The CMPAA: Commercials in Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
I was just made aware of what I personally consider to be a force to be reckoned with in the future, the Captive Motion Picture Audience of America. The moniker may seem a little extreme, but it is true. Movie goers are virtually held captive, when going to the theatres to view the newest films, and forced to sit through invasive commericals hocking everything from cars and cellphones to soda.

No more, man. After browsing the site a little bit, I came across this INGENIUS little "place holder" that anyone can use at the theatre, which will keep your place, and make a statement at the same time. It's attatched to this post.

The full size version is available on the website above. So, if you guys are like me, tired of paying already too high prices to see movies AND commercials, take a stand.

Dr. Strangelove
Commercials are the #1 reason why I don't see very many movies in the theater anymore. I can take three to four commercials but now it has gotten completely out of hand. I counted 13 commercials that were played when I saw Episode 3...ridiculous. Counting the commercials with the previews, it probably took 30 to 45 minutes before the movie finally started.

I'm glad to see people are finally complaining about this.

forumcrew
ive heard in some places they have to say what time commercials start and what time the movie starts. Product placement in movies is getting bad too. If it isnt obvious or if they dont go out of the way to show it, I dont mind. But when the camera moves abit to center a pepsi billboard in the shot.. i instantly am taken out of the movie and back into reality and it pisses me off.

Ast Rofan
I wouldnt have a problem with the ads if they werent so migrane(sp) inducing. They are so f'n stupid it is ridiculous, they are specificly designed for the theaters, they start as what appears to be a trailer to a terrible movie, and then halfway through the 3 minute ad, you realise they are promoting Best Buy or something.

Cinemaddiction
When they first started debuting, I saw it as a grace period, incase I wasn't there as soon as the movie started. Now, it's just ****ing annoying. I think I caught 5 before "Fantastic Four" this past Friday. That is in addition to the obligatory Fandango spot, the "Dolby Digital" Curious George commercial, the typical 3 trailers, the specialized theatre plug, then THREE MORE TRAILERS. In all, close to 10-15 minutes of something OTHER than the movie I'm there to see.

tabby999
yeah, i either show up a little late or talk with whoever i go with. most of the time they have in the paper when the MOVIE starts, not the commercials. and cos i know the projectionist, if i ask he sometimes dosn't play anything BUT the movie, no adds, no "Piracy is a OFFENCE" things, just the flick. and for a 6 pack he lets us in to see movies before they're out to the public, we can bring bean bags and heaps of grog, i love it

Cinemaddiction
I think it's hilarious that they show the "Piracy is Bad" commercials at a theatre where people have paid to see a film. Jon Favreau mentioned that on IFC's "Dinner for 5" one night.

SlipknoT
Yea they're annoying

tabby999
then again it depends on the movie i go to watch, when i went to see Saw the movie trailers were really good because they show trailers for other horror movies, whereas when i go to see most movies its 20 minutes of shit feelgood movies i'm never gonna watch

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.