Why love Obi-Wan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AnakinDayWalker
He literally lost every single duel he been a part of except for the one with Darth Maul! Anakin constantly mentions how many times he has saved him. What has he done in the entire prequel trilogy so far to prove that hes actually a decent fighter?

Tulak Hord
Wow. I have never noticed this before, really. Well, he DID beat G.G., but not in a duel of course. He cheap-shotted the general.

Ast Rofan
Originally posted by AnakinDayWalker
He literally lost every single duel he been a part of except for the one with Darth Maul! Anakin constantly mentions how many times he has saved him. What has he done in the entire prequel trilogy so far to prove that hes actually a decent fighter?

I dont think think he is a great fighter, I just think he is cool. He does get his ass kicked alot. And he only beat Anakin because he knew his tendencies and then forced him into a mistake. He only beat Maul after a little hint of darkside.

I still think he is a great character aside from his fighting skills though. big grin

DarthGenises
He never beat Maul he just got overconfident

Human Vader
He lost to Maul, lost to Dooku, lost to Dooku, beat General Grievous, I mean lets face it, he had the upper hand in the battle, GG was fleeing from him, not the other way around. He beat Anakin, but like you said only because Anakin was a dumbass. But Obi Wan rules because hes jeedai snipah, duh.

General Zodiac
Originally posted by Tulak Hord
Wow. I have never noticed this before, really. Well, he DID beat G.G., but not in a duel of course. He cheap-shotted the general.
He cheap shotted? Grievous has 4 arms and ran like a coward. Obi-Wan chased him without his lightsaber showing that Obi-Wan is braver then Grievous. Obi-Wan defeated Maul, Grievous, and Anakin. He lost 3 duels against Count Dooku, Count Dooku, and Darth Vader (Only because he let Vader kill him)

AnakinDayWalker
Originally posted by General Zodiac
He cheap shotted? Grievous has 4 arms and ran like a coward. Obi-Wan chased him without his lightsaber showing that Obi-Wan is braver then Grievous. Obi-Wan defeated Maul, Grievous, and Anakin. He lost 3 duels against Count Dooku, Count Dooku, and Darth Vader (Only because he let Vader kill him)

Ah yes let Grevious fight Obi-Wan while theres Clone Troopers there and ready to fire. However I agree that Grevious was a wuss in ROTS but if it was Obi-Wan Vs Grevious in Clone Wars, Obi-Wan would be propley F!cked

Darth_Rankkor
I find him quite a bad fighter, but he has a great personality and empathy, that's maybe why so many people like obi 1.

General Zodiac
Grievous is a retrad!! Obi-Wan was surrounded by Battle Droids and Grievous decided to fight him. And the Clone Wars makes everyone with a lightsaber look a lot stronger then they are.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Tulak Hord

What cheap shot? that was a good aim, plus the general was a pussy to run in the first place.

General Zodiac
Originally posted by Human Vader
He lost to Maul, lost to Dooku, lost to Dooku, beat General Grievous, I mean lets face it, he had the upper hand in the battle, GG was fleeing from him, not the other way around. He beat Anakin, but like you said only because Anakin was a dumbass. But Obi Wan rules because hes jeedai snipah, duh.
When did he lose to Maul? Last I checked Obi-Wan sliced him in 2 and he fell. Ast Rofan how did he force Anakin to make a mistake. Obi-Wan said, 'Don't try it.'

Human Vader
Perhaps you should watch the movie again, Obi Wan was at Maul's mercy, the fact that Maul was an arrogant jackass who ****ed around swinging his lightsaber around has nothing to do with Obi Wan's fighting skills. And I never said Obi Wan forced Anakin to make a stupid mistake, simply that Anakin made one.

General Zodiac
Anakin forced into a mistake was pointed at Ast Rofan not you.
Second Obi-Wan was beating Maul and he pushed him into a hole. Maul had the edge with a double-bladed lightsaber and Obi-Wan sliced it in 2. And if Maul was stupid and Obi-Wan killed him because of that Obi-Wan defeated Maul. Are you one of those people that keep saying Yoda didn't lose to Sidious even when Yoda ran?

Camael
obi wan lost a light saber duel to jar jar, you guys are all silly puddies watch episode 2.7 AGAIN

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Obi Wan is wise and benevolent which makes him easy to like. He also has a good knowledge of the force. His biggest problem is that he is overconfident, so it must have come as a shock when Dooku handed him a beating
Obi Wan is far from meat with the lightsaber. He dispatched Darth Maul (who took down his master Qi Gon), General Grievous and Anakin, who thought he was a much better fighter than Obi Wan. Many lesser Jedi would have (and did) fallen to Anakin.

Captain REX
For someone of Obi-Wan's calliber, he's not that great a fighter. So what? He is very wise and knows what he's doing...for the most part.

We don't think he rocks because he can fight, we think he rocks because he's just cool!

LordSorgo
Perhaps you should watch the movie again, Obi Wan was at Maul's mercy, the fact that Maul was an arrogant jackass who ****ed around swinging his lightsaber around has nothing to do with Obi Wan's fighting skills. And I never said Obi Wan forced Anakin to make a stupid mistake, simply that Anakin made one.

Right.... I could imagine in all of his f*cking around he accidentally killed an accomplished Jedi Master. And Maul didn't win the battle BECAUSE HE DIED! I don't care how good Maul did, he still DIED, OK? SO THAT MEANS HE LOST!

david flood
ob1 also had the balls to jump down into the area where grevious was in ep3 and said ''hello there'' with confidence

he also survived the battle of geonsis in which 200 jedi where killed

he also became one with the foce

dAngEr_Is_gO!
That's right! I remember thinking when he jumped down that the guy had grapefruits. That's confidence!

Clawed The Bum
how much more of a test do you need for obis wons skills. he beat someone with one lightsaber ( anackin) . he beat someone with a double bladed lightsaber ( maul). he beat someone with 4 lightsabers ( GG). the only probablem he he had was someone with a curved lightsaber. doku isn't straight. that is why obi won felt bad for him and lost to him on purpose( hey people say that doku lost to anackin on purpose so why can't i say that). obi won fought against all types of lightsabers and beat 3 out of the 4 types. he could of beaten doku if he wanted ( well i don't bieleve so but hey why can't i say it, i feal like acting like a g@y @$$ like many people here are and say gay stuff like doku lost to anackin on purpose and yoda didn't lose to siduos and could of beaten him.) also i want to say that anackin is the chosen one, boom obi beat him. darth maul is a sith lord, boom obi beat him when he was a padwan. GG is a crazy droid dude that beat 4 jedi at the same time, boom obi beat him.

KMCF

Well he did defeat Maul. He and Anakin lost to Dooku and both did not stand a chance. He only lost to Dooku the second time because Dooku fought him Harder than he fought Anakin. Dooku knew Anakin was a Valuable asset. He could have defeated Vader But if he did Luke would have never Fought Vader. Which means Luke woould have never Tasted Defeat. Luke was pushed harder by Vader besting him in a Duel. Since he did defeat him he and was The beggining of a New Jedi Order.

DarthGenises
No Maul pwns Obi he was just being a ****ing moron during that fight

Clawed The Bum
obi won is so underated he rules. just becuase he lost one freakin match everyone says he sucks. obi won is as powerful as anackin in the force, and a better lightsaber dualer then him. anackin has the most michordarian( cant spell worth tuna fish) count every in SW history and obi is just as good force user as him. now i know you want evidence of that statment and here it is- when anackin and obi won both force pushed each other both of them got effected

Tangible God
I think it's his wit that people like him for. And his face. He doesn't have that phsyco love face like Napkin...I mean Anakin. He actually has a good acting face that's approriate for every scene he's in. The stuff he says in the speeder on Coruscant in AOTC are kinda funny, he has a certain charm people like.

Clawed The Bum
Also i want everryone here to read the new post that i posted "Why hate Obi-Won" and read the first post on that one and read the first post on this one

Darth Calladus
ok let me break it down like this:

Duel of the Fates

Maul was giving Qui gon one hell of a work out.....qui-gon is cool, but lets just be honest he cant stack up against Maul.

later on towards the end of the duel, hes just like, **** it lemme jus end him real quick. and hes done in like not even a minute.

obiwan gets pissed and he gets the drop on maul but only for a little bit. maul after getting knocked down picks himself up and is like "ok ok so you wanna get serious" and he goes to work on obiwan and pushes him in to the shaft.

anyway while hes got him down there hes ****in with him makin him look real stupid for even thinking he can stack up against Maul.

then out of nowhere and random luck qui gon's lightsaber is lying right next him.

pulls himself up, grabs the saber and its over.

maul is caught by surprise and is cleaved in half.

man i wish maul had his head on straight at the end and just finished him.then he culd just laught at quig gons while hes some what alive and then hacked up qui gon's body parts and then sell them on the internet to nerds and fanboys with no life.

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Watch it again. I think you'll find that angry Obi Wan actually dictates the fight with Maul (before that Maul had it over him), he even cleaves his staff saber in half. Maul gets a lucky opening, hits a combo and knocks Obi-Wan into the shaft. Maul does a bit of boasting thinking he's got it won and Obi-Wan has the presence of mind to reach out with the force and dispatch him.
That scene has always puzzled me in that Obi-Wan when feeding off his emotions (which Jedi aren't really encouraged to do) is a better fighter than if he is not. Perhaps that is Qui Gon's influence.

Darth Calladus
Originally posted by dAngEr_Is_gO!
Watch it again. I think you'll find that angry Obi Wan actually dictates the fight with Maul (before that Maul had it over him), he even cleaves his staff saber in half. Maul gets a lucky opening, hits a combo and knocks Obi-Wan into the shaft. Maul does a bit of boasting thinking he's got it won and Obi-Wan has the presence of mind to reach out with the force and dispatch him.
That scene has always puzzled me in that Obi-Wan when feeding off his emotions (which Jedi aren't really encouraged to do) is a better fighter than if he is not. Perhaps that is Qui Gon's influence. like i said he had the drop on him, but for only a little bit. he didnt dictate that fight. he was jus on a major offense and maul had to recover which he did. he used his absence of mind and berserked fury to gain advantage over him. in his enraged state i dont think he realised he culd of gotten force pushed in to that shaft. maul was taken by surprise but he regained control.

dgeniu
Obi-Wan is a thinker, not a fighter! He`s wise and he is a fundamental Jedi example and that is why one loves him. Plus that his hairdo remains mostly untouched despite being chased and provoked into battle, have you noticed?

Seriously, he is cool as a mentor and a thinker ... but then again, in the new trilogy, the Jedi lose more battles to the Sith rather than vice-versa...

SpiritOfTheDead
OK, how can you people ever say that Maul defeated Obi-Wan when Maul was the one who had a good look at his bottom half while falling down a shaft and Obi-Wan managed to survive for another three movies? Obi-Wan still won the fight. He just didn't overpower Maul. He outsmarted him. It still counts as winning, regardless of how he does it. Obi-Wan showed that power and skill don't necessarily guarentee a victory in a duel. Maul is more powerful, I'll give you that, but Obi-Wan is smarter, and that enabled him to take down Maul.

As for the reply to the thread. Obi-Wan isn't a hell of a lot powerful, but he is very wise and level-headed, and those two factors are the only reasons why he survived for such a long time. He is still a great Jedi Knight.

LordSorgo
None of these points mean nothing.

Reason being: MAUL DIED!

Anytime someone dies during a lightsaber fight, they lose. I don't care if Maul was "Overconfident" that means he was a lesser fighter than Obi Wan. If you cannot think during a fight and if you cannot use wisdom, than you are sadly worse than your foe. Maul died and that means he lost, that's just all there is to it!

Darth Melons
Obi beats Maul - he cut the double bladed saber in half and was winning the fight up until the point when Mr Overated Maul cheapshotted him down the pit, at which point Obi used his brain to defeat Maul. Maul beat Qui-Gon a Jedi Master and Obi was only a padawan and yet he was still overpowering Maul who was a sith trained to kill Jedi.

He loses to Dukoo in AOTC because Dukoo's fighting style is a master at 1 vs 1 fighting and Dukoo is also more powerful than him, and note how he is only beaten when got into a saber lock.

In ROTS he loses to Dukoo because he is choked and thrown across the room before he can react not in a straight up lightsaber fight.

He defeats Grievous easily in the lightsaber duel, removing 2 hands and knocking out the other 2 sabers with the most powerful Force Push seen in the films. He then takes on GG hand to hand because he lost his saber because Boga his lizard was so fast, and defeats him using his initiative and quick thinking and using the force to draw the blaster to him.

The duel against Vader in ROTS is a stalemate and he knows he is starting to lose ground and struggle against the raw power, so again he outwits his opponent to gain the advantage which he takes.

In ANH it was another stalemate but he realised he could no longer be of help to Luke as a physical being so gave his life to assist Luke from the force which was the smartest thing to do (he gives Luke the advice to trust his feelings allowing him to blow up the death star)

He takes on the 3 Sith Apprentices, Vader being the most powerful, then Dukoo (who gets NO credit he is VERY powerful) and then Maul being the weakest.

Darth Windu
Pretty good points; except Dooku easily owns Obi both times. And he's more powerful than Vader.

In AOTC, he's laughing at him an toying with him, and then finally gets bored and strikes him down. He's ready to kill him until Anakin comes in.

In ROTS, he's fighting both at the same time. He Pushes Obi away and fights off Anakin. Obi runs towards him. Dooku kicks Anakin to the ground, and chucks Obi across the room. Obi didn't have time to react, but he was the one attacking at first.

he fights more duels than anyone in the movies; a fight or two, in ROTS, three, per movie. Obi is the Keninja. He's crazy. He's wise, skilled, powerful enough, and a good character.

DarthGenises
Excuse me Darth Melons did you call Maul overrated?

Darth_Janus
Here it goes...

"But Maul did this.... Shadow Hunter that... Ray Park this... Double Saber that..."

DarthGenises
Why don't you people just accept Maul schooled Obi-Wan

Darth Windu
Cuz he got chopped in half, that's why.

Darth Windu
In a sheer one-on-one, sure, but Maul's an arrogant retard. He got told. By a lightsaber.

Darth_Janus
Yeah. If he wasn't dead, I'd entertain your fanboyism.

Darth Windu
yes

DarthGenises
It isn't fanboyism its fact I mean not even AOTC Obi-Wan could beat Maul and his power has nearly doubled by then

Darth Windu
AOTC Obi-Wan could fight Maul pretty good. BUt his power hasn't doubled, not nearly so. The greatest difference in powers is between AOTC and ROTS.

And it becomes fanboyism when you can't accept the fact that Maul lost. He was chopped in half. He schooled NO ONE.

LordSorgo
Originally posted by DarthGenises
Why don't you people just accept Maul schooled Obi-Wan

WHY DON'T YOU ACCEPT THAT MAUL DIED TO OBI WAN? HUH, FANBOY? HUH?

stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.