They overshot Obi-wan's age

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PadmeKenobi
Hi! Newcomer big grin Sorry if this has already been posted, but it's been bugging me for a while now, and I'm not apart of any Star Wars message boards, so I couldn't wait to post this.

They completely overshot Obi-wan's age. Okay, in The Phantom Menace he is 25, right? Then ten years later makes him 35 in Attack of the Clones. Up until then it works, but since it is only three years later that means he's only 38 in Revenge of the Sith, when they were clearly making him look as though he were in his mid-40's, early 50's. Then you add the 18 years between Revenge of the Sith and A Hew Hope and it makes him only 56. Alec Guinness was in his 70's or 80's at that time, so they obviously were making Obi-wan out to be this old guy in A New Hope. So by making him so young in the originals, his age doesn't fit with his appearance, or even the story. I know, I probably seem a little nit-picky but it's been bothering me for a while.

General Zodiac
Who cares?

DeVi| D0do
You're worried about that when in Episode II Anakin has aged ten years but Padme hasn't aged at all?

((The_Anomaly))
meh, it still works out...lol

PadmeKenobi
How would you age Padme? She went from 14 to 24, I wouldn't even know how to make her look older. Besides, if you look at Natalie Portman when she was 14, and look at her now, she doesn't look much different. She might be a little taller, but that's about it.

DeVi| D0do
I think she looks quite a bit different actually... She looked older than 14 in Episode I.

Anyway, it's not something I really care about....

PadmeKenobi
She was 18 for The Phantom Menace and 21 for Attack of the Clones.

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by PadmeKenobi
Hi! Newcomer big grin Sorry if this has already been posted, but it's been bugging me for a while now, and I'm not apart of any Star Wars message boards, so I couldn't wait to post this.

They completely overshot Obi-wan's age. Okay, in The Phantom Menace he is 25, right? Then ten years later makes him 35 in Attack of the Clones. Up until then it works, but since it is only three years later that means he's only 38 in Revenge of the Sith, when they were clearly making him look as though he were in his mid-40's, early 50's. Then you add the 18 years between Revenge of the Sith and A Hew Hope and it makes him only 56. Alec Guinness was in his 70's or 80's at that time, so they obviously were making Obi-wan out to be this old guy in A New Hope. So by making him so young in the originals, his age doesn't fit with his appearance, or even the story. I know, I probably seem a little nit-picky but it's been bothering me for a while.

That point is moot.

They never told Obi-Wans age in the Original Trilogy. The actors age has nothing to do with his characters age.

PadmeKenobi
I still say his age doesn't match his appearance. He obviously looked older the 56. And actually, come to think of it. It was mentioned that Vader was in his 50's in the originals, and Obi-wan is 16 years older then Anakin, which would put Obi-wan in his late 60's, early 70's in A New Hope, which is wrong.

Sith-Nerd
again.......a stupid thread

obi_wans_beard
Sir Alec celebrated his 62nd birthday during a New Hope, the aging was pretty much spot on.

DiamondBullets
Originally posted by obi_wans_beard
Sir Alec celebrated his 62nd birthday during a New Hope, the aging was pretty much spot on.

Exactly. I don't think he was "over-shot", I think the biker beard and the WW2 pilot's hair fit him. He looked pretty dope IMO.

Not only did they use Natalie in all 3 movies, they used Sam Jackson---why don't u question that?

OB1-adobe

Guinness might have been 70, but he did not look 70. He did look around late 50's early sixties. He actually looks like my dad who is 57.

OB1-adobe
It was mentioned that Vader was in his 50's in the originals

Where did you get that info? And if you say a book, then you are going to get ***** slapped by a lot of people here for being a noob.

AmrothSkywalker
If you watch the behind the scenes stuff for Ep III on SW.com LUCAS says hes only in his forties almost fifty he just looks like he wicked old cuz he has no hair and is wicked white. He's not even thirty in Ep III.

Eleonora
She was 18 for The Phantom Menace and 21 for Attack of the Clones.

Nope, she filmed TPM when she was 16.

Seriously, I don't see the point of this thread, I think there is perfect continuity in the character of Obi-Wan.

BTW I think the distance between the trilogies is 20 years.

Ushgarak
Yup, this is just down to the myth that Alec Guiness was in his 70s or 80s. As pointed out, he was 62, hence only a few years from Obi-Wan's real age.

PadmeKenobi
Actually, I just talked to a friend about this and what we came up with seemed to make since. Actually we're both wrong, Lucas himself said Luke and Leia were 19. But anyway, we thought that Obi-wan only looked older because of everything that he has been through. He watched his master die, his padawan turned to the dark side, he watched him pledge his alegence to the emperor, we watched him kill padawans. Not to mention that he fought for 3 years during the Clone Wars. All of that has just been baring down on him, and it shows in his apprence. She (my friend) also told me Alec's age so that made me realize all this.

And, I don't apprechiate you guys coming in here and telling me that this thread is pointless. You are basically telling me that me and my thoughts are pointless and that's considered harassment. I'm not going to report you because jerks online are obviously jerks offline, but I don't think it's very polite to tell me my opinions or thoughts are pointless. I have never done anything to you, I don't even know you. I hope you aren't this hostile toward all the people you first meet, or you must be a very lonly person. If you think a thread is pointless, then why in the world are you posting on it? You think I'm wasting your time, then you're just doing that yourself by taking the time to post something. It would just be easier for both of us if you didn't bother.

Oh, and the thing about Anakin being over 50... I don't remember where I got that. I think I read it, but then again I may have heard it somewhere. I could have missread it, but I don't know.

DeVi| D0do
He looks fine for the age he's supposed to be...

PadmeKenobi
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
He looks fine for the age he's supposed to be...

No matter what you say, you're not going to get me to change my mind about this. Besides, I know few 38 year olds who have the amount of grey hair Obi-wan did in Revenge of the Sith.

ShadowKing
My friend started going prematurely grey at 26 (poor guy)....

...and don't be too sensitive in here PadmeKenobi, some people smell fear on a noob and their claws come out...believe me, there've been a lot of flame wars over questions that some people thought were stupid...
just have to give as good as you get and try to keep your facts straight

p. skywalker
The man (Obi ) like you said has been through alot.. not to mention like 20 yrs of solitude.. And I don't know what guys you know but he did not look mid 40' in III .. and I am sure Ewan would be very bummed to hear ya think that .. he looked mid 30's... It's amazing waht a little facial hair and a hair cut does to a person.. GL did great ..

And as far as pepole on this thread or forum go , calling them Jerks is just as bad.. they are alot of crappy points brought here.. and i mean alot.. honestly the bestthing to do is put the sensitiveness in our pocket and suck it up..

Red Superfly
The age thing is very odd.

Sebastian Shaw looks fifty going on sixty in ROTJ. Throw on a couple of decades for Obi-Wan.

Remember, Obi-Wan, as stated by Lucas, was an old man of seventy/eighty. If you remember Obi-Wan was the one who was going to die of old age in the final chapter and leave Luke on his own. Because Lucas didn't know if he'd get a green light for a sequel, he killed off Obi-Wan in Ep IV. The mentor dying of old age idea was given to Yoda which he invented after Ep IV. The main point I'm making is that Obi-Wan would have been close to natural-death-age in Epsiode IV, so it doesn't add up.

In Episode III, being twenty years earlier, that would mean Anakin would look late-twenties, early thirties and Obi-Wan would look fifty. But they don't. Obi seems to age fourty years in the space of twenty.Like I said, odd.

Nitpicky? Yes, but they really shoulda nailed this one.

obi_wans_beard
.............Ep1 Ep2 Ep3 Ep4 Ep5 Ep6

Obi Wan 25 35 38 57 n/a n/a

Anakin 9 19 22 42 ? 45

Ewan 26 29 32 n/a n/a n/a

Sir Alec n/a n/a n/a 62 65 68

Jake 8 n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a

Hayden n/a 19 22 n/a n/a 22

I think these are right? The age of the actors would be the time of filming, not the release of the film.

EDIT: Sorry the message keeps unalligning the table mad

p. skywalker
honestly .. I say just enjoy the damn movie and get over it

Ushgarak
"Remember, Obi-Wan, as stated by Lucas, was an old man of seventy/eighty. If you remember Obi-Wan was the one who was going to die of old age in the final chapter and leave Luke on his own. Because Lucas didn't know if he'd get a green light for a sequel, he killed off Obi-Wan in Ep IV. The mentor dying of old age idea was given to Yoda which he invented after Ep IV. The main point I'm making is that Obi-Wan would have been close to natural-death-age in Epsiode IV, so it doesn't add up."

But that doesn't apply any more- GL ret-conned it from TPM onwards so Obi-Wan was always younger.

Red Superfly
Yeah I know, just saying.

Damn GL and his ret-conning.

Captain REX
Beard, you're thing is a little off. It says it has seven episodes... stick out tongue

In any case, Obi-Wan's aging looked spot on to me!

Anakin's was fine too. 9 at TPM, 19 at AOTC, 22 at ROTS, 41-42 at ANH, and then about 45 at ROTJ.

Ast Rofan
Not to mention, the guy fought in a 3 year war, a lived the last 20 years of his life in a desert doing nothing. Those things had to take their toll.

Captain REX
Indeed. The Jedi had no rest during the war.

obi_wans_beard
Originally posted by Captain REX
Beard, you're thing is a little off. It says it has seven episodes... stick out tongue

In any case, Obi-Wan's aging looked spot on to me!

Anakin's was fine too. 9 at TPM, 19 at AOTC, 22 at ROTS, 41-42 at ANH, and then about 45 at ROTJ.

Does it? embarrasment where? I can't see.

Bespin Bart
Rex is delirious, ignore him. stick out tongue

Captain REX
Quiet you... stick out tongue

Dresta
i don't think this thread is stupid and pointless whoever said that.

Captain REX
I don't either. Members are too drastic in here...

PadmeKenobi
Originally posted by Red Superfly
The age thing is very odd.

Sebastian Shaw looks fifty going on sixty in ROTJ. Throw on a couple of decades for Obi-Wan.

Actually, Sebastian Shaw was 78 when he did Return of the Jedi, he may have not looked that old, but that was his age.

Dresta
that old

Captain REX
Wow, he was a bit ancient. It worked though; Vader did survive being burned alive, after all.

DiamondBullets
Actually, Sebastian Shaw was 78 when he did Return of the Jedi, he may have not looked that old, but that was his age.

Nigga please, the CHARACTAR'S age is all that matters. Not the actor's.

Captain REX
Character's age, but close enough. stick out tongue

PadmeKenobi
I know that! Sheesh... I only mentioned it because someone said Sebastian looked to be in his 50's or 60's. That post was just correcting someone, it didn't really have much to do with the topic.

SithHappens
It doesn't matter to me atleast.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.