monastries which had references to Christ. The preachings of Christ are mostly based on the sacred Hindu book "The Bhagavat Gita", and the preachings of Buddha and had been to the Kumbha mela and Kashi and became a master of the advanced form or yoga named Kundalini.

Can this be true? Or is it hogwash?

Shakyamunison
I've known this for a long time. If you read what Jesus said and then read the lotus Sutra, you will see something shocking. Jesus was a Buddhist.

cking
Jesus lived in Israel, but Thomas an apostle was killed when he was preaching in India.

cking
the bible never said Jesus left Israel, but when he was a baby he left for Egypt because king Herod kept hearing the coming of the messiah would be born in Bethlehem. so he ordered all boys under the age of two in Israel to be killed. so the angel told Mary to take the boy and go to Egypt. after that he told to come back because the ones who wanted to kill him are now dead.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by cking
the bible never said Jesus left Israel, but when he was a baby he left for Egypt because king Herod kept hearing the coming of the messiah would be born in Bethlehem. so he ordered all boys under the age of two in Israel to be killed. so the angel told Mary to take the boy and go to Egypt. after that he told to come back because the ones who wanted to kill him are now dead.

What about the missing years? From around 12 to 30 there is not account of Jesus in the bible.

CosmicSurfer

Keep in mind that the bible never gave details on what Jesus did his whole life. A big part of his history is not known. They never explained what he did throughout his teens and early adulthood.

The New Testament Gospels are the worlds primary source of information about the life of Jesus. As most of you probably know the Gospels only tell us about His birth, His childhood up to about 4, then skips about 8 years, there is a short story when He is 12, this skips about 17 years, and at the age of 30 He starts to spread His word.

Atlantis001
I heard that many of Jesus miracles were already performed by Siddharta Gautama( did I spell it right?), like walking in the water. Luckly there were not copyrights for miracles at that time.

mr.smiley
I belive (in some rights) he was the first Buddha.I know at the time God like stories of Mithra and such where being tought,their is one source that states even Brahma priest where intiatied in the secret rights of Dionysus.That being said it's no suprise early Christian text such as the Gospel of Thomas have such a stong Buddhist Influence.It's very possible the Brahma brought the intitaition back to the Buddhist who in turn might have seen the rights of Dionysus.This is all just my peculation though,but very possible.

cking
actually the bible says that if the world were to write books about Jesus the world would never contain them.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I belive (in some rights) he was the first Buddha.I know at the time God like stories of Mithra and such where being tought,their is one source that states even Brahma priest where intiatied in the secret rights of Dionysus.That being said it's no suprise early Christian text such as the Gospel of Thomas have such a stong Buddhist Influence.It's very possible the Brahma brought the intitaition back to the Buddhist who in turn might have seen the rights of Dionysus.This is all just my peculation though,but very possible.

Not bad, but I think your off my about 500 years (I could be wrong).

Shakyamunison
actually the bible says that if the world were to write books about Jesus the world would never contain them.

The thought the bible was about Jesus (ha ha).

cking
it is, if people were to write about his 33 year life then the world could never contain them.

CosmicSurfer
Here is a very, very interesting research article on this subject matter:

enjoy

http://www.proaxis.com/~deardorj/ecumensm.htm

finti
why not

debbiejo
I've also read something like this......Anythings possible...with a good pair of feet.

finti
we know jesus sure as hell didnt live in Norway though

cking
too cold for someone who is from the Mediterranean world.

Shakyamunison
too cold for someone who is from the Mediterranean world.

There was trade between India and the Middle east, so, Jesus could have gotten there through a caravan. This type of travel takes a long time. Jesus could have acclimated along the way.

Atlantis001

I heard that about Mithra too. The Persian religion also resembles Christian, and the Egyptian religion too. The "holy water" thing came from Egyptian mysticism.

finti
depends where in Norway you arae

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by finti
depends where in Norway you arae

Ok finti, what are talking about? What is you angle?

finti
replying to ckings answer to my post we know jesus sure as hell didnt live in Norway though

Shakyamunison
replying to ckings answer to my post we know jesus sure as hell didnt live in Norway though

Ok, good point laughing

finti
of course it is a good point it came from me big grin big grin wink reading smart

Shakyamunison
of course it is a good point it came from me big grin big grin wink reading smart

Ooooh A Buddha!yinyang

CosmicSurfer
I find it hard to believe that Jesus traveled 3000 miles to India. There's simply no solid proof of it. Just speculation.

However, King Asoka sent missionaries all over the world. And it was mentioned that these Buddhist misssionaries reached the middle east and even as far to Greece and Egypt.

The essences were probably heavily influenced by Buddhist thoughts. And John the Baptist was an essence. Jesus was probably influenced by John and the buddhist missionaries in the mideast.

This seems more highly likely than Jesus traveling to India. I don't think it's possible at all for him to go that far east and why would he?. Feel free to debate this since I'm intrigued by the correlation between Buddha's teachings and Jesus.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by CosmicSurfer
I find it hard to believe that Jesus traveled 3000 miles to India. There's simply no solid proof of it. Just speculation.

However, King Asoka sent missionaries all over the world. And it was mentioned that these Buddhist misssionaries reached the middle east and even as far to Greece and Egypt.

The essences were probably heavily influenced by Buddhist thoughts. And John the Baptist was an essence. Jesus was probably influenced by John and the buddhist missionaries in the mideast.

This seems more highly likely than Jesus traveling to India. I don't think it's possible at all for him to go that far east and why would he?. Feel free to debate this since I'm intrigued by the correlation between Buddha's teachings and Jesus.

Here is the Lotus Sutra, it's hard to read, but it will help you understand the correlation between the teaching of Buddha and Jesus.

http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/library/Buddhism/LotusSutra/

cking
Jesus never traveled to India and the bible says so. Jews NEVER associated with people outside their country even the law says this. I'm just going by what the bible says.

cking
Jesus couldn't leave Israel, because he had yet to preach his minister.

mr.smiley
It's very possible for the two religons to influence eachother.Like I said earlier,a Brahma priest was even part of the rights of Dionysus.We can't prove this happend on a major scale,but we know it happened once.

Shakyamunison
It's very possible for the two religons to influence eachother.Like I said earlier,a Brahma priest was even part of the rights of Dionysus.We can't prove this happend on a major scale,but we know it happened once.

I think, generally, you are correct. The more we learn about the ancient world the more we realize that there was some kind of trade that connected parts of the world we never though passable. Many of the general concepts are similar like reincarnation and resurrection.

cking
Israel never traded with India.

Shakyamunison
Israel never traded with India.

Prove it...

cking
go to Israel and look up their records before Christ came. or go to the library and maybe look up information about Jewish history in biblical times. the Jews before christ hate gentiles. but after christ and the Romans lost power then that would be a different story in the trade business, but before no history of Israel trading with India. but some early Christians did get some influence from there.

mr.smiley
India and I belive Rome where the two that met.I'll look through my books again (i'm pretty sure I know which one it was in though)

cking
they are both very similar

Shakyamunison
go to Israel and look up their records before Christ came. or go to the library and maybe look up information about Jewish history in biblical times. the Jews before christ hate gentiles. but after christ and the Romans lost power then that would be a different story in the trade business, but before no history of Israel trading with India. but some early Christians did get some influence from there.

Cking, I know my world history, at the time when Jesus lived the Roman Empire extended all the way east as far as Mesopotamia and the Persian Gulf. The Romans traded with Persia and they traded with India. The Romans ruled Israel at that time when Jesus lived and the Romans would not let Jewish law dictate anything about trade, trade was important.

cking
still that doesn't mean that isreal traded. the romans did but isreal didn't.

cking
still the Romans never liked Israel because of their laws and would have better things to do than deal with Israel when it came to trade.

cking
the Romans did let Israel follow their own laws. I read some history myself. the Romans did let their provinces do what they wanted to as long as the governor would handle it. if a rebellion started they would come down and destroy the country. Pilate was pressured because if he let Jesus go then the Jews would get mad and they would rebel and Pilate would be fired from his position, so he let the Jews do what they wanted. Pilate said he was non guilty, while the Jews said he was guilty. after that, Pilate ruled in Judea for 12 more years. After that things were really starting going bad for Pilate, he was shipped to France where he hanged himself. That decision had a big impact on his life. he surely was the victim that day.

debbiejo

Heard that besides John the Baptist, also Mary his mother, and his grandmother anna wre Essenes. and I think some of his diciples..

And thanks Shaky....I'll look at your Sutra site.

finti
the bible never said anywhere that Jesus didnt go to India, actually from the age of 12 until jesus started his missionary work around age 30 the bible says nothing about where he went and where he didnt go

didnt stop them from trading wit them though

how?

CosmicSurfer
debbiejo, I think you might be very interested in this website since you're bold and have an openmind about the flaws on christianity

Shakyamunison, I've read somewhere here that you're a buddhist(if I'm correct). You would be interested in this as well. And thanks for that link, it was helpful.

Before you guys browse through this website, I highly recommend you click on the FAQ link. They have extremely interesting questions with answers about what we're debating in this thread.

I hope you two enjoy this website.

Here it is: http://www.tombofjesus.com/home.htm

Shakyamunison
debbiejo, I think you might be very interested in this website since you're bold and have an openmind about the flaws on christianity

Shakyamunison, I've read somewhere here that you're a Buddhist(if I'm correct). You would be interested in this as well.

Before you guys browse through this website, I highly recommend you click on the FAQ link. They have extremely interesting questions with answers about what we're debating in this thread.

Here it is: http://www.tombofjesus.com/home.htm

Thank you.

Yes I am a Buddhist.

I looked at the link, but the FAQ tab did not work for me, it maybe my system. Would you please send me a copy, of FAQ page, in text format? Or at least some of the most interesting questions and answers.

I wish you great happiness.

CosmicSurfer
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Thank you.

Yes I am a Buddhist.

I looked at the link, but the FAQ tab did not work for me, it maybe my system. Would you please send me a copy, of FAQ page, in text format? Or at least some of the most interesting questions and answers.

I wish you great happiness.

I think I know what's wrong. When you point your cursor on FAQ it will say "Frequently Asked Questions" right below it. Click that.

Shakyamunison
I think I know what's wrong. When you point your cursor on FAQ it will say "Frequently Asked Questions" right below it. Click that.

Thanks, that worked. I will have to read it later. I'm a little out of time.

debbiejo
Thank you very much....I always wondered if there was a connection between Jesus and Buddha...Or if he did indeed travel to India...many Christians get very upset when they see statues of Jesus sitting a a lotus (?) position looking like a Buddha and I think this will be a very interesting link........I skimmed through the site and saved it for later....

The ancient documents are listed on Jesus possibly traveling to India...

http://www.tombofjesus.com/ancient.htm

CosmicSurfer
Originally posted by debbiejo
Thank you very much....I always wondered if there was a connection between Jesus and Buddha...Or if he did indeed travel to India...many Christians get very upset when they see statues of Jesus sitting a a lotus (?) position looking like a Buddha and I think this will be a very interesting link........I skimmed through the site and saved it for later....

The ancient documents are listed on Jesus possibly traveling to India...

http://www.tombofjesus.com/ancient.htm

You know,.....now that I've discovered this site and browsed through most of the links and articles. I've changed my mind. I now think that it is possible that he did lived in India and died there as well.

It's absolutely mind blowing and fascinating that he spent the majority of his life in India than in the middle east. He went there as teen and learned from the Hindus and Buddhists and came back to Jerusalem to preach at age 30. And after surving the crusifixtion, he went back to India and died there at a ripe old age.

What do you think debbiejo, was Jesus really more of a Buddhist/Jain than a Jew?

cking
Jesus never left Israel. He was a carpenter and had to help with Joseph and his business. I have read some history of jesus lost years. He simply played out his life like a regular human until he was called to preach. Jesus never left his hometown that much. He left his home just to go to Jerusalem to celebrate the passover. Jesus doesn't listen to other religions, even through he is god. He would never make a 4,ooo mile trip over a hot desert just to go to a place. back then they were strict on children on were they were going. jesus stayed with Joseph during those lost years if he wanted to survive. being a carpenter was a respectable job back then, but they don't have the money, food, camels, or servants to cross a desert like Abraham did. Abraham was very rich he received alot from both his father and the Pharaoh. jesus knew about the other religions of the world. at the age of 12 he had more wisdom than Solomon and also the teachers of the law of his day. they were amazed that a kid from a carpenter family knew so much. Jesus wasn't an ordinary child. He knew exactly why he was born and what he was to become.

Imperial_Samura
One would have imagined that someone with such an important message would have started preaching early though, to as many as possible. And India has always been a reasonably good place to found religions...

Shakyamunison
You know,.....now that I've discovered this site and browsed through most of the links and articles. I've changed my mind. I now think that it is possible that he did lived in India and died there as well.

It's absolutely mind blowing and fascinating that he spent the majority of his life in India than in the middle east. He went there as teen and learned from the Hindus and Buddhists and came back to Jerusalem to preach at age 30. And after surving the crusifixtion, he went back to India and died there at a ripe old age.

What do you think debbiejo, was Jesus really more of a Buddhist/Jain than a Jew?

Long before I ever heard about this, I studied the bible. One day I decided to read just the words of Jesus (my bible had red text for what Jesus said). I was having problems with aspects of Church doctrine, having to do with women. I read just the red text, over and over again skipping everything else. I was amazed at what I read; you should try it. What Jesus was saying did not match what the apostles said, and did not sound like Church doctrine. I got tired of hypocrites who quoted scripture out of one side of the mouth and evil out the other. So, I left and turned my back on Christianity. Then I heard that Jesus had gone to Tibet and learned all the sacred writings in record time, he even did miracles there. Now that I know Buddhism, I understand what Jesus was saying.

cking
you know Jesus said, that people would have false teachings of him and his life. do you think God would go to a different country and listen to someone who is the exact opposite of what he teaches? no, Jesus would not and people who claim he went to Tibet don't know what they are talking about and try to confuse and deceive people. now I understand what Jesus was saying about this. people may say jesus went here or there, but jesus said not to believe them, because they give false information.

Shakyamunison
you know Jesus said, that people would have false teachings of him and his life. do you think God would go to a different country and listen to someone who is the exact opposite of what he teaches? no, Jesus would not and people who claim he went to Tibet don't know what they are talking about and try to confuse and deceive people. now I understand what Jesus was saying about this. people may say jesus went here or there, but jesus said not to believe them, because they give false information.

You don't know anything... Just stop. If you don't like what is being said here and you don't have anything new to say, then just ignore us and leave us in peace. I can tell, the fact that Jesus was more that what you have been toughed, causes you great pain, Please just put me on you ignore list. I will not stop talking about Buddhism and the way it changed my life.

cking
I was trying to defend Jesus. you got to stand up for what is right you know. you can talk about your life and I will not inter fer. but I'm going to say what I believe is right and nobody is going to keep me from doing that. you do the same also.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
One would have imagined that someone with such an important message would have started preaching early though, to as many as possible. And India has always been a reasonably good place to found religions...

This could account for the lost years not included in scripture.

Jesus never left Israel. He was a carpenter and had to help with Joseph and his business. .

Did you even read through that link?

Long before I ever heard about this, I studied the bible. One day I decided to read just the words of Jesus (my bible had red text for what Jesus said). I was having problems with aspects of Church doctrine, having to do with women. I read just the red text, over and over again skipping everything else. I was amazed at what I read; you should try it. What Jesus was saying did not match what the apostles said, and did not sound like Church doctrine.

I did exactly the same thing....started reading the "Red text" only and saw that it contradicted the other texts, especially Pauls...

you know Jesus said, that people would have false teachings of him and his life.

Maybe all this new information is what scripture said "And Knowledge will be increased, and for his true people to leave Babylon...the false church and teachings.

I was trying to defend Jesus. you got to stand up for what is right you know.

defend him by trying to find out the truth about him...first.

Shakyamunison

cking
God told Jesus that he would be rejected by the people and would make plans against him. even the bible says that when Jesus heard what they were saying in their thoughts, he rebuked them even through that haven't said it yet but they were going to. nothing was a surprise to Jesus he knew what people were thinking and how they would react to him. when Judas came to arrest Jesus, the apostles were fighting the temple guards, but Jesus said that all he had to do was pray to god and he would send 12 legions of angels to come save him, but he didn't and he told Jesus to do what he came here to do. Jesus said even at the last supper Jesus said that one of the disciples would betray him. the apostles were arguing on who it would be. Jesus said it would be the one who dipped his bread in his bowl. Judas said, "am I the one?" Jesus said, "yes." Jesus told him to what you came here for. so Judas went to the priests and the priests gave him silver coins to go find him in secret. see, the priests didn't want to arrest Jesus in public and if so they would upset the crowds and it would start a riot against the priests. Another reason is they were jealous of him. Jesus told his disciples that the son of man will suffer in the hands of priests, scribes, and teachers of the law. here are some information about Jesus.

Shakyamunison
Cking

You don't get it. This is the same thing over and over again. You are now on my ignore list. Goodbye!

debbiejo

I always wondered if there was a connection...especially when you only read what Jesus words were alone.....I like this site....just emailed it to all my Christian friends.....now, they'll think I'm ............... eek!

A Heretic again.... sad

Shakyamunison
I always wondered if there was a connection...especially when you only read what Jesus words were alone.....I like this site....just emailed it to all my Christian friends.....now, they'll think I'm ............... eek!

A Heretic again.... sad

Welcome to the club... You know we should have a Heretic forum, but we might all get along too well.

debbiejo
Welcome to the club... You know we should have a Heretic forum, but we might all get along too well.

laughing sad sad sad ......I really am considered a heretic......Some of my family thinks I'm nuts.......and so do most of my friends...when I tell them these things.....

But OK....I'll join the club....You bring some entertainment and I'll bring the munchies......ANYONE else want to come?????

I hear they're serving devils food cake....jump

and beer

Shakyamunison
I hear they're serving devils food cake....

...with a sacrificial knife. evil face

CosmicSurfer

A Heretic again.... sad

I'm glad you like this site. So far it's the most interesting website I found about the unknown possiblities of Jesus's missing years between the ages of 12 to 30.

Just in case you didn't read the FAQ, here it is:

http://www.tombofjesus.com/news/FAQ/

I never knew the silk route to India "would have been a very easy simple procedure that was done regularly."

I thought it would have been difficult and dangerous since it was too far away.

Shakyamunison
I'm glad you like this site. So far it's the most interesting website I found about the unknown possiblities of Jesus's missing years between the ages of 12 to 30.

Just in case you didn't read the FAQ, here it is:

http://www.tombofjesus.com/news/FAQ/

I never knew the silk route to India "would have been a very easy simple procedure that was done regularly."

I thought it would have been difficult and dangerous since it was too far away.

Hi CosmicSurfer

I will read the information from that site latter tonight and then we can talk about it. I'm a little short on time right now. Thanks...

CosmicSurfer

Adam_PoE

CosmicSurfer
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Asoka was a convert to Buddhism. References to the existence of a supreme being in his stupas are attributed to his belief in Hinduism, in which there are many gods.

The Supreme being in Hinduism is Brahman. Brahman has three incarnations-- Brahma(the creater), Vishnu(the preserver), Shiva(the destroyer). Sounds familiar???

debbiejo
Shiva is the blue one......and I'm not prejudice against blue people either.

CosmicSurfer
Shiva is the blue one......and I'm not prejudice against blue people either.

debbiejo, judging by your avatar, are you Indian? If yes, what part of India are you from?

Shakyamunison
debbiejo, judging by your avatar, are you Indian? If yes, what part of India are you from?

That's a good guess... embarrasment

CosmicSurfer
That's a good guess... embarrasment

I don't think it was a stupid question. You don't have to be Indian to have an avatar like that. I was just curious that's all.

Shakyamunison
I don't think it was a stupid question. You don't have to be Indian to have an avatar like that. I was just curious that's all.

I am sorry.

I wasn't saying that it was bad, I thought it was a good guess.

Adam_PoE
The Supreme being in Hinduism is Brahman. Brahman has three incarnations-- Brahma(the creater), Vishnu(the preserver), Shiva(the destroyer). Sounds familiar???

This would reinforce more of a Christian-Hindu connection, than a Christian-Buddhist one.

Shakyamunison
In the Lotus Sutra, Buddha speaks about the "Buddha that was enlightened in the remote past", and that we are all connected to this Buddha (I personally believe that this is God that Buddha was talking about).

CosmicSurfer
This would reinforce more of a Christian-Hindu connection, than a Christian-Buddhist one.

The point I'm making was that Asoka's God was named Is' ana. And he's buddhist. The Hindu supreme God is Brahman. So maybe Buddhism did have a belief in a Supreme being.

Adam_PoE
The point I'm making was that Asoka's God was named Is' ana. And he's buddhist. The Hindu supreme God is Brahman. So maybe Buddhism did have a belief in a Supreme being.

My point is that Asoka developed the concept of Is'ana to reconcile the Hindu belief in a god or gods with Buddhist philosophy. The Indian Upanishads developed the concept of Brahman, equating the existence of a supreme being to an abstract principle of goodness, for similar reasons. Neither concept however, was taught by the Buddha.

debbiejo

No, I'm not from India, though I have some Cherokee and Italian in me...It's in my bio....I just love that picture.....I've posted the whole pic before.........she just looks like she's dreamin.....and I'm a dreamer....thought it was perfect for me....She looks so peacful...when I'm on my other pc....I'll post the whole pic again....it's not on this one..

I live in the US....

debbiejo

OK...here's the whole pic....doesn't she look peaceful?...Lost in her dreams and thoughts.......My daughter thinks I used to look like her......now who's dreamin... laughing out loud

CosmicSurfer
My point is that Asoka developed the concept of Is'ana to reconcile the Hindu belief in a god or gods with Buddhist philosophy. The Indian Upanishads developed the concept of Brahman, equating the existence of a supreme being to an abstract principle of goodness, for similar reasons. Neither concept however, was taught by the Buddha.

That's a good theory. I can buy that.

mr.smiley

No,Buddha stricly taught that their are many Gods,but none are supreame.Did it come from Tibetan Buddhism,because they are crazy like that.

cking
there are too many Buddhist sect to count anyway.

Shakyamunison
"The Buddhas through the power of expedient means
make distinctions and preach three vehicles,
but there is only the single Buddha vehicle--
the other two nirvanas are preached to provide a resting place.
Now I expound the truth for you-
what you have attained is not extinction.
For the sake of the comprehensive wisdom of the Buddha
you must expend great effort and diligence.
If you gain enlightenment in the Law of the Buddha
with its comprehensive wisdom and ten powers
and are endowed with the thirty-two features,
then this will be true extinction.
The Buddhas in their capacity as leaders
preach nirvana to provide a rest.
But when they know you have become rested,
they lead you onward to the Buddha wisdom."
(The Lotus Sutra 142)

"but there is only the single Buddha vehicle"

I understand that this one vehicle to be God.

Adam_PoE
No,Buddha stricly taught that their are many Gods,but none are supreame.Did it come from Tibetan Buddhism,because they are crazy like that.

Buddhism is unique amongst the belief systems of the world because it does not have any place for god or gods in its soteriology.

Indeed, the very notion of a god or gods conflicts with some principles which are fundamental to the Buddhist view of the world and the role of humans in it.

The concept of a god or gods does not appear in the teachings of Buddha.

Certain sects of Buddhism however, speak of the existence of category of cosmological beings called "devas" which is sometimes translated as "gods." The term "deva" literally means "shining or radiant being," which describes their physical appearance, rather than any supernatural powers, as the translation "gods" seems to imply.

there are too many Buddhist sect to count anyway.

As opposed to the over 1,500 denominations, para-church organizations, and other groups in the U.S. who consider themselves to be Christian.

Shakyamunison
The concept of a god or gods does not appear in the teachings of Buddha.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. The word God is never use, but did you read what I wrote above. There are other places the also speak of the Buddha that was enlightened in the remote past.

Adam_PoE
I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. The word God is never use, but did you read what I wrote above. There are other places the also speak of the Buddha that was enlightened in the remote past.

"The Buddhas through the power of expedient means make distinctions and preach three vehicles, but there is only the single Buddha vehicle - the other two nirvanas are preached to provide a resting place."

This is a reference to the three main Buddhist traditions:

Shravakayana - "the lesser vehicle"

Mahayana - "the greater vehicle"

Vajrayana - "the diamond vehicle"

Shakyamunison

CosmicSurfer
"The Buddhas through the power of expedient means make distinctions and preach three vehicles, but there is only the single Buddha vehicle - the other two nirvanas are preached to provide a resting place."

This is a reference to the three main Buddhist traditions:

Shravakayana - "the lesser vehicle"

Mahayana - "the greater vehicle"

Vajrayana - "the diamond vehicle"

You left out Theravada Buddhism. This is as orthodox as Buddhism gets. They're beilefs and teachings are closer to Buddha than perhaps all the other sects.

Adam_PoE

CosmicSurfer
In this website, a self proclaimed prophet named Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad who is also the founder of the Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam refutes Nicolas Notovitch by writing that Jesus came to India not during his missing years, but after it and that he didn't learn from the Buddhists but the followers of Buddha themselves who seem to have reproduced the entire picture of the Gospels in their books from Jesus teaching them.

Also in this article:

According to Hazrat Ahmad Jesus also visited Tibet during his travels in India in search of the lost tribes of Israel. He preached his messages to Buddhistic monks, some of whom were converted Jews. The followers of Buddha were deeply impressed by his teachings and took him to be the manifestation of Buddha and their Promised Teacher. With faith in him as their Master, they mixed his teachings with their own records and ascribed it all to the Buddha. Ample evidence in support of this is furnished from ancient Buddhistic records.

Take a look and read throught it:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/1340/jesus_in_india.htm

Shakyamunison

debbiejo
Chorus
I'm searching for the spirit of the great heart
To hold and stand me by
I'm searchin' for the spirit of the great heart
Under African sky
I see the fire in your eyes
That beats my name inside
sometimes I feel that you really know me
Sometimes there's so much you can show me

Jimmy Buffet

ARENT' WE SEARCHING FOR THE SAME THING......

Adam_PoE
I believe the remote past was long before 490-410 BCE, try 15 billion years ago at the time of the big bang.

Would you consider 262 BCE to be the remote past? That is approximately 1,743 years. This is the same amount of time that transpired between the time Siddhattha Gotama founded Buddhism, and the Nicheren sect of Buddhism was established.

Shakyamunison
Would you consider 262 BCE to be the remote past? That is approximately 1,743 years. This is the same amount of time that transpired between the time Siddhattha Gotama founded Buddhism, and the Nicheren sect of Buddhism was established.

Let me look it up. It will have to be tomorrow, ok?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.