Sith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darth-yoda
i know that sith get there names from there traits but can sum 1 please tell me were alll them came form and if you could make any SW universe character be dark what would you call them even non force sesitves like jango he stll counts just pretend that he is force sensiyive

Nactous
Dont have an answer for yeah, sorry.

Tulak Hord
As far as I know, the very first sith were Outcast Jedi who fled to Korriban. Originally, the Sith were a red-skinned species native to Korriban, but the Outcast Jedi started breeding with them, and the Jedi also "awed" the Sith with their force powers, and they begun to call themselves the Dark Lords of the Sith. Then the Sith species went extinct, and suddenly the Sith became a religion as we now know it.

darth-yoda
no i mean were did the sith get there names from

Tulak Hord
Their parents?

((The_Anomaly))
thier masters i suppose....

the sith tales are very scattery and full of weird twist and turns with first Sith species, then all that, leading to the actual Sith order, which eventually killed itself (with the help of the jedi) eventually leading to the rule of 2...

its very difficult to say where the names came from. other then with the rule of 2, that the masters gave it to them.

Tulak Hord
Good point. Revan and Malak kept their names, didn't they? Just added Darth?

Captain REX
Usually comes from the Master of whomever the Sith Lord is.

Not all Sith Lords had the name 'Darth' either.

Tulak Hord
I know this. But I dunno who started it, because supposedly bane did, but he comes after Revan and malak, right? Exar Kun was the last to not use Darth.

exanda kane
But wasn't it Bane who decided that the Sith should now operate in secrecy - he may have decided that Sith should be given a new title to go after 'Darth' like Tyranus or Sidious. I dont know if there were other Sith lords before Bane that used different names when they becaome a Sith Lord - of course Revan and Malak used there original names and so forth . . .

Captain REX
Well, from what I can find, Revan and Malak were the first to even use the term as their titles, for whatever reason.

The Sith Empire did not use it; Exar Kun did not use it.

Tulak Hord
I guess then Revan and Malak began the "Darth" thing. And I guess Vader and Bane and Sidious and all that stuff is devried from different words. Vader = Father. Sidious is probably the word Insidious, meaning deceitful and that. Bane, well, I dunno. Plaegius (SP) sounds like Plague.

Captain REX
Oh, most of the infamous Darths we know of, their names usually derive from a word.

Darth Bane: A bane is something that causes pain or betrayal. Bane betrayed the rest of the Sith Lords on Ruusan in order to preserve the Sith for the future.

Darth Sidious: Insidious means scheming and plotting. Sidious does plenty of that, as we can tell.

Darth Maul: To maul is to basically smash something into a pulp or rip it to shreds, usually the latter. Maul seems quite capable of shreddage.

Darth Vader: Palpatine knew of Anakin's worry for Padme and his future child, so named his Vader, which is close to the German word for 'father.'

Darth Tyranus: Dooku was a tyrant!

Darth Plagueis: A plague is a very harmful thing that wipes out hundreds to thousands of people, like the Black Plague. Fits a Sith Lord.

As for Revan and Malak, Revan seems like 'Raven' which was considered to be a cursed, evil bird, like the crow, but I am clueless to Malak.

Nai Fohl
Originally posted by darth-yoda
no i mean were did the sith get there names from

The get their names from their masters or choose their names for themselves (can be also done).

For the names origins:

The term "Darth" might just come from "Dark Lord of the Sith" but also seems familar with "dark".

Individual names:
Traya - obviously "betrayal"
Sion - could come from "scion" meaning heir
Nihilus - latin "nihil" meaning "nothing"
Plagueis - obviously Plague
Sidious - most likely from "insidious" meaning "treacherous", "seductive" and "subtle"
Maul - actualy "Maul" is a german word meaning "mouth" (of an animal)...in terms of language history this can also just mean "evil" (Middle English malle, from Old French mail, from Latin malleus)
Tyranus - the name comes from "tyrant" or "tyrannous"; mention that "Dooku" possibly comes from the japanese word "Doku" meaning "poison".
Vader - most likely "invader"

Captain REX
I've never heard of Traya and Sion, or Nihilus, only on SuperShadow. messed

You're explanation of Sidious is good, and I like the Dooku tidbit, but you're overanalyizing Maul and Vader. wink

Nactous
Oh, thats what you wanted to know. Let me fill in some parts Tulak. Two Republic citizens found themselves on Korriban while Naga Sadow and Ludo Kresh were fighting to determine the next Sith leader after the death of Marko Ragnos. The two Republic citizens are captured, and to make a long story short. One escapes, while the other stays and learns dark side teaching. The one that escapes, but only to find that she is being tracked by Naga Sadow. Which leads an attack on the Republic, escalating in the Great Hyperspace War.

Tulak Hord
Yay Nac is on!

Nactous
Originally posted by Captain REX
I've never heard of Traya and Sion, or Nihilus, only on SuperShadow. messed

You're explanation of Sidious is good, and I like the Dooku tidbit, but you're overanalyizing Maul and Vader. wink

Then you havent played KotOR 2 then. Traya being Kriea, Nihilus, the white masked character, poster boy, and Sion, the lord of pain. Come on Rex, get with it man.

MAKASHIMAN
Darth bane wanted all the future sith to have the surname "Darth" didn't he?

MAKASHIMAN
A symbol of the new age sith

Tangible God
Wasn't the whole Darth Bane story, his code, his tradition of the term Darth, created before the KOTOR storyline was develpoed?

darth-yoda
did koor 2 break the rule of 2 i mean there were 4 sith lords and 3 at 1 time im sure thats more than 2

Fishy
The rule of two wasn't around at that time.

darth-yoda
ohh ok sorry
iv just thought of this when reading the is malak human thread
in the flash back were revan finds the star map he has his robes but didnt he have them created y the star forge

Nactous
No, Revan already had his robes, but the Star Forge could make doubles.

Tulak Hord
I thought Darth Bane created the Rule of Two after the battle of Ruusan. Correct me if I am mistaken.

JLRTENJAC
Yoda would be DARTH ZAYER.

darth-yoda
what is the sith of clone wars season one calle dthe one who anakin kills

Nactous
Assjar Ventress.

Nactous
Sorry if its mis spelled.

beedubaya
I doubt Revan and Malak were the first to use "Darth"....we don't know the history of the Sith between the times of Exar Kun and Revan. I think KOTOR 3, instead of continuing after the death of Traya in KOTOR2, should take place during the Great Sith War and the reign of Exar Kun, and explain some of the history being discussed here.

Darth Jello
as far as I know, the schism that led to the creation of the brotherhood of the sith was started by a Jedi named Darth Xendor. after that, many sith, including Darth Revan began using the Darth title. Darth Bane officially codified a sith name as an alias provided by the force preceeded by the title, darth.

Nactous
Originally posted by beedubaya
I doubt Revan and Malak were the first to use "Darth"....we don't know the history of the Sith between the times of Exar Kun and Revan. I think KOTOR 3, instead of continuing after the death of Traya in KOTOR2, should take place during the Great Sith War and the reign of Exar Kun, and explain some of the history being discussed here.

HMM.... A KotOR prequel. Doubt it would be called KotOR 3 thouh. See, heres how I see it, the movies revolve around Vader, were the KotOR series(and soon to become a trilogy *crosses finger*) revolve around Revan. Even though you dont play him in KotOR2, he's still the main focus.

darth-yoda
yes if they made a stroy of the anichint sith taht would be a perfet name star wars the anchinet sith SW TAS it has a ring to it each one could follow a sith ragnos kun pall hord ect

Illustrious
yes if they made a stroy of the anichint sith taht would be a perfet name star wars the anchinet sith SW TAS it has a ring to it each one could follow a sith ragnos kun pall hord ect

Maybe if you could spell "story" or "ancient". You do realize that Pall was a long ways before Ragnos, who was a long way before Kun, and we have no clue when Hord is besides basic speculation (we know he was before Kun and Revan, and he had a "lightsaber"wink.

To do the Ancient Sith would require a lot more than one story.

darth-yoda
the only reason i am speelin like that is i havent slept all night and i was typn fast

Darth Koroni
what is the sith of clone wars season one calle dthe one who anakin kills

Assajj Ventress, and she was not a Sith, she was a Dark Jedi, there is a difference.

darth-yoda
ok thanks i no there is a difference

Nai Fohl
Originally posted by Darth Jello
as far as I know, the schism that led to the creation of the brotherhood of the sith was started by a Jedi named Darth Xendor. after that, many sith, including Darth Revan began using the Darth title. Darth Bane officially codified a sith name as an alias provided by the force preceeded by the title, darth.

The name of the guy that started the schism was just "Xendor". Actualy there is no real information given in the EU where that "Darth" comes from. For me personaly the most logical explanation would be that it is a short form for "Dark Lord of the Sith"

Well...the problem here is that the "Sith" were not mentioned in the OT. In the beginning of Star Wars "Darth" was just a part of Vaders name (since the Emperor doesn't use his title "Darth Sidious" in the OT - and most of the people in the movies call Vader "Lord Vader" or just "Vader" and not "Darth"wink. The Sith basicaly were invented in the early 90s or (exactly) 1994 with Andersons Jedi Academy trilogy and the background story for Exar Kun.

That's why the name "Darth" didn't appear before the PT because Lucas himself was the first person to use it for other people than Vader himself (Sidious, Maul) were all EU stuff written before the PT never mentioned that "Darth" as a title.

So Revan and Malak (in the EU timeline) are the first persons who used the title "Darth" and well...Revan and Malak could be also Sith names they had chosen since all people (except the Sith Lords and the people from Yodas species) have a first name and a family name.

Darth Koroni
Actually, in the early drafts of Star Wars, the 'Jedi Bundai' (Or something like that.) fought the Sith Warriors.

Nactous
Originally posted by Darth Koroni
Assajj Ventress, and she was not a Sith, she was a Dark Jedi, there is a difference.

Oh, my bad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.