"King Kong" Hits DVD & Theatres the SAME DAY?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
My girlfriend caught on the news that PJ has decided to make "King Kong" available on DVD, rental, AND in theatres ALL ON THE SAME DAY? At first I thought it was a hoax, then she claimed it's because of slumping theatre attendance and piracy issues.

So, all you theatre hoppers and movie pirates see what you're doing to the film industry now, don't you?

Thanks a whole ****in' lot. thumb up

Smasandian
That sounds like a stupid idea.

Cinemaddiction
I don't think he has anything to lose. he probably stands to lose more should he WAIT on the DVD.

WindDancer
Prolly there won't be any extra features on the DVD. I'll wait for the Special Edition months later. I'll go see the movie in theaters first.

Erazmus
Do you have a source to support this, anywhere on the web, news channel website? I find this hard to believe. And since something like this has never happened in the history of cinema (that I am aware of), this would be pretty big news and I would imagine would pop up somewhere on the net. I'll do some searches and see what I find. Until then...sounds like a hoax to me.

Myth
They should just make the DVD release sooner if thats the fear, but not the same day. Maybe 2 months after, or 1 month minimum.

Darth Nauj
are you sure this is official??

Erazmus
I still haven't found anything online to support this claim. If it were true, you'd think they'd have some mention of it on Kongisking.net website. But I couldn't find anything. Not only that, but releasing a movie early on DvD doesn't sound like a director's decision to me. I think a decision like that would fall on the production company, in this case, Universal (I believe).

Until I see something documented by a credible source, this will remain rumor/hoax in my book.

big grin

dawsey28
I'm sorry but...

I just don't buy this "piracy is killing the movie industry" stuff. The quality of pirated films isn't that phenomenal and you don't get the full surround sound/theater experience. People usually acquire movies that they either have seen already, will see when it actually hits theaters, or would see if they could actually afford the ticket price. The industry just wants someone else to blame when they're doing it to themselves.

Could it be that people don't want to see another King Kong movie? I know I don't.

Not saying that I condone piracy or that I download movies myself, but...

... if I did DL this movie, then they would have lost no money. Why? Because I would have never went to the theatre to watch this movie, rented it, or bought the DVD anyway.

Sure maybe piracy is partially to blame, but I find it kind of funny that this movie is going to be released on DVD and in theatres at the same time when other movies that probably have more people downloading them are not doing that.

That is if this is official.

Lord_Andres
But thats just you daw, I know there are tons of people that just sit their fat asses all day long downloading, and then giving the shit to everybody they know and those people give the shit to someone else until the whole ****in city has it, or at least a part of it, trust me I know, and you ask your buddy, Hey cant wait for the movie to hit theaters, and also the DVD, guy says ''hehe Bob has proboboly already downlaoded it, so i'm good, infact he got this whole 50 cd holder full of downlaoded movies that he's been takin down the last month' and thats how it gose, the guy says 'oh then could you take them over after your done with them?' oh sure no problem' sad but the ugly truth

Erazmus
Regarding piracy,

I too don't think the industry is hurting as they lead everyone to believe. Movies are still making records in ticket sales and in profitability. Why is it out of the 20 highest profitable movies, 15 of them came from the last 11 years and 11 of those were in the past 5 years.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.html

These are the highest profited movies of ALL time. I have never downloaded a movie, but I know people who do and they go to the movies regularly. A lot of times the movies they had downloaded are the reason they go to the theatre and see it. Quite frankly, I don't see as many movies in the theatre as I used to. Far too often the movie is shit and I feel like I wasted my money and time. I am of the opinion that I'm not the only one that feels that way. I'm tired of shelling out 8 to 12 bucks to see a movie that I'm not sure I'll like. It's ridiculous.

I don't think it's the money that is concerning the movie industry. I think they are more concerned about people seeing the movie via downloading it, before it is even released in theatres. This does happen quite frequently. The one I can name off the top of my head is the Matrix. Two weeks before it was in theatres it was online for download. The industry doesn't talk about that though, why? Because a movie being released like that is pretty much their fault. They should have better security measures on these things. There is never an excuse for something like that to occur, and it's not something they can blame on the community. Now, saying the piracy is affecting their bottom-line makes for a better argument. But looking at those numbers from the website, doesn't look like their bottom line is really affected all that much. At least, not to me.

All that said, I probably will see Kong simply because Jackson has really impressed me with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I'd be willing to give that movie a blind ticket purchase. But that is rare in my case.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
My girlfriend caught on the news that PJ has decided to make "King Kong" available on DVD, rental, AND in theatres ALL ON THE SAME DAY? At first I thought it was a hoax, then she claimed it's because of slumping theatre attendance and piracy issues.

So, all you theatre hoppers and movie pirates see what you're doing to the film industry now, don't you?

Sounds like a foolish idea to me "if" it were true.

Anytime a DVD is released some stock boy in your local Walmart or other store may get their hands on it before the customers and then deliver it to your basic ___ programs. Having that happen to Kong would be even worse than having the film pirated in the standard practive of video taping it in theatres because the quality of a DVD as we all know is far superior. In short, having millions of people watch a DVD quality bootleg of King Kong before its release is far more damaging than having the movie pirated the "average" way.

Smasandian
Also, I think he would lose lots of money from people renting the movies instead of going to the theatre's to see it.

Thats exactly what Im going to do if this is true.

DeVi| D0do
I really doubt the validity of this claim... and INCREDIBLY stupid idea in which Jackson and Universal would lose A LOT of money.

Cinemaddiction
I've got mail into a couple of sources regarding the validity. Hope someone can back me up.

Erazmus
I posted about this on the KongIsKing forum, and someone there had a possible solution and it 'kind' of goes with what you're saying Cinemaddiction. He was thinking they are going to release the original Kong on DvD around the same time as the new one hits theatres in December. I'll start looking around for a link to support this. But this makes you partially right. wink

smile

*EDIT* Yup, here it is. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=199204

ragesRemorse
come on now, even with piracy, Jackson and the studio's would stand to lose a great deal of money, unless Kong is busted down to a small release rather than a wide release.

Cinemaddiction
Well, I've known about the 1933 "King Kong" being released on DVD for Christmas, but the newscast made it sound as if it was for Universal's "King Kong" remake. I'm still looking for something to support it. Universal's website is shit, and nobodies returned my mails.

ApolloX
Thats retarded. Now it wont make any money in theatres.

MildPossession
Isn't there some legal issues about when dvds can be released after been in the cinema? I find it hard to believe dvd and cinema release will come on the same day.

BlackC@t
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction

Well it's not like I told PJ to do that sly

bakerboy
I dont think that this is true. Jackson wont be so stupid to rest money opening the dvd the same day that the realease in cinemas. It would be stupid and absurd.

bilb
Ok so PJ's version hits teh screens the same day as the 33 flick comes out on video... Where is the conflict?? blink

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by bilb
Ok so PJ's version hits teh screens the same day as the 33 flick comes out on video... Where is the conflict?? blink

There is no conflict regarding that, some believed King Kong (2005) was going to be released on DVD the same day as its scheduled theatre release and thats where the potential conflict was.

bilb
aha!! ok then smile

Zilverz
the new King Kong is going to make so much money anyway that it is rediculous. TONS of people WILL see it in theaters REGUARDLESS if the DVD is released same day. If this turns out to be True, I commend them for experimenting with the market and giving people MORE options.

Smasandian
It looks kinda of stupid to me.

That trailer showed way too much, and also looked like a CGI whorefest.

Moral Fiber
hopw dumb

bilb
Originally posted by Smasandian
It looks kinda of stupid to me.

That trailer showed way too much, and also looked like a CGI whorefest.

confused

Smasandian
Meaning

The whole movie is about King Kong, and they show off King Kong in the trailer, ruining any sort of surpraise on what King Kong look likes. Considering the whole point of the movie is King Kong, why would you show it in a trailer?

The whole movie looks like CGI. Everything.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.