A theory about House of M and it's connection to Strange

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
I copied and pasted it, I thought it was a neat theory.
Lots of valid points.

'd like to think Dr. Strange is behind the madness of the Scarlet Witch. Why? A combination of ego and a misguided responsibility to save mankind from itself. Some clues from Avengers Disassembled:

Strange delivered Wanda's children, yet couldn't tell they weren't real.

He lied when he said "There's no such thing as Chaos magic". If there wasn't chaos magic in the Marvel U, how could Wanda tap into it in the DCU? (Avengers/JLA)

How far away is Greenwich Village from Avengers mansion in Manhattan? Far enough to not hear the sounds and news of an alien invasion?

At what point was Wanda supposed to have forgotten she had twins? Was it the same time all her friends thought she forgot? And what kinds of friends hide information like that?

Let's see what's happened as a result of Wanda's attack: Prof. X , the world's strongest telepath, and Magneto, possibly the most powerful mutant on Earth, are fully occupied with keeping Wanda sedated. Wanda and Agatha Harkness, two powerful sorceresses, have been "eliminated". Earth's Mightiest Heroes have radically reformed with traditional loners and an unstable superman. Soon Wanda will change the entire world, which you know is going to be bad for mutants again!

Seems like the perfect opportunity for someone with almost limitless power to take over the world. Dr. Strange: telepathic, commands eldritch powers, leaves his human body as often as possible, and converses with ancient gods. Already known to be arrogant and manipulative, (Defenders).

Can we establish a histroy of sexism, or at least a disregard of women? How'd he treat Clea?

Yes, I know these things can be easily explained by different writers producing conflicting stories and Bendis being incompetent. But how great would it be if it was "revealed" one of the oldest and most powerful heroes in the Marvel Universe had been manipulating people for the last few years?

Or longer?

What if Stephen Strange actually became the Sorcerer Supreme before all other Marvel Heroes got their powers? What if Dr. Strange is responsible for the origins of the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Daredevil, and the return of Captain America? Could he have helped create Onsluaght and the Heroes Reborn pocket-Earth? Drawn aliens and monsters to Earth to distract or "eliminate" Earth's heroes? Brought Mjolnir's mold to Loki's attention, thus setting Ragnarok into motion? What's to stop someone who can traverse dimensions from mixing elements of different timelines? Say, bringing the children of Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborn from an alternate reality, sloppily working them into the Marvel U,
and give Peter Parker one more reason to seek help by joining the new Avengers? (OK, that last one's a stretch, but I'm on a roll.)

Think of it this way: When Stephen was a surgeon, he was arrogant and cold. When he lost his skills, he didn't settle into another medical field. Rather, he searched the world for a way to restore his skills. He found the Ancient one. When Stephen saved the Ancient One, the wizard took it as the first unselfish act in Stephen's life. What if it wasn't? What if Stephen was saving the only man who could help him? If the Ancient One was a good judge of character, he never would have taken Baron Mordo as his apprentice. Stephen learns the secrets of the universe. He learns to see the "big picture" and humanity in terms of the forces that act upon it. The invisible world becomes more real to him than the rational world. Demons and ancient spirits are his to command. He gains the power to do almost anything through sheer will.The man with a god complex becomes God.

I' m not saying he was never a hero. He was. He's saved the Earth and countless lives. He sees himself as a good man so he does good things. But his definition of "good" doesn't always match ours. Strange strikes me as an "ends justify the means" kind of guy. And when someone weilds as much power as he does, that's a dangerous threat.

ScarletSpider
It was mostly Bendis just being a shitty writer, and having a sloppy editor. Strange has used chaos magic many times himself.

Nataku8188
Marvel writers aren't smart enough to think up a conspiracy theory that complex.

DigiMark007
...ah, but if only they were...

ScarletSpider
Yeah they are, just not the popular ones with hair and no lisps. Brubaker and Priest tell some amazing stories (although the benefit from having worked for both companies, and Priest is also a 30 year veteran of the biz).

whirlysplat
JMS certainly couldbig grin
nice try Longpig and it was a good story.

DarkCrawler
Rare picture of Bendis at his work:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/Monkey-typing.jpg

long pig
sad I know it's not true. But when I read it, it sounded pretty neat.

So, it's JUST shitty writing?

RSSR
Reading that, that would make for an interesting story...

Scoobless
Originally posted by long pig
Some clues from Avengers Disassembled:

Strange delivered Wanda's children, yet couldn't tell they weren't real..
she alters reality... she's doing it now in House of M... her powers seem to be able to override the Eye of Agamotto causing Strange to not see the truth
He lied when he said "There's no such thing as Chaos magic". If there wasn't chaos magic in the Marvel U, how could Wanda tap into it in the DCU? (Avengers/JLA)

she believes she controls it, so when she senses magical energies and applies her real reality warping powers she does control it

plus it's a crossover story..... written for the sake of money.... not continuity (ok they're all written for money, but you know what i mean)

How far away is Greenwich Village from Avengers mansion in Manhattan? Far enough to not hear the sounds and news of an alien invasion?.

the "Invasion" was created by the witch in an instant... Strange is often meditating and not in touch with the "real" world around him.....
At what point was Wanda supposed to have forgotten she had twins? Was it the same time all her friends thought she forgot? And what kinds of friends hide information like that?.

don't know and the kind that don't want her re-writing existence.... embarrasment

long pig
But...Strange isn't even ON THE EARTH right now.

He's up on cosmic charges for changing the timeline in Spiderman#500
He took Spiderman back to the past to have a last day with Ben for a b-day present, the cosmic tribunal of judges were none too pleased.

BTW, I didn't write that theory, I copy & pasted it from the Marvel boards.

Scoobless
well he's in House of M as a psychiatrist (possibly psychologist)

long pig
Indeed....but is he reallllly?? What's the best way for someone to get knowledge from people? A psychiatrist!

Did you know it's canon that Strange in continuity was the sorcerer supreme 30 whole years before the FF got together? Even his current bios clock him at near 100 years old, human years.

So starting the ff is possible....CONSPIRACY!!! stick out tongue

DarkCrawler
Whoa...he is nearly as old a Namor is...how can he be that old?

Scoobless
........ embarrasment

Scoobless
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Whoa...he is nearly as old a Namor is...how can he be that old?

magic............. duh

lol

stick out tongue

long pig
Do you want to see a comic of Dr.Strange in 1939ish?

It isn't canon, but he's possibly Marvel's second hero.

It is canon though that he was SS 30 years before the FF got together.

long pig
http://www.drstrange.nl/drstrange/realm/stuff/thrillingcomics1.jpg
http://www.drstrange.nl/drstrange/realm/stuff/goldenagedrstrange.jpg

Scoobless
who's the guy in the hooded claw disguise?

long pig
Looks like the guys from "I know what you did last summer", but less gay.

Mainstream
Looks like the guys from "I know what you did last summer", but less gay.

my godlike cable sense is tingling cable

long pig
What's it feel like?

manjaro
bendis is just a hard guy to get your head around, i wouldnt call him a shitty writer. the onlydumbass thing he has done would have to be wehn he had ultimate spidey and wolverine switch minds by way of jean saying to logan thats what would happen to him if he ever hit on her agiain, she would make his mind go to the last place he wanted to be, then boom it chooses spiderman

ScarletSpider
That doesn't even look like it's a Timely comic. Dr. Strange is just a cool name and it got recycled.

long pig
Oh, it isn't canon. But that guy still used magic which had to be the first draft of the guy.
It is canon though that strange was sorcerer supreme 30 years before the FF and such happend.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.