A History of Violence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KillTheLight
New David Cronenberg film starring Viggo Mortensen and Ed Harris amongst others.. it should be coming out around the end of September ..I've been waiting for this for a while seems pretty good..

any way here's the trailer for those who haven't seen it..

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/ahistoryofviolence/

jaden101
yep yep yep...heard about this a while back...certainly doesn't have the extreme weirdness that cronenbergs film normally have about them

looks really good though...cant wait

cheers for the trailer link

thumb up thumb up thumb up

MildPossession
Yeah been waiting for the film for ages, looks interesting. But I am looking forwards more to his other film PainKillers(sounds like back to Crash territory).

Dr. Strangelove
Can't wait for this, especially since Cronenberg is directing.

Morning_Glory
looks really good... cant wait to see this film

here is the poster http://www.impawards.com/2005/history_of_violence.html

WindDancer
Must see! I've always enjoyed Cronenberg work. Hopefully this one delivers.

SnakeEyes
This movie looks pretty awesome. I'll go see it.

What other movies has Cronenberg done?

MildPossession
Aww, Cronenberg has said he isn't going to make PainKillers anymore sad

Cronenberg has directed The Brood(recommend), Rabid, Shivers, Crash, Dead Ringers, Videodrome, Scanners, Naked Lunch, Existenz, The Fly, Dead Zone, Spider. That is all I can think of right now.

bilb
Yup.."violence' definitely looks like one to see.. esp love the casting of Viggo smile

forumcrew
got a pass to see it at a screening on tuesday night!

Solo
Originally posted by MildPossession
Aww, Cronenberg has said he isn't going to make PainKillers anymore sad

Cronenberg has directed The Brood(recommend), Rabid, Shivers, Crash, Dead Ringers, Videodrome, Scanners, Naked Lunch, Existenz, The Fly, Dead Zone, Spider. That is all I can think of right now.

He also acted in Jason X!

bardock
it looks good

MildPossession
Yep, he is also going to be in a small role in the new Sisters remake.

T.M
this looks a good movie will be seeing it.

zombieman
Saw this last night, and it is a masterpiece. Sheer suspense from start to finish, and plenty of vintage cronenberg gore. The characters are all memorable and well rounded, ed harris is pretty creepy and mortensen is well cast. Overall, id say this is one of cronenbergs finest films.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by zombieman
..and plenty of vintage cronenberg gore.

Really? The title would suggest it, but the trailer just didn't look like it was red friendly. I'm pretty sure it'll be nationwide this Friday. I'm there.

MildPossession
It's suppose to be quite graphic in the violence department but nothing for shock value.

Will be seeing it soon, can't wait. Mortenson is suppose to be rather excellent in this film.

zombieman
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Really? The title would suggest it, but the trailer just didn't look like it was red friendly. I'm pretty sure it'll be nationwide this Friday. I'm there.

Trust me, Viggos character deals out some horrific injuries to those who cross him, and they are shown in all their bloody glory.

forumcrew
Originally posted by zombieman
Saw this last night, and it is a masterpiece. Sheer suspense from start to finish, and plenty of vintage cronenberg gore. The characters are all memorable and well rounded, ed harris is pretty creepy and mortensen is well cast. Overall, id say this is one of cronenbergs finest films.

I dont know that i would go that far. I thought it was good, but i would laugh at calling it a masterpiece. And suspense? I musta missed all that there were no real suprises or tense moments. The only kinda suspensefull thing was you were quite sure when a fight was gonna take place, but that wasnt really a big deal seemed more like stalling for the sake of.. just stalling.

As far as the gore goes it is very graphic, plenty of gun shots and plenty of closeups on them.

Mandorallen
This movie looks AWSOME.

Myth
I saw this movie and it is really cool. It does not hold back. It is violent and the gore visuals are great. However, that is not to say that it is a normal action flick. It still has drama and the story is pretty good. I highly recommend this film.

Lord Shadow Z
This film just worked on so many levels, the acting was superb, the action was cool and above all that it just had a underlying tone of menace that kept me off balance throughout.

This is by far Ed Harris' best performance, he just radiates the meaning of evil.

dragon milly
Looks good, may get to go see it Wednesday when I get paid. Viggo!! droolio

Myth
The only thing that seemed out of place was the random graphic sex scenes. Those added nothing to the movie really. What was really odd was that there was no nudity during the sex scenes yet right after the stairway scene there was full frontal nudity on the wife "after" the sex scene. Of course, that did not by any means ruin the movie for me.

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by Myth
The only thing that seemed out of place was the random graphic sex scenes. Those added nothing to the movie really. What was really odd was that there was no nudity during the sex scenes yet right after the stairway scene there was full frontal nudity on the wife "after" the sex scene. Of course, that did not by any means ruin the movie for me.

I was thinking that exact same thing too... the sex on the stairs seemed completely out of place and almost funny...but it was almost stupid.. there was a little nudity .. there was a Viggo bum crack shots... not much female nudity... like i care

anyways.. I wasnt thrilled with it... Viggo was hot though droolio

the lady that played his wife.. her acting annoyed the hell out of me..meh

Myth
That scene made me think he was going to become the bad guy. I think that could have been a cool direction to take the movie.

Morning_Glory
yea if he would have tried to kill her and she tried to kill him back or something ... lol ... but the sex scene on the stairs was blah-- i started laughing during that part cause it was so gay

Darth_Erebus
Just saw this. It starts off very good and builds really well. However, the ending is a big disappointment, it ends very abruptly. For once they didn't tone down the violence just to get a PG13 rating.

Morning_Glory
the ending was total blahness yawn

Myth
The ending was great, what are you guys talking about? Do you honestly want it to turn into the stereotypical action movie where they chase around for 20 minutes? Or where they discover his "equal"? Those would have cheapened the movie.

Morning_Glory
when he sat down at the table.. I thought if the credits roll now then this is the worse ending... and well the credits did roll erm

KillTheLight

the full frontal nude scene of his wife..was totally random..it would have been better if had been her sitting on the bed and him walking past stick out tongue

Anyway loved the movie..viggo literally kicked ass ..MG I think the ending was just right ..they didnt need to show anything more..

Myth
Originally posted by KillTheLight
viggo literally kicked ass ..

I remember him hurting a lot of people in the film but I don't recall him 'literally' kicking somebody in the butt. wink

KillTheLight
i'm sure his foot must have had contact with someones ass..though you probabaly couldnt see cause he was so fast..

Cinemaddiction
Sorry, gang. This movie was pretty average. Not at all impressed, infact, rather let down. Review forthcoming.

SnakeEyes
Going to see it later today. I'll let you all know what I thought of it later.

SnakeEyes
Overall... did NOT like it. Thought the first half was decent, then it just got weird and bad. The ending was pretty damn lame as well.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Sorry, gang. This movie was pretty average. Not at all impressed, infact, rather let down. Review forthcoming.

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Overall... did NOT like it. Thought the first half was decent, then it just got weird and bad. The ending was pretty damn lame as well.

thank you, i felt like people have been seriously over rating this movie.

Cinemaddiction
Oh, I wrote a review for it, a lot more detailed as to why I didn't like it. It's in "The Vomitorium".

But yeah, it's certainly overrated if you ask me.

Waggy the Dog
what an awful film.

remy_17
yeah this movie really dissapointed me, the "violent" parts were very awesome but too short. and the random sex scenes interrupted and kind of overtook the plotline and entire movie.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by remy_17
yeah this movie really dissapointed me, the "violent" parts were very awesome but too short. and the random sex scenes interrupted and kind of overtook the plotline and entire movie.

Yeah, I loved the film but it did feel kind of disjointed and short in some areas- like the fight scenes. There wasn't any humour I can think of and the sex scenes... well the first one was okay because well, they are married but the second one was completely too random and pointless.

Ed Harris as I posted before was excellent but heavily underused in the film and so no-one had that heavy screen presence to continue the film with the same atmosphere. The ending was terrible, it just lost direction.

Murray
This movie was so blunt, it was amazing. Fantastic film. And like you said, Myth, it doesn't hold anything back.

Myth
The bluntness was good. No ridiculous chasing like you'd see in most movies. And Lord Shadow, you may not have caught onto it, but the brother was definitely humorous.

Lord Shadow Z
The bluntness was good. No ridiculous chasing like you'd see in most movies. And Lord Shadow, you may not have caught onto it, but the brother was definitely humorous.

Yes, he was but not much else.

Myth
No, not much other parts of comedy, but I'm fine with that.

Mandorallen
I was getting ready to run to the theater least weekend to see this movie, and I looked up some info on AHOV and read about the graphic sex scenes, I wasn't in the mood at all for any sex scenes (When I feel like watching sex, I DO NOT hafto go to the movies to do it!) so instead I ran to go see "serenity" and was amazed at the movie. It was great.

Princess Diana
I thought it was stunning - the sex scene when you know your in the wrong but you want someone and thy want you but you both know you will feel bad afterwards was so true to life - so needy.

It was just an excellently observed yet still dreamlike fantasy, gangster clip - Cronenberg is still god smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.