Losing Her touch?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tptmanno1
At the expence of sounding very dorky, and like a Harry Potter Newbie... Mainly owing to the fact I haven't posted here before, I'd like to ask,

Does anyone else think that Rowling is losing her touch? That the popularity is going to her head and that the books are laking?
I do,
I found Half Blood Prince, to be, not only predictible but dull, and dare I say it, boring...
There wasn't the attachment, I couldn't care less about Harry and Ginny, It just was kinda thrown in there, and then torn apart. She didn't develop that at all. It was just there...

It was amazingly predictable, I could tell that Dumbledore was going to die even before I read the first page.

I felt an amazing dis-connection to the characters. They seemed two dementional and the interaction was flat.

The final fight scene seemed thrown together, and without a real purpose. The Death Eaters attacked Hogwarts... Ok so what?

How the Death Eaters got in felt really out of place, even though it was foreshadowed...

Malfoy's sudden Super-evil ness and such...

The list goes on...

Opinions?

KKdave
I agree on some points. I do think that some characters were not as well written as they were in the past. I felt really disconnected from Hermione, who is usually my favorite character, but in this book she fell flat, seemed cold and not the same as she had been in past books. And i didnt feel that the harry/ginny was important. I obviously just want their relationship to fail, but I felt like she wrote Ginny as trying to replace Hermione, which made me angry and I don't think worked at all or came off right. Besides those points I still think she's great, my favorite writer.

Tptmanno1
I still Like Orson Scott Card Better.
Rowling should read some of his and learn how to do character development/interaction

Saberstylemasta
I don't really agree.

Remember that everything that Jk writes, is normally used again. There will be more to Harry and ginny in the next book. and I really don't feel that the charactors are distant. She just didn't use ZRon as much. And Hermionie did change, seeing as she finnally expressed her love for Ron, (sort of) she acted differently.

Hermione202
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
At the expence of sounding very dorky, and like a Harry Potter Newbie... Mainly owing to the fact I haven't posted here before, I'd like to ask,

Does anyone else think that Rowling is losing her touch? That the popularity is going to her head and that the books are laking?
I do,
I found Half Blood Prince, to be, not only predictible but dull, and dare I say it, boring...
There wasn't the attachment, I couldn't care less about Harry and Ginny, It just was kinda thrown in there, and then torn apart. She didn't develop that at all. It was just there...

It was amazingly predictable, I could tell that Dumbledore was going to die even before I read the first page.

I felt an amazing dis-connection to the characters. They seemed two dementional and the interaction was flat.

The final fight scene seemed thrown together, and without a real purpose. The Death Eaters attacked Hogwarts... Ok so what?

How the Death Eaters got in felt really out of place, even though it was foreshadowed...

Malfoy's sudden Super-evil ness and such...

The list goes on...

Opinions?

hhhmmm....... i have to agree on that one.the book was the dullest of all and the characters just didn't seem the same.
(did any of you notice the part where JK wrote Rupert once instead of Ronald?)

Saberstylemasta
Originally posted by Hermione202
hhhmmm....... i have to agree on that one.the book was the dullest of all and the characters just didn't seem the same.

Well the charactors changed because of times changing, and growing up. And she called him Rupert, because Slughorn couldn't correctly remember his name.

And In my opinion, the dullest Harry Potter book ever, HAs, and always will be, Chamber of Secerets.

KKdave

yeah that was funny, I laughed at that. And I don't agree that Hermione's character should change just because now she has "crush" (i'm grimacing as i'm typing this) on Ron. It isn't worth it to change such a solid, strong, funny character for the sake of puppy love. I wasn't very happy with the way Hermione was written. i think the best written bits in this book were the convo's between dumbledore and harry. expecially the last ones, I think dumbledore said some really vital things.

Hermione202
I know but i just thought that instead of writing the Characters for her book , she based it on the real people , Emma , Rupert and Dan.

she concentrated more on real life , than on the character in the book , the fiction.

NightCrawler341
Originally posted by KKdave
I agree on some points. I do think that some characters were not as well written as they were in the past. I felt really disconnected from Hermione, who is usually my favorite character, but in this book she fell flat, seemed cold and not the same as she had been in past books. And i didnt feel that the harry/ginny was important. I obviously just want their relationship to fail, but I felt like she wrote Ginny as trying to replace Hermione, which made me angry and I don't think worked at all or came off right. Besides those points I still think she's great, my favorite writer. Thats because for once Ginny played a bigger part. Hermione was always there, but always fighting with either Harry or Ron.Originally posted by KKdave
yeah that was funny, I laughed at that. And I don't agree that Hermione's character should change just because now she has "crush" (i'm grimacing as i'm typing this) on Ron. It isn't worth it to change such a solid, strong, funny character for the sake of puppy love. I wasn't very happy with the way Hermione was written. i think the best written bits in this book were the convo's between dumbledore and harry. expecially the last ones, I think dumbledore said some really vital things. I agree. Hermione should stay the same, not change because she likes someone.Originally posted by Hermione202
I know but i just thought that instead of writing the Characters for her book , she based it on the real people , Emma , Rupert and Dan.

she concentrated more on real life , than on the character in the book , the fiction. You got to understand that too, they are teenagers and that some of what they do should be like real teenagers do.

Hermione202
I know but they aren't ordinary teenagers and if JK wanted to change them she could have done it more slowly and not so abruptly.

NightCrawler341
Agreed.

Hermione202
Originally posted by NightCrawler341
Agreed.

yep

daeri
I thought it was a good book, I was irritated by Harry in the last one.. this one is much better.. and Draco isn't evil at all! He's a big coward and I like that about him.. <3

Hermione just didn't connected well because she and Ron weren't talking because Hermione was jealous of Lav-lav stick out tongue

Phoenix
I dunno why, but I was dissappointed with this book... I think it was because, after OotP being such a fast-paced book, the slower trail of this one DID seem dull... sad

alma negra
i feel that hermione was sort of pushed back in order to make way for ginny. i dont think you can sudenly push a strong character like hermione. she's always been in the spotlight w/ron and harry.

KKdave
I agree, I didn't like the way hermione was pushed to the sidelines a little. She's always been one of the most important people (more important then ron sometimes) and now it was like JKR was trying to make her less vital all the siudden, when in OOTP she was SOO important and was with Harry all the time. I felt like this book was a sidestep from the series or something, it didn't flow with everything else thats been happening in the past 5 books. And I agree with Phoe that it seemed a little dull.

Hermione202
Originally posted by Phoenix
I dunno why, but I was dissappointed with this book... I think it was because, after OotP being such a fast-paced book, the slower trail of this one DID seem dull... sad

I agree.i felt the same way about the book.

TheVapor
I thought the same about the book. when reading the word "empty" came into my head a bit. I didnt think the book was predictable or dull but there was something lacking in it compared to OOTP. i thought there could have been more detail to it.

DanZeke25
I liked the book a lot, and its my favorite one of them so far. Well i dont know, its hard to say which i like best, but i know that 4-5-and 6 are almost tied.

Tptmanno1
I disagree... but whatever.

Saberstylemasta
It's a good book. I really can't see why people complain about it. I do agree that the charactors were a little off, but Dracos evilness was Awesome (I always wanted him to piss off voldy moldy) and the Death Eaters attacked Hogwarts for a reason. I suggest you stop skimming the book and aucutally read the friggin' thing.

Hermione202
It lacks something , though i'm not sure what .

TheVapor
It lacks something , though i'm not sure what .

Agreed. I really liked book but like you said it lacked something

Saberstylemasta
Originally posted by TheVapor
Agreed. I really liked book but like you said it lacked something

whta It lacked was somewhat pointless detail.
Remember they gave several aragraphs describing what happened in classes, weather eventful or not. That's what seemed off about it.

Elessea
-nods- I do agreee. This felt a lot more like a lengthly more-well-written fanfic rather than the actual Harry Potter book. It just...didn't have the same feel overall...and it was disappointing

Saratn
Well I think the book wasn't as good as OOTP nor as long, but I think Rowling was just trying to experiment with the sixth book. Not all people are going to like the changes, but she was just trying something new, all authors do that. They try something from a different angle.

LiveAndLetDie
I`m still unsure with my feelings. I don`t think it`s her greatest, and at times it did seem to be like a well-written fanfiction. But at the same time, Draco became more of a vital character, Ron became a little bit mature, and it was overall a good book. Not boring or predicable at all, imo. Oh well, just my two cents.

Anoushka
thank GOODNESS i'm not the only person who feels that way

and i agree with almost every comment about the borng-ness of the book.
still,i'm gonna read the last one,after being stuck with the series for so long it'd be a waste,wldn't it?
think JK has lost it.

Saberstylemasta
I have so little faith in humans now. It was a good book, but since it wasn't 1000 pages and your ship didn't ahppen or something, you think she lost her touch...sigh...

Anoushka
um no..for your info my sip did happen...i thought the length was way better than the previous book (thank goodness)

but the book was b o r i n g compared to the rest.i'd start picking but i'm in school and have classes in less than 30min and so don't have the time to do so.

literature classes do help in the assesment of such books after all Happy Dance

Originally posted by Saberstylemasta
whta It lacked was somewhat pointless detail.
Remember they gave several aragraphs describing what happened in classes, weather eventful or not. That's what seemed off about it.

whether,honey,not weather smile i used to make that mistake so often too laughing out loud

anyway.i'll be back with my points on why i find this book disappointing esp compared to the rest once i finish classes and get my thoughts in order.
the 3rd book's still the best,IMHO happy

Saberstylemasta
Originally posted by Anoushka
um no..for your info my sip did happen...i thought the length was way better than the previous book (thank goodness)

but the book was b o r i n g compared to the rest.i'd start picking but i'm in school and have classes in less than 30min and so don't have the time to do so.

literature classes do help in the assesment of such books after all Happy Dance

whether,honey,not weather smile i used to make that mistake so often too laughing out loud

anyway.i'll be back with my points on why i find this book disappointing esp compared to the rest once i finish classes and get my thoughts in order.
the 3rd book's still the best,IMHO happy

Have Fun!

NightCrawler341
Originally posted by Saberstylemasta
I have so little faith in humans now. It was a good book, but since it wasn't 1000 pages and your ship didn't ahppen or something, you think she lost her touch...sigh... I haven't once heard anyone complain their ship didn't happen nor did I hear anyone complain it wasn't 1000 pages. People are just upset that the relationship was just there and she didn't do much with it. (I actually wanted to see more of a reaction from Ron and for how they got together more... well, I can't think of the words but him kissing her out of no where, no.) And why would you lose faith in humans over a book. PEOPLE! NEWSFLASH! HARRY POTTER IS FAKE! (*Gasp!*) Don't lose faith in people because they didn't like a book, no matter what a reason is, if it be because a ship didn't happen or they thought it as a crappy book. Someone doesn't like it, doesn't mean a decline in human intelligence.

Anoushka
happy i'm liking you more and more darling smile

NightCrawler341
^.^ At least someone likes me. *glares at Hermione and Saber.*

Saberstylemasta
I haven't once heard anyone complain their ship didn't happen nor did I hear anyone complain it wasn't 1000 pages. People are just upset that the relationship was just there and she didn't do much with it. (I actually wanted to see more of a reaction from Ron and for how they got together more... well, I can't think of the words but him kissing her out of no where, no.) And why would you lose faith in humans over a book. PEOPLE! NEWSFLASH! HARRY POTTER IS FAKE! (*Gasp!*) Don't lose faith in people because they didn't like a book, no matter what a reason is, if it be because a ship didn't happen or they thought it as a crappy book. Someone doesn't like it, doesn't mean a decline in human intelligence.

I don't lose faith because they don't LIKE the book. I lose faith because some people GO EXTREMELY CRAZY over the book. Examples, go to muugglenet's wall of shmae: speicial edition. Sad sad people, basing their life on fictional "love" that never occurs.

Anoushka
ah well.some people just get too emotional i guess -shrugs- it's a phase they'll grow out of.

DanZeke25
I couldnt care less who gets with who, as long as its a boy and a girl and there isnt a huge age difference(like Hermione and Snape) yes

NightCrawler341
There is a special edition to the wall of shame?

Saberstylemasta
Indeed there is, and sadly, I agree with most of what Emerson says...
There is a special edition to the wall of shame?

NightCrawler341
I gotta read it.

Saberstylemasta
http://www.mugglenet.com/wallofshame-special.shtml

Have fun

NightCrawler341
I just finished reading them... ok... people.... NEWSFLASH! EVERY SHIPPER NOW DESERVES TO DIE BECAUSE THEY ARE MIXING SHIPS IN WITH A GOOD BOOK! Also, its her book people, let her do what the hell she wants. If she wants to throw a naked three armed hairy Snape let her do it, you can't do anything about it! You all should be ashamed of yourselves! ASHAMED!

Saberstylemasta
I just finished reading them... ok... people.... NEWSFLASH! EVERY SHIPPER NOW DESERVES TO DIE BECAUSE THEY ARE MIXING SHIPS IN WITH A GOOD BOOK! Also, its her book people, let her do what the hell she wants. If she wants to throw a naked three armed hairy Snape let her do it, you can't do anything about it! You all should be ashamed of yourselves! ASHAMED!

This man has spoken wisdom, we should applaud him! *applauds*

NightCrawler341
*bows*

Hermione202
* throws objects at night *
thumbdown

Saberstylemasta
* throws objects at night *
thumbdown

*Stabs Hermione seventeen times in various places, causing a bloddy knife..*

Hermione202
*jumps out of the way before Saber can stab her *

no playing the roles of other members !

Saberstylemasta
There is a fine destinction her my friend, fine distinction.

NightCrawler341
There is and why'd you throw stuff at me? I was yelling at all shippers, but mostly the H/Hr because they say the book is bad and JKR is wrong about her own book.

Saberstylemasta
There is and why'd you throw stuff at me? I was yelling at all shippers, but mostly the H/Hr because they say the book is bad and JKR is wrong about her own book.

Heear hear! beer

NightCrawler341
^.^

LiveAndLetDie
I didn`t think the book was bad... no expression
*dies*

NightCrawler341
stick out tongueOriginally posted by LiveAndLetDie
I didn`t think the book was bad... no expression
*dies*

Syren
You lot are crazy... JK Rowling has not lost her touch in the slightest. She has simply had to incorporate a hell of a lot more elements into this book than in the past... what with all of the teens growing up, adolescence is an extremely difficult stage, with hormones raging etc... you should know that, half of you are still there roll eyes (sarcastic)

No offence meant by that, I just mean that you guys should be able to relate better than anyone... anyway, the fight scenes weren't the prominent parts of the book because more focus had to be applied to the love triangles, Dumbledore's death and the build up to it, a lot of loose ends had to be tied up; a lot of the characters are growing up, falling in love, getting married...

As for OOTP being fast paced, I personally thought it was a lot more drawn out and kinda bland compared to the previous 4 and HBP erm That's just my opinion, of course big grin

In conclusion, I don't think enough credit is being given to Rowling for the amazing job she has done in introducing such fantastic characters, excellent storylines and a new cult to the world. For fans, you really don't seem appreciative enough of the effort sad

Coonskin 13
Personally I just think it was different than the other five.(not worse in any way just different). I pretty much agree with Syren.(OotP WAS kinda slow). And about Ginny replacing Hermione? If anything Ginny replaced Chowink1.(Btw everybody who said that Ginny did replace Hermy was a H/Hr shippershifty) JK hasn't lost her touch she just focused on different things in this book.

Syren
Thanks big grin And I agree, Ginny was more likely a replacement for Cho yes

Movie_Geek_
I get what you all are saying but the book seem a little in the air the me. Maybe it is because I have found other books I like better now then when I first started reading them but I did think that this one was better than OotP. That one lagged in places and Harry was Mad in the hole book and that I found irritating even if he had a right to be. HBP was good but it did seem a little different then the way she usually writes. OotP was at least stuck to her style. They are all books books and still my favorites.

Creshosk
I know but they aren't ordinary teenagers and if JK wanted to change them she could have done it more slowly and not so abruptly. She's been hinting at something between Hermonie and Ron at least since GoF.

Movie_Geek_
That is when I pick up on something between the two of them but the movies are makeing it a lot more apparent.

Syren
yes I would assume body language is much easier to convey in film, wouldn't you agree?

Movie_Geek_
That gos with out saying. A bit more of the point I was trying to make is how the movies make you draw conclusions a lot easier than the book for than exact reason.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.